Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2022 WC Qualifying

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
If I am not mistaken Canada will finish first now even if they lose Wed assuming the goal difference holds up?

They would be on 28 points and potentially tied with Mexico or usa for first but we would win out on GD I am assuming.

Although the yanks have cut that GD to 4 but have a tough game vs Costa Rica.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’m exhausted. That was unreal.
Ryan Reynolds Want GIF

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Herdman and the players qualified in style and will do better than our last entrant.
The successful canadian team will boost MLS. We no longer have to listen to people from other countries tell us how crappy we are because its no longer true.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Herdman and the players qualified in style and will do better than our last entrant.
The successful canadian team will boost MLS. We no longer have to listen to people from other countries tell us how crappy we are because its no longer true.

Finally we have Herdman who has a clue. The shyte leadership before was a crock.
We always had the players, but the players selected were shyte.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Finally we have Herdman who has a clue. The shyte leadership before was a crock.
We always had the players, but the players selected were shyte.
Don’t know if I’d go so far as shite but get the sentiment. Our leadership and investment into the program was terrible. Players were treated cheaply, and never really given a chance to gel. Program is entirely different now and hopefully we break the bank to keep the Ted Talks on board another 9 years.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You have to give credit to Herdman and his staff.

The players have bought in and are very committed.
We have our best players playing for us.
That says a lot about the tone at the top.

I have to admit I doubted the hiring but have been proven very wrong.

I also give credit to Steve Reed and the Board at the time being bold and buying into the manager which was deemed by a whole lot of us to be a very risky and questionable move.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You have to give credit to Herdman and his staff.

The players have bought in and are very committed.
We have our best players playing for us.
That says a lot about the tone at the top.

I have to admit I doubted the hiring but have been proven very wrong.

I also give credit to Steve Reed and the Board at the time being bold and buying into the manager which was deemed by a whole lot of us to be a very risky and questionable move.

Bingo. All of it.

Boys, my voice box is DESTROYED. I woke up this morning feeling completely spent, and I didn't have a drop of booze yesterday. I thought Edmonton was the best ever sporting experience I'd ever had, yesterday was off the hook, unbelievable. One of my best mates from TO was with me, and he's an EPL snob, regularly makes trips over the pond to catch United; Champions League, you name it. Said yesterday trumped all of his experiences supporting United in person. It was that good.

If I don't make it to Qatar, I'm so chuffed to have had yesterday in person. Literally witnessed a dream come true I seriously doubted would ever happen.

And, I wasn't crying, you were crying. Who bring onions to a football match? Cnuts and their onions.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't believe how wrong a lot of you fcukers were back then... I almost shut down TTP at the time, I was so disgusted to be associated with your views.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't believe how wrong a lot of you fcukers were back then... I almost shut down TTP at the time, I was so disgusted to be associated with your views.

Ouch. That's a lot of steaming Hurds being flung.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Some gold in there. lol
I didn't hate on it as much back then as I thought I would have. haha

@Gurps ahahahaha
How is HerdWoman gonna prepare them for the games in Central America?

Line them up on East Hastings and have strangers come by and throw piss jugs and batteries at them while they stand there with a fan blowing out heat on a rainy summer day?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look, credit to Herdman and the players, absolutely. A couple of brake pumps though - one, without Davies and David we may be having a very different conversation. I don't think any coach that's being honest would say "I made that" - there's a class to those two that is just pure talent and I'm sorry but I'm not going to pat the CSA on the back for their existence.

The other thing is that the CSA has been quietly eviscerating the districts and grassroots stuff at the youth level, in favour of streamlining kids at younger and younger ages, and moving to an academy / paid coaching focus. I don't know that filtering out the numbers is the path to long-term sustainability. Yes, the success of the team should do wonders for interest in the game, and maybe that makes up for what I just referenced. I'm just saying... let's not go too far in our praise of the CSA...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look, credit to Herdman and the players, absolutely. A couple of brake pumps though - one, without Davies and David we may be having a very different conversation. I don't think any coach that's being honest would say "I made that" - there's a class to those two that is just pure talent and I'm sorry but I'm not going to pat the CSA on the back for their existence.

The other thing is that the CSA has been quietly eviscerating the districts and grassroots stuff at the youth level, in favour of streamlining kids at younger and younger ages, and moving to an academy / paid coaching focus. I don't know that filtering out the numbers is the path to long-term sustainability. Yes, the success of the team should do wonders for interest in the game, and maybe that makes up for what I just referenced. I'm just saying... let's not go too far in our praise of the CSA...
episode 17 GIF

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ill admit Herdman proved me wrong.

But lets be real here lots of talent came on board after the fact.

Take out tajon and staq and laryea and david and see where we would be.

Those players combined with herdmans leadership and tactial knowledge got us thru.

Without those guys joining and instead playing for usa(david) portugal(staq) and tajon and laryea being picked up by mls teams then being scouted for Canada we would not be where we are. Laryea was struggling and his path changed once TFC got a hold of him and he excelled and then got a call up.

Last edited:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

We have a massively broken pathway. IMO, every year, "Select" team players, meaning Div. 2 and higher all the way to BCPL, need to be cut. There then needs to be scheduled, proper trials for the club that hands over evaluation to the staff coaches. No names, only clipboards and numbers. in a 1 week period hold 4 sessions, and have the staff select the squads. Coaches are then assigned to the appropriate team. I.e.: if Dude is coaching 1st div, but Mini Dude needs to be playing 2nd div, then Dude goes and coaches 2nd div.

Right now, the system hands ALL the power to the parent coaches for all squads under BCPL. Rarely do coaches relegate. It did happen when we were kids, at least in the wonderful word of Coquitlam, but now it doesn't.

And, subsidize BCPL fees, FFS.

Back to who gets credit, sorry @mtkb , not entirely biting. On one hand, absolutely, those two players attract others as well, but so much more needs to fall into place structurally for the program to succeed, and one could argue Herdman left no stone unturned in player selection, and all the administrative functions surrounding the squad.

CSA? maybe they get credit for hiring the guy, then getting out of the way.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude - I'm actually fine with giving Herdman a lot of credit - for him I was just pointing out that he also had a lot more talent than his predecessors. But yes, he's done a lot right and good on him.

Re BCSPL fees - who is going to subsidize them? It isn't going to be the (lower) grassroots players, that's for sure. They need to come down - I've ranted on here years ago