Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Imperial Cup Imperial Cup 2009

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For the record,
I play for RCIU DIV 1 and respect any decision our club bosses and coaches make. That said, we are not wimping out and in fact I think we could hold our own against some of the teams. I am looking forward to cup run regardless of which one we have entered. I've missed the last two years and want to get this started. Lots of good matches coming up. Sapp and ICST should fair well as the promoted Div 1 teams. Lobbans has a good side as well.

Good luck to all!

I am convinced the Division One team at the moment could more than hold their own in the competition. Devo is spot on.....it is not a 'wimping out' situation. It is something that we believed was best for the club THIS year.....

Good luck to all except the teams who are playing RCIU..............and ICST Peg. :D

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Back in 1988 I was playing on a Div 3 team (Richmond Forest) and we went all the way to the quarter finals. We ended up playing the Firemen, which in those days were Canadian champs and the best team around. We lost 3-1 but we took them to overtime tied at 1-1. It was pretty awesome being apart of a team that was younger and less skilled equalize with about 10 minutes to go. Just to score on that team was a major accomplishment.

Shamrock,

Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of your club, but the points you and all the guys have made here just makes me feel even more so that the Div 1 team should give it a shot. They would have had a legitimate shot at cracking the quarters.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let's play a game.. it's called spot the differences :p

I am convinced the Division One team at the moment could more than hold their own in the competition. Devo is spot on.....it is not a 'wimping out' situation. It is something that we believed was best for the club THIS year.....

Good luck to all except the teams who are playing RCIU..............and ICST Peg. :D

Sorry, boys, but if you're in division one, you should be entering the Imperial Cup. Is your goal at the start of every season to try and win the Provincials. :confused: For the sake of getting two more division one cup games, is it worth it? :confused: You could set up a couple of exhibition games to make these up. In the old days, when division two teams were allowed in the Imperial, it was a no brainer for us. You give it a go and hope you get a decent draw. If not, you have a go at the big guns. We all love having goes at big guns. :D

Devo

Nov 1, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
In 1988 I was in grade 6 listening to Bon Jovi. Ah the memories.

Dezza I remember that post CS left you last year. You had that saved didn't you

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You are spot on Rev, all the div. 1 teams should be in the Imperial, plus, it would give you a round number of 32 to start with, 12 teams from Premier, and 20 from div. 1, no team gets a bye the first round. The league should have every div. 1 team in, no choice at all. But the teams in Div. 1 think they are going to get humped, come on, if you are in Div. 1 and even don't train, you should be able to give a bit of a game to a Premier team, if not even pull the upset.

I like the old days, of every division entered in the Imperail Cup, just like the FA Cup, it was great seeing Div. 2 teams on big Cup runs.

hos

The reality is that with the CAT system Div 2 teams can't compete any longer.

The other consideration is how much of a battle are you in Div 1 to get up.

My div 2 Clan Alumni team earlier made it to the final 8 only to lose to Firemen 3-2.

The facts are that Div 2 and even Div 1 teams when CAT came in can no longer make a decent cup run like the Div 2 teams and the Div 1 teams did in those guys just like the FA Cup in England.

To be fair though our Div 2 team included John and Gavin Connor (37 that year) and Alec Barnetson with a mix of younger guys and donkeys as John would say.

Too many good players are no longer in the VMSL and other leagues have got them including some rec leagues it seems.

I think Willi's CAT system is to blame for this one. :wa: It is a contributing factor.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Back in 1988 I was playing on a Div 3 team (Richmond Forest) and we went all the way to the quarter finals. We ended up playing the Firemen, which in those days were Canadian champs and the best team around. We lost 3-1 but we took them to overtime tied at 1-1. It was pretty awesome being apart of a team that was younger and less skilled equalize with about 10 minutes to go. Just to score on that team was a major accomplishment.

Shamrock,

Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of your club, but the points you and all the guys have made here just makes me feel even more so that the Div 1 team should give it a shot. They would have had a legitimate shot at cracking the quarters.

WAB.......to be honest, there was little thought at the time........:D

Klaus, what was our reasoning again? :confused:

:D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let's play a game.. it's called spot the differences :p

It's easy, man......if there was NO PREMIER team involved, it's a NO-BRAINER. You should enter the IMPERIAL CUP. If you have a Premier team and a division one team, it is a totally different situation. Is that difficult to understand? :confused:

I'm flattered you spent that much time quoting me......but to be honest, it's apples and oranges.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It'll take a politician like response to answer that one.:)
CPAC waiting

I guess I'm a politician now..........:D

:rolleyes:

Sidewinder/Kippax........feel free to add to this gentlemen, as you were part of the process. I would ask One Dart but he probably wouldn't have time to respond. The teachers at school were right......his life has changed forever...........:D

Klaus?

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Excuses, Excuses...
It's too bad DIv 1 teams did not enter the cup. Obviously, deep down they don't believe that they can compete.

In reality, as I have been saying there is a big gap, beetween some DIV 1 teams and premier. After all there are 20 DIV 1 teams. And some of the absolutely suck.

