Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks 2011 Offseason

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN for the record , i enjoy your posts. You save me time not having to google and bing stuff.

Kesler needs some skill to play with! The organization owes him that much.

Alexander Frolov
Erik Cole
Nikolai Zherdev
Simon Gagne
Michael Ryder
Scottie Upshal
???

JBN i hear your Voros may be heading home?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
13Green,

I think that the Nucks will do everything in their power to assimilate Ballard now that Ehrhoff is gone, unless Gillis has a plan in place for a trade or to sign a UFA to run the powerplay.

Ehrhoff was a beast offensively for the Nucks but was average to a little above average as far as defensive zone play and turnovers to takeaways... for 4.5-6 Mill that he would cost you I think a suitable replacement can be found if you're looking at a 5th or 6th defenseman who will play 8-10 minutes a night but be a true PP quarterback.

conversely if you think that Bieksa, Edler, Salo and Ballard can be your PP tandems and you just want a middle of the road shutdown Dman Scott Hannan, Jan Heda, and Jon Ericsson are available as UFA's.

As far as Ballard, he is not as attractive an option for some of the floor teams who will be looking for people with higher cap hits than actual salary. His hit is his Salary, so for a Florida, Phoenix (who already spends a bunch on their back end) Colorado, Winnipeg and Long Island they might be looking elsewhere.

if Ballard can get with it I think he can have a career year here: He is going to be not damaged/injured for Training Camp, wasn't played enough during the Playoffs to be hurt or dinged up and should be ready to go to be a 20 minute + per game guy this year, at least let's hope so because he has an additional 3 years on his contract past this upcoming season. :eek:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
akslop, Voros will not sign a UFA deal with Vancouver, not unless the Nucks are the only team that offer him a 1 way deal. As much as people like to think that "BC Boys" want to play in Van, that is the exception and not the rule. You constantly have friends hitting you up for tickets, you can't ever get away from the game, and really for what Aaron offers a team in the NHL, the Canucks are not going to benefit from him at all. He's big, willing to fight-but rarely wins them, he's an average skater and a hard worker/great forchecker, but he's lost "his role" to other fringe NHL'ers in New York, Anaheim, and was never given a chance in Toronto after the trade deadline last year. I haven't spoken with him about his situation, but I'd almost hazard a guess that he might retire or go overseas if he doesn't get a 1 way deal. From what I know about his situation he has networked and made loads of connections for his after NHL life, and to go back to making 600k(NHL)/75-90k(AHL) 2 way deal is not something a lot of guys coming off of a 3 year 1Mill p/yr deal find appetizing.

Gagne will cost an arm and a leg, as good a player he is, he won't be cheap. Ryder!? really?! Upshal has never done anything and I've heard absolute horror stories about Zherdev, so no thanks.

I highly doubt Mike Gills will do anything "drastic" unless he can get a trade to go off including Hodgson, Schneider, and Ballard.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
What do you think now Johnny, I gues Mark Macari will take Toresses spot. And Marco Strum will take Tanner's spot. Marco is way better player than Tanner. They also picked up few othe guys to shore the farm team. Looks like Tambolini is on the way out. Most likey Europe. The kid from Qubeck is also a tough guy. Bit by bit we will be better.
Edmonton is going to kick the crap out of us if we do not add a fighter on this side.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So we lose Tanner Glass (Jets) and Raffi Torres (Coyotes)... surprised?

Where so you think Gillis is going to find suitable replacements - and yes, he has to, we need some grit and those 2 provided the most on a consistent basis I think...

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Simone Gange would have looked good beside Kesler @ 3.5/year.. I gues thats the problem when u run a system like Gillis of playing for less. Your options are left limited as u cannot pay more for one guy than what Burrows makes per year. How ever Lots of time left to tinker

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
4ST GMP it is o so nice that I lift you nerves up. Any coach should do that. They have the cup we have the shaft. Latley Mr Gillis has picked up few men that can fight and skate. You will see better results in playoffs if we make them.
We still need a Dam tough D that can rifle the puck. With out him nota.
Strum can be the guy up front if his knees hold up. I am very sorrey not to see Tombolini senior not trying to get his own sun to come to Edmonton. We could use Eager to bend few noses.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Simone Gange would have looked good beside Kesler @ 3.5/year.. I gues thats the problem when u run a system like Gillis of playing for less. Your options are left limited as u cannot pay more for one guy than what Burrows makes per year. How ever Lots of time left to tinker

Thought the same thing, Gagne would have looked good on our second line. 3.5/year isn't over paying and we should have been able to afford that. I don't think Burrows at 2/year has anything to do with it. Perhaps not what we were looking for and we may have been scared away by the injury problems. LA kings have improved big time with Richards and Gagne.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see Bolduc went to the Coyotes and Rypien to the Jets.

I also see Richards went to the Rangers and not the Leafs. Plan B Connolly? Good luck with that :)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just back from the long weekend away at a camping trip with no access to wifi :mad:

Looks like we lost a bunch of guys that were "losable" perhaps except Raffi Torres... unless the plan is to push Lapierre to the wing and see Hodgson play Centre somewhere on the team as a fulltime NHLer this year.

Added:
Mark Mancari from Buffalo's ahl affiliate, on a one way 525k salary (I'd assume to effectively replace Tambellini, scores big numbers at the AHL Level, but at 6'4 225 perhaps he just hasn't got a shot to play yet?)
Marco Strum from Washington (A career second or third line good skater with decent size at 6' 195, last few seasons were blighted by injury and this is certainly a reclamation project)
Andrew Ebbet from Phoenix (A small centreman who's put up about a point every three games on duty with poor NHL teams)
Steve Pinizzotto from Washington (By all accounts a hard nosed winger/centreman who is tough for his weight class and can skate and kill penalties) Perhaps he's the Raffi Torres replacement?

The Nucks resigned Salo & Alberts for slightly more than I'd have like to paid for them, Higgins at anything under 2.0 Mill per is a deal imho.

I still think, especially looking back on last year and how Gillis did his business last year, there is more activity to come. We've only really "lost" Glass and Torres, and I'm happy we lost Torres at the money he got, I don't think in a million years he's worth any more than 1.0-1.2 per year. Glass was too emotional and not big enough considering the lack of size we have up front. A willing combatant for the odd fight and good on the forecheck, but if we're worrying about a 4th liner we got too much time on our hands.

I'd assume that Pinizzotto guy is on a 2 way deal, the others are all one way deals. Mancari at 525k on a one way deal is fine.

There are some decent players still available out there
FW: JP Dumont, Tom Pyatt, Chris Drury, Matt Bradley, Jason Arnott, Mike Comrie, Marek Svatos, Alex Frolov, Zenon Konopka
D: Scott Hannan, Anton babchuk, Sami Lepisto, Freddy Meyer

Mike Gillis has found, in the last few years, a "castoff" or two and repurposed them: See Chris Higgins, Raffi Torres, etc.

I don't think we have seen the last of anything here at all. The fact remains that the "Core" of this group is still together and it's just a matter of getting the mix right and adding a few things here and there to ensure we have the horses for another deep run and to ensure our special teams won't fall off the mountain if a few of the personnel get dinged up.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was also stunned by the Leino contract, 4.5 is a LOT of cash for a guy with no real track record.

4.5 per over 6 years is a huge deal. and really just goes to show how early July in the NHL is truly "silly season"

Ehrhoff makes 10 million this year, 8 Mill the next then 4 the next 4 then 3 then 1 then 1. (Silly doesn't begin to describe that deal!)

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0