Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Champions League 2005/2006

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Porto 1-1 Rangers

McLeish says side restored pride.
Rangers' young guns breathed new life into their side's Champions League hopes and Alex McLeish's job prospects with a draw against the odds in Oporto.
Lisandro looked to have sent Porto into second place in Group H with a fine glancing header from a Bosingwa cross.

Rangers had failed to put a shot on target until Chris Burke headed into the path of fellow young substitute Ross McCormack to drive the ball home.

And they held on despite late pressure to stay ahead of Porto and Artmedia.

Inter Milan's defeat of the Bratislavans means that Rangers are guaranteed at least a place in the Uefa Cup for finishing third.

But the Glasgow side's hopes of becoming the first from Scotland to progress to the knockout stages had been hampered by poor form that has put McLeish on the brink of losing his job.

They were also not helped by injury to the talismanic Dado Prso and a clutch of other strikers.

Veteran Alex Rae returned to the midfield for the first time since August, with striker Steven Thompson dropping to the bench and Fernando Ricksen moving to right-back in place of Alan Hutton.

Porto dominated from the start and Ricardo Quaresma unleashing an angled shot into the arms of goalkeeper Ronald Waterreus from the edge of the box.

Bosingwa whipped a dangerous cross into the box only for Lisandro to send his header just over the crossbar under pressure from Marvin Andrews.

Quaresma jinked between Ricksen and Hamed Namouchi but fired into the side netting when a cross would have been the better option.

Porto were being held at bay by the negative tactics of Rangers, who themselves had struggled to progress beyond the halfway line.

And frustrated Porto coach Co Adriaanse sent on striker Hugo Almeida at half time in place of Pedro Emanuel.

Almeida and Jorginho both threatened before Porto's pressure eventually told.

Lisandro beat Ricksen in the air to glance home the opener from Bosingwa's cross from deep after 60 minutes.

Captain Barry Ferguson squandered a rare Rangers chance, firing well over from 20 yards following a Ricksen cross.

But McLeish sent on Burke and McCormack and they combined for a smash and grab equaliser finished from 10 yards.

Porto pressed forward and struck the outside of the post after a last-ditch goalmouth scramble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Porto: Vitor Baia, Cesar Peixoto, Pepe, Pedro Emanuel (Hugo Almeida 45), Bosingwa, Diego (Bruno Alves 64), Paulo Assuncao, Gonzalez, Quaresma, Lopez, Jorginho.
Subs Not Used: Helton, Ricardo Costa, Ibson, McCarthy, Ivanildo.

Booked: Quaresma.

Goal: Lopez 60.

Rangers: Waterreus, Murray, Kyrgiakos, Andrews, Ricksen, Lovenkrands (Burke 78), Ferguson, Hemdani, Alex Rae (Thompson 62), Namouchi, Jeffers (McCormack 76).
Subs Not Used: Klos, Malcolm, Pierre-Fanfan, Hutton.

Booked: Hemdani, Murray, Ferguson.

Goal: McCormack 83.

Att: 48,000

Ref: Herbert Fandel (Germany)

Looks like we didn't impress but we will take those points baby.

:knvb:

I can't understand why Chris Burke is not regular in the side.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually Guinness, I've just become educated on the fact that we're at the very least still in the UEFA Cup now even if we don't finish second in the group.

Playing in Europe in 2006.

Oh, and before I forget Captain:

Ppppppllllllllllllllllllltttttttttttt.

:D

:knvb:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would like to congratulate Rangers and the supporters on TTP for such a powerful performance. It's not often you get one shot on net in a game and manage to earn one point. You must all love big Eck again because the Huns deserved that point today. Now, where was that 'effort' against Celtic over the last few weeks? :D

Carry on.........

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've been waiting for Zenga to post today's CL scores but he must be busy. Anyway, after a Stamford Bridge stalemate Liverpool top their group ahead of Chelsea (and as Steve Hunter said, "who's the special one now Jose?"). AC Milan and PSV also go through, as well as Lyon and Real. Inter take their group followed by, last but certainly not least, Rangers.

On to tomorrow and a nailbiter for the Manc supporters. Go on Benfica! If Simao was to help knock the scum out of Europe and then sign for the 'Pool in January I think I would probably pee myself.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rangers 1 Internationale 1

Brilliant result for the Gers today on their performance and qualification into the final 16 knockout stages of the Champions League!!! They've went through a terrible run of results domestically lately, but this masks those wounds for the time being... Hopefully the likes of Novo and Prso can get healthy for the New Year...

