Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Crawford sacked by Vancouver?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nonnis has called a press conference for 3:00 today. The rumour mongers suspect it's to announce Crow's firing... Canucks are on the hook for 1.4mill for another season.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Report: Canucks fire head coach Crawford
Marc Crawford

TSN.ca Staff

4/25/2006 4:38:17 PM

The Vancouver Canucks have called a news conference for 6:30pm et/3:30pm pt where they are expected to announce the firing of head coach Marc Crawford, according to MOJO Radio in Vancouver.

According to MOJO, no replacement has been named.

With Crawford at the helm this season, the Canucks finished with a 42-32-8 record and failed to make the playoffs for the first time in six years.

Crawford holds a career record of 411 wins and 285 regulation losses in 823 regular season games.

He was hired as coach in 1999 and holds the club record for wins with 246.

Crawford began his NHL coaching career with the Quebec Nordiques in 1994 and in his first season became the youngest coach to win the Jack Adams Award for coach of the year. He became the third-youngest coach in NHL history to win a Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalanche in 1996. Crawford coached the Avalanche for two more seasons and left the club after the 1997-98 campaign.

In 1998, Crawford coached Canada's Men's Olympic Hockey team, the first to feature NHL players in a 'dream tournament' in Nagano. Under Crawford, the Canadian team finished fourth behind Finland, Russia and the Czech Republic.

Crawford played his entire six-year NHL career with the Canucks.
Terrible move.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here comes the Big Irish Men, Patty O Quinn.

Perhaps they are going to hire his buddy Stan McHammon (sp.) as the new Prez?

hos

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
trece verde said:
Ted Nolan anybody?

I'm sure he'd love it here instead of getting treated like shite in Moncton....:rolleyes:

Trece

That would be an alright move...
Not sure if I agree with the Crow being shot outta the nest, but hey, welcome to the graveyard Crow!!

Anyone else feel like ending their career...COME ON OVA!!

striker14

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bring back Quinn!!!

If they don't this was the a bad move....first they get rid of Burke now they will bring in a nobody like Milbury for Crawford:rolleyes:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We've gone through this already haven't we? You have the attention span of a freaking 2 year old.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good Move.

6 Years here. Made it past the first round once. I think he got a fair enough shot. Time for a change. Now hopefully they make some more changes. Including getting rid of Cloutier, Bertuzzi and one or two more players and finding some guys taht will fit well, and help us get into the playoff and hopefully a Stanley Cup.

Fine the Canucks fired Burke. It's over. Not the first bad thing they did and it won't be the last.

Continue on.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
We've gone through this already haven't we? You have the attention span of a freaking 2 year old.

please stop talking your knowledge of sports is brutal...someone should can your ass from mod....maybe bring in JB!

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ted Nolan would be a great coach in Vancouver IMO.

You gotta wonder why the guy never gets a shot in the NHL.:rolleyes:

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think they should prmote Don Hay from the Giants, he would be a good fit and is really good with young talent.

Quinn really makes to much money for the Canucks.

Although Crawford in Toronto is almost a given...money is no object in TO so Crawford should end up there.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Franchise said:
please stop talking your knowledge of sports is brutal...someone should can your ass from mod....maybe bring in JB!
And yet you've never once been able to argue anything to the contrary.Brilliant.

Sage

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gurps said:
Ted Nolan would be a great coach in Vancouver IMO.

You gotta wonder why the guy never gets a shot in the NHL.:rolleyes:

I've always wondered that too... he was an excellent coach, and is respected by many people in hockey. What did he do to get black-listed? The only thing I've heard is that he bad-mouthed the owners/managment last time he got canned? Anybody have more info?

