Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Election Night Bush vs Kerry....

Will you be watching tonights US Election Coverage???

• Total voters

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
People who wonder what drives President Bush and his team should check out this web site. Read this Smiles and get ready to enlist. There is nothing to stop President Bush now he is re-elected. There is a lot of good things in there like having a strong military, etc. but there is a scary moral tone in there in that what is good for America has to be good for the world.

http://www.newamericancentury.org/

"The Project for the New American Century is a non-profit educational organization dedicated to a few fundamental propositions: that American leadership is good both for America and for the world; that such leadership requires military strength, diplomatic energy and commitment to moral principle; and that too few political leaders today are making the case for global leadership."

Excerpts from their Statement of Principles of June 3, 1997:

"We seem to have forgotten the essential elements of the Reagan Administration's success: a military that is strong and ready to meet both present and future challenges; a foreign policy that boldly and purposefully promotes American principles abroad; and national leadership that accepts the United States' global responsibilities.

Of course, the United States must be prudent in how it exercises its power. But we cannot safely avoid the responsibilities of global leadership or the costs that are associated with its exercise....If we shirk our responsibilities, we invite challenges to our fundamental interests.

The history of the 20th century should have taught us that it is important to shape circumstances before crises emerge, and to meet threats before they become dire. The history of this century should have taught us to embrace the cause of American leadership.

Our aim is to remind Americans of these lessons and to draw their consequences for today. Here are four consequences:

• we need to increase defense spending significantly if we are to carry out our global responsibilities today and modernize our armed forces for the future;

• we need to strengthen our ties to democratic allies and to challenge regimes hostile to our interests and values;

• we need to promote the cause of political and economic freedom abroad;

• we need to accept responsibility for America's unique role in preserving and extending an international order friendly to our security, our prosperity, and our principles.

Such a Reaganite policy of military strength and moral clarity may not be fashionable today. But it is necessary if the United States is to build on the successes of this past century and to ensure our security and our greatness in the next."

Signed by the following:

Elliott Abrams Gary Bauer William J. Bennett Jeb Bush

Dick Cheney Eliot A. Cohen Midge Decter Paula Dobriansky Steve Forbes

Aaron Friedberg Francis Fukuyama Frank Gaffney Fred C. Ikle

Donald Kagan Zalmay Khalilzad I. Lewis Libby Norman Podhoretz

Dan Quayle Peter W. Rodman Stephen P. Rosen Henry S. Rowen

Donald Rumsfeld Vin Weber George Weigel Paul Wolfowitz

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballz:

An individual who states (even implicitly) that he or she has a monopoly on morality (especially as his opponents do not) has challenged my convictions. The Manager provided a very good refutation to this: the Republican definition of "Morality" has no basis in reality. Dubya has no claim to the word morality at all, even with his born-again evangelism.

An educated view? I guess it depends on your definition of the term. Granted, slightly less hysterical than your average redneck, as you pointed out, but still pretty far from rational. I would take issue with your assumption about people's voting tendencies, and suggest that a large portion of the people who voted for the Democrats didn't really vote for Kerry so much as they voted against Bush. Kind of like holding your nose and picking the lesser of two evils, really.

Regs - you've hit it this time. The American public as a whole HAS to start paying attention to the rest of the world outside their borders, if only for their own self-preservation; even the crackers in Maple Valley. Twice before in the last century (1917 and 1941), the rest of the world has forced them out of their collective insular mentality, but the results haven't stuck with them. George Bush as a leader will not make any new friends for the Guvvermint in Warshingtun, and stands a good chance at alienating a number of the country's traditional allies even more. No politician in American history has earned the antipathy of the UN more than he has.

Anybody who doesn't think that the recent actions in both Iraq and Afghanistan have control/access to oil supplies (both from the Persian Gulf and the Aral Sea basin) as their underlying incentives is deluding themselves. It's all about economics, and what benefits the American economy, isn't it?

just more from the stew centre for policy alternatives and common sense....

stew :cool:

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Smiles said:
Aves,

Must have been the Union comment. It gets the teachers all the time.

Cheers,

Smiles

Actually it was the "my perceived connection to the almighty means I'm more moral and Bush does God's work" that got me.

