Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does Coach V get Fired this week?

Does Coach V get the ax this week?

• Total voters

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, who here thinks AV will get his walking papers this week? I think he will and he should. Players have obviously tuned him out, and are responding very negatively to the benchings and line juggling. At this point there isn't much more Gillis can do to save the season.

Bring in the hired gun, Patty Quinn.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think they should.... but it's the Canucks.... Do they ever do anything people are expecting or want?

I think he'll be coach to the end of the year.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not the same old Canucks, though.

Aquilini doesn't seem to have the patience, and appears to be more emotional, and more on the fan side of things. I'll be shocked if AV lasts through the day, TBH.

As soon as they blew the two goal lead last night, I turned it off. All too predictable these days. And, a lot of people are going to blame Sundin for being in the box, but Jesus...kill a penalty once in a bleu moon, please...

the-impersonator

Sep 14, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not the same old Canucks, though.

Aquilini doesn't seem to have the patience, and appears to be more emotional, and more on the fan side of things. I'll be shocked if AV lasts through the day, TBH.

As soon as they blew the two goal lead last night, I turned it off. All too predictable these days. And, a lot of people are going to blame Sundin for being in the box, but Jesus...kill a penalty once in a bleu moon, please...

Your bang on dude. I was so excited watching the game on my new flat screen with the HD all hooked up only to be dissapointed once again. I wasn't suprised and you right....how hard is it to kill a fricken penalty. Columbus, Pheonix and Nashville....the 3 worst PP's in the league and they went 6 for 13 or something. Maybe the special teams coach gets the boot or something. I think AV's line juggling has a lot to do with it. Players can't mesh with their line-mates when it lasts 2 periods.

the-impersonator

Sep 14, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, is losing in HD better or worse than your old TV?

The novelty of the new HD TV is going to wear off quick if they continue to crap the bed. I have season tickets and sell half to my work and out of the half I have I've only been to 4 games all year. When people pay me more than my cost on the tickets I'd rather pocket the money and watch it home. IF they make the playoffs I'll be there.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
PS, the game wasn't aired in HD last night, at least not when I was watching before leaving for training. The Flames v Sabres game was, as was the intermission with the talking heads, but the game camera was not HD, unless Shaw bungled the broadcast to just my house.

As for AV. I have been calling for his head for two weeks. The Nucks come out flat, and when they don't, they can't seem to finish the opposition off (visa vie the CBJ game and SJ game)

They have the skill, but I fear all this line juggling has caused most of the players to play with no confidence and full of fear for the pressbox or the fourth line.

Sundin has been an embarrassment to himself so far in contrast to Shanahan's contributions following a similar layoff.

I'm not sure Quinn is the answer, maybe short term.

I would honestly like to see a coaching change. Not just for the sake of change, but because I fear the worst of not making the playoffs and losing Luongo leaving as a UFA because of the failure to perform by the team at large.

redwoods

Oct 1, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The line juggling kills me now.

But he won't lose his job this week.

agree on both counts...it can't feel good to know that 5-10 min into a game 1 mistake and you are stapled to the bench.
I also think that Sundin is wishing he stayed retired, no fire at all. I thought Luongo looked very normal last night if not below par and that is not going to get it done.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
i guess the fight at practice this morning aint gonna help things....

http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Frustra...1888/story.html

"They can't win a game to save their lives, but the Vancouver Canucks have their game faces on at practice today at UBC.

Losers of eight straight home games, the Canucks' tension and frustration boiled over with a practice altercation involving defenceman Willie Mitchell and winger Mason Raymond.

Mitchell ran at Raymond during a drill and, when the speedy sophomore came back at the veteran in the corner, Mitchell punched Raymond in the head and cross-checked him hard on the shoulder.

The fracas drew several players and coaches, and tough defenceman Shane O'Brien skated to Raymond's defence and challenged Mitchell to fight before tempers calmed.

Centre Mats Sundin, meanwhile, has been reassigned to the checking line. He is practising between Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows. "

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN summed up by the Kurtenbloggers...

By Mike Halford 01-25-2009 COMMENTS(0) Orland Kurtenblog said:
This appeared in Sunday's special Canucks Nations insert in The Province.

Who is he? The Trade Everybody Guy

What's his story? This guy proposes deals with no connection whatsoever to reality, as evidenced by his "Bieksa and a first for Malkin" blockbuster that he’s been pushing for months now.

How do you spot him? He’s the one talking loudly on his cell phone, possibly shopping Alex Edler for a top-six forward. What you don’t hear is his wife on the other end, telling him he needs to pick up sour cream on the way home.

Biggest Concern? Mats Sundin's no-movement clause.

What's He Best Known For? Calling Team 1040 during the second intermission to ensure he gets through to the postgame show.

Quotable: "No problem, I'll hold."

Attachments

• cellphoneguy.jpg
    cellphoneguy.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 58

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
very sad news...

Fin out of Rehab but into Mercury Rich Tuna and Salmon | DailySeagull.com | We right, you read.

