Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[MWSL Division 1] Predictions, Results & Banter - Dec 05 & Jan 06

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
New thread for games in December (the few make-up games set for this weekend) and January.

Post away....

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm surprised that Captain hasn't beaten me to this, so here goes!

Kerrisdale 1 - Club Ireland 0

A well fought, evenly played battle by both teams. Club I caused us a few fits with a couple of high roving midfielders, but we managed to srt it out after afew minutes. We had a couple of good chances that I thought we were unlucky no to have scored on. Alex made a fantastic save in the first half off of one of them, a nicely placed low shot to the far post from about 20 yds. out. I think she should get style points as well for the horizontal dive and tipping the ball wide past the post - a very athletic looking move!! We did get a goal off a nice through ball (from me) to Tonya, who took a couple of steps past their defenders, and riffled a lovely shot far post, that actually hit the inside of the post, and thankfully for us, bounced in!!! phew...Club I poured it on after that, and we basically tried to hang on. The four forwards definitely caused us some moments of panic, but we weathered the storm!! Both teams played some nice football, and while it wasn't always pretty soccer, it was a a good game on a georgeous day!

Hope eveyone has a great game today.
Munchkin

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
munchkin said:
I'm surprised that Captain hasn't beaten me to this, so here goes!

Kerrisdale 1 - Club Ireland 0

A well fought, evenly played battle by both teams. Club I caused us a few fits with a couple of high roving midfielders, but we managed to srt it out after afew minutes. We had a couple of good chances that I thought we were unlucky no to have scored on. Alex made a fantastic save in the first half off of one of them, a nicely placed low shot to the far post from about 20 yds. out. I think she should get style points as well for the horizontal dive and tipping the ball wide past the post - a very athletic looking move!! We did get a goal off a nice through ball (from me) to Tonya, who took a couple of steps past their defenders, and riffled a lovely shot far post, that actually hit the inside of the post, and thankfully for us, bounced in!!! phew...Club I poured it on after that, and we basically tried to hang on. The four forwards definitely caused us some moments of panic, but we weathered the storm!! Both teams played some nice football, and while it wasn't always pretty soccer, it was a a good game on a georgeous day!

Hope eveyone has a great game today.
Munchkin

It's funny how things look MUCH different from the sideline than they do on the field. :D I was very pleased with the football we played throughout the game, particularly in the first half. Kerrisdale had two shots in the first half - both from about 18 - 20 yards out and I believe Munchkin had one of them when she came out of the back. We had a couple of great chances in the first half, particularly when our striker found herself about 8 yards from goal but kind of stubbed her shot into the keeper's hand. Kerrisdale's game seemed to be looking for a long ball to number 12 who was able to do nothing against the 16 year-old who was marking her from the 10 minute mark onwards.....The second half started off slowly for both teams with nothing really happening...then we started to take control again, once we threw our starting strikers back on. The girls did everything we asked of them - except score again. :) :( Kerrisdale's goal, from my perspective was a ball that was played out wide(our left-midfielder was a little bit out of position) to their player. Our sweeper came across to block the shot but somehow it went through her legs(it looked the girl toed the ball from my perspective) off the far post and in. Certainly fortunate for her and unfortunate for us. I was actually disappointed because I thought we deserved more at that point but as Munchkin said, we came strong until the end but couldn't get the tying goal......certainly not without chances, particularly when our striker spun the defender about 12 yards from goal but again knocked a fairly weak shot into the keeper's arms. All in all, I think the loss was probably a bit harsh in terms of play BUT if you don't score goals, you're not going to win games. Simple. We don't score goals and to be honest, we've probably played two of our best games this year in our last two.......We are still in relegation danger so hopefully we can get our shooting/scoring boots on for the new year against the Rovers, Shooters, Stingrays....

What I like about the Kerrisdale is that they are a good bunch of ladies to play against. There was no bitching/moaning/cheap shots and our girls mentioned that after the game too. They are good sports and that is the way it should be. Good luck in the rest of your games, Kerrisdale. If NOrth Shore beat the STingrays today, which I would be surprised if they didn't IF they had the same team against us AND we manage to beat the Stingrays next time, which I believe we can, you just might have a chance to win the league. Our fight to stay in division one will likely come down to the last game......

Have a great Christmas or whatever holiday you celebrate everyone.

Hail Hail

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Your version of the game Captain is actually not that different than mine...I probably didn't include enough detail in my report. It was definitely not one of Kerrisdale's better games (or prettier ones for that matter!) and I didn't mean to imply that we played a better game, but there were a couple of times when we were unlucky not to score. One from outside the 18, and one from just outside the 6 that got lumped over the net. I thought Club I played a strong game, and you were also unlucky not to score on a few occassions, but as you succintly put it, you can't win if you can't score. We struggled with that very same thing against the Rovers a few weeks ago. It is hard to lose when you play a decent game and don't get the result you think you deserve :mad: , but we'll take the points and run with this one :rolleyes: .

It really was enjoyable to not have to deal with players chirping and swearing at each other (from the other team anyways ;) ), and I can say that the 2 games we played against you were the cleanest, least nasty games that I remember in a long time! I definitely don't think you guys deserve to be battling for relegation as you are definitely stronger than the other teams you're fighting against, but I wish you the best of luck anyways :D .

Spazz, how'd your game go?

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't play (much to my team's disappointment) THANK GAWD! I was not into it.... the field was frozen and it was too damn cold.

Ref came and called it based on the Strathcona being frozen, especially the goal mouths. We warmed up and the toes of our boots were white & frozen! :eek:

Sucks cause we need to play these games and it just so turns out my Fury check was out of comission (bot good circumstances for her but saved me from pulling a muscle or something from trying to keep up with her ;) ) which may have given us a slight advantage but if we'd ahve played soemone would've bailed and hurt themselves!

munchkin

Oct 21, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just Want to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year :wa: . Enjoy your time off from soccer and see you in 2006.

