Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

English Premiership News 2003/2004

Red Forever

Jul 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It seems to me it's awfully quiet here this weekend, I wonder if it has anything to do with that fantastic Sunday match between the saints and utd!!!!
I wont gloat to much because unlike united fans I dont think the title is decided in August!

PS that Kleberson!! Wow what a buy, maybe SUPER Keano can teach him how to tackle!!

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was pleased with the performance this weekend as well. Owen played great and was a threat the whole game. Hopefully he can do that more often than once every two weeks. Of course he was fed nicely by Kewell and Baros which helps and not having Heskey out there to fcuk up half the chances is also a benefit. I am still disappointed with Houllier. He is safe for now but we shall see. If Callager is allowed to play agian I am going to throw up. This while Riiser sits on the bench. It only took him 3 games and last season to realize Heskey should sit.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
French pissed

EXCLUSIVE

That Houll is a fool

By DAVID BARNES

GERARD HOULLIER has been accused of wrecking the careers of rising French stars Anthony Le Tallec and Florent Sinama-Pongolle.

The Liverpool chief signed the teenage whizkids on five-year contracts from Le Havre this summer.

But French Under-21 boss Raymond Domenech is furious with Houllier’s treatment of the duo and says both are desperately short of match practice.

Le Tallec and Sinama-Pongolle, both 18, were involved in France’s Euro Under-21 clash against Cyprus last night.

And Domenech stormed: “What a state they have turned up in for my squad. Anthony is done for after one training session.

“He does not even play reserve matches, which are of uneven quality. It is worrying and I think the two are beginning to realise.

“When I think their manager is a former Director of Coaching for France! He has no right to take them and not play them. It’s a waste. It’s a pity he should forget the French way of forming players, one which has proved itself, and not think of the future of the two players.

“It’s a real problem. I put myself in their places and it is difficult to refuse such a move. But, in hindsight, it was a very bad miscalculation.”

But Houllier, who has not yet given either Le Tallec or Sinama-Pongolle a run even as a substitute this season, denies he has done anything wrong.

He rapped: “I am not going to argue but they are fit. Anthony is in the squad and is going to start soon.

“They have played in preparation matches like the rest of the team. I am very pleased with them and am very happy to have taken them.

“Furthermore, I did not put a knife to their throats to sign. I warned them it would take time and their families know it.

“The Premiership is special and you need time to adapt. Perhaps up to six months.

“There is no question for now of them going out on loan. If Raymond Domenech is not happy, all he has to do is send them back to me.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cside17

Better Bastard
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting!

as reported by soccernet.com

Kenyon 'quits Man Utd for Chelsea'

Manchester United supremo Peter Kenyon has quit Old Trafford to become Chelsea's new chief executive, according to unattributed reports.

Peter Kenyon: Laughing all the way to the bank? (NealSimpson/Empics)

Sky Sports News claim that Kenyon, who joined United in August 2000, has moved to Stamford Bridge to oversee new owner Roman Abramovich's reshaping of the club.

Oil tycoon Abramovich has splashed out over £100m on players this summer but Kenyon's arrival is the first step in making the Blues' boardroom one of Europe's heavyweights. While Chelsea's current chief executive, Trevor Birch, will be invited to remain in a senior role.

Kenyon, who was instrumental in persuading manager Sir Alex Ferguson to extend his stay at United, sold Juan Sebastian Veron to Chelsea for a £13million loss this summer and failed to make an expected bid for Damien Duff, who also joined the Blues.

During his time at Old Trafford Kenyon presided over the big money captures of Ruud van Nistelrooy (£19m), Juan Veron (£28.1m), Rio Ferdinand (£30m) and the high-profile sale of David Beckham to Real Madrid for £25m.

Interestingly Kenyon will swap the need to satisfty Manchester United plc's shareholders for a big-spending, newly-formed private company under Abramovich, where there will be less pressure to keep a tight hold on the purse strings.

