Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Apple iOS5

gt5

Feb 24, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did it give you the option to restore backed up data?

I had my phone restored to its previous state but with that it doesn't replace your apps and I'll be re-downlaod those. My music and ringstons all came back.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have 32GB touch and it has, sorry, had until the upgrade, roughly 4000 songs, and about 12 apps with about 1/3 of the space left on it.
I use it for music in my truck so i like to have as much music as possible with me.
8GB is i believe around 2000 songs

I'd go as big as you can afford. Nothing worse than running out of space.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was just an iPod Touch not a phone, and it said it was doing a backup, and a restore but not sure what it did of either.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd say go for it, i haven't heard of any major issues from anyone else.

~ your friendly BB user. ;)

PS: I haven't had BBM or WhatsApp for 2 days now. Can someone tell me how to make phonecalls on this thing? Can't remember.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda:

Was your iCritter jailbroken? Only issue because iTunes doesn't recognize jailbroken apps when you run upgrades. Highly recommend that whether you have an iPhone or an Android to make your contacts and calendars platform-independent by using Gmail or a similar product - it took me all of 30 seconds to have over 300 contacts available when I had to switch from my company iPhone to a personal Android.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trece it was not. It's seems to be an iTouch issue rather than an iPhone issue from what I've heard. It's no biggy. Juts have to recreate my library in iTunes and recreate playlists and reset up my songs to sync. shite, it is a lot actually.
However all purchased songs and apps are still there from thecloud do I just had to reinstall

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So I decided to finally go unlocked with the 4S, 16GB after 3 years with the 3G. I still have 2 years on a decent data plan with Rogers but cringed at the $269 + $50 +/- $50 you might get back + $35 admin fee + lock in for 3 more years with Rogers plan. I'm out. Wife's contract (non data) runs out next month and making the switch to one of the $25 unlimited plans for her. Feels pretty good.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luch or anyone,

What are the options these days for air/data plans with an unlocked phone? I'm paying $90/month right now with Fido - contract is up in January, there must be better options, no?

Cheers,

Regs.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luch or anyone,

What are the options these days for air/data plans with an unlocked phone? I'm paying $90/month right now with Fido - contract is up in January, there must be better options, no?

Cheers,

Regs.

Perfect timing for the "I'm switching carriers call..."

See here...
[Elect] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

I'm paying about $65/month

350 minutes
6GB Data
Evenings after 6
Rogers to Rogers
Mailbox etc

Not bad for now...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
$40/month unlimited everything (voice minutes, text, data). The caveat? It's with Wind, using an Android phone, which I had to pay for up front. Depending on the type of phone you have, it can be used with one of their SIM cards, but they don't have any iPhone support yet.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
$40/month unlimited everything (voice minutes, text, data). The caveat? It's with Wind, using an Android phone, which I had to pay for up front. Depending on the type of phone you have, it can be used with one of their SIM cards, but they don't have any iPhone support yet.

How's the reception with Wind? They are one of the carriers with the unlimited plans I'm looking at for the wife.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I get the temptation for looking at a Wind, mobilicity etc...but do you really want service outages when you roam and or receive massive bills when you go outside of their urban hot spots?

I'm always a proponent of sticking with one of the big 3... I've heard too many horror stories associated with the little guys trying to take a bite out of the big 3 market share.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I get the temptation for looking at a Wind, mobilicity etc...but do you really want service outages when you roam and or receive massive bills when you go outside of their urban hot spots?

I'm always a proponent of sticking with one of the big 3... I've heard too many horror stories associated with the little guys trying to take a bite out of the big 3 market share.

I hear ya, but it's because of the little guys now that we have more bargaining power with retentions.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh absolutely, however the Big 3 also will drop their proverbial panties if you have any levers to pull at all pitting the three of them against each other. Any time I've tried Telus Loyalty and threatened with rates advertized by Wind or any other advertized stuff outside the big 3, they essentially tell me to walk as it's like comparing apples to giraffes.

it's like saying to the BMW dealer that you can lease a Ford Fusion for $300 a month and you want them to come down from $600 per month... that might work if you were comparing them to Audi or Benz...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not a booster by any means; just looked at how I used my previous phones, and shopped accordingly. I don't make a lot of calls out of town because I'm normally on vacation when I am, and my phone is primarily a work/footy tool. The price was right. Long distance while roaming works out to about $0.45/min. I've dealt previously with all of the big 3 on a corporate basis, and been completely unimpressed by all of them.

Luch: reception depends on what part of town you're in. Wind's local coverage area has grown since it was first introduced but if you get outside Surrey, the Haney part of the Ridge, or past Horseshoe Bay, you're in roaming territory. There are also still some holes in their system near the Fraser River (not enough towers near the Big Bend/Queensborough/Annacis area), but overall it's been reasonable.

Roaming with Wind is tied to an agreement with Bell, whose towers they use/rent outside their urban centres. Interesting trend is that they're following Bell's example with a plan for no roaming in their coverage areas (again with Wind, only in places where they have an urban presence), so I'm hoping this pushes the other carriers in the same direction.

If you're looking for a new phone for Mrs. Luch, they do have some higher-end Androids (which were a bit out of my price range at the time) and a selection of Blackberries, but as is normal in Canada, we don't get the full choice of phone models from any manufacturer because "we don't have the market size."

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
it's like saying to the BMW dealer that you can lease a Ford Fusion for $300 a month and you want them to come down from $600 per month... that might work if you were comparing them to Audi or Benz...
Hey, I love our Ford Fusion, awesome car! :)

Regarding Android devices... hmmmm... I actually just bought an Asus EEE Transformer on the weekend, very cool device but the apps seem to be on the "thin" side right now :confused:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0