You have a right to your views and vote, obviously, I just think your country could use some middle ground rhetoric to bring it together.

has anyone seen this?

http://www.pentagonstrike.co.uk/

can you say cover-up?...or is this just b.s. hype?? :confused:

Smiles

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Will we still be the Country of choice and still be America if we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that came to live in America because it is the Country of Choice???????? Think about it........
When will something be done about MY RIGHTS? I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't celebrated by everyone, we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings. It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday?? We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend anyone, that I am now being offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that.

This says it all! After hearing that the state of Florida changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered this is an editorial written by an American citizen, published in a Tampa newspaper:

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.

This idea of America being a multi cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture. If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.

We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so.

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Smiles,

Where exactly are they supposed to go to get away from US policies? Sure they can leave now but it's only a matter of time before the US spreads their version of freedom and democracy on the country the went to :D

I support the view that when you decide to come to a country to start a new life that you be prepared to conform to their 'ways of life'. The problem though is that it's becoming increasingly apparent that US foreign policy doesn't respect that way of thinking in other countries.

What do you think the average family in Iraq is thinking about this view right about now? Or the family in Cuba?

~Regs.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
stew said:
I like to think that I'm a very moral person, who attempts to treat other people the way I would prefer to be treated. I volunteer with kids' and adult soccer, baseball, swimming, Cubs and school, but my morality has no base in a religion. I am not groundless; I just don't need a crutch to base my life on. I'm not a victim who needs to be saved from anything. I also believe in helping out people who are a bit less fortunate than I happen to be. What does that make me? It means I have a conscience and a sense of ethics, too. Those aren't tied to any religion either.
Volunteering? Crutch? No base in religion?

You're goin' t' Hell.

:D

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find it quite comical when someone degrades one parties propaganda by using the propaganda from the others political view. Hilarious. :D

Drew,

Congrats on the win. Even though I don't always agree with all of his policies, IMO, you guys picked the right guy who stands for the important things that the majority of Americans (and Canadians) feel are important to the make-up and core values of their country. I, personally, think these things out-way the negative aspects that seem to surround Bush.

The American public will now have to become more aware of their foreign policy over this next term. These core voting group that swayed the vote in Bush's favour will now become more important than they have in a long time and will be the main "voting group to get" in the next election for both major parties. Usually, the mass media sways the vote but I don't really think they did this time.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Smiles said:
Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday??
Yeah. Screw the Jews with their Hanukkah -- they should've booked it later -- and the Chinese with their New Year that's so out of whack with the civilized world. And Ramadan? What were the Muslim's thinking when they scheduled their holiday in October? Idiots.

"Winter Break" -- give me a break. It should be called "The Christmas Holidays". I mean, why do you think everybody hangs out in malls to shop but is too busy to go to church? Yom Kippur? No. It's Christmas damn it -- it's what makes our economy go 'round. Without Christianity the North American lifestyle as we know it would be meaningless.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find it funny when Americans, as well as Canadians, imply that it is immigrants, namely minorities, whom have influenced the decision to change the words merry christmas, to season's greetings in schools. The funny thing is that most religions do celebrate christmas, and have no problem with Christmas. I am of the Sikh religion, my family puts up a christmas tree, and the Sikh Temple's all around the lower mainland all observe Christmas. I know this is true of many muslims also, as well as Hindu's. Drive by any Temple around Christmas, and they have Christmas lights up!

If you Americans (and Canadians) want to know why you cannot say Merry Christmas, look no further than Jehovaw's (SP) witnesses. They are the leaders of anti-christmas, anti-easter, blah blah blah. The majority of them are also long time residents of the country (read non minority). They have been the leaders of pushing these statements out of school.

Once again, I implore you to talk based on fact, and not opinion. It is easy to view the world based on what you think is happening, it is difficult to view the world based on facts.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Come on now Gurps, how can you not love all the religions that need to be sold door to door and at air ports.

Flower anyone?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
djones said:
1.you guys picked the right guy who stands for the important things that the majority of Americans (and Canadians) feel are important to the make-up and core values of their country.

2. Usually, the mass media sways the vote but I don't really think they did this time.

Point 1. George Bush does not stand for the important things that the majority of Canadians stand for. Even John Kerry would be considered ultra-conservative in Canada. That is fact.