"The good news for Fin is that his stint in rehab was successful and he returned to the Canucks’ organization sober and ready to cheer on his beloved team. All charges were dropped by the San Jose Police department and tombstone victim Sammy Girdle was able to feel his toes last evening. Unfortunately, after last night’s embarrassing loss to the hapless Nashville Predators which saw the Canucks set a club record for most consecutive home losses with eight, Fin opted for an escape with deadly ramifications. This time, Fin’s anguish wasn’t drowned in a bottle of brown liquor. Fin’s thirst for escape from this terrible nightmare led to an overdose on the silvery poison that is mercury.
Eye-witness reports indicate that as Fin watched the Canuck’s 3-1 lead evaporate and become a 4-3 deficit he slid out of the booing arena and back to his six by nine cell in the bowels of General Motor’s place. There, Fin reportedly ate 6000 cans of tuna and massive chunks of salmon deemed unfit for human consumption. This seemingly harmless act of depression fueled overeating was recognized too late as an attempt to end his life. Knowing full well that the fish he was consuming was far beyond what scientists could classify as safe due, Fin ate until he could eat no more. While thousands of Vancouverites went to bed with anger in their hearts and a void in their souls, Fin also went to sleep.
On Thursday morning, Fin’s trainer Mobi Dique unlocked the triple-thick padlocks to his cell to find the fish unconscious on a pile of tuna fish cans and broken dreams. Several broken thermometers were also found beside his limp whale body and his blow hole no longer seemed to be taking in air. Fin was immediately rushed to the Canucks trainer responsible for the health of Roberto Luongo’s groin, Juceppi Wian. Sadly, Wian’s initial diagnosis that Fin was peacefully asleep was downgraded to dead when real doctors were brought in to verify the prognosis.
Like the Canuck’s season, Fin passed away on Thursday morning from acute mercury poisoning. His 2000 pound body was dumped in the Burrard Inlet where his body and the high mercury levels coursing through it will be gradually reintroduced into the local ecosystem. At least for Fin, the torture and suffering is now over."

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any team that plays up to the best teams levels and down to the poor teams levels over and over again needs proper coaching...period! Nice guy but it is time...bring on Pat Quinn!

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would not be surprised if last nights offering was it. He may have this home stand to win one but unfortunately the coach is often the first to go.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally Posted by By Mike Halford 01-25-2009 COMMENTS(0) Orland Kurtenblog

This appeared in Sunday's special Canucks Nations insert in The Province.

Who is he? The Trade Everybody Guy

What's his story? This guy proposes deals with no connection whatsoever to reality, as evidenced by his "Bieksa and a first for Malkin" blockbuster that he’s been pushing for months now.

How do you spot him? He’s the one talking loudly on his cell phone, possibly shopping Alex Edler for a top-six forward. What you don’t hear is his wife on the other end, telling him he needs to pick up sour cream on the way home.

Biggest Concern? Mats Sundin's no-movement clause.

What's He Best Known For? Calling Team 1040 during the second intermission to ensure he gets through to the postgame show.

Quotable: "No problem, I'll hold."

So, they didn't do it last week, dispite my recommendations. I'm considering pulling my services here.

The Kurtenblog article in the Province was on fire this morning! Sunsei at the end claiming his observations and destruction of home furnishings may have been the result of boozing.

So, Sunsei, this begs the question: were chicken wings and beer involved? Were you, as they say, up to your elbows?

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gillis is too smart to fire his coach mid season for several reasons:

1. he endorsed AV at the start and on and on so must ride it out for the year.

2. he is learning that his big mouth alone don't win games so he can't start using his few options to keep his job in his first year to prolong his own gig as GM. In other words he realizes now how tough it is to change a team just like Nonis and Burke found it before him.

3. he is learning that his new talent isn't always going to win it for him and now realizes likely that just parts in the team isn't going to keep impressing anyone now that they are actually playing so all that tinkering is fine but won't save him longer term.

4. firing his coach then prolongs his own longevity and doing it later than sooner keeps him in his job. Doing it now and if that doesn't work - then he could be next.

It is like the old management joke.

A new big boss finds a note from the guy who was fired before that says:

"Here are 3 envelopes. Open these one at a time IN order if you run into major trouble."

8 months later the new boss finds himself in the doodoo so he opens the first envelope and the note says: REORGANIZE. He reorganizes the place and it is working not bad.

Months later more trouble. He opens the second envelope and it reads: REORGANIZE AGAIN. It works. He is sailing along with this great advice until more trouble a year or so later. Feeling not so bad he opens the third and last envelope to find it read:

PREPARE 3 ENVELOPES.

Gillis has used his first envelope and for him firing the coach is envelope no. 2. Why do it too soon or he will be on no. 3.

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great points Recco's. the New NHL doesn't alow you to spend or trade your way out of trouble. could be interesting to see what happens next.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess, but you're dealling w/ a business w/ a very short shelf life, in a market where failure isn't perceived as an acceptable option by the customers.

That said, who knows what is going on behind the scenes. We have no idea what it is like. Maybe Gillis is mobilizing for a big trade right now, i.e.: Bieksa.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0