Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [FVSL] Premier 2016/2017 - Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SU 8 - 0 Coastal. SU again played some good stuff. It seems the goal scoring is progressing, but I respectfully say the Coastal keeper played well enough to keep it more respectful.

Again, there is some disparity from the top five and the rest of the table. There are always things to work on in any kind of game, and we keep progressing.

Tough game next week vs Port Moody.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isn't this the 3rd consecutive season that Coastal is the worst or 2nd worst team in the league? How do they keep staying in Premier?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've only been mildly paying attention, and my feeling is that Coastal typically fields a pretty strong 1st division side, so...that, and with the double whammy of the FVSL being so club strong, it frequently means a Coastal 1st div. squad is in line for promotion should their premier side being in line for relegation. Thus, the club retains the spot.

I think it actually makes pretty good debate fodder, whether the club system hurts or helps the FVSL. There are a lot of merits- craddle-to-grave playing opportunities for players being one- but you could also argue that it takes away from some of the competitiveness when there isn't a sense of urgency to avoid relegation / win promotion.

That being said, this season could be a good one, as right now at 1/2 way, you have PMO Rangers and Coastal sitting on the bottom of Premier, and Langley B, Burnaby, and Stolo top 3. If that projects forward, you'll have two new clubs up, and two down....but again, unfortunately, its a race for 3rd, not 2nd, as it appears Langley B is running away w/ it right now.

http://www.fraservalleysoccer.com/standings.php

Besides that, I think the other obvious answer is that the group mentioned above all pretty much moved up to Masters at once. They all hung on a long, long time in the division. Good on them for being able to do so, and were quite competitive at Provincials, but I can't recall any sort of gradual changing of the guard.

I'm just speculating, and since nobody is posting here to dispute it, the speculation will become fact.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I vaguely remember a really strong Coastal Div 1 squad that won promotion, and then the club deciding to merge prem+d1, a huge fight happening over who would coach, and said Div 1 team moving to create their own or join some kind of FV/Surrey/Cloverdale club as a premier team.

so yeah... i think that was a failed changing of the guard.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Or, as it turns out, a combination of two two issues.

I remember something about that as well....

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I know Westcoast hasn't used the "club system" in a long time, perhaps a few players in the last few years but not like it used to be. @4thplacetrophy may be able to shed some light as he played prem the past few years. I find most of the clubs who use the club system, have it in Div 2, where there are call ups from Div 3 and 4.This is usually due to a numbers issue more than development. Port Moody Gunners, have always used the system well and it was shown in dominant league campaigns but often short cup runs with players signing up to specific teams (div 1-4 at least). Also in Premier, teams like Chilliwack, Aldergrove, Don't have the numbers in the club to use the system. Be interesting to hear from the clubs on what they do.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I vaguely remember a really strong Coastal Div 1 squad that won promotion, and then the club deciding to merge prem+d1, a huge fight happening over who would coach, and said Div 1 team moving to create their own or join some kind of FV/Surrey/Cloverdale club as a premier team.

so yeah... i think that was a failed changing of the guard.

Yep exactly what happened. From what I was a part of, now almost a decade ago, there was never any integration with the original Div 1 (now Premier) and the Prem squad (now Masters Premier). Other than a guy or two here and there the old guard held onto control and weren't interested in moving on/transitioning. Then they got relegated the year the Div 1 team got promoted and the club stepped in and said that the old guard would get to retain control of the spot. From what I understand the Div 1 guys had some ins in Surrey and became Sikh Temple for a couple of seasons, until both Coastal and Temple finished as the bottom two. At this point the original Prem team decided it was time to move to Masters and a reconciliation was reached to bring the "Temple" crew back under the Coastal umbrella. I was long out of it by then, but from talking to guys now and then who are still involved that was more or less the gist of it.

As for new blood in FVSL with some keen Div 1 teams pushing for promotion, aren't the FVSL Promotion/Relegation rules as such that only last place Prem goes down and first place Div 1 comes up automatically? Then second bottom and second place playoff?

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I know Westcoast hasn't used the "club system" in a long time, perhaps a few players in the last few years but not like it used to be. @4thplacetrophy may be able to shed some light as he played prem the past few years. I find most of the clubs who use the club system, have it in Div 2, where there are call ups from Div 3 and 4.This is usually due to a numbers issue more than development. Port Moody Gunners, have always used the system well and it was shown in dominant league campaigns but often short cup runs with players signing up to specific teams (div 1-4 at least). Also in Premier, teams like Chilliwack, Aldergrove, Don't have the numbers in the club to use the system. Be interesting to hear from the clubs on what they do.

I can't speak for this years coach as I don't know really how the team is being ran anymore.

As for the past few seasons I know we tried to integrate some of the Westcoast United (now div1) team into the mix. However a lot of them weren't really interested, nothing you can do about that. Then sometimes we would use the U21's, who had very little to select from. Unfortunately with the size of the Westcoast club, and the talent that's within the club you could arguably field a team that could compete with the premier squad. But you can't force someone to play with a team they don't want too play with.

As for club systems in the FVSL, the only team in the past few seasons to use it well is Pomo. And now especially with Russ coaching at MF (or was?) he brought a few along with him to his U21 Gunners team, that he slowly intigrated through to Premier. Arguably the reason why he was was named coach of the year either this year or the past year.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yep exactly what happened. From what I was a part of, now almost a decade ago, there was never any integration with the original Div 1 (now Premier) and the Prem squad (now Masters Premier). Other than a guy or two here and there the old guard held onto control and weren't interested in moving on/transitioning. Then they got relegated the year the Div 1 team got promoted and the club stepped in and said that the old guard would get to retain control of the spot. From what I understand the Div 1 guys had some ins in Surrey and became Sikh Temple for a couple of seasons, until both Coastal and Temple finished as the bottom two. At this point the original Prem team decided it was time to move to Masters and a reconciliation was reached to bring the "Temple" crew back under the Coastal umbrella. I was long out of it by then, but from talking to guys now and then who are still involved that was more or less the gist of it.

As for new blood in FVSL with some keen Div 1 teams pushing for promotion, aren't the FVSL Promotion/Relegation rules as such that only last place Prem goes down and first place Div 1 comes up automatically? Then second bottom and second place playoff?

You're right in regards to Coastal.

And that's how it used to be in regards to promotion/relegation anyways, but the past few seasons it's only been an 8 team league.

I think the only reason Coastal is still there is because the league became a 10 team league again. Then with adding 2 new teams, and one going back to the VMSL it meant a decision. Either 10 teams with 1 more coming up from Div 1 (Rangers) or relegate coastal and have an 8 team premier division. But if you decide on the 8 team league it then would deny spots in div 1 for Stolo & Burnaby who both seem to be competing, with Burnaby looking like they could be a Premier side next year.

You have to look at the big picture too is what I'm trying to say, maybe having those two teams in their this year isn't the best for the league (not an opinion) but how's the league going to look in the future now there's teams able to come up, and not just clubs B teams.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some how we've lost track of the fact that Coastal really suck. It all seemed to go downhill once the hypetrain Nomads joined the club. Coincidence? I think not.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apparently there is some big talks of coastal and one of the Vmsl div 1 clubs merging.

I'll call bs on that (I assume you're TTP out of Rinos maybe??). Nothing I know/have seen about Coastal would have them with any interest in leaving the Valley. Certainly they would never cede control of their men's flagship team from the club. Any merger (VMSL or otherwise) would have to be more a team "coming under the Coastal banner" than a "merger."

Unless it's Campo, because we know with them all bets are off (IT'S CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!! :rolleyes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0