Manchester-born Kenyon, who made his name with Chelsea's current kit suppliers Umbro, will be hoping to mirror the big-money deals that brought Vodafone and Nike to United.

As yet both clubs have refused to comment on the reports but Manchester United are expected to confirm the move to the Stock Exchange and issue a statement on Tuesday.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I could do that bloody job

Who's the next one to leave Trafford because he fell out of favour with Fergie? I predict it's someone in the back after they are exposed time and time again!

Close Regs ......... very close :D

I cannot fcuking believe this. Who else on this planet are Chelsea going to snap up ?? Kenyon is taking the dream job by the looks of things. The squad is already sorted, the money's been spent already and you've got no worry about where your next quid is coming from. Nice ........

The fcuking guy will be in Harrod's every day at the Oyster Bar sipping Chardonnay with Georgie Best. Good living .........

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Imagine this

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich will tell new chief executive Peter Kenyon to lure David Beckham from Real Madrid to Stamford Bridge, regardless of the cost. [Daily Star]

Keano would have a field day.

Kippax

Aug 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Steve1234
I don't think Becks would leave Real, I don't see how he would benefit from leaving Spain

Red Forever

Jul 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big win for the reds today, but at a cost!! Good result going to Blackburn and getting 3 points, shame that we lost Baros who broke his ankle. Then to add to it Carragher almost had his leg bust by a terrible tackle!!

Dont want to jinx it but maybe the boys are coming good!!!!

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I realy hope that Baros going down doesn't mena I have to see Heskey everygame again. As a as Carragher goes I still honestly feel he is taking playing time away from more talent of the bench. Good to see they boys are back on the winning track again.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Abramovich Wants History And He Wants It Now

Harry Pearson
Saturday September 13, 2003
The Guardian

A few years back when Ken Bates stated his intention to make Chelsea "The Manchester United of the South" football fans dismissed the notion on the grounds that there already was a Manchester United of the South - Manchester United. The Blues new owner Roman Abramovich is not a man to be put off by such trivial realities, however.
This week the Russian signalled his intentions by unveiling his latest multi-million-pound signing, Old Trafford's sturdy financial pivot Peter Kenyon. At United the balding dealmaker's strategy of buying shirts in one south-east Asian country, selling them in another south-east Asian country for three times as much, then using the profit to purchase players from one club and flog them to another for half the original price was hailed as pure entrepreneurial genius by several people who know about such things.

Kenyon is a big loss to United. And he will undoubtedly blossom at Stamford Bridge, especially if, as is expected, he is handed the free role in the centre of the club's bank account that many feel is his best position.

More worrying for United fans even than the defection of their chief executive, however, is the recent claim that some time over the summer Chelsea "tapped up" another key member of the United dream team - Old Trafford.

According to a statement issued by United the stadium rejected the Russian's approach out of hand saying, "I am part of the very woof and weave of this famous old club. My fate is inextricably linked with that of Manchester United by an immutable bond of loyalty and large amounts of steel and concrete."

But those close to Old Trafford tell a different story. According to people who know it well, the stadium was sorely tempted by Abramovich's multi-million-pound offer. "Traffie sometimes feels it is in danger of getting stale in Manchester and would have relished the fresh challenge in fashionable west London," a friend of the ground said yesterday. According to the same source the Home of Legends rejected the deal only because of fears that, as soon as he owned the 67,000-seat Theatre of Dreams, the Siberian intended to send it to Portsmouth on a year's loan.

As the move for Old Trafford shows, Abramovich is acutely aware that it takes more than just several dozen new players to make a football team into a worldwide phenomenon. United's powerful global brand is based on the club's rich history. Chelsea does not have United's illustrious past and that is something Abramovich is working to rectify. The billionaire, though, is too impatient to wait for the past to build up over the course of time in the traditional, pedestrian manner. As one of his main advisers says, "Roman wants a history and he wants it now."

