Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BC Provincial Cup Draw MEN 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe

May 9, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fowler,

I have to agree that #9 for RCIU is a **** more often then not. Maybe that old saying "Better to play with him then against him" applies here?

The brand of soccer he applies game after game is a bitch to deal with, what a nightmare he is. Obviously quite fortunate to be able to play alongside the great set of lads that feature in our squad.

Maybe one day you can play against him and see it up close and personal. :)

Enjoyed the atmosphere surrounding Hampton Park on a sunny Saturday afternoon. The away support was FANTASTIC, however the peanut gallery, though big in turnout, lacked in the creativity tepartment to say the least. Poor form.

We were unlucky not to go ahead in the opening minutes after a shot from the top of the box went off the inside of the post but came straight back out. A goal that early changes the game entirely and the longer it went on, after being zero's at the half, you knew it was going to be first to score was going to take it. Give away a cheap free kick and it gets buried. At that point its everyone forward and get caught out for a 2nd with no time left on the clock. All in all a well fought out game, good luck the rest of the way.

BTW, was amazed at the amount of moaning coming from the Gorge players during the game after every challenge, my ears hurt ;)

Guess now they know a 10% chance aint so bad :D

Ship it

A different take. All the players were moaning. Ref was consistent but tight as all hell. The first 15 minutes you couldnt even look at the other players...and what about not walking off the yards on a free kick..first time I have ever seen a Ref walk away and throw his hands up as if to say who really cares.It was very strange for a veteran ref......yet he called the game the same way through out. He never effected the outcome...As for the goal post shot yes I think it would have changed the game the same way your keeper made several amazing saves and kept it close..what a keeper!!!!! player of the game in my book....Gorge Prez

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Where and at what time are the Semis?

The semis are as follows (I am going to cut and paste a bit here for the benefit for Masters Players, so please bear with me):

Open Division Mens:

Metro Ford vs West Van FC A. South Surrey Athletic Park #7, Saturday, May 9, 4 PM.

Bays United vs Gorge. TBA.

Masters Division Mens:

West Van FC M vs Westside. South Surrey Athletic Park #8, Saturday, May 9, 2 PM.

Columbus vs UVIC Alumni. South Surrey Athletic Park #8, Saturday, May 9, 4 PM.

Sir M.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gorge vs Bays United in VICTORIA

This is absolute bush league and should never be allowed. Hopefully someone at BC soccer with an ounce of sense (not very likely) will make this game go ahead in South Surrey.

If Gorge and Bays United do not come over to the mainland to play their BC semi finals, then all of the lower mainland teams in the past that have had to travel to Van Island for their game is a joke and mockery of what the Provincial Cup is all about. Why would they want to join a BC Premier Division for 2010/11? Unless all of their games were being played at home?

Peace Arch Soccer Club is trying to put together a first class event for what?

We may as well host it on Friday night or Sunday afternoon at Van Tech!

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Have they announced the 2 Island teams dont have to come over to the mainland to play the Semis???

If so,,your going to hate me ,,,but I understand. The way things are now a days. It makes $en$e.
PAU always are great hosts. And would have made a great day of it for sure. But you cant get mad at these guys for wanting to save some dough right now.
We just went there and it cost us $850 plus meals and gas.
Sorry but I say its the right thing to do.
No offence as I know you guys were planning a bash.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
...and what about not walking off the yards on a free kick..first time I have ever seen a Ref walk away and throw his hands up as if to say who really cares.It was very strange for a veteran ref......yet he called the game the same way through out. He never effected the outcome...
Joe,

I too thought it was interesting that he didnt pace off the 10 yards when requested. On your goal... your player was begging the ref to count the yards... our guys relaxed... then your player (sharp guy) took the kick quickly during the confusion and you got the winner on a header from a pinged cross. The goalscorer was being marked by our #1 guy for winning headers, and I dont think you won a single high ball in our box all day other than that one. It was a well taken goal, but probably wouldn't have happened if the ref actually blew the whistle, paced off the 10 yards, and restarted play.

And, no... I am not having a moan. The officials were very consistent and did well. We should've realized he wasnt going to pace the 10 yards off... as he hadnt all day.

And... if Guinness' moan is accurate (and yes, the little facker does moan a lot)... this is not proper. I am sure the FVSL / PAU have been putting a lot of effort into getting this organized... and past events at SSA have included a great beer garden and an exciting atmosphere. It would be a real shame if the game was played on the island.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If so,,your going to hate me ,,,but I understand. The way things are now a days. It makes $en$e.

Ghouse,

it has always made $en$e:rolleyes: to have to two mainland teams playing a semi-final on the mainland, but the powers that be would never change it.
This may be the first time two Island teams are playing against each other in a semi and the first thing they do is re-locate it?

Weak. especially because precendent was set a long time ago.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys, isn't this a step forward? In the past we used to always have to travel and we compained about it but that was the way it was and all the grousing was for naught. Now there's a precedent for staying local if both participating teams are from the same area...sounds like progress to me.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
True enough, But still we are in hard times right now and I understand this decision.
Im from Ktown so I understand the travel concept as well as anyone. The Island guys ,even when playing in their own league must travel hours to games every weekend.Comox to Victoria is 3 hours. Hell, The Island just went to Kamloops for a game.
I understand PAU was planning to put on a show. But really guys.2 Island teams to the Mainland for a Semi final is a waist of money. If precedence was set long ago, They were wrong to make that decision long ago..And now you wont have to have 2 Mainland teams go to the Island for a game against each other unless its a final. I for one am glad to know I wont be waisting money in the future.

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Every year BC Soccer ask a league to host the semi's and finals and in the valley we book are own feilds for the first 3 rounds, so for the semis we asked Peace Arch to help out and arrange the day. Peace Arch as always are doing a good job of making everything first class on the day.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, but what about all the mainland teams that "wasted" money in the past? How fair is it that the very first time 2 Island teams play in the semi's BCSA says "well, have it your way and stay home". Bush league, even though it does make $ sense.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ideal situation would be to have the provincials take place over 2 weekends.

Week 1:
All games at same venue
Saturday - Round of 16 games
Sunday - Quarterfinals

Week 2:
All games at same venue
Saturday - semifinals
Sunday - final

What does this solve? Travel becomes a moot point. Way more people will come out and these 2 weekends will become an 'event'. It preps teams for the Nationals by playing 4 games in 8 days. It allows leagues to extend their winter breaks since provincials don't have to start until the last week of April or first week of May (this will become a moot point once BC Soccer changes Senior A to a summer schedule).

oh you didnt know

Mar 26, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
have a wah stallion, you probably are that guy in your picture. As said before since the 2 island teams aren't having to travel this year im sure the next few years if 2 Mainland teams make semis that are set in Victoria they wont have to travel... Get it?

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
have a wah stallion, you probably are that guy in your picture. As said before since the 2 island teams aren't having to travel this year im sure the next few years if 2 Mainland teams make semis that are set in Victoria they wont have to travel... Get it?

Is it because the Island teams had a whine that they had the schedule changed in their favour? I'm sure from now on the mainland teams won't have to travel, but for the last how many years when the Island wasn't good enough to have 2 semi-finalists did the mainland HAVE to go to the Island to play another mainland team?

dr_bartsy

Apr 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the games should be played on the mainland. It's terrible that the games are scheduled for the island. I have always enjoyed the atmosphere of the semis at the same local. Secondly, now there will be a an island ref....which really is gonna suck!!!

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
PROVINCE CUP – QUARTER-FINALS

2009-04-27

Two VMSL teams—West Van FC and the Coquitlam Metro-Ford Wolves—advanced to the semi-finals of the Province Cup by virtue of their almost identical 2-0 victories over the Surrey United Firefighters and Croatia SC respectively. The two VMSL teams will face each other on May 9 at South Surrey Athletic Park, guaranteeing the VMSL a spot in the Cup final—slated for Saturday, May 16 at Percy Perry Stadium in Coquitlam.

WEST VAN FC – SURREY UNITED FIREFIGHTERS 2-0: On Saturday evening, the newly-crowned VMSL Premier Division champions—and Imperial Cup champions—took on the visiting Surrey United Firemen at Ambleside Park in West Vancouver. After a hard-fought 90 minutes of non-stop action the treble-seeking West Van FC came away with a well-earned 2-0 victory. The home team got off to a great start and almost took the lead on two separate occasions very early in the match. However, a couple of brilliant saves on the part of Surrey United goalkeeper—Paul Shepherd—kept the former Trollers off the scoreboard. On the first attempt, West Van’s Ryan Glanville raced in all alone on a breakaway, only to have Shepherd pull off a fantastic save. Shortly thereafter, Desmond Tachie’s close-range shot was once again saved by Shepherd in phenomenal fashion. Near the end of the first half, Shepherd once again rose to the occasion as he miraculously prevented Milad Rahmati from scoring what appeared to be a sure goal. As a result, the first half ended scoreless, mostly due to the superlative efforts of goalkeeper Paul Shepherd. Early in the second half, Surrey United was awarded a penalty kick when defender West Van’s defender Trevor Short was caught pulling Niall Thompson’s jersey inside the penalty area. On the ensuing penalty kick, goalkeeper Marco Durante pulled off a great save as he thwarted Josh Bennett’s attempt to give his team the lead. The game remained scoreless until the late stages when Milad Rahmati curled a brilliant long-range shot past the outstretched fingers of Paul Shepherd into the top corner of the net for what proved to be the winning goal. Shortly thereafter, West Van added insult to Surrey United’s injury as young Robbie Giezen finished off a clever give-and-go with Milad Rahmati by blasting a rocket of a shot into the net to solidify the well-deserved victory. The entire West Van FC backline—composed of Leo Nash, Trevor Short, Paul Dailly, and Drew Gelley—played extremely well throughout the match, while veteran Nico Berg was his usual energetic and vigorous self in his central midfield position. The VMSL champions will now take on the Metro-Ford Wolves in the semi-finals of the Province Cup in what promises to be a cracker of a game!

GORGE FC – RCIU LEGENDS 2-0: Also on Saturday, at Hampton Park in Victoria, the Legends dropped a heart-breaking 2-0 decision to the defending Province Cup champions. Despite playing quite well for the entire match, the Richmond lads surrendered two late goals and were thus eliminated from the Province Cup competition. The Legends nearly took the lead early in the game when a great shot by Justin Student bounced off the inside of the post with the Victoria goalkeeper well-beaten. Brad Caldwell and Darren Prentice also had excellent chances to give their team the lead but were also stymied by the Gorge FC goalkeeper. The early part of the second half was more or less a repeat of the first, as the Legends—led by the fine play of midfielders Craig McMillan and Geoff Salt—continued to dominate proceedings. As luck would have it, however, it was Gorge FC that took the lead midway through the second half as Paul van den Booman headed home what proved to be the winning goal. Near the end of the match, with the Legends desperately pushing forward in search of the equalizer, Jordie Hughes added the insurance marker on a counter-attack breakaway. Despite the loss, the Legends should be congratulated for the fine effort! Gorge FC will now take on Bays United in the semi-finals of the Province Cup.

CROATIA SC - METRO-FORD WOLVES 0-2: On Sunday, at Burnaby Lake West Complex, the Coquitlam Metro-Ford Wolves defeated Croatia SC by a 2-0 margin, in front of a large and enthusiastic crowd. The Croatians came out of the starting blocks with a vengeance and exerted a lot of pressure on the Wolves for the first 15 minutes of action. However, some excellent defending by Coquitlam’s Matthew Besuschko, Kingsley Jones, and in particular Brook Scott, kept the vaunted Croatia attack at bay. About half way through the first half, the Wolves started gaining their composure, scored two excellent goals, and took over the reins of the match. On the first goal, former Whitecap Alfredo Valente tapped in an excellent cross by Omari Aldridge from close range after his own shot had been brilliantly saved by goalkeeper Didar Sandhu. Shortly thereafter, Kingsley Jones scored Metro-Ford’s second goal of the contest on a brilliant header off an excellent free kick by Valente after Aldridge had been fouled just outside the corner of the penalty area. Early in the second half, the Wolves came very close to adding to their lead, but some outstanding goalkeeping on the part of former Whitecap Didar Sandhu—twice on shots by Valente and once on a breakaway attempt by young Reece Miles—kept the score respectable. With about 20 minutes to go in the match, Metro-Ford’s captain—Andrew Veer—was ejected from the match for a serious foul play infraction and the Croatians tried valiantly to get back into the match by attacking in droves. Once again, however, the Coquitlam defence—as well as goalkeeper Mathew Bird—stood tall and held the home team off the score sheet. In particular, Bird made a sensational save on a powerful drive by Johnny Sulentic—yet another former Whitecap playing in the VMSL. Mario Jelic and Gary Anderson also came close to scoring for the Croatians but watched agonizingly as their shots sailed wide of the mark. It should be noted that Coquitlam Metro-Ford’s midfielders Richard Price, Andrew Veer, and Emilio Bottiglieri worked tirelessly throughout the match and were instrumental in their team’s well-deserved victory. The Wolves will now face the red-hot West Van FC in the semi-finals of the Province Cup. The match will be played on Saturday, May 9 at South Surrey Athletic Park.

TEAM OF THE WEEK: WEST VAN FC for its patented performance in defeating the always tough Surrey United Firefighters by a well-deserved 2-0 margin. Led by the excellent defensive work of Leo Nash, Trevor Short, Drew Gelley, and Paul Dailly, the former Trollers held the aggressive and tenacious Surrey team at bay for the entire 90 minutes. As well, the excellent performances of midfielder Nico Berg and forward Milad Rahmati played an enormous part in West Van’s successful outing.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Coquitlam Metro-Ford’s defender BROOK SCOTT for his virtually flawless effort in leading his team to a clear-cut 2-0 victory over Croatia SC. Facing a very talented and dangerous Croatian forward line—led by former Whitecap Johnny Sulentic—Brook Scott was able to lead his backline in thwarting the numerous and dangerous Croatian attacks. Not only did Scott demonstrate excellent defensive skills but he also displayed remarkable leadership qualities. For his excellent performance this past weekend, Brook Scott will receive a prize of a pizza for two, compliments of THE GOLDEN BOOT CAFFE`. The prize is available up to 2009-05-07.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0