Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New teams, possible changes, and probable improvements to the premier div next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know what you're on about; that was a great touch to your striker with the monobrow...

You're about as predictable as Mrs. TheRob is a kind hearted, gentle, wholesomme young lady. She's as cute as a button.

Get a good read Skytrain? Maybe you can report that to Mrs. TheRob on the commute home tonight. Putz. :rolleyes:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Monobrow

I was surprised he got it, his vision is a little fuzzy.

I know, I know, back on topic.

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nothing Changes

Glad to see the debate continues over the VMSL and FVSL saga. Everytime a post from the FVSL contingent appears, Regs reacts like someone pissed in his cornflakes and is still maintaining that holier than thou trip thought process which continues on the one way street to absolutely nowhere.

Dude made some good comments and Yoda repeated them just as well...... Keep up the good work lads.

My original point, which seems to have been taken somewhat out of context, was that if the Leagues combine and pool their talent together, that would mean that all the best players in the area would be able to play each other more regularly and improve the standard of the one league overall. I don't me today or tommorrow, but over time, giving that the right structure were put in place for the league to adapt to the increase in teams.

Regs is right, there is no real advantage to the existing VMSL adopting any valley teams into its premier division. However, overtime players and teams will shift around because of the merger and hopefully all the very best players from both leagues would end up in the one Premier division.

Thats all

Cheers :cool:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tell you what then... review this thread over here:

http://www.takethepiss.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2710

Sounds like the structure you are trying to envision the FVSL being a part of. Where would you fit in current FVSL teams per division?

I've read earlier in this thread where you stated the FVSL execs would want 5 teams in the top flight where the VMSL would counter with only 2 tops. Correct?

I suppose my contention is that I can't see how the FVSL brass could justify 5 teams right off the bat based on historical results. I've beaten that point to a pulp already and if you still argue that I'm taking an holier than thou attitude about it then there are no amount of words I can say to get you to "listen".

Concerning the notion that over time, more players currently playing in the VMSL would venture back to valley-based teams... I'm not so sure that would happen due to a couple of factors.

Firstly, there is already a lot of "player movement" within the current VMSL set-up. Motives for doing so are rarely (IMHO) due to playing closer to home. Some are based more on ethnicity, some on friendships made through college/university teams, and some are the result of players looking for perceived 'contacts' that other teams seem to have (look no further than the Dormers moving to Sporting from Slurrey as a prime example).

Secondly, w/o making some noise in the BC's before any of this would happen, FV-based teams would still be branded as "FVSL" teams. The so-called "stigma" would be there (that's not a piss-take, for lack of a better term, it's what I've come up with). The recruitment process would still be a huge task that current teams already have in your league.

The idea of a "super-league" has been presented many times before. I do think it has potential and should be explored more. However, I don't think the way it is being "presented" here will ever come to fruition. You would need to make a seperate entity for anything close to fly and keep the VMSL/FVSL as they are.

~Regs.

PS. on a personal note, I think you are all second-class citizens when it comes to soccer playing abilities. Anyone who grew up playing in the valley will always be shite.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk you baldier than thou!

FYI I never grew up,

I grew out.

I'm Peter Pan!!!

Now that's constructive.

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I personally disagree with the 5 team proposal from our executive. It is very important to them, and rightly so, that the FVSL be represented to its fullest. You can't blame them for trying. However it is not feasible and would not help alleviate the "Stigma", that you have so clearly stated, that exists between the two leagues.

The post with the proposal set up you listed has a lot of merit and with some fine tuning in certain areas could work quite well. I'm not sure it is the complete answer, but it is on the right tracks.

Don't be so sure that players wouldn't move out to the valley if the terms and conditions were right. The Valley has far superior facilities, on the whole, than the Vancouver area and they are getting better. Training on grass under lights twice a week, corporate sponsorship, good coaching and wages..... think about it. I whored myself around for eight years looking for the right deal, but that's me.

Obviously a better showing in the BC's would help, but I believe the principal behind a united league is the answer for the future and improvement of soccer here. I certainly do not have all the answers and this debate could go on forever, who knows :(

Craftyjusttryingtolosethestigma

Cheers

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well Second-Class Citizens should Start in Div. 1

Originally posted by Regs
PS. on a personal note, I think you are all second-class citizens when it comes to soccer playing abilities. Anyone who grew up playing in the valley will always be shite.

Have to agree with Regs here, what does this merger do for the VMSL, yes it would help to develop the quality Lower Mainland Soccer, but why should the VMSL have to accept FVSL conditions for this to take place.

If the VMSL was to accept any FVSL Premier teams, I think it should be into the 1st Divisions. 4 FVSL teams would be accepted into the 1st Div. changing both SideA and SideB to 12 teams. I know, too many teams on the two sides, look what happened to the Premier Div. when teams were added.

But in this case, you would be adding established teams to the mix, teams that would be very competitive in thier first year.

Promotion would work the same, top team from each side goes up the Premier, if one of the valley teams that come over were to win the side, then they would be playing in Premier after 1 year, plus all div. 1 teams have a shot at Provincials through Imperial Cup.

The VMSL should look at adding FVSL teams to the League, but on thier terms, and what makes sense to OUR League. There would be no east/west Divisions, just the best teams that are in the Lower Mainland, if you want to play in just the east or just the west, play in either the VMSL or FVSL lower Divisions, but Premier would Open to all Areas from WestVan to Chilliwack.