Point 2. Yeah, CNN and all the other mass media only report facts. :rolleyes: They do not attempt to influence voters. You must also thing that the Province reports news with no right wing slant. :rolleyes:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gurps said:
Even John Kerry would be considered ultra-conservative in Canada. That is fact.
Really? I haven't heard that "fact". Or could it just be your "opinion"?

I implore you, Gurps, to talk based on fact and not opinion. Don't make me implore you again.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Point 1. George Bush does not stand for the important things that the majority of Canadians stand for. Even John Kerry would be considered ultra-conservative in Canada. That is fact.

Point 1: When you grab someones quote, copy the whole quote and not just the beginning or the end! I said in my Honest Opionin! If my opinion is wrong, please correct me and back it up with stats!

Point 2. Yeah, CNN and all the other mass media only report facts. They do not attempt to influence voters. You must also thing that the Province reports news with no right wing slant.

Funny, I'm reading this and I'm watching Jon Stewart on the Comedy Network and he too said exactly what I just mentioned. Thanks for taking the time to "thing" for me! :rolleyes:

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper, John Kerry's policies are conservative based on conservative economics and the political spectrum. That is a fact. And if you think John Kerry's policies are liberal on the canadian ideolgical spectrum, then I have a bridge for sale, and I may throw in a free religion while I am at it.

By the way, thank's for adding to the discussion, your witty insight has really enlightened me. By the way, do you report the facts in your newspaper :D , or are they opinions, or better yet, are they fantasies?

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Smiles: You just break me up! Is there an original thought anywhere in your brain or have you been captured by the radical Christian right?

The stateless terrorists that you guys decry so much win everytime your gov't opens its yap or a citizen mouths fears like you have on here. The Patriot Act which takes away so many freedoms in a free and democratic country like yours is an example of terrorists winning. They hate freedom and the traditional American way of life. The more the gov't panics and becomes more intrusive in the lives of its citizens the more the terrorists win as they erode what was the foundation of your nation.

If the current USA under President Bush were an animal it might be a leopard. Nah, it is a particular kind of dog, one known as a "fear biter". Found this on a website:

"In dogs, it's called "fear biting". When a dog has been conditioned to be afraid of its surroundings, it will often lash out at random times over puzzling things. At some point, it just gets so scared that it believes its life is in danger and it bites. It's always over a perceived threat, but the actual level of threateningness doesn't have to be very high. If the dog is on the couch, and you sit next to it, it could bite. If you get too close to the dog not realizing it thinks it's cornered, it could bite. If you raise my hand to throw a ball, it could bite. The mind of a fear-biting dog is impenetrable. Nobody can ever predict what it will see as threatening. Sometimes the only threat it needs is the presence of someone who vaguely resembles the person(s) who hurt it in the past."

Isn't post-911 America under President George Bush great!

Hey, Smiles. Cheney's old company Haliburton. You know Haliburton where Cheney was CEO and which is under FBI investigation for Iraq contract rip offs (oh yeah and they like companies from France did business with Iraq as we recall when there was an embargo, right??). I see with Bush-Cheney back in their shares bounced up big time from the lows of the pre-election FBI suggestion that they were ripping off the American people in Iraq contracts which by the way, a small business guy like you could never get because the system is rigged.

Don't you ever feel bad that US troops are dying in Iraq just so you can feel free to say Merry Christmas??

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
djones said:
Point 1: When you grab someones quote, copy the whole quote and not just the beginning or the end! I said in my Honest Opionin! If my opinion is wrong, please correct me and back it up with stats!

Funny, I'm reading this and I'm watching Jon Stewart on the Comedy Network and he too said exactly what I just mentioned. Thanks for taking the time to "thing" for me! :rolleyes:

I will back it up with stats, the Liberal Government of Canada has been in power for more than ten years. They are to the political left of George Bush on the ideoligical spectrum. Need any more facts?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
djones said:

Wow, you are on coming on here and basing your argument on the comedy network? You sure you are not American?

By the way, what is an Opionin? :D

What is it kettle,pot....

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gurps said:
By the way, thank's for adding to the discussion, your witty insight has really enlightened me. By the way, do you report the facts in your newspaper :D , or are they opinions, or better yet, are they fantasies?
Do you think John Kerry is more (read: "ultra") conservative than Stephen Harper?

By the way, I'm German, not witty. You could ask the Captain if he was still around. Or, you could PM Jinky so we could all read about it.

And it's a website, not a newspaper. That's a fact.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0