To this end reports suggest that within a few days of taking over at Stamford Bridge the Russian had approached Arsenal about buying a section of their past from 1934 to 1994 for a sum of money sufficient to cover the cost of building the new Ashburton Grove stadium. According to the adviser, "Roman was planning to recoup a considerable sum by selling off minor parts of Arsenal's history to less successful clubs. He had already received a firm offer for the 1987 League Cup final from Middlesbrough, with Newcastle United - eager to add to their European pedigree - locked in negotiations for the penalty shoot-out defeat by Valencia in 1980."

Arsenal's refusal to part with any of their double- winning seasons, or Eddie Kelly's comical chicken-walk, eventually scuppered the deal but it is thought that Chelsea have recently been approached by Celtic who have offered to lease them the 1960s.

The marketing benefits of becoming the first British side to win the European Cup are obvious for Chelsea but the deal also fits the Scots' long-term strategy. Celtic believe that, if the Londoners take a decade of the club's history, it will smooth the way for the Old Firm to join the Premiership. "After all, if you already have a side in the English top flight such as Chelsea who dominated Scottish football throughout that fantastic 10-year period under the brilliant stewardship of Jock Stein, you can hardly complain if a couple of other teams from north of the border join too, can you?" said a source close to Dermot Desmond.

In Glasgow fans reacted angrily to news that their past might be about to be sold to the Russian oil magnate. "I had been looking forward to telling my grandchildren about watching the likes of Jimmy Johnstone," said one disconsolate 50-year-old supporter, "and now it seems it all happened 400 miles away and I couldn't afford the train fare or the time off work. They say I can tell them about seeing Terry Venables and Bobby Tambling instead but it's not the same. The moneymen have made me a stranger in my own life".

A spokesman for Chelsea expressed sympathy for Celtic's supporters but said that the deal would be a good one for both clubs and that many Blues fans were already enjoying sitting in the pub reminiscing about Billy McNeill's quiff. "They say you cannot put a price on memories, but we just have."

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Red Forever
Then to add to it Carragher almost had his leg bust by a terrible tackle!!

Almost? From sporting-life.com:

Jamie Carragher has been ruled out for six months with a broken leg.

The England international was injured in a tackle by Blackburn's Lucas Neill, who was immediately red-carded in the 3-1 victory for the Anfield side.

And Liverpool's worst fears were realised when an x-ray confirmed the Reds' defender has broken his right leg and is out of action for up to six months.

Carragher's injury is a blow to manager Gerard Houllier, who will also be without Czech international Milan Baros until the new year after he suffered a broken ankle when he fell awkwardly after a tackle from Markus Babbel.

Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton told the official Liverpool website, www.liverpoolfc.tv: "Jamie Carragher left the stadium on crutches and was seen by our club doctor on Sunday morning.

"Unfortunately an x-ray has revealed he has broken his leg and the awful news for everyone at the club is that Jamie will be out for up to six months.

"We also expect Milan Baros to be unavailable until the new year. Milan had a two-hour operation on Saturday night which went very well. He has had a plate inserted in his ankle but he's not expected back until next year."

The injuries have come at the worst time for Houllier - just as he seemed to have finally found the balance in his Liverpool side that he has found so elusive.

Houllier can rely on Michael Owen for scoring goals, but he must feel torn about who should replace Baros as the England striker's partner.

The Frenchman hinted that El Hadji Diouf may be the man rather than Emile Heskey, but the 22-year-old from Senegal has - a year after he thrilled the globe in the World Cup - finally found a niche as a right-winger.

Diouf tormented Blackburn down the flank in partnership with Steve Finnan, winning a clear penalty from the bemused Vratislav Gresko and furnishing both Owen and Heskey with some tremendous opportunities.

Houllier said afterwards: "The best is yet to come. He's a good player if you don't like that sort of skill you've got a problem in England because there are not many players who can do what he does.

