Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Gillis - your new Canucks GM

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is no way you trade the Sedins... they can be one of the top second lines in the NHL. And have been the only positive offensively we have had.
We have some money to play with... and some depth in some positions, with argueably the best goalie in the game.

I know its simpler said then done.

But go out and buy/trade prospects for a first line.
Sedins on second line with almost anyone, (look what they did with Carters and Pyatts)
Kesler, Burrows etc on the third line.
and the same defensive core, (hopefully healthy)
Roberto Luongo in Net...

We have that Shnieder kid, Bourdons, etc... and some cap room to get at least 2/3 of a top line.

Gillis should be able to do the job. Trading two seventy point players away for one 90 point player isn't going to do it. They are just entering the prime of there game, and could/would be one of the best second lines in the game. (with a big, goal scorer who finishes the 100 chances they set them up for)

hell, put me on the Sedin line. They can bounce it off me in 82 games and I can get 30 points.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franchise...you know, whatever anybody else says about this topic is irrelevant for this point: you're an idiot.

Any owner of ANY business should have their finger on the pulse. They should also place people they trust in their key management positions, and extend that person some parameters to work within.

In a situation where a GM is in the position of pulling the trigger on a MAJOR deal that can have a long term impact on the business, but is considered HIGH risk, damn right he’d better be running the decision past the owner. Because you see, idiot, if he doesn’t he has breached the trust of the business owner. A key to running a successful business is having the communication lines open and honest.

It was well known and reported- confirmed by Noonis- that Aquilini voiced his preference to Noonis that he wanted the BR deal done at Tampa’s asking price. Noonis objected. Aquilini told Noonis that the “call was his, but it had better work out”.

Noonis, IMO, made the right long term decision for the company while gambling that the team would make the playoffs this season, thus saving his ass. Plan backfired on him. I think he deserves a great deal of respect for not pulling the trigger on that particular deal, but is track record while here was very unspectacular. One great deal, several smaller, poor deals.

In any event, your perception of reality is way out in left field. You don’t “get it”. Weather Aquilini turns out to be a meddling owner a la Steinbrenner remains to be seen, but if you think most successful GMs don’t consult their owners before pulling the trigger (or not, in this case) on major, franchise altering moves, you’re out to lunch.

Yeah your explanation makes you look brilliant....you are going by rumors not facts:rolleyes:

Why do they have GM's then? Why wouldn't owners just make trades? Explain?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In ALL businesses, owners put the best people they can afford in place to handle certain duties. That doesn't mean those EMPLOYEES aren't 100% accountable to the owner writing the cheques. I.e.: a restaurant owner may hire the best chef he can afford, but you can be damn sure the chef will present the new menu to the boss before running with it.

I could go on with a plethora of examples, but you are apparently too stupid to understand.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
In ALL businesses, owners put the best people they can afford in place to handle certain duties. That doesn't mean those EMPLOYEES aren't 100% accountable to the owner writing the cheques. I.e.: a restaurant owner may hire the best chef he can afford, but you can be damn sure the chef will present the new menu to the boss before running with it.

I could go on with a plethora of examples, but you are apparently too stupid to understand.

Really because I can name a handful of resturants that the owner has nothing to do with menu as that is the reason they hired the chef. The only thing the chef does is work within a budget and that is reported to the owner.(i.e Habourside Holiday Inn Halifax, Frogstone Grill Maple Ridge, Frog on the River Coquitlam to name a few)
...so try again
Just because your job has you report everything to the boss doesn't mean that every other job does as well.

I can use my job for iexample if you like but you would be to stupid to understand so.....

back on track....The Canucks owner is a lier and the new gm doesn't have a clue so lets see what happens ....can't wait for Gillis to resign Naslund and continue on as captain:rolleyes:

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My boss / owner has his hand all over the pulse . But to your point Franchise some business owners are silent and just see the bottom line and roll over to the other side of the bed. But to own a professional hockey team (large business) you'd think major decisions would be discussed?

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
All I am saying is that the GM's job is to make trades not the owner! Owners don't make trades plain and simple.

On a side note heard tonight that there are a few GM's who won't deal with Gillis (i.e Kevin Lowe) missed the other names on the 1040. Pretty tough to make trades with your selection of teams is cut in half because people won't deal with you.

My opinion is that made a stupid signing with an unexperience person!

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Think about it Franchise.