Anyhow, the problem with the nucks is not bad coaching... it's bad effort from "superstar" players who think they are too good to put in an honest effort for the team. They gotta make some big changes... and I say get rid of Naslund and make Jovo captain :eek:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What are the possibilities of bringing Sutter in from the red deer rebels I wonder. He seems to be able to get the most out of his players. Trading Naslund would be a horrible idea muppet. The guy has been a top sniper for how many years, and played most of the year with a pulled growing. He will be back next year as one of te leagues top scorers.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
IMO, firing Crow was a terrible move, just like letting Burke go!!! The problem with this city is people tend to forget what you've accomplished over a few seasons and only care for "what have you done for me lately"... Before Burke and Crow came to town the Nucks were a revolving door for coaches, players and especially goalies!!! There was no stability or playoffs... No Div. titles or great expectations... The problem with establishing stability, loyalty and a winning record every season is you get greater expectations and for whatever reason the Canucks have not lived up to...
Should Bertuzzi or Nazy go? Probably.
Should Cloutier be given away for a puck bag? I guess.
Should Linden retire? I think so.
My problem with pointing fingers and making noise is you need to have a game plan to resolve the many issues that hang over this team... Hopefully Nonis has a solution, because I sure as hell don't...

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My problem with pointing fingers and making noise is you need to have a game plan to resolve the many issues that hang over this team... Hopefully Nonis has a solution, because I sure as hell don't...
That's why you sell Beaver Buzz to nipples like me and he runs an NHL franchise, slap nut. Like with anything when you get success, albeit marginal in terms of play-off's, comes greater expectations and pressures, plus he's dealing with new ownership. Profound thought I know. I'm surprised Franchise didn't come up with it. He's probably too busy living in 94' or the trip from the deepest depths of his arse wasn't worth the trip out...

Now, while I don't necessarily believe the Canucks main problem lie on the shoulders of the coach I do think the changes will be good. I believe Nonis when he says this is only the beginning.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard a while back he was black listed becuase he was going to "play that card" when Buffalo let him go. Thus the "black list" status he seems to be on. Notice how no one will talk about WHY he's hasn't got a job yet? It's very hush, hush even with the media types. Something major is keeping this guy out of the NHL.

Anyone else think the media in Vancouver fired Crow before Nonis did?

FCbytca

Sep 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I say its time to break up the whole core, good move on firing Crow, good coach but has he really accomplished anything except a solid reg season record??? jovo for captain yes, keep naslund, sack bert and both of the keeps, promo the 2nd line to first and start looking for solid young players. The problem with this team was that they kept it pretty much together for a long time, all these promises, if you make play offs you stay together crap did nothing for the team. The injuries everyone was talking about, please, we had more talent than Nashvile....

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vigneault, Quinn among Canucks' hopefuls?

Canadian Press

4/26/2006 9:51:45 AM

VANCOUVER (CP) - Canucks general manager Dave Nonis promised the search for a new head coach will be extensive.

Nonis might not have to look far for a replacement for Marc Crawford, who was fired Tuesday.

It could be Manitoba Moose coach Alain Vigneault, who meets all the criteria Nonis listed.

Detroit Red Wings scout David Lewis and Paul Maurice, head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs' AHL affiliate, are also candidates.

"We have to be open to looking at qualified candidates and I'd be lying if I didn't say having head-coaching experience was a plus because there's a lot you learn," Nonis said.

"It's about the right person, not the person that is the sexiest choice to do the best job."

Vigneault is head coach of Canucks' AHL affiliate, the Manitoba Moose, who went 44-24-7-5 this season.

He coached the Montreal Canadiens from 1997-2001, compiling a record of 109-113-39-5 and reaching the Eastern Conference semifinals in his first season.

He spent 13 seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with Hull, Beauport and P.E.I. and won a Memorial Cup with Hull in 1988.

Vigneault is a no-nonsense coach who relates well to young and old players.

Lewis had been a fixture behind the Wings bench since 1987 as an assistant and head coach, but his contract was not renewed last summer.

In his two seasons at the helm, the Wings were eliminated in the first round (2003) and second round (2004) of the playoffs. His head-coaching record with the Wings was 96-41-21-6. He's a players' coach who might be the right tonic.

Maurice is head coach of the Toronto Marlies, who went 41-29-6-4 this season.

He was fired as head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes in December 2003, which was 18 months after the Hurricanes eliminated Toronto in the Eastern Conference final.

Maurice's record with Carolina was 268-307-99. His professionalism and calm demeanour are big selling points.
The say no to Pat Quinn campaign starts now.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts