Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Galaxy vs Whitecaps 20071107

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
He was runner up for FIFA world player of the year twice wasn't he? Lost to Rivaldo once(Year United won the FA Cup, EPL, Champs League, Carling Cup), and I can't remember the player he lost to the second time, maybe Henry?

*Edit, just checked, he lost to Figo in 01. Lost to Rivaldo in 99.

1st Luís Figo Portugal Real Madrid Midfield
2nd David Beckham England Manchester United Midfield
3rd Raúl Spain Real Madrid Striker
1st Zinedine Zidane France Juventus F.C. Midfield
2nd Luís Figo Portugal Real Madrid FC Barcelona Midfield
3rd Rivaldo Brazil FC Barcelona Midfield
1st Rivaldo Brazil FC Barcelona Midfield
2nd David Beckham England Manchester United Midfield
3rd Gabriel Batistuta Argentina AC Fiorentina Striker

for what it's worth here is a list of all players nominated and ranked for FIFA Player of the Year since 1991 (FWPoY inaugural year)

thats my whole point right there...your #4 was in vancouver last summer while playin for miami fc 3 times the player beckam is and he drew 3000 to swanguard...he actually scored while he was here..... i mean look at this fukcin resume http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romário Simple minded beckam fans are a laugh

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
apples and oranges

Tim, your outrageous hatered for David Beckham is sad. The fact you compare him to a 41 year old is the laugh. Why is it all of the young GEU guys maintain their arogance when they've never proved anything themselves? :rolleyes: Embarassing

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: apples and oranges

Tim, your outrageous hatered for David Beckham is sad. The fact you compare him to a 41 year old is the laugh. Why is it all of the young GEU guys maintain their arogance when they've never proved anything themselves? :rolleyes: Embarassing

Guinness do you get paid to play???

The game was so so! Not much action either way. It will be sweet when Seattle gets a team though:D

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

It has nothing to do with hatred . I ll give the guy giant credit on how he has handled all the attention, how hes so humble and how he doesnt go out at night and get stupid and end up in tabloids . It's at the point now where that is outweighing anything he does on a pitch.

It's more of an annoying sensation I get when I see so many people fooled by the hype machine. I am pissed off that someone gets so much undeserved attention and money. Its just a reflection on where our society is today and what we reward now.

apples and oranges???? my point is that vancouver had one of the best PLAYERS ever to play here last summer and 3000 showed up to an outdoor game on grass, a clear summer friday night and he delivered what he was good at, playin soccer and scoring goals. I witnessed a true legend in the history of football for 12$.

Beckam shows up wednesday night to an indoor stadium in november on turf and plays ( joggs down the catwalk ) doesnt score, doesnt do anything but people like you are happy enough , content with just seeing him in person. If you were lucky you got to take a picture of him in an L.A galaxy uni.

I see it for what it is. I don't just follow whats exposed to me. Ive done my research and it's hard to sit back and watch. I'll express how I see this situation, call me arogant( which makes no sense, especially from you ) and argue away with me but in the end it's just overwelmingly clear that he is the most over rated soccer player of all time. If you took 2 minutes out from watching an Anna Kornakova match, you will probably find that Im very far from being alone on this one.:cool:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Your right Tim, Fukcing mister individual me me me fat romario should get all the hype and be the face of soccer across the world. I was in fact at the Romario game and sure he scored and you could see by his touch that at one point in his life he was incredible. I went to go watch because I wanted to see the guy play and say I did. However Now he is 40 + and is out of shape. He stood on the last defender non-existant for the whole game. He has was on his 3rd team in under 1 year because he was trying to break the all time me me me scoring record. However he is the only one keeping track of this record. My point is Beckham is the face of the game, not to many people are saying he is the best player of all time, except people trying to hype events. To have someone with that quality both on and off the pitch with the celebrity to go with it is awesome. Realistically he could be an asshole like Barry bonds or A-Rod but has used his celebrity to promote the game and is still a humble down to earth person. Maybe we should get Maradona to snort a line and go work with kids, I mean he was a better player and all. For fukc sakes Geu win some fukcing games your embarrassing yourself. Is that where we are at today. Society gives demoted teams another chance at premier just to have them embarrass themselves again....Shambles

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
lol obtuse cnut...has nothin to do with geu or baseball...but the bowflex is gettin dusty so that all i have to say on this subject, good night and good luck to you ...may the becks be with you

