Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Men Open] 2005 Provincial Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am SOOOOOOOOO excited about getting ANOTHER CHANCE at provincials.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Fcuk you, Dude.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not to keep flogging Seabiscut here, but I can't help but notice that the loser of this week-end's Jackson Cup will secure homefield advantage for the round of 16 and the quarterfinal, should they advance that far.

If you look at the full tournament bracket on BCSoccer.net (PDF format), you can see that Jackson Cup runner up will get Langley at home in the opening round, and then get the Poco-Westside winner at home again in the quarters, should they advance that far.

This is HIGHLY suspect, more than I originally thought. If you take into account that a Provincial Cup run is a maximum four-game affair, having home field Island advantage for two consecutive games is fairly substantial.

When you consider that both Vantreights and Gorge are probably aware of this prior to playing the game which will decide it.....well, it's brutal, IMO.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FIRST OFF... Whoever deleated my post is brutal, IMO... I didn't type anything out of the ordinary nor was it off topic... What gives??? :confused:

Sensei, give it up... There is no way in hell either team is going to throw the match (a cup named after KNVB's kid can't be worth much) to get a better draw in the BC's!!! We all know winning the BC's is priority number one, but competitiveness and the opportunity to hoist a trophy and drink out of it after a local derby is way too much to give up...

one man, one vote

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness,

First off, it was me who deleted your post, probably because it was repeated information or something.

Secondly,

Perception is reality these days. Playing 2 home games on the Island has not only competitive advantages but financial as well. Not to mention that it does give a league/team a 'choice' on who they will play in the first round of the BCs and increase their chances at moving on through the competition. This 'choice' is not given to any other league/team.

Personally, I think the BCSA should look into making the 2 rounds being played in one location, in one weekend. This is the way it was done in the early/mid nineties and it was great.

Some may balk at having to play 2 games in one weekend but the reality is that it isn't that bad, plus it prepares the eventual Cup winner for the hellish 5 games in 6 days Nationals fiasco.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness said:
Sensei, give it up... There is no way in hell either team is going to throw the match (a cup named after KNVB's kid can't be worth much) to get a better draw in the BC's!!! We all know winning the BC's is priority number one, but competitiveness and the opportunity to hoist a trophy and drink out of it after a local derby is way too much to give up...

You're confusing opinion with fact. I never opined that anybody would "throw" the game, but merely presented a shitload of factual evidence which showed that the Jackson Cup loser stood to gain a lot given the untimely nature of the Provincial Cup draw. Please find any post where I claim that either side would throw the game in order to achieve home field advantage. In fact, my original post states:

While I highly doubt either team will consciously "throw" a Cup Final, you have to wonder why BC Soccer decided to do the draw three days before the Jackson Cup final (Saturday, April 2nd) was to be played.

My point is that it fcuks with the integrity of the whole Provincial draw process and KNVB Jr. Cup game. "Competitiveness" and "the opportunity to hoist a trophy" lose a lot of their lustre when the Jackson Cup runner-up stands to benefit from their performance more than the winner does, especially in the Provincials. You cannot tell me that having both teams know this information will make the Jackson Cup final a better game. If anything, it would seem to have tainted it to a certain degree.

As for the local derby rhetoric...you giving insight as to how much the Cup games means for Vantreights and Gorge is comical. Unless you're a VISL historian, a former Gorge or Vantreight player or have played in a bunch of Jackson Cup finals, that whole point would be rendered MOOT.

This is just a mind-boggling decision by BC Soccer, especially in light of the Pak Cup situation, which was handled in a totally different manner. The worst part is that there seems to be no logical reason why things played out the way they did.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
sensei_hanson said:
This is just a mind-boggling decision by BC Soccer, especially in light of the Pak Cup situation, which was handled in a totally different manner. The worst part is that there seems to be no logical reason why things played out the way they did.

It is too bad that the VISL did not have thier shitt together and have the names of the four teams that make the Provincials from thier league.

But why the hell did BC Soccer have to do the draw 3 weeks before the Cup competition even starts, there are still 2 more weekends for games, and surely the draw could be done after these weekends to give the FVSL, VMSL, and VISL a chance to wrap up thier own Cup play. Then have the draw, or would that not be enough notice for the teams entered into the Provincial Cup. OK, then wait one more week, but there is no need to have the draw 3 weeks before the Cup even starts, unless TTP has some pull at BC Soccer, so that the ratings on this great site stay up right through April and into May ;) .

It is a joke and would be interesting to see what the two Island teams think about this situation.

hos

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Repeated information or something??? Sounds bush to me... Very BC soccer-esq I guess... :rolleyes: I'm sure you'll get all sensitive now!!! :eek:

Sorry to upset you Sensei, that wasn't my intention... I may have confused what you were saying (fact) with what you were saying (opinion)... ;) My point was that I don't think either team really will think all about their BC Cup run until after they play on Saturday... Yes the losing team does get an advantage for the draw and yes BC soccer should have waited until the end of the weekend to do the draw, BUT Gorge and Vantrieghts should put up a good battle and BC Soccer shite the bed...

One man, one vote

ArroyoBunk

Oct 11, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
looks as though salt spring fc will be the fourth island team at the provincials. they're tied in points with bays united blue with one game yet to make up. they also have more wins, more goals for and won the head to head against bays blue.

thecobra13

Apr 7, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gorge Boy here...
Just wondering about the Clan we are playin.... any resemblance to the Richmond Clan of the PCSL summer league??? Any players to note?? Going to be a great game anyways..... always love BC Cup time.... get out of kicking the crap out of each other on the island!! HA!!
Good luck to all
Me

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Poco vs. Westside Friday April 15th 8:00 Reeves.

shocker :rolleyes:
they were also kind enough to tell us that we are not allowed to drink at the field. thanks for the gentle reminder not to stick around poco any longer than we have too. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
when are the dates going to be announced? Some people may need to book off work so if the league could organize something that would be great.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside does not need Besty, they have Samllsey covering most of the net when ever he falls back into the 18, I will take Weakside to win it all, even without a keeper. That young kid is a good keeper, I guess he will be replacing Marques, why is he not with Sporting this year?

hos

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
How do you know where you are playing?

apparently we were sent a letter (email?) from someone associated with their club.

as for our keeper signing with the caps. a little birdie told me that pen has not been put to paper yet. will be a huge loss if it happens, but we would just have to adapt. we'll get wicksy and besty to split the duties....besty can take the goal kicks. :D

helmuut

Apr 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It looks like SaltSpring is in. This must be a first for the boys who "pull the wool ". No dates or times yet on the BC Soccer website???????????

Helmuut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0