As for Richmond holding its own against premier teams, - sure you could. Why did you not enter the cup then and show us? All of this I think we can, I think we could, is garbage. Enter the cup, play the game and lets see how you fare against the best competition. Next season it will be a same story.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Excuses, Excuses...
It's too bad DIv 1 teams did not enter the cup. Obviously, deep down they don't believe that they can compete.

In reality, as I have been saying there is a big gap, beetween some DIV 1 teams and premier. After all there are 20 DIV 1 teams. And some of the absolutely suck.

As for Richmond holding its own against premier teams, - sure you could. Why did you not enter the cup then and show us? All of this I think we can, I think we could, is garbage. Enter the cup, play the game and lets see how you fare against the best competition. Next season it will be a same story.

Robino, I have a dead horse over here. Apparently it is looking for a beating. Did you read anything that has been typed?

Does everyone understand that our Premier team and Division One team are in the same club? We thought one should enter one and one should enter the other this year? It has nothing to do with not being able to compete.

Shriner

Mar 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does everyone understand that our Premier team and Division One team are in the same club? We thought one should enter one and one should enter the other this year? It has nothing to do with not being able to compete.

The premier and div.1 team are part of the same club, so it would be hard for supporters to watch their own play each other in a possible cup match. Both teams are capable of competing, no doubt about it. But, isn't the RCIU Cat squad entered in the Div.1 Cup along with the RCIU A squad? Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to comprehend a bit better. Where's Mr. Base when you need him???????????

Klaus

Nov 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry for the late response. Too many thoughts to really respond accurately to all posts.
1) It was RCIU Club/Exec decision to not have 2 teams in Imperial.
2) Decision based not so much on ability to compete, as it was to have the 10 lads under 21 of age have a better chance to win a cup (or at least get multiple games). In any Cup, 1 loss finishes your 'run' regardless of Div.1 or Imp Cup and all of this is moot if any team loses their first game.
3) It is a one year decision...likely to change next year. Club I and RUFC had only Div.1 teams for the last decade and each always played in Imperial and had several decent runs, knocking off the odd Premier team. This is the FIRST year for our new club to have both a Premier team and Div.1 team, so any decisions will always be re-visited.
So others can get off your soap boxes and relax...or not, as this is TTP and it is a forum for plumbers/players to air their opinions.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The premier and div.1 team are part of the same club, so it would be hard for supporters to watch their own play each other in a possible cup match. Both teams are capable of competing, no doubt about it. But, isn't the RCIU Cat squad entered in the Div.1 Cup along with the RCIU A squad? Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to comprehend a bit better. Where's Mr. Base when you need him???????????

What other cup could the Div 1 CAT team go in? :confused:

Mithee Bundha

Jun 14, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don’t see the big deal in RUCI (Div 1 Team) entering the division 1 cup. This team, even if it won it’s side in Div 1, can’t take the promotion because each Club is only allowed one spot in the Premier Division. Unless you get the Westside scenario, where the Premier team drops and the Div 1 team gets promotion in the same year.

Let the RUCI Div 1 team play, they are having fun, learning to win and might get the call next year in Premier after the tryouts. That is a great club system, better than playing CAT.

Best of luck in the cup to all of Captain Shamrocks clubs and teams. (too many to mention by name):D

Sidewinder

Feb 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just came accross this site,so apologize for the late response.

One other reason for our Div. 1 team entering the div.1 cup was that the decision was made before some of our younger lads had registered. I'm sure that if the choice could have been made now and with their recent record they would have chosen the Imperial cup.

Our Cat team had no other options, except to not enter any cup. Chances of these 2 teams playing each other in later rounds rather remote if you look at thr Cat teams record.

Sidewinder

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just came accross this site,so apologize for the late response.

One other reason for our Div. 1 team entering the div.1 cup was that the decision was made before some of our younger lads had registered. I'm sure that if the choice could have been made now and with their recent record they would have chosen the Imperial cup.

Our Cat team had no other options, except to not enter any cup. Chances of these 2 teams playing each other in later rounds rather remote if you look at thr Cat teams record.
Sidewinder

Man, you just blew my mind!!!!! Now I'm really confused. Are you saying that you didn't enter because your team wasn't good enough, but now it is with addition of new players? CS said it was because of the Prem/Div 1 thing.
Your party is going to lose office if you don't get on the same page really soon. I'm calling Vaughn Palmer.

Sidewinder

Feb 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whataboutbob;

The real reason was that C.S. did not want the Div. 1 team to enter the Imperial cup was in case they got a first round game against ICST/Peg.!
[and blew them away]
S/W.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good luck in the Div 1 Cup. Polonia looks like your hardest competition.

BTW, if you win, does it allow you to go to the Provincial B Cup? If not, which VMSL Cup makes you eligible? The Richmond Dragons are waiting.

Sidewinder

Feb 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
B Provincial eligibility goes to the Div.2 cup.

Thats why there are 14 teams[including a few very good ones] in Div.2 Cat.

S/W

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0