Munchkin :D

Can'tHeadABall

Mar 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Conductor,

You out there?? Just checked the Vancouver Parks Board website and it looks like our game on Sunday is on "User Discretion". I would say we are good but by the time the 12 pm and 2 pm games come around, it may not be playable. Hope we can get our game in and the referee doesn't cancel it :mad: . My girls are getting antsy.

CHAB.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
In our pool (Div 2), there are already 2 games cancelled due to field unplayable!
We are on South Park School at 12pm, so hopefully the 9:30am game doesn't tear it up to shite!

GOOD LUCK ALL!!

striker14

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why don't all of you go squat at a Richmond field like the rest of the world is doing. Geeeesh!
I don't mind the youth getting priority of the fields, especially when I get some reffing in... but really now:mad:

CHAB,
I think you need to check again...the updates have been made. Must be the baseball diamond portion of SW Memorial that's the 'unplayable' part:rolleyes:

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC, you are so right about why it got shut down!!Must be the baseball diamond portion of SW Memorial that's the 'unplayable' part! CHAB I know what you are talking about the Fury girls are looking to redeem themselves after only showing up last week with 9 girls.I geuss cause I was in Whistler with our other coach the ladies decided to play hooky last weekend:confused: Good luck to those who do get to play this weekend!

Can'tHeadABall

Mar 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks SC,

I got the email from the scheduler around 3:30 pm. Conductor, we could always go to a bar or somewhere where they have that foozball thing. I'm sure Munchkin is a ringer at that.

I am highly doubtful we will even get a game in next week as we host Norvan at UBC and it is worse. That one really is bad and it's suppose to rain all week. Looks like our 1st game back could be the bloody playoff game. Not the best conditions for us as it will have been a good 2 months since a game.

Conductor, I would be willing to play a Thursday night make-up game if one can be found and the league approves since we train Thursdays anyway?? Let me know.

CHAB

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry to butt in again...but it looks like teams will have to make their own arrangements in order to get these games in. I suggest trying to get a field together rather than having the scheduler pick a day and time for you.

It's going to be tight (we all know that) but the last thing you want is the game between two Vancouver teams being scheduled in Burnaby:rolleyes:

BTW, why doesn't Burnaby give up their fields so easily to non-residental players:confused:
That's a BIG "hmmmmmmmmm".

Can'tHeadABall

Mar 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC,

You can use your "Butt" anytime. I have tried booking Burnaby Lake on various occasions and because we are a Vancouver based team, they won't allow us to rent it. I know, I have tried.:mad:

CHAB

Spazz,

What days do you train??? We could play the Shooters on a Thursday evening if you guys can book the Turf field since you are a Richmond Team. PM me and we can discuss because we are the home team vs you guys in a make-up.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry CHAB, I meant to say "why does Burnaby give up their fields so easily when the MWSL schedules make-up game against two non-Burnaby teams?".

Perhaps someone has a lot of pull in getting the fields:confused: .

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CHAB since you asked about our game.... here goes....

How to put it in a good way without insulting any players (case we all know some women can't hack TTP)....
Let me start with saying that maybe it had to do with me almost being 30 and I'm slowing with old age! ;)

Excuse #1 - it was our first game since December (we're down 3 or 4 games) from all the cancellations so we were out of shape

Excuse #2 - the size of their home turf field was monsterous and you couldn't see through the rain to the other side! :eek:

Excuse #3 - we have a new keeper that is still learning how to play with us and she let in 3 in the first 10 minutes but were missing our sweeper who tends to hold us together (we were missing her the day we played you). After she was there and we changed keepers it was a level game for a while...

Excuse #4 -Norvan is a lot younger and is obviously used to playing on a large turf field so they used that to their advantage

Excuse #5 - we have only 1 sub..... IF THAT!

Is that enough or should I continue? It ended with us walking, huffin & puffin at a 6-1 loss. It sucked. We are better than that but we were tired.

We're supposed to be playing Club I on their lumpy field this weekend but I'm praying for a rainout!

Can'tHeadABall

Mar 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spazz,

I do miss your reports:rolleyes:. Are you getting crucified AGAIN with this new team:confused:. It'll rain this week and next so I'm sure there'll be more cancellations. Yup, it is a very big field from what I remember. Don't knock being over 30:cool:

Good luck this weekend.

CHAB

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can'tHeadABall
Are you getting crucified AGAIN with this new team.

Nope, but just covering my ass!

It wasn't a good game and our coach have no problems teling us so.... so I'm reiterating, not trash talking my team!

We need to pick up a player or two but there's none out there.....

YEP, here's hoping for rain!! C'mon rain! (I'm going away this weekend and would rather not rush home to get thumped again :eek: )

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spazz said:
YEP, here's hoping for rain!! C'mon rain! (I'm going away this weekend and would rather not rush home to get thumped again

Way to have faith Spazz :rolleyes:

So many excuses...so lil' space it seems..I haven't actually seen someone number their excuses before...ha ha ha!

Were there any good points to your game...at all...not one? And I don't mean the 90 minute whistle ;)

striker14

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
striker14
Were there any good points to your game...at all...not one? And I don't mean the 90 minute whistle

Sure, I mentioned our weeper coming late but then calming the koas and working the offside trap (to save us from chasing down the young girls) and our 1 goal....

Should I have mentioned the few breakaways that didn't end up with a point? (kinda like yours where ya bailed? :eek: ;) and I noticed you neglected to comment on that!!)

Nope, it just wasn't a well played game for us. And 8pm Sunday kickoff is not a good time to play....
Unlucky! We beat them last time.... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0