Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Women Striking

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually, I've been quite critical of the approach taken by the men as well. And, I've never suggested that there should be "no" compensation; I've suggested that the players could have focused on things like creature comforts, training, etc while also asking that the money they earn get pumped back into the grassroots system.

All we ever seem to hear from either team is complaining. It's usually about money, and it's usually to the effect that more of it should be going into their pockets. I won't apologize for finding it irritating...

The reality is that the CSA signed a legally binding contract that bet against their own national teams. I don't like it any more than the players do. But it's a binding contract and restricts the money available for the players' purposes. Sinc - who I have a ton of respect for - has basically demanded that the contract just be torn up.

Who's in the stone age, exactly?
"All we ever seem to hear from either team is complaining. It's usually about money, and it's usually to the effect that more of it should be going into their pockets. I won't apologize for finding it irritating..."

Your being irritated doesn't put food on women players plates or pay them for lost opportunity doing other work. You have to toughen up mentally!

That was my point in my stone age post. It's not good news for the CSA that the stories are negative for their brand and sports management in Canada as most stories like hockey are negative.

You're not exactly the broadest gauge thinker on TakethePiss if you're not up on how to get around contracts and binding agreements.

Last edited:

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

The women’s soccer economy is exploding, despite the critics​

SIMON HOUPT
PUBLISHED JULY 16, 2023UPDATED JULY 24, 2023

Some numbers to bolster his position: In 2019, FIFA said 1.12 billion viewers across the globe tuned in to TV and digital coverage of that year’s Women’s World Cup. This year, FIFA is aiming for an audience of two billion.

In March, FIFA’s president, Gianni Infantino, announced the prize money for this year’s tournament will reach US$110-million, more than triple than in 2019. He added that he wanted the prize pool for the men’s and women’s World Cups to be equal by the next cycle, in 2026 and 2027.

Last week, Dr. Ann Pegoraro spoke with The Globe and Mail about the FIFA Women’s World Cup.

In analyzing the state of the women’s game, “we’re not necessarily comparing apples to apples, in terms of the development, the investment and the time that’s been given,” to men’s soccer, explained Pegoraro.

“We often compare women’s sport, where they are today, to men’s sport, where they are today. If we compare women’s soccer now to men’s soccer 30 years ago, that would be a more equitable comparison," she says.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
"All we ever seem to hear from either team is complaining. It's usually about money, and it's usually to the effect that more of it should be going into their pockets. I won't apologize for finding it irritating..."

Your being irritated doesn't put food on women players plates or pay them for lost opportunity doing other work. You have to toughen up mentally!

That was my point in my stone age post. It's not good news for the CSA that the stories are negative for their brand and sports management in Canada as most stories like hockey are negative.

You're not exactly the broadest gauge thinker on TakethePiss if you're not up on how to get around contracts and binding agreements.

First of all, don't edit in changes to what I wrote and then present it as if you've copy and pasted. Your first quote is accurate. The second one is not. I didn't say any of that.

Perhaps I need to be blunt. The women's game does not yet generate enough revenue to, writ large, support remuneration akin to full-time employment. It would be wonderful if that changed, but so far women's leagues in any sport in North America have either failed or require significant subsidies from elsewhere.

Respectfully, I'm focusing on the facts, not what I might wish the situation to be. I think your exhortation about me needing to "toughen up mentally" is just a projection...

Finally, there are permissible and impermissible ways to "get around contracts and binding agreements". Dirty pool of some kind in formation of the contract would do it. Re-negotiations between the parties is another (and one the CSA is, I believe, trying).

Unilaterally tearing up a contract because you have buyers remorse is not. And the players? They're at best an interested third party with not a sliver of standing to demand anything...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kenan Thompson Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

uniballer

Sep 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

Canada Soccer to earn US$1.56 million in prize money from FIFA for World Cup showing​

Let the games begin......

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is this something new? I thought it was well known $30K per player for group stage, ie, just being there.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
yes, although a number of federations are apparently having their own issues with the teams and where the money goes...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0