Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks 2012/2013 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucks 2013

Kassian for Prime Minister!!!

Pretty calm, cool, and collected.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Canucks 2013

He has the fastest hands (when playing confidently) from a big player that I've seen in a long time.

Hopefully AV will not staple him to the bench after his next mistake and strip that confidence away.

Now if only a second and third line would emerge...

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rough start but slowley tam is doing better. Second line is just not good enough. Montreal has one or two players that could fit Canucks style of play. One guy that would help is Lars Eller. I do't think Montral is a place for him. We have one or two guys that would help Montreal. Yan in Chicago is looking to play in NHL Montreal would lift him up.
Canucks lack down the midle Lars would fit on the second or third line well. He also has size that we lack down the midle.
Lue could play in Montreal we could use Price. If we loose Lue i just do not think Snids will be the same. Just my opinion. What do you guys think of trading with new manager in Montreal. It just might work.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
You just might see Louango stay here , Snids might move on.Eller has on goal so far but his play would fit Canucks.
Habs are turnig corner but they need more help. Yann Sauve needs a better team to play on.It looks to me that Gillis has given up on Yann. Anton Rodin has no points I do't think he will stick around with Canucks next year. Gillis needs to make few moves to keap the team fresh and alert.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
[h=3]Bure's Triple Deke: Gillis on Malhotra: 'The hardest thing I have done'

Gillis on Malhotra: 'The hardest thing I have done'[/h]

When it was announced yesterday that Mike Gillis was shutting Manny Malhotra down for the season, even the most positive-minded among us could put the decision into context. In the last year of his contract and his performance in sharp decline since his eye injury, it can be fairly assumed that Malhotra played his last game as a Canuck last Saturday against Calgary. And as ubiquitously respected as the centreman is around the league, when your general manager declares that he cannot with a straight conscience let you play, the chances of another team signing you on is bleak.

At his best, Malhotra was instrumental in vaulting the Canucks into a Presidents' Trophy-calibre team. So high was his profile in his first year with Vancouver that NHL.com had him as their Selke Trophy favourite in January 2011. Even for a mid-season awards prediction, it takes a lot to out-Selke Pavel Datsyuk. Ryan Kesler needed no less than 41 goals to knock the Red Wing off, so you can imagine how well-esteemed Malhotra's all-around play was at the time. Despite missing 10 regular season games to his eye injury, he ultimately finished fifth in Selke voting; his six first-place votes were second only to Kesler.

Even while struggling to return to form in 2011-12, Malhotra led all Canucks forwards in average shorthanded ice time (2:24 minutes per game), while his faceoff percentage (58.5%) ranked fourth in the league. At the time of Gillis' announcement, those statistical trends were steadfastly continuing into the current campaign (2:47 and 65.3%). By comparison, Malhotra's numbers from his first year in Vancouver were 2:45 shorthanded minutes per game with a 61.7% faceoff percentage.

That's not to say that his defensive play, as a whole, was unaffected by his injury. From a statistical standpoint, Malhotra's blocked shot and takeaway totals last season were nearly half that of the 2010-11 campaign (45 blocked shots to 74 and 22 takeaways to 45). And while his 2011-12 statistics, including 7 goals and 18 points, constituted above-average fourth-line contributions, his play had observably diminished, nonetheless.

Whether Malhotra remains a practical utility to the Canucks, however, has been reduced to a moot argument. The Mississauga-native with unquestioned character and leadership is destined for a much-deserved role somewhere within the organization. Be it with the coaching staff or front office, Vancouver can only hope he remains with the Canucks in some capacity for the long term.

'Bout time Vigneault had some healthy competition on the payroll, anyways.

-HC

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Makes me wonder why the Canucks would wait until 12 games into the season before making a decision on this, though. If the decline in his ability was so noticeable over the last season as shown by these stats, then why wait until a new season has finally started before jerking the rug out from under his feet? Why not have the retirement conversation with him in the offseason and do it a bit more gracefully? If his eye didn't get better over the full season last year, how was it possibly supposed to get better since the end of last season? I'm kind of cynical about this announcement because it seems like some bets were being hedged by Malhotra all of a sudden became expendable (a less euphemistic term for "forceably retired") once Kesler was healthy again.

Agreed that it would be nice to be able to keep him in the organization, but if there's anything to this, I can't see him wanting to stay here.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If management is to be believed, they game Manny another chance with a full offseason of training to prove he was ok to compete. They approached him last year about their concerns and he convinced them to give him another shot. They did and he could not. Hence the pulling of the plug now.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And separately, the day after Manny was hit with the puck I was driving with one of his Canuck teammates and they had just been told that Manny's eye basically exploded and that he was done with hockey. They were devastated with this news. The fact he got to where he did is amazing.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
so do you think they will review the punch to the face that Burrows received while going for a puck in the air? :rolleyes:
what a joke this league has become

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0