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Your right Tim, Fukcing mister individual me me me fat romario should get all the hype and be the face of soccer across the world. I was in fact at the Romario game and sure he scored and you could see by his touch that at one point in his life he was incredible. I went to go watch because I wanted to see the guy play and say I did. However Now he is 40 + and is out of shape. He stood on the last defender non-existant for the whole game. He has was on his 3rd team in under 1 year because he was trying to break the all time me me me scoring record. However he is the only one keeping track of this record. My point is Beckham is the face of the game, not to many people are saying he is the best player of all time, except people trying to hype events. To have someone with that quality both on and off the pitch with the celebrity to go with it is awesome. Realistically he could be an asshole like Barry bonds or A-Rod but has used his celebrity to promote the game and is still a humble down to earth person. Maybe we should get Maradona to snort a line and go work with kids, I mean he was a better player and all. For fukc sakes Geu win some fukcing games your embarrassing yourself. Is that where we are at today. Society gives demoted teams another chance at premier just to have them embarrass themselves again....Shambles

Coming from someone who is an arrogant guy on themselves on the pitch doesn't say much. I agree with you on the above until your last two fukcing useless sentences....truth is Delta FC has never beaten the Knights...Point Blank so until you do, mouth shut. Word gets around about you...so I would leave the overly hype out of it!

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its called take the piss Franchise. When the team has one win in 10 games and guys come on here predicting victory and talking shite, its fair game. Word get out about me, for fukc sakes man don't attack my character. neither you or anybody you know can comment on my character. I know you a decent guy but I don't like people talking shite behind my back especially if its from who I think its from. Word gets around you still wet your bed...honestly thats what you sound like.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuking well played Lads. :D

Intelligent, witty, poison tongue remarks in abundance.

Long live TTP!

Fcuking brilliant, I am having a good laugh right now, :D
RF

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuking well played Lads. :D

Intelligent, witty, poison tongue remarks in abundance.

Long live TTP!

Fcuking brilliant, I am having a good laugh right now, :D
RF

We had a good laugh when you sent Coach streaking on the field at bC Place - how did you get him to do that ?

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: nickels & dimes

Originally posted buy: The Franchise
Guinness do you get paid to play???

Yes.

BTW, Tim your negative energy needs to be re-focused. The only person you should be pissed at is the mucker on GEU that warms up in his Karate Kid headband and little sisters swet pants! Cantona? :rolleyes: He is the reason you will get thumped this weekend! ;)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness is right Timmy there is dead wrong. I was also in attendance the night that Romario and his fat arse jogged no more than 30 yards in the Miami Whitecaps game. also, note that Romario really only had a three year window in his career where he was the top of the pile... He was a great goalscorer...But his thing is ME ME ME...

Again, it is fashionable to slate Beckham. He is one of the few individuals that has transcended the game. When the British Public needed a new person/couple to put on the pedistal after Princess Di passed, Posh and Becks were chosen. Beckham (David not his wife) has never struck me as a glory hunter. The guy has (willingly or un-willingly) took on the weight on the world on his back. His life and his family's lives were threatened by so called "supportes" during the World Cup...following his infamous sending off against argentina...Through all this he has managed to stay media savvy, humble, and has still managed to forge out an awesome career. He is the face of North American Soccer whether you like it or not. Sure the money is a big factor, but I'm sure he is much more interested in his leagcy than he is in his paycheck, how else do you explain the man's behaviour over the last ten years.

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

It has nothing to do with hatred . I ll give the guy giant credit on how he has handled all the attention, how hes so humble and how he doesnt go out at night and get stupid and end up in tabloids . It's at the point now where that is outweighing anything he does on a pitch.

It's more of an annoying sensation I get when I see so many people fooled by the hype machine. I am pissed off that someone gets so much undeserved attention and money. Its just a reflection on where our society is today and what we reward now.

apples and oranges???? my point is that vancouver had one of the best PLAYERS ever to play here last summer and 3000 showed up to an outdoor game on grass, a clear summer friday night and he delivered what he was good at, playin soccer and scoring goals. I witnessed a true legend in the history of football for 12$.

Beckam shows up wednesday night to an indoor stadium in november on turf and plays ( joggs down the catwalk ) doesnt score, doesnt do anything but people like you are happy enough , content with just seeing him in person. If you were lucky you got to take a picture of him in an L.A galaxy uni.