"I was appalled by the reaction of the crowd at times and I hope it was only because they were unhappy at the penalty. He never had an argument with another player, he keeps composed, controlled and if referees don't protect that sort of player you have a problem in this country.

"He needs to find the clinical final ball at times, but he not only creates things, he works hard for the team too. He's attacking-minded but he covers a lot of ground. Maybe he can be a bit more selfish, maybe deliver a better ball, but that will come as the boy is only 22.

"Playing on the right is his best position for the team at the moment but what will happen now we will have to see because Baros is a problem."

The match turned after Neill's red card for a bad lunge at Carragher.

Liverpool appeared able to create chances at will, aided by Lorenzo Amoruso's hit-and-miss approach to defending.

Owen was hit and miss too. He equalised from the spot and finished sweetly for Liverpool's second but he also failed with three one-on-ones against Brad Friedel. Harry Kewell finally finished Blackburn off, drilling in a low shot from the left.

It was Owen who impressed Friedel most and he said: "I thought Michael looked really, really sharp - I don't think he tired at all. He gave us a lot of problems. People will say that he had a lot of chances and maybe I saved a few but you have to do well to get those chances.

"The sending off changed the game. We started off ever so well but playing for 75 minutes against anyone is difficult, and against Liverpool it's doubly difficult. What's more it was freakishly hot so perhaps not the ideal day to go a man down.

"We have lost two on the bounce here at home now. We started off a little bit similar to this last season and then from about November we had not lost until we played Man City the other night.

"We will work hard to get it together though, it's just disappointing not to come away with something from the game."

Matt Jansen's opening strike had deserved to win any game, and was just what the Rovers striker needed after last season was so disrupted by a scooter accident.

Fastening on to Andy Cole's flick-on he steered the ball over Carragher first one way and then the other before burying a tremendous left-foot shot past Jerzy Dudek.

Rovers boss Graeme Souness, who left his seat on the bench on a couple of occasions during the match to berate his opposite number Houllier, said: "It was a super goal and that will do wonders for his confidence - that is all that has been missing from his game."

There may be repercussions for Blackburn if referee Neale Barry decides to mention the Souness v Houllier incidents in his report. Furthermore David Thompson threw a punch at John Arne Riise which may have been seen by the fourth official and Souness said to Barry afterwards that "it was not one of your best days, was it?"

Kippax

Aug 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Southhampton up 1-0 after the third minute. Do you think Hoddle will make it to the half, before getting fired

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kippax,

Yes, another shoc-king result for Spurs today.

I may be a bit biased as he is such a WHL legend, but sacking him wouldn't be the answer right now. Clearly there is another media campaign underway to get him the sack again, just like when he was England manager.

He has just made some great signings and cleared out a whole bunch of useless plumbers from the Goonersaurus Graham tenure and the team needs to gel.

All this media crap...let's phone someone who was cleared out and see if they like Hoddle....wow, as if they would have anything nice to say.

Losing to Brum, Fulham and Saints hurts though...if you look at the run of games they have over the next four weeks, they could put together a good run of results....then again:eek:

dazwantingtoknowwhokippax'steamis:cool:

Kippax

Aug 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Daz
I don't like Hoddle, never have and never will. He has made some good signings, but they are not performing. He bought some young forwards, but Teddy has scored more then them all combined. As for the Spurs going on a run, they have to face the all mighty CITY next, before Hoddle calls in the bible, or whatever he tries.

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Man U 0 Arse 0

Viera deserved to be sent off. Nothing to do with Van's reaction. The ref was a few paces away. Stupid red.

The Arse will get charged for their antics at the end of the game!

Disgraceful stuff. Fcuking cnuts....I do hate them.

Daz:mad:

Kippax

Aug 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Daz
I 100% support CITY, but I also support anybody playing Man U on the day. Loved seeing Ruud hit the bar:)

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I understand completely.

I used to feel that way about them too, but admire them a bit more now.

Arse though....oh boy! Fcuking hate 'em.

Daz

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0