Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Apple iOS5

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Telus and shaw settings.

Since this is the closest thing to an ongoing thread on this topic I'll post my question here.

I have an iPhone 4S with Telus plan.
I have Shaw Wireless at home.

My issue is that when I am connected to my home wireless (shaw), I can't send out emails. I have to turn off the wifi and send by 3G to have the emails go out.

Incoming works fine.

Anyone have the same setup and have it working that can share their settings with me. It's a bit frustrating having to flip back and forth.

And no i won't switch phones, cell companies, or Internet providers so don't bother posting those options.

I'd call Telus/Shaw for help but I know the TTP members here are waaaay smarter.

Thanks in advance

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In the properties of the Telus mail account on your phone, there should be some advanced settings. The one you want go locate is use authentication when sending. In those fields, add your telus mail credentials again.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's your outgoing mail server set-up on the phone.

Go into the SMTP settings for the email account and ADD NEW SERVER - put in your SHAW account settings, i.e., mail.shaw.ca (this recently changed) with your shaw user name and password

Once this is done correctly, if the primary server fails, it will go through the additional ones set-up.

I think.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BF, tried that, didn't work.

Regs, that's what I thought. Tried those settings with various shaw servers but nada.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do you have a gmail account?

If so, try using the gmail server settings as a secondary server.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also, FYI, I think shaw has discontinued all the various "location" servers they had and you need to use the new mail.shaw.ca (I found that one out the hard way 2 weeks ago when all email here in the office stopped sending... nice notification system they have for business users :rolleyes: )

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs - the only notification given is that they posted it on their support site, unless you've spoken to their techs... let me know if you run into anything like that again.

Yoda - does it give you an error message at all? Assuming that you are trying to use Shaw email on your phone, both your incoming and outgoing servers should be set to the address that Regs gave. There are a couple of things you could check:

1. Dumb thing I know, but make sure your mailbox isn't full.
  2. Have you ever been able to send out messages in this (or another phone) from your Shaw account before? If not, there is a pre-config step you need to go through in your Shaw account settings to strengthen your password. You may have already done this.
  3. Sometimes you may run into a condition where the email client is trying to authenticate itself on both servers (incoming and outgoing); you may have to "pop" the client first before it will allow mail to be sent out. Basically this means that authentication with the POP3 (incoming) server needs to be sorted before outgoing mail is acceptable to be sent.
  4. I did have a similar experience with Bell iPhones - essentially all the previous steps had been gone through, the account settings were properly configured according to Shaw, and it still didn't work. What did was cycling WiFi off and then back on - it reconnected the phone and email started flowing again.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359334678.575115.jpg

All above suggestions OK except the password security item.

I there a different port than 25 I can try/use?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't access that account. She changed the password and access privileges to that account again. ;)

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yoda, check this out...

Common Issues
  • Security Requirements for Mobile Access: If after setting up your email client you find that you are still unable to send or receive emails from your iPhone/iPad, please ensure that your password meets the minimum security requirements required for mobile access. If your password does not meet these requirements then mail setup will not work. In some situations, your password will work on other devices in the household but may still fail on your smart phone/tablet because of the additional restrictions required to use Shaw Webmail on your mobile device.

In this case you may have to change your password to meet the security requirements (seen below) and then update this password in any other household devices and programs where it may be saved (for example: Mac Mail, Outlook, Windows Live Mail, smart phone, tablet). Once updated you can proceed to setup your email client again with your new password.

• Mobile Access Security Requirements
    • a minimum of 6 characters
    • at least 1 upper-case letter
    • at least 1 lower-case letter
    • a special character (e.g. ~!@#$%^&*() )
    • a number
    • all of the above requirements must be met within the first 8 characters of the password

To sort this, access your Shaw webmail account on a computer, and click on Preferences, and then on Mobile Devices (this is assuming that you have upgraded to Shaw Webmail 2.0). There is a link back to the stuff I just quoted, and a box to allow you to change your password to suit these requirements. Let us know if Mrs. Yoda lets you back in to that account. I'd also suggest that you stop wearing her shorts again...

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, so nada again.

I sifted through the Shaw Customer Service Centre support articles etc. Set all the settings.
Logged into Webmail and did the "Check" on my password security to be sure my new password is suffice for it

Nothing seems to work.

However, it appears all the settings take OK, but i noticed that the error message i get, when i send an email, says that "the recipient *email address*, was rejected by the server because the user is unknown."

This is pissing me off.

And yes i tried putting my own shorts on. Didn't help.
Should i take off her thong too?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, i googled the issue and came across something to try that works but it's just a stupid as having to turn off wifi.
If i disable the Telus Mobile smtp server, it will send out the Shaw server, with above configuration, no problem.

So apparently i either toggle wifi on/off or toggle outgoing servers on/off to get it to work. WTF?

There has to be a better way!!!!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But it makes me run faster! Honest!
And it's distracting to the other team, throws them off their game.

Now off my undies and back to my problem. FIX IT!!!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay, don't get her knickers in a twist...

Just out of curiosity, have you tried sending stuff to any other (known) addresses? Goofier things have been known to happen. You shouldn't need to turn off Telus' SMTP to send out. Also, did you set up your Shaw account as an Exchange client? That's their recommended configuration.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shaw's smtp servers don't relay emails through the default port 25 to make it difficult for mass spammers.
Just change the port in your smtp configuration to 2525 and you should be OK.

PS: You could try putting in port 587 instead if 2525 does not work. One of the two probably will.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks TM, I tried 587 which I found out in one of the setup pages, but it didn't work. I'll try 2525

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0