~GEROY ;)

Attachments

• Lovenkrands.jpg
    Lovenkrands.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 68

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re Glasgow Rangers 1 vs Internazionale 1 :

I cannot believe that they took away some of the after the match coverage of the riveting Scott tournament of Hearts (sponsored by Tim Hortons) qualifications live from the Moncton arena where 53 rabid maritimers were riveted to their seats for the extra ends match where the coug with Cher like hoop earrings beat out the Dottie Pepper of the ice skippered (no, really, I'm straight) rink on a fabulous 11th end double to go through to the quarter finals of the Maritime Regionals:knvb: And just to head up to Glasgow wherever the Fcuk that is Scotland or whateverrrrr....to see some dumb footie match between some alabaster complexioned redheads against some other tall dark good looking guys with black gloves on and nice long hairstyles (kind of like in the whistling Kappa commercial), the result being a boring tie.

I so cannot believe that TSN cut out the interview between Ernie Afaghanistan, Don Chevrier and that HOT Nova Scotia skip talking about drawing cold to the four foot without her hair even moving! Did they not see the beads of perspiration on the upper lip of the Ontario third?? Labbats Tankard Illustrated is reporting that she got a pre rink wax to boot, shinier than sheet 8 at the Edmonton Winter Club!! I mean, they could have cut out way more than that 25 minutes in the second half of that ridiculous soccer game and shown the MILF in her interview...dont they realize what cold Nova Scotian air does to a 35 year old woman's nipples? Get some scheduling wherewithhall for crying in the sink!! This is NOT rocket science...

heanjob

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Rangers 1 Internationale 1

Guinness said:
Brilliant result for the Gers today on their performance and qualification into the final 16 knockout stages of the Champions League!!! They've went through a terrible run of results domestically lately, but this masks those wounds for the time being... Hopefully the likes of Novo and Prso can get healthy for the New Year...

~GEROY ;)

Well done to the Huns!

Thank you for the passage into the group stages next year as well! :cool:

HJ

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wearrapeepl.

:)

And your welcome Heanjob - Cheers.
Consider the debt repaid from when you went to Seville and bumped up the country's UEFA rankings that year.
We're square. ;)

Brullyant,

RF

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good result for the Reds, glad I had some $$ on a draw. It is nice to see the semi-finalists were not hurt by being group together as PSV and AC made it as well. NIce to see a team from Glasgow into the next round, could think of better ones to see but still a quality result for the Huns.

"Who is the special one now Jose"

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Rangers 1 Internationale 1

Guinness said:

~GEROY ;)

Well done to the Huns! As I said on the other thread, I don't know how they did but they did. A good accomplishment no matter who was in the group. Now, do you think your boys can actually win a game soon? That's 10 in a row without a win(although I'm sure it certainly felt like a win) and you're travelling to the 4th place team this weekend.

Hail Hail

Kippax

Aug 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree, very unlucky for United fans today. I thought they had turned the corner beating newly promoted side West Ham and then one of the worst teams in the premier league Portsmouth. They played such a good game as well. Oh well, unluckly for them.

ps- I hope Benfica's goalie is ok. He is a tough kid for getting up time after time, certainly the one where he almost got touched. :D

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As the Mancs go crashing out

Sad result for United today. But looking on the bright side for the Manc supporters, at least they won't have to watch their side play like shite in Europe anymore this season. When was the last time they actually won an away game in Europe anyway?

Apparently Dutch television ended their match broadcast with a montage of all United's Champions League exits since '99, which ended with a picture of Sir Alex fading into black. Gee, what are you trying to say?

Wayne Rooney in an after game interview, " I came here to win trophies and it ain't looking good". Uh, wow.

How much did Ferdinand cost, 29 million pounds or something? That is unbelievable now. Fcuking Snoop Dog Ferdinand, if Carragher is not Terry's partner at the WC it will be a disgrace.

Ah, poor Malcolm Glazer. Say bye-bye to 15 million pounds twat.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
-Gary Neville was a disgrace today....one decent cross from the flank which resulted in a goal - too bad the other 25 opportunities ended up in row F.
-Something has to be done by FIFA to stop all the faking of injuries....Benifica were brutal today.
-Terry, Campbell, King and Carragher are all ahead of Rio in the depth chart at Centre back
-Saha and Kim played like they're signed for Binger's Army
-No one on the pitch for Man U that was able to take control.....Oh where, oh where is Keano.
-Anyone see Ronaldo do the ole "scratch the side of my head while I finger the crowd"
-What a bunch of misfits.....
-C'mon Pool!!!!