I see it for what it is. I don't just follow whats exposed to me. Ive done my research and it's hard to sit back and watch. I'll express how I see this situation, call me arogant( which makes no sense, especially from you ) and argue away with me but in the end it's just overwelmingly clear that he is the most over rated soccer player of all time. If you took 2 minutes out from watching an Anna Kornakova match, you will probably find that Im very far from being alone on this one.:cool:

Have to agree with Tim on a lot he has posted here. Beckham gets a free ride in the press tbh. Eg. He is injured and the Galaxy go on a tear. Then he comes back for the crucial match before the playoffs and gives the ball away in the 90th minute, leading straight to the winning goal for their opponents. But it gets completely overlooked.

I don't get all the hype. Never have. Good looking bloke, good at corners and free kicks, and crosses. No speed. One footed for the most part. Rarely scores from open play. Plenty of better players out there, past and present.

I guess when it comes down to it it's football vs glamour.

I'll take football every time:D

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Daz,

Let's be honest mate ....... you're still fcuked off at Becks after he picked United over Spurs years ago as a youngster :D

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Rf can you account for your whereabouts last Wednesday night?

Last edited by a moderator:

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Clearly it was an intense preparation for England's match against Austria, as Becks is starting.:rolleyes:

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

"Beckham didn't deserve to be elected best player in the world. When he can do something else apart from cross perhaps he will."

George Best: "He (Beckham) cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."

Last edited by a moderator:

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just got back from the Galaxy playing a local Hong Kong all-star team where Galaxy lost on a shoot 5 - 4 after a 2 - 2 tie in regulation. Hong Kong guys made all 5 shots. Not worth giving a match report as Beckham clearly has not a lot of great talent to play with on that team.

I can see why Galaxy struggle in their league. Ruiz at times looked like Maradona (today!) and Pires in central MF made more back passes than thru ones. There are a couple of not bad players but for the most part there is no creativity in that team it seems. Pires shut down a lot of potential play out of the Galaxy back line by standing in front of any back liner with the ball and no one on him and demanding it. It was a bit of a joke and at one point one of his CB's was clearly pissed at that and threw up his arms.

Beckham was more active in the first half and got more balls his side. He ventured into the centre of the park a few times to get his team fired up but it didn't happen. The coach needs to tell his guys that Beckham is the one with the talent, not them so much and when he overlaps and is in the clear like he was so much in the first half - give him the ball. Second half there was a lot less play down his side and he didn't bother making the runs like he did first half - it was pointless it seemed. He played 90.

I thought the Galaxy first goal was way off side (no call) and Beckham scored on a peno at the the end of the game right after taking a knock on the ankle and visibly limped over to the penalty shot. He scored in the shoot out too as the first one up.

I read on this thread that the GK punted the ball in Vancouver into the stands and that is what the GK did at the end of this one and the fan bolted for the door with the ball. He was in a sieve in the SO.

Beckham didn't give his shirt to any of the five or so guys asking for it. He seemed to have it committed and at the end went to the stands and gave it to a young kid whose dad carried him out of the stadium on his shoulders with a huge crowd following them all the way to Causeway Bay store area with some idiot waving a handful of what looked like $500 HK dollar bills ($3900 Cdn = 500 HK).

I read that someone from England will go to Dallas to watch Beckham to see if he is match fit for England. How on earth he can impress them with the side he is on is beyond me.

The $980HK ($125 Cdn) seats opposite me in the cheap upper deck were mostly empty. I assume it was the same down below me. They knew this game was not going to be a highlite for Hong Kong soccer fans so why they didn't reduce the prices and fill the lower ball is astounding.

Incidentally, the Hong Kong Stadium (40,000) seats is a nice stadium with nice views - although I'd hate to be way up top there.
Image:HKStadium.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles Galaxy loses to South China in shootout in Hong Kong - International Herald Tribune

The former England captain was taking a "wait and see" approach to selections for England's friendly against France on March 26.

"At the moment, I'm just concentrating on playing with the Galaxy. I'm training with the Galaxy and playing in the games that I've got with the team here," he said. "That's how and where I got my fitness."

England manager Fabio Capello earlier said that either he or his assistant will fly to Dallas for the Galaxy's March 14 MLS match to assess Beckham's condition.

The Galaxy lost to South Korea's FC Seoul in a shootout, and beat Shanghai-Hong Kong United 3-0 in its other exhibition games last week.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0