Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCSPL Rule - Substitutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd be interested to know what substitution rules are used in elite youth leagues in European or South American countries.

The ones I know first hand:

Brazil (Rio League) = 5 subs, no re-entry
Portugal = 5 subs up to U15 (but only 2 subs allowed after second half starts), 3 U17 and above, no re-entry .

For whatever it's worth, first time I saw/played unlimited subs was here....

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Colin... what is your playing time policy for the freshly announced TSS Elite Women's Program?

16 dress for games. If there is more on the squad a schedule is created well in advance on who sits out. Every player will be rotated through this plan. Generally no subs till half. Everyone gets at least 1/2 game.

Clear enough?

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone know how much $$ BC soccer is using of our money to "support" this new league?
I wonder how much the leagues would think if they got the same amount of support?

The technical manual looks like Marcus was busy for a while. Then three times a year they will have data on about 1800 players to digest.

Sorry, but the vast majority of players should not be paying for this elite service. Shouldn't the clubs pay for this? (albeit the players parents).
Nothing in BC Soccer's budget was passed to support this amount of involvement.

Ah yes budgets. Here is a question some should be asking:

Fusion is paying their coaches upwards of $17,000 for season.

Some other Clubs (not all) have collected per player fees that are fairly similar to Fusion, but are only paying staff $8,000.....:confused:

"Follow the money"

Deep throat in All the Presidents Men

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
^The West Van/NorVan kids can afford to pay the coaches more I suppose :p

Tulio - thanks for that info re: Brazil and Portugal youth subs....I am glad we have started to adopt similar rules at the elite level - however, are Brazil and Portugal PAY-TO-PLAY? That will potentially cause major issues, or at least for the kids who play only 30%ish..then again, the kids that are playing that little can either be replaced or NOT as the team sees fit should that kid quit as it's usually the 17th-18th player on a squad...(or in BCPL's u17-18 group....19th or 20th player).

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
^The West Van/NorVan kids can afford to pay the coaches more I suppose :p

Tulio - thanks for that info re: Brazil and Portugal youth subs....I am glad we have started to adopt similar rules at the elite level - however, are Brazil and Portugal PAY-TO-PLAY? That will potentially cause major issues, or at least for the kids who play only 30%ish..then again, the kids that are playing that little can either be replaced or NOT as the team sees fit should that kid quit as it's usually the 17th-18th player on a squad...(or in BCPL's u17-18 group....19th or 20th player).

Bettermirror- first of all Fusion is not West Van/Norvan. That is Mountain United.

My comment was not about what Fusion coaches are getting paid really. its about the $9000 difference at OTHER Clubs who have collected fees similar to Fusion. If Fusion can afford to pay a coach an amount like that where is the $9000 per team going in the other Clubs budgets?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Perhaps for proper field usage fees, additional training instruction outside of team sessions, quality equipment, etc, etc, etc?

Perhaps the questioning should be directed towards Fusion and the wisdom in paying upwards of $17K for coaches?

I've heard Fusion in one case, has 3 teams sharing a single field for a training night, a field that only has 2 goals?

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Perhaps for proper field usage fees, additional training instruction outside of team sessions, quality equipment, etc, etc, etc?

Perhaps the questioning should be directed towards Fusion and the wisdom in paying upwards of $17K for coaches?

I've heard Fusion in one case, has 3 teams sharing a single field for a training night, a field that only has 2 goals?

Regs, we are talking upwards of 90K here per Club. Many of the other Clubs dont pay for fields at all.

One of the reasons why many of the sophisticated coaches have steered clear of this environment is because of the compensation levels. A different argument all together.

Many of the HPL Clubs have the same field issues as Fusion

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess my point is WTF is Fusion thinking paying out that much for coaches that supposedly are not the most sophisticated available?

At the end of the day though, each franchise will/should have an operating budget that differs from each other.

One franchise may choose to front-load towards coaches where another may choose to take a more measured approach, looking to build up all aspects of the business over 3, 5, 10 years.

Personally I think what people are going to see is that a few franchises really have their shite together while the others are going to be playing catchup for years to come.

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
This thread is way off topic, but duh lets do some grade 4 math. Calculators everyone please.

Fusion has 20 players per team, 2 more than most team (many more than SF) @ $2500 each: $5000 extra
Fusion charges $300/year more per player than the next expensive club MUFC. Over 18 players we have: $5400 extra

Per team Fusion has $10,400 more than the next most expensive club. Seems Fusion decided to spend the $ on coaches.

What a bunch drama queens :wa:

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bettermirror- first of all Fusion is not West Van/Norvan. That is Mountain United.

Norvan=Mountain you are right.

Re: West Van - sorry, was referring to UBC area. My mistake.

Re: Fusion paying high coach salary - Regardless....apparently those Richmond kids can buy Lambo's and race them from Richmond to Whistler so paying a soccer coach can't be much of an issue! :cool:

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
This thread is way off topic, but duh lets do some grade 4 math. Calculators everyone please.

Fusion has 20 players per team, 2 more than most team (many more than SF) @ $2500 each: $5000 extra
Fusion charges $300/year more per player than the next expensive club MUFC. Over 18 players we have: $5400 extra

Per team Fusion has $10,400 more than the next most expensive club. Seems Fusion decided to spend the $ on coaches.

Of course, I forgot about the 9 SUBSTITUTES on the Fusion teams:eek:

Have fun with that.

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sure the parents watching their child sitting on the bench, not dressed for play (due to 18 player max), will take comfort in knowing that their $2500 was optimally spent for their child's soccer development. Saves them pulling out their stop watches to measure the playing time.

Sep 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sure the parents watching their child sitting on the bench, not dressed for play (due to 18 player max), will take comfort in knowing that their $2500 was optimally spent for their child's soccer development. Saves them pulling out their stop watches to measure the playing time.

Imho, which I qualify to be that of a parent who coached at the younger levels for several years, practice time does not count as time on the ball. I want about 40% to 50% field time during the REGULAR season regardless of level of play - Gold, Metro, or HPL. If my kid was good enough to be picked by the BCSPL coach to make the team then the kid is good enough to be more than a bench warmer and practice dummy at $2500/year.

If it is CUP play... I can understand the coach benching players and I see no problem with strict substitution rules. Regular season should be about player development!

If the league wants bench warmers maybe they should have a reduced fee structure for those players.... as if! (sarcastic laugh)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

And they are all well worth it.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fusion is expecting their BCSPL coaches to coach lower level teams within their feeder structure as well, I believe...

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fusion is expecting their BCSPL coaches to coach lower level teams within their feeder structure as well, I believe...

And what exactly is their feeder structure?

Richmond Metro? Vancouver Selects? Vancouver United?

Is there additional compensation for this?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
precisely my point Colin, I suspect the higher salary number is reflective of extra-BCSPL duties... but I have no affiliation with Fusion, and am not in a position to comment definitively on any of those details...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0