You own a business, with a large portion of your Pie is invested in.
Millions of dollars..
When huge Million dollar contracts of your money is about to be spent.
You better know.
Never put another man to make your "big pie" decisions"

Imagine that person making some big mistakes, and having to lose or sell the business cause of it.

Think about it.

Are you kidding me.

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
It sickenss me to agree with Franchise. The only person lookingt over the GM's shoulder ought be the President.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Think about it Franchise.

You own a business, with a large portion of your Pie is invested in.
Millions of dollars..
When huge Million dollar contracts of your money is about to be spent.
You better know.
Never put another man to make your "big pie" decisions"

Imagine that person making some big mistakes, and having to lose or sell the business cause of it.

Think about it.

Are you kidding me.

1)The bold sums it up...the owner obviously knows

2)GM's make trades

3)and for your third point Nonis didn't make any which was a mistake and he was fired

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Really because I can name a handful of resturants that the owner has nothing to do with menu as that is the reason they hired the chef. The only thing the chef does is work within a budget and that is reported to the owner.(i.e Habourside Holiday Inn Halifax, Frogstone Grill Maple Ridge, Frog on the River Coquitlam to name a few)
...so try again
Just because your job has you report everything to the boss doesn't mean that every other job does as well.

I can use my job for iexample if you like but you would be to stupid to understand so.....

Your lack of intelligence astounds me...

First, you've listed pubs, not actual FINE DINING restaurants. Pubs don’t have chefs. They have cooks. Or, you know, guys they scrape out of a ditch, throw an apron on, and tell them to cook. Lion & him family, for example, own a fine dining restaurant in Vancouver. Ask him how important the chef and menu is to the overall success of the business (I’d say a critically important hire), then ask him if he will just let the Chef run w/ a new menu w/ out reviewing it first.

To your other example, in my job I am the boss and owner, and damn straight- my guys do not have authorization to either quote or take on a large scale job w/ out running the logistics by me first. We have certain dollar levels / complexity levels they can quote up to w/ out my authorization too. Why? Because it is my money they are playing with, and the big jobs can be either a major boom to the business, or bankrupt you.

Your hockey knowledge and opinions are irrelevant to this little side bar conversation. I somewhat respect your opinions on hockey and the game, even though I don’t agree. What you’re trying to argue here is not about hockey. So, I'm just pointing out that ON A GENERAL LEVEL you really are as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Again, that's on a GENERAL LEVEL. I hope you understand.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
He is the "general" manager. You are the owner.

Franchise,

You telling me if you owned a business, you would let your G.M. do anything with YOUR money?
You wouldn't give him a cap to play with, and anything above that should go through you?

This is your money, your business, but you would let someone else deal with your life?

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

Franchise,

You telling me if you owned a business, you would let your G.M. do anything with YOUR money?
You wouldn't give him a cap to play with, and anything above that should go through you?

This is your money, your business, but you would let someone else deal with your life?

A little off topic...

Lion wat is your restaraunt?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude:

Why should it astound you? He's been proving it every time he posts. Besides, he's a Leafs fan...:D

Actually, there is a point in there somewhere: not every job requires immediate and total feedback to one's manager/employer. In most cases, we kind of hope that when he is flipping burgers, the Franchise doesn't need ownership input to make sure he's not burning them...:rolleyes:

Later.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You make a very good point.

Lion: I just sent you an e-mail at the "info" address regarding a retirement dinner for our retiring Operations Manager. Lemme know.

Back on topic: Franchise is as dumb as a bag of hammers. Discuss.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Franchise,

If you don't hire people you trust with your money then there is a problem. (thats why there is a cap)

Gm's are hired to make trades and run the team during day to day operations..their is no argument thats what they do and you not getting that makes you look as dumb as DUDE!

You guys need to wake up and do some research!

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess I have a problem then.

If my staff is about to make wholesale changes to the business... I wanna know. PERIOD!
CAUSE ITS MY FCUKIN BUSINESS... LITERALLY.

Day to day operations is much different then signing someone for millions of dollars for many years.

What if Gillis goes out and signs the next best thing ... hmmm,.. BIG COUNTRY REEVES.
That would effect more then the "day to day operations" of Franciscos business..

Answer my questions from my previous post.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Day to day operations, not franchise altering decisions. Aquilini was involved in the BR mess since it was a potentially FRANCHISE ALTERING decision. It went beyond Noonis’ authority.

Go back to flipping burgers.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0