Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Youth HPL league

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutov

Dec 14, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the best kids are not playing for the Provincial team now because of the cost and travel time, I guess the question is how will the HPL change any of this? If the Provincial team is still going to be $5000.00(?) or so to play, what is the difference to what we have now? We may end up with less kids going for the Provincial teams if it is going to cost families an arm and a leg to be in the HPL.

We would then be back to the funding problems again.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks "I_S". Is it somewhat the path that one ultimately needs to ( or should ) go though? Even if it may not necessarily be ALL the best kids? I would think that of course naturally there will always be some great players who do not participate in the BC program but who are better than some Provincial team members.... but on an overall basis, would it not be "the best squad"?

I really don't know, I'm looking for educated opinions.

IE; where would you send your kid if you had the options?

Right now I'd look to the closest club that has an organic development system and a clear pathway to preparing the player to chase a University Scholarship in the NCAA. This will allow the player to keep options open to attend trials w/ any HPL team, should it become what it is intended to be, or the Cap's Residency, or???

The BCSA is so disfunctional so far as elite planning...don't think I would bother. Besides, ask yourself...in your wildest dreams, what is the highest you see your kid getting to? The NCAA is an attractive option for a lot of very good players for a lot of very good reasons, in terms of keeping options open and getting a great education.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I imagine the disproportionately high number of Van/Rich/Burnaby/NS kids has to do with the following; geography, economic status, population. How many kids even from Langley particularly want to drive all that way that many times a week for provincial training AND then pay those high amounts for it when they can play SYL? I know there are always exceptions. The provincial team is not a "provincial" team and we all know it.

Very good point.

In any event, somewhat skewed results, if we're judging success on the Provincial program? Afterall, we've already debated the cost to play on the team as a major disincentive...

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
??? Got me. I am, brand new to the club! But I do know of one player being courted by Bolton Wanderers, and has chosen not to drive or pay to be a part of the provincial team. You can be sure there were others. I would suggest the same goes for loads of kids from all over the lower mainland. Including Victoria.

Regarding this player being courted and the "others", these are exceptions and when there is only ONE provincial team, there will be MANY, MANY, MANY exceptions like these. This doesn't mean that the Provincial Team isn't "the best". ( FTR I am not saying it is )
It's impossible for the Provincial team to have ALL the "best" players so I'm not sure if citing this example of "an awesome player over here" and "that fantastic player over there" is really a fair means to criticize a program. BTW...I am playing devils advocate here and not defending the program as I don't know enough to criticize or defend it.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Krutov. HPL is VERY different than the BC team. HPL has local clubs kids can access as opposed to centralized BC team training, and of course HPL is cheaper than BC Team in registration fee, time, and driving.

Soccerdad. You state the obvious just there. I know there are many exceptions. Every club will have an exception or more. But the point is it can't be a provincial team when training is only in GVRD (I can't recall if its in Burnaby or Richmond these days), as are the tryouts. How can a kid from Nelson, Prince George, or even Kelowna get on a provincial team without....many many many favourable turn of events, not least of which somewhere to live once on the team, let alone the ability to get to tryouts in the first place. And since you only get to go to one of the open tryouts, you had better perform that one cold night you get to show your stuff.

This is where HPL becomes key. "The best" can truly be scouted in the HPL and invited. Kids may or may not accept, but at least they were invited. This still leaves out kids from around the province but it's a start I guess.

It hasn't been stated that I am aware of if BC Team will still charge those HPL players selected to the BC Team.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm known as Captain Obvious in some circles.

Your last sentence Bettermirror is kind of what I'm trying to determine...not just due to the money but also whether to even consider pursuing both. IE; if my kid makes a HPL squad, how strong should our desire be to even look to the BC team? The money consideration can often help in these decisions as well. ; )

So, if I'm to somewhat read between the lines, you're saying that due to HPL, the Provincial Team may or will become less relevent? ( even less than you feel it is now ).

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually, I am of the belief the provincial team will become MORE relevant as the best from HPL will be scouted and potentially invited to BC Team. It will be up to them to accept, I guess. The cost of BC team on top of HPL will be a significant .... hurdle.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am just wondering what the $2500 is getting these kids over the probably $200 they pay to play Selects. Is there travel tourny's that this helps pay for or is this just to pay coaches. Also wondering who these coaches are and what they are realistically getting paid. I do feel coaches who are working with a high level team 4-5 days a week do deserve some compensation, because it is time away from their family and a pretty big committment. If we don't want coaches with their son on the team they need to be paid at this level but what is a realistic wage.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BC Teams will be gone shortly as the WFC U14, U16, and U18 programs take shape (word on the street is that they will be up and running very, very soon). Word will come out shortly about them and make the BC Program redundant at these age groups.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
hmmmm....I see.

...at that point cost would be a factor as, if a high number of players asked to come out to the team are already playing on and paying for an HPL program, the additional dough wouldn't be very appetizing.

Is this what you were essentially getting at?

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
BC Teams will be gone shortly as the WFC U14, U16, and U18 programs take shape (word on the street is that they will be up and running very, very soon). Word will come out shortly about them and make the BC Program redundant at these age groups.

just to be 100% clear..."WFC"?

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought so, wanted to be certain.

HMMMMMMM......things are coming into focus for me now. I had several unanswered questions about how things would shakedown this fall between HPL, WC and the BC team.

If djones is correct, this sheds alot of light on things. ( for me anyway ).

anyone happen to know if U14 is the youngest? and not U13?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very interesting. I would assume these teams wouldn't cost the players/parents anything?

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes. They have to.

Selecting for it will be a big issue. What scouting have they done?

Will the residency players that meet those age groups be pulled out as academy players can't be paid?

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes. They have to.

Selecting for it will be a big issue. What scouting have they done?

Will the residency players that meet those age groups be pulled out as academy players can't be paid?

Sorry djones...."Yes, they have to" ...to what is this replying to?

soccer stats

Feb 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here are some stats for u bollocks i hope u agree that the chart looks nice and who ever did this I bilieve did some research of his own. I was lucky to find this on the side fo the road. I thought I share it with you and rest of the TTP group and hopefully better mirror will like it too.
bettermirror - these two charts just show Elite Player Development ... and yes, our application had quite a bit of info/research on the above. Stats don't lie though!

Attachments

• Presentation1 (2)[1].pdf
    220.4 KB · Views: 171

Cantonafan

Feb 3, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
"This is where HPL becomes key. "The best" can truly be scouted in the HPL and invited. Kids may or may not accept, but at least they were invited. This still leaves out kids from around the province but it's a start I guess".

Are you kidding me? OK so the present Select League has 10-12 teams and HPL will have 8, but is that any reason why the Provincial Coaches should not be now be scouting the kids in game situations now rather than in a half hour tryout ordeal. The U14 Prov Coach has been a no show all season. I have seen approx 25 games this season at that age group mostly involving the top teams and I can recall seeing Prov. Coach for almost half of 1 game only.

Fortunately it is not true of all of the coaches, the U13 Coach is visible at almost every game. Good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0