No free rides to Premier, I think even SFC will just be moving over as a CAT team to Peg, making SFC a very strong Club in the VMSL with Peg in Premier, Fireman in Div. 1, a solid CAT team, and a good Over-35 team in Surrey Rangers.

HOS

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Off topic:
HOS: That avatar is pure brilliance. :D :D
Regs: The produced-in-Valley-shite lure was pretty good also. :D
For those that don't know, Regs' mom is a Surrey girl. :p

HOS, your attitude is the same as the EPL with respect to Rangers and the other club. ;)
Do you agree with the sassanachs that two teams that would easily compete in the EPL having to earn promotion?
Maybe apples and oranges, but still.

I like the idea of a merge, but I think you would see a decline in a valley presence in the BCs initially.
As much as other VMSL teams probably deserve to go to the BCs more than some Island and Valley teams, it makes it a wider geographical competition.
I've also been a proponent of having Interior teams in the tourney.
It's like the World Cup, it's unfair that shite countries like fcuking Saudi Arabia go to the show, and grossly unfair that top Euro talent like say, Scotland, don't get to go as the qualifying is tougher.
Maybe a merge with BC exemptions for Valley teams? :confused:

Yours to ponder,
RF

RFagreeswithHOSthatSFCwillhaveacrackingO-35teamnextyear. :D

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apples and Orange bastards more like.;)

The Auld Firm issue is all about competition for money. Oh and by the way they both accepted the offer to join the First div. It was bottom feeders in the EPL who stopped the move because they knew their futures would be in doubt the following year.

The div 1 option is fair.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even Rangers and Celtics should Start in Div. 1

Originally posted by Rangerforever
HOS, your attitude is the same as the EPL with respect to Rangers and the other club. ;)
Do you agree with the sassanachs that two teams that would easily compete in the EPL having to earn promotion?

I like the idea of a merge, but I think you would see a decline in a valley presence in the BCs initially.
Maybe a merge with BC exemptions for Valley teams? :confused:

If the Celtics and Rangers want to play in the EPL, I think they should start in Div. 1 then try for Promotion, it would not be fair to the Teams in Premier that have worked hard to get there and to stay there.

As for the Valley being represented at the B.C.'s, I think that the FVSL would still get some berths or berth to the B.C.'s. With the top four teams leaving the FVSL, I would not take away all 4 births into the B.C.'s. I would think that they would still get 1 berth, say the winner on the Pac Cup.

I think that the VISL has earned its 4 berths for the B.C.'s, not just the Gorges performance the last 2 years, but performances by other teams from the Island in the last 10 years.

As for Berths from the Interior, Kelowna is always strong in the PCSL league, but many of the players are from Vancouver, but I would think they should have a shot at a Provincial Berth through a play-off of some sort.

If SFC and GN Sport leave the FVSL Premier Div. this year, what will happen to this Division. I know they are weaker teams in Premier, but a Division can not run on 4-6 quality teams alone.

HOS has Calloused Hands with New Avatar.:eek:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't see GN moving over...it doesn't make sense for them.

I say 8 VMSL teams, and 2 FVSL teams in a merger. The rest get allocated into the respective divisions, and earn their way up. Things would work themselves out over time. I'd then name Rangerforever the "LMSL" commissioner, with HOS as second in command...just don't let him touch anything before first washing his hands.

Off topic: Peter Pan's girlfriend, Wendy, was hot.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apples and orange bastards - clinical. :D
My Auld Firm buddies - always the voice of reason. :cool:

HOS: Great points sure-shot.
Bring them into the league but have them compete in a separate valley cup still - cool idea.
A couple of guaranteed berths (of which the Rangers will take one ;)) with the scope of a greater overall league competition.
I like it.

RFthinksthatHOSisn'tjustanotherprettyface

star #1

Aug 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Rangerforever

A couple of guaranteed berths (of which the Rangers will take one ;)) with the scope of a greater overall league competition.
I like it.

RFthinksthatHOSisn'tjustanotherprettyface

the last time i checked you still have to win one more game to get the guaranteed berth, should be a good game.

lp79

Nov 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
LucV...

Word on the street is that the 2 maple ridge players on Hibs are coming home next year........

You should be really weary of your sources, There is no truth to any of this.
Correct they are coming home as they do every summer but one is in contract negotiations with his current club.
The other is returning to go back to University in the states on a full scholarship.
And knowing both and playing with both until they left Canada I can assure you neither will be playing for a FVSL team if they were to come home....

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Twinkle, twinkle little star.......
How I wonder how YOU HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT I'M TAKING THE PISS? :D

First, we're talking about a future year in an undetermined ficticious league.
Secondly, I assure you, my team isn't looking past you.
I've watched you twice and played you once in a Peg jersey.
I rate you guys OK?
Last but not least, if you want to make some banter to hype our match over my comments, please by all means commence TTP, always up for it.

I do agree, should be a good game. ;)
Sunday March 30, South Surrey still?

star #1

Aug 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rangerforever,

Im not sure when the game is going to be played because i believe that they have pushed the GEU-Delta game up to this weekend, so im not sure if they will do the same with ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts