Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MWSL Selects 2007/2008 results/banter

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Club Ireland 2 Westside Renegades 0

A game we dominated from start to finish, not allowing a shot on target all game. Despite having 6 starters out of town(a freak weekend for stuff I guess), the 4 division one call-ups , 3 youth call-ups, and stand-in goalie did a great job of shutting down the dangerous Westside team. Over the field, we were a little quicker and thoroughly deserved the win. A nice way to start the season.

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Club Ireland 2 Westside Renegades 0

A game we dominated from start to finish, not allowing a shot on target all game. Despite having 6 starters out of town(a freak weekend for stuff I guess), the 4 division one call-ups , 3 youth call-ups, and stand-in goalie did a great job of shutting down the dangerous Westside team. Over the field, we were a little quicker and thoroughly deserved the win. A nice way to start the season.

Always nice to start out the season with a strong performance Ali! See you on the pitch soon (er, perhas from the sidelines for me).

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congratulations to Munchkin and Burnro.......

Club Ireland 'A' 3 Sapperton 1

We did not play well and Sapperton only had 11 players.....they did a great job all game of battling and the scoreline flattered us greatly............

Can'tHeadABall

Mar 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still haven't seen Mini-Munchkin cuz I was in P.G. on the weekend but I hear she'll be playing for us in 17 or 18 years but of course we could flip for it Ali., if we're still around. I'm sure Burnro will have something to say about where she plays.

Burnro

Jul 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Alikira and CHAB...if I'm still involved with the hoops in 16-18 years, I'm afraid mini-Munchkin will don the hoops!

Have you guys had no time for any match reports? This thread is completely dead, which is very unlikely for you two in particular!?!?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Club Ireland 'A' 2 Richmond Stingrays 0 (last night)

Club Ireland 'A' 1 Kerrisdale 0 (last week)

I've missed the last two Selects games unfortunately.......so I can't say too much.....

We have 4 wins and a draw at this time I believe......

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I haven't been able to report much as I haven't made it out to too many of our first few games, but I did manage to catch this morning's game.

Kerrisdale 1 - Westside Renegades 1

I made it for the second half and thought we were both lucky to have tied it, but also unlucky not to have won it outright. Apparently Kerrisdale had quite a few chances in the first half but couldn't find the back of the net. A couple of breakaways and a sitter inside the 6 yard box, but no finish. The second half Kerrisdale dominated, but a nice shot from a Renegades player found the back of the net towards the end of the game. Isn't that always the way? One team appears to be in control, but if they can't find the net, the other team gets a lucky or against the play goal and lucks out with the win?! Kerrisdale did battle back to get the tie, but really should have put the game away well before that.

It was too bad we didn't get the other 2 points, but it was nice to be out and watch the girls and cheer them on. I can't wait to get back out there. I hope the little one's eratic sleep/feeding schedule will cooperate with game days and training :rolleyes:.

Mini-munchkin is going to have a tough decision on her hands in a few years when it is her turn to play. Burnro will want her to play for the Club I organization, but I will definitely want her to play for Kerrisdale...Maybe her dad and I can play "rock/paper/scissors" to see who she'll play for? :D

Congrats on the win Ali. Still going strong I see. I heard that our game last week was close. I'm not sure how close, but CHAB said the he thought we played pretty well against you, that it was a strong battle, and that this was definitely our strongest competition so far this season.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Munchkin,

You and Burnro just have to have another kid..........make sure it is a girl and one could play for Kerrisdale and one for Club Ireland. :D ;)

As for last week's game, I know Club Ireland had 11 players and that was it.......so it was a struggle at times according to Bruce.

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby Canadians Selects 1 - Kerrisdale 0

Didn't actually make it out to the game as mini-munchkin decided she didn't want to go to sleep until just after 5am, so mum-munchkin was sleeping for our ridiculously timed 9am kick-off! Haven't had an official game report yet, but heard that the game was close. Congrats on your win Ali.

Given the miserable conditions, I give kudos to everybody that actually showed up to play or watch a game!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Club Ireland 'A' 4 Burnaby Selects Canadians 0

Nice to beat the team whose coach last year decided he couldn't play on Friday night only to have the league force a forfeit on us.....What's that about Karma? GIRUY

Selects West GP W L T F A +/- PTS
Club Ireland A 8 7 0 1 17 3 14 22
Burnaby Canadians Selects 8 5 1 2 10 8 2 17
Burnaby Canadians Tigers 7 3 2 2 13 8 5 11
Sapperton Rovers 7 3 3 1 16 13 3 10
Richmond Stingrays 7 2 3 2 9 9 0 8
Westside Renegades 7 2 4 1 9 9 0 7
Kerrisdale FC 7 1 4 2 6 11 -5 5
NSGSC V.O. 7 0 6 1 2 21 -19 1

It's hard to believe, there are only six games left. :confused:

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kerrisdale 3 - Richmond Stingrays 1

Nice to get a win for my stellar return :rolleyes:! Wow, the brain knew what I wanted the body to do, but after 8 months of not playing, the body had better ideas and decided not to respind in the time frame that I had in mind. Otherwise, not a bad performance from us. I thought we came out a little sluggish, but started to pick things up about 15 minutes in. Nice goal from Krissie off a turn and low shot to the far corner. Richmond's goal came off some sloppy marking in our own end to tie it 1-1. A nice goal from Deacon off some great individual work getting around 3 players in the centre of the park to finish on a good shot to the far post made it 2-1. A bit of a fluke goal from one of our players off the outside of her boot lobbing it towards goal ended up going in to make it 3-1. It wasn't pretty that one, but we'll take it for sure!
Mini-munchkin got to see her mum play for the first time, and other than the damn sniper that took me out the first minute i was on the pitch with no one around me, it wasn't so bad! I can still walk today and I'm not doubled over with muscle seizures, so I figure it a success. Looking forward to this Sunday's game. Good luck.

PS - where is everybody?? It is livelier ina a graveyard than in here :(!!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Club Ireland 2 Broad Street Bullies1

Fortunately, the better team won on the day but unfortunately the game turned into a hockey game thanks to classy displays by a few players on Kerrisdale. Minoru Arena was just around the corner and that might have been a better venue for a portion of the Kerrisdale team. Thuggery at its best....Munchkin was doing her best to calm her out of control teammates down but it didn't work. The coach obviously didn't control his players and made no attempt to do so. I will be blunt. It was an absolute goon show and as usual the ref let it get to the point where a fight almost broke out. They had 1 red and 3 yellows within a 10 minute span in the second half. They should have had more players sent off for blatant intent to injure. We did lose a player thanks to one of the many cheap shots from behind. I wouldn't expect more to be honest. They did it in division one and they do it in Selects. It might explain why Kerrisdale is at the bottom of the league. Having said that, there are a couple of classy girls on the team and I really feel sorry for them. It must be very frustrating for these girls to be playing with goons who obviously have no intent on playing soccer. Munchkin and Kristen............thanks for trying to control your players. At least someone on your team gave it an effort. It certainly didn't come from the sidelines........

And once again, we had a ref who really didn't give a crap about the players well being and just wanted to collect his $50.......:mad: :mad:

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Club Ireland 2 Broad Street Bullies1

Fortunately, the better team won on the day but unfortunately the game turned into a hockey game thanks to classy displays by a few players on Kerrisdale. Minoru Arena was just around the corner and that might have been a better venue for a portion of the Kerrisdale team. Thuggery at its best....Munchkin was doing her best to calm her out of control teammates down but it didn't work. The coach obviously didn't control his players and made no attempt to do so. I will be blunt. It was an absolute goon show and as usual the ref let it get to the point where a fight almost broke out. They had 1 red and 3 yellows within a 10 minute span in the second half. They should have had more players sent off for blatant intent to injure. We did lose a player thanks to one of the many cheap shots from behind. I wouldn't expect more to be honest. They did it in division one and they do it in Selects. It might explain why Kerrisdale is at the bottom of the league. Having said that, there are a couple of classy girls on the team and I really feel sorry for them. It must be very frustrating for these girls to be playing with goons who obviously have no intent on playing soccer. Munchkin and Kristen............thanks for trying to control your players. At least someone on your team gave it an effort. It certainly didn't come from the sidelines........

And once again, we had a ref who really didn't give a crap about the players well being and just wanted to collect his $50.......:mad: :mad:

I agree with your assessment that the stronger team won as Club I is a young, talented, quick team. I do however, disagree with some of your other thoughts about the game, especially the braod street bullies part. Your post Ali makes it sound like the Club I team were angels and innocent in the tackling department. Now, I am in no way saying that a couple of Kerrisdale players shouldn't have showed some more discipline on their part, and there were a couple of tackles from behind that should have been called and weren't, but there were a few Club I flailing elbows that connected with our players, and there were also a couple of questionable tackles. The incident that led to the red card started when your player elbowed my player in the head, which wasn't the first time in the game. From my vantage point it looked accidental and my player should have controlled herself without retaliating the way she did, but what about the undisciplined reaction from your other coach, Bruce? He temporarily lost his mind and said some pretty disgraceful things on the sideline. I don't for one second think that is normal behaviour from him, but shocking nonetheless when a coach calls an opposing player a bitch, regardless of what she did to deserve it, and yells it so loud you could hear it across town. I also think it is unfair to imply that our players were tackling with the "blatant intent to injure." The red card was warranted and I don't disagree if that was what you were referring to, but otherwise, none of our players were trying to intentionally hurt or injure your players. Bad tackles happen because of bad timing and bad judgement, but your team was not without a few untimely tackles themselves, and I don't for one second think they were trying to hurt us on purpose. As for the other yellow cards that you mentioned, they all came after your player was injured, and I think the ref felt bad because he hadn't called a foul on the original tackle, which was warranted, and was trying to make up for it after being absolutely berated by your coach. The yellows were obvious over-compensations for the missed call, as they were phantom fouls from my vantage point.

I think one of the biggest problems in all this was the ref who wasn't calling anything that needed to be called for either team and frustrations started to get the better of a couple of Kerrisdale players in particular, not the whole team. If calls had been made for both teams at the beginning of the game, it could have been a much different game. I'm disappointed that it turned out the way it did as it had the potential to be a good tilt given both teams are talented and competitive.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Munchkin,

We will disagree on this one. The player on our team who was carried off the field was purposely chopped from behind. It wasn't an accident....the play in the corner previous to that wasn't an accident. The assault on our player for the red card wasn't an accident. It was premeditated. As for the accusations of the 'numberous elbows', it is an easy thing to say when you can't see them I suppose. The yellow cards were fully deserved and he didn't feel bad about our player being hurt. Your player chopped her from behind with no intent for the ball. A straight red for that wouldn't have been out of order. And I did say in my post that it was several players from your team, not your whole team.

As for the comment from the coach, obviously it was completely out of order. He felt horrible about it immediately after it but let's get something clear, Munchkin, he shouted one thing not 'many disgraceful things'. I'm sure if it was your daughter who was assaulted like that, you might have a few choice words? ......I'm not going to post what your player had said previous to that because it makes no difference. Naturally you're going to listen to what your players said/heard and vice versa. It was disgraceful what took place in the latter part of the game. Club Ireland was the better team on the day and frustration is no excuse for outright thuggery. I haven't seen a performance like that in five years in the womens' league and I've seen a lot of games during that time. Munchkin, several players on your team went in to injure and to deny that would be very difficult. It is a shame that any game of soccer would turn into that, let alone this one game. The girl who received the red should get no less than 5 games for that assault.

Of course the league won't deal with it properly......which it didn't when a referee wrote in a complete lie as his game report several weeks back...which is why I wasn't able to coach in the game on Friday night. The ref who was reffing the game does a good job in mens' games and it was disappointing that he let stuff go which led to the assault on our player. Hopefully his report will mention that but we'll see if the league gets something right.

Should I mention what CHAB said to a one of our players because he was apparently right out of order and it was nice that he was trying to blame his parents on the sidelines at the end of the game. I will ask the girl to post exactly what was said if we need to but I don't think I'll bother going there.

Either way, the better team won on the day and it was shitty that a game could turn into something like that. It should never happen.

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Munchkin,

We will disagree on this one. The player on our team who was carried off the field was purposely chopped from behind. It wasn't an accident....the play in the corner previous to that wasn't an accident. The assault on our player for the red card wasn't an accident. It was premeditated. As for the accusations of the 'numberous elbows', it is an easy thing to say when you can't see them I suppose. The yellow cards were fully deserved and he didn't feel bad about our player being hurt. Your player chopped her from behind with no intent for the ball. A straight red for that wouldn't have been out of order. And I did say in my post that it was several players from your team, not your whole team.

As for the comment from the coach, obviously it was completely out of order. He felt horrible about it immediately after it but let's get something clear, Munchkin, he shouted one thing not 'many disgraceful things'. I'm sure if it was your daughter who was assaulted like that, you might have a few choice words? ......I'm not going to post what your player had said previous to that because it makes no difference. Naturally you're going to listen to what your players said/heard and vice versa. It was disgraceful what took place in the latter part of the game. Club Ireland was the better team on the day and frustration is no excuse for outright thuggery. I haven't seen a performance like that in five years in the womens' league and I've seen a lot of games during that time. Munchkin, several players on your team went in to injure and to deny that would be very difficult. It is a shame that any game of soccer would turn into that, let alone this one game. The girl who received the red should get no less than 5 games for that assault.

Should I mention what CHAB said to a one of our players because he was apparently right out of order and it was nice that he was trying to blame his parents on the sidelines at the end of the game. I will ask the girl to post exactly what was said if we need to but I don't think I'll bother going there.

Either way, the better team won on the day and it was shitty that a game could turn into something like that. It should never happen.

I was in no way trying to defend the red card incident or the play where your player was injured. Both were awful and incidentally it involved the same player. I wish there had been some discipline shown as I hate to see that happen and I was not trying to excuse those two events as accidents. I was only trying to point out that there were some questionable tackles /play from your team as well that I did see while I was on the park. I wasn't trying to excuse the parts of the game that got out of hand. As for Bruce's comment, I know he felt horrible. Regardless of what my player did/did not say before that (which I didn't hear and neither did you for that matter as you weren't there, were you :rolleyes:), it wasn't his "daughter" that was hurt and although he no doubt cares for his players a great deal, it was inexcusable behaviour from a coach.

As for CHAB, I was beside him on the sideline before and after the red card, and never heard him say anything. Doesn't mean he might not have or perhaps he said it when I wasn't there, but I didn't hear it, thus would question if your player heard it from him or someone else on our sidelines. I did hear one of our player's boyfriend and a couple of our parents pipe up with a couple of choice comments directed at Bruce but again, at the end of the day, no matter what was said or who said it, it wasn't right and should never have gotten to that point.

So we are going to have to agree to disagree as you said. I know you were not accusing my whole team, but the majority of us do love the game and play because we want to and have every intention of playing soccer when we hit the pitch and I will defend that. I was not excusing the actions of one or two because there was a disgraceful lack of discipline and I regret that a player was injured from it, but wanted to point out the game wasn't as one sided as your post sounded.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No I didn't hear anything from my vantage point(I wasn't at the field ) but I do know what was told to me, just like you know what was told to you. Anyway, it's over now, and hopefully everyone will be one big happy family.

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
No I didn't hear anything from my vantage point(I wasn't at the field ) but I do know what was told to me, just like you know what was told to you. Anyway, it's over now, and hopefully everyone will be one big happy family.

Hmm, I'm sensing some sarcasm in that hope as there are no smiley faces anywhere ;)! But yes, it's over and here's to moving on.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0