Sandman

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Christ, I would put Dawson ahead of "Blame it on" Rio. He's a fcukin' poser of the heighest order. Only a corn row behind me of course.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Glasgow Rangers have created history by becoming the first Scottish team to conquer Europe and march valiantly into the prestigious 2nd Round Stage of the League of Champions.

An easily controlled draw against Inter Milan was more than enough to see the Scottish SPL Champions progress. Milan with the much over hyped Adriano had taken a lucky lead after the Brazilian appeared to physically assault and down the brilliant man-marker Marvin Andrews but this only annoyed Alex MacLeishs troops into a stinging rebuke.

With a crowd of 50'000, of whom at least 20% had stayed behind to herald the Manager at the weekend playfully singing loud and proud, flying Dane Peter Lovenkrands, the much heralded 'Scourge of Celtic' surged forward onto a Thomas Buffel pass to score what will undoubtedly be awarded Goal of the Competition.

Milan with typical Italian\Vatican style cowardice then collapsed and were saved from a doing only by cunning last 16 draw tactics and an amazing show of restraint by a Rangers team saving themselves for a monumental trip to Rugby Park this weekend. This extends Rangers historical sequence to 11 games and as per usual everyone connected with football is truly speechless.

This unbelievable Rangers side have now surpassed Celtics Lisbon, Paisleys Liverpool and even dare we say Wattys 9 in a row side for sheer skill, bravery and consistency. The BBC have already re-opened their voting site for Team of The Century after being inundated with millions of calls from around the world after last nights superb display of football finesse.

The consequences of this victory are quite literally impossible to comprehend. Rangers European rating has now gone so high UEFA have warned of possible problems with their Computer systems, quotients are only meant to be in double figures!. Lex Gold of the SPL confirmed that Scottish teams will now all be automatically entered into UEFA cup competitions forever more. Sadly the creation of such a historical achievement has amazingly been ignored by Glasgow District Council who have denied Rangers an open top bus from Duke Street to Copland Road.

The main question is shall the majority of the wonderfully talented Gers staff be there to enjoy the glorious advanced stages. Such recentperformances have after all hardly gone unnoticed.

With the Real Madrid, Portsmouth and Kettering positions open it must be on Eck MacLeishs mind that he could be looking at managing a totally different squad come January. Skipper Barry Ferguson, the colossus of the midfield once again showed how he is revered when Roberto Mancini had to field a midfield without Veron and Figo who it seems simply dared not to face the Ibrox Dynamo. Whether Ferguson would go to such a weak league is another matter.

The true talent however lies at the feet of David Murray. Chairman extraordinaire. This man is a marvel who consistently produces the goods for his manager, team and fans. When MacLeish astonished the world by saying he wanted Iain Murray, his Chairman asked no question. The only problem may be that Murray is now a victim of his own success and fans fear he may be forced to step down to devote more time to his amazing business empire.

Looking forward to the last 16 and Rangers are the name on everyone's lips. Liverpool's Chief Scout Alex Miller said 'It would be amazing' while a source at Barcelona showed their fear by simply saying 'Rangers?, No no no. We do not want Rangers here!'. Whoever get Rangers in the up and coming draw are bound to be scared. very scared indeed.

Darryl Bentfoot

Nice article. :D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sandman said:
-Gary Neville was a disgrace today....one decent cross from the flank which resulted in a goal - too bad the other 25 opportunities ended up in row F.
-Something has to be done by FIFA to stop all the faking of injuries....Benifica were brutal today.
-Terry, Campbell, King and Carragher are all ahead of Rio in the depth chart at Centre back
-Saha and Kim played like they're signed for Binger's Army
-No one on the pitch for Man U that was able to take control.....Oh where, oh where is Keano.
-Anyone see Ronaldo do the ole "scratch the side of my head while I finger the crowd"
-What a bunch of misfits.....
-C'mon Pool!!!!

Sandman

It's a Portuguese thing, Sandman. Did you see the UEFA Cup final in 2003? Porto were masters of it, led by Jose Mourinho who has since given other teams stick for doing it.......What goes around comes around....I guess....

Billy boy

Sep 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congratulations to Rangers on being the first Scottish team to reach the knockout stages of the C L. Unfortunately I cannot see them "doing a Liverpool" so lets get the finger out in the league and qualify for next years event.

Billy Boy

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0