Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada Women @ Olympic Qualifying Tourney in Vancouver 2012

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to the WNT with the win last night to qualify for London this summer.

I have to ask though where the fcuk the attendance numbers being quoted are coming from?

Supposedly almost 23K? How is this possible when I saw huge swabs of empty seats (I guess from USA fans not sticking around) and the seats not coming right down to the pitch?

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was reading about this game in the paper this morning, and the media are taking a "we have already achieved what we wanted to achieve despite what happens Sunday" stance. Well done to the gals, but that type of thinking is the thinking of losers. I say do not be satisfied until you beat the US, and do not accept second best on your home turf.

Go Canada!

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was reading about this game in the paper this morning, and the media are taking a "we have already achieved what we wanted to achieve despite what happens Sunday" stance. Well done to the gals, but that type of thinking is the thinking of losers. I say do not be satisfied until you beat the US, and do not accept second best on your home turf.

Go Canada!

I liked how Herdman came out right away and said that wasn't their mindset at all, and they want to win this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deutschland

Jan 15, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
on another note...are these broadcasters not aware of what they're saying? or am I just too immature still?
1. "The US Women are not impenetrable" ~Brunt on Yanks Backline.
2. "She has excellent command of her box" ~Forrest on the Canadian keeper.
3. "That's what you call commanding your box" ~Forrest also on the CWNT keeper.

teehehehehee :)

Another beaut was "Looks like she got it in the face" ~ Dobson on Costa Rican player from previous game.

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I took in my first live game of women's soccer last night. My two daughters aged 6 and 5 went out of their minds.
The vision was pretty impresive from Sinlair of course but from the rest of the women as well. The bird with the long blonde ponytail Kaylyn had a lot of, er spunk.
After the game the women stayed behind and signed everything for at least 45 minutes. Very classy.

BRFC

Jan 18, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wished the game lived up to the hype and that canada put up more of a fight. S**tshow of a first 30 mins, US has three attacks and scores three goals. But they also controlled the game and kept the ball very well. Definatley shows that the diamond midfield does not work. It forces sinclair to run wide to collect balls in the channel making her wasted, when a simply winger would be able to do that job and get balls in the box for her.
That Kayln Kyle could seriously could not pass water, think she must be giving the coach some special attention as i have no idea why she plays. Why did canada change its goalkeeper? Thought the LeBlanc girl has a decent tourney and must have been gutted when she was told she was on the bench. Sad to say when a game is over after 30 mins. But such a gulf in class between the two teams. Backline is sooo slow that i,m pretty sure a guy with one leg could run quicker. Such a shame after many were hoping Canada could compete and cause an upset.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
#2 for Canada was roasted for all 3 goals. No speed or quickness.

But the biggest issue I saw was the lack of a midfield (outside of Scott who has a very bright future in that deep role she is playing). Turnover after turnover after turnover. No creativity, no confidence on the ball.

BTW, Hope Solo is easy on the eyes but can also play. And well.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know if I agree with us having a lack of midfield. If Scott, Schmidt and sinclair are in there it is pretty solid for the womens game. The problem is the USA are faster and just simply better all over the park. They put the Canadians under so much pressure, how do you prepare for that against the other four teams they faced.
Its like when teams face Barcelona, when they finally get the ball Barca closes down so fast that even Real Madrid struggles to keep possession. Some work to do for sure as more then anything it became abundantly clear that our defense can't stop someone with pace. One big thing I noticed is against top teams, France, Germany, USA, Sinclair becomes a non-factor. She is a great player but playing up top is a waste against top nations. Probably a humbling experience for the ladies.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed. Sinclair is a great attacking midfielder. We just need 1 lady that can play up front.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What I saw was being caught in possession numerous times due to hanging on too long, i.e., not knowing what the fcuk you are going to do with the ball when you receive it.

And when they didn't get caught in possession, they almost always tried to hit a long ball forward.

As for how do you prepare for the US pressure - you get better technical players in there that can play.

To be honest, I thought the same thing was apparent for Canada in previous games in this tournament.

In terms of technical skill, I don't think I'm far off in saying that Canada is 3rd in CONCACAF behind the US and Mexico.

silver fox

Jun 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're bang on with the caught in possession observation Regs!! #15 (neck tatty) wants to touch it 3 times before passing it, as well as some others. Simply can't have that from a midfielder.

The first two goals I thought were weak. The first one is just a simple flick-on, with the two centre backs getting caught square against one forward with pace. Poor positioning!!!!! On the second goal, the right back #5 had 25 yards to hustle her ass back and get goalside of Wambach, but didn't do it. A better effort and that easy header is prevented.

Hate to say it, but I don't see this current squad medaling in London.

By the way, my pet peeve is the use of "technical" to describe a player. Can't soccer be like other sports and just say he's a great player, a shitty player, or somewhere in between? Or just say he has a good head for the game. Fukc me! :)

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed Regs, I think that is pretty much Canada's problem as a nation. We don't have the class on the ball that other nations, even very small ones do. Pardon me silver fox we don't have "great players."

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was men against boys (sounds better than women against girls). Sorry for being cynical, but it was never going to be a contest. The defense was absolutely murdered but the 2nd goal was embarrassing. How the #5 (is that Gayle? She was awful) couldn't get to Wambach is inconceivable to me.
They looked scared, slow and terribly uncreative. Sinclair, while the greatest Canadian woman of all time looked average as well and if your best player looks that way, you're pretty much shagged from the get go.
I also wonder how Julian stayed on so long. The lass couldn't finish her dinner. Her first chance was a terrible first touch that gave Solo a chance and the 2nd one, while a good save, still needed to be finished.

Agree Regs on Thomas. She's a wee bull. But by far, the total class out there was Alex Morgan. Scored 2 and gave Wambach her 2. Different class altogether.
It looks to me that while Canada can smash all the teams that are barely even countries, they are just 2nd rate against the rest.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Leroux would have looked good playing off Sinclair.

Too Bad we have so many uneducated out here.

JUDAS??? C'mon people

Another CSA fumble..

Sydney Leroux and Soccer Without Borders - NYTimes.com

On a side note under the what if category:

What if Alex Morgan had boobs?

Alex Morgan Hot Photos/Images 2012 | New Sports Stars

It all starts in how are youth soccer is structured( can I say youth on this site anymore?)

We dont value nor have the sophistication to teach our players and provide a proper platform to enhance our technical shortcomings. Most of all of our sophisticated coaches choose to avoid young players (babysitting?) and be with the real football players( another mistake in judgement).

As a fifth rate sport in the US it also helps they have almost 30 million people playing football to choose their National team from.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0