Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Gillis - your new Canucks GM

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good? Bad?

Will he be talking a couple of his most recent clients, sans Naslund, in coming to Vancouver (Demetra(sp?), Holik)?

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What experience does this guy have at running a team? I think we just went from bad to worse?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm in favor simply because it'll promote a level of thinking outside the box.

You can't say this is not an experienced hockey man who knows the ins and outs of the salary cap. He absolutely does. As an agent, you also have to have a good handle on the prospects coming up.

Yes, he'll need a right hand man like Tambi, but I think this is a great move. Balsy, bold, but great move.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Naslund is back as captain I will officially be cheering for a new team next year!

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had 11 games worth of tickets this past year and quite frankly won't be doing it again as it wasn't worth it. I'm also a little tired of seeing the teams from the west over and over.

I think Pittsburgh may be my team?

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've read a bit about this guy and like Dude said, knows his stuff. He wants to play an uptempo exciting brand of hockey which is sorely needed here, and he's got the player knowledge and salary cap to try and build that. Nazzy may be back next year as I can see him playing in an offensive system here. Not for $6M though.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No way I see Nazzy back next year. If anyone knows he needs to move on it is is former agent. Gillis also lives in Vancouver, don't forget.

I don't think Naslund has the pace anymore to play up-tempo. And like Girth, if he's back, I'm officially a Penguins fan.

bluebird

Mar 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
the way i see it is a G.M's main role is to get playes to their club and this guy has been a major player in negotions over the last few years between clubs and players
he will know every trick in the book and im sure he will have a few favours to call in
get the right coach and just ask him who he wants and this guys has a great chance of getting them
i think its a great signing
let the negotiator do the negotiating and let the coach do the coaching and let lord stanley........ well ok maybe im going over board :wa:

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not that I am a big Nazzy fan but for 2 million (if he would take it) how could we say no to the 25 goals he scored on a crap team this year. I say he is back with a big pay-cut. Name a new captain and just let him play.

Not sure what other 25 goal man is available?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Easy. You resist the temptation. Simple as that. Talking about that "missing" 25 goals has become so popular. What about the missing 10-20 goals Naslund was expected to produce? At his former pay scale, they reasonably expected a healthy Naslund to produce 35-45 goals.

What happened w/ getting the Sedins a winger w/ size and a mean streak to play with? What about changing the direction of the franchise?

I don't get what this city's facination is with this guy. He was a shitty leader, and a perimiter player who had a lethal wrist shot in his prime. His contribution was window dressing last season. Most players with a half decent offensive skill level can produce 25 goals while playing year round with the Sedins.

You simply thank him for his years of service, and advise him that he will not be offered a new contract. Then you move FORWARD.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jury is out on this one. Yes, Gillis does know how to valuate players and play GM poker - he's done it enough on the other side of the fence. However, he definitely won't be admitted to the old boys club exactly because of that association with the other side of the fence. Unless Tambellini gets more admin work to do (the kind of stuff that Gillis hasn't done before), this might be a very long season coming up.

Does this mean that Gillis will be a yes man for Aquillini? Possibly. I'm getting the feeling that the owner is in love with the idea of hanging around with pro athletes, so there might be a bit of a grace period while the starry-eyed phase lasts. If, however, the team starts to tank in November, watch the inner Harold Ballard come out, and our favourite team turn into the sad sack Laffs of the 70's.:rolleyes::mad:

There is one thing you can guarantee - this will keep Neil McRae going for another season....

Not jumping off the bandwagon, but getting a bit tired of having to push it,

Trece

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jury is out on this one. Yes, Gillis does know how to valuate players and play GM poker - he's done it enough on the other side of the fence. However, he definitely won't be admitted to the old boys club exactly because of that association with the other side of the fence. Unless Tambellini gets more admin work to do (the kind of stuff that Gillis hasn't done before), this might be a very long season coming up.

Does this mean that Gillis will be a yes man for Aquillini? Possibly. I'm getting the feeling that the owner is in love with the idea of hanging around with pro athletes, so there might be a bit of a grace period while the starry-eyed phase lasts. If, however, the team starts to tank in November, watch the inner Harold Ballard come out, and our favourite team turn into the sad sack Laffs of the 70's.:rolleyes::mad:

There is one thing you can guarantee - this will keep Neil McRae going for another season....

Not jumping off the bandwagon, but getting a bit tired of having to push it,

Trece

I don't think he'll be a yes man as that's the reason he's turned down the 3 other times he was sought after.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
For all of you who thinks the GM asks the owners before dealing with a situation, you got your wish!

Fire Nonis great move:rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franchise...you know, whatever anybody else says about this topic is irrelevant for this point: you're an idiot.

Any owner of ANY business should have their finger on the pulse. They should also place people they trust in their key management positions, and extend that person some parameters to work within.

In a situation where a GM is in the position of pulling the trigger on a MAJOR deal that can have a long term impact on the business, but is considered HIGH risk, damn right he’d better be running the decision past the owner. Because you see, idiot, if he doesn’t he has breached the trust of the business owner. A key to running a successful business is having the communication lines open and honest.

It was well known and reported- confirmed by Noonis- that Aquilini voiced his preference to Noonis that he wanted the BR deal done at Tampa’s asking price. Noonis objected. Aquilini told Noonis that the “call was his, but it had better work out”.

Noonis, IMO, made the right long term decision for the company while gambling that the team would make the playoffs this season, thus saving his ass. Plan backfired on him. I think he deserves a great deal of respect for not pulling the trigger on that particular deal, but is track record while here was very unspectacular. One great deal, several smaller, poor deals.

In any event, your perception of reality is way out in left field. You don’t “get it”. Weather Aquilini turns out to be a meddling owner a la Steinbrenner remains to be seen, but if you think most successful GMs don’t consult their owners before pulling the trigger (or not, in this case) on major, franchise altering moves, you’re out to lunch.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
So I have heard the Lions Share of the presser today now since I was stuck in traffic and the TEAM pre-emted the CL game for an extended version of the Rick Ball show.

Obviously Gillis doesn't have a track record...so we have to reserve judgement for the time being...And all we got to hear was his rhetoric and perception of the team...and I for one liked what I heard.

He said the team needs more speed and grit. A willingness to go to the "Dirty areas" and kept referring to "Utility" and "Utilities" a player brings or a group of players bring, instead of the old "potential" and "qualities" and other buzzwords I have heard Nonis and other GM's use to excuse their inadequacies.

Reading into that has me thinking he wants more of a quick moving fiery lineup...puck moving defensemen and grit, the kind of grit you see that successful playoff teams so far this year are showing...not letting up on the boards for a puck battle to hit the opponent first, but getting there first, making a play then getting hit.

If I allow myself to read through the mass of rhetoric I will make a few predictions:

Sedins are officially trade bait
Pyatt, Petttinger, Cowan, and Isbister are all gonzo (All big men that play like they are 5'7 or are small guys that are punching bags and take dumb penalties)

I would forsee that he will have to make a decision before this years deadline, maybe by the draft, that he needs to assess where we are in relation to Lu's contract, and if we are not in a mode to challenge for a cup within the next two years without devastating the farm and prospect/draft list than Luongo is now trade bait too, simply because without steps towards success your chances of holding onto Lu are slim to none.

A lot remains to be seen, but what I will say is that Gillis said the right stuff I wanted to hear as a long suffering Nucks fan...Average or competitive is not acceptable...It is go or no-go...and that is all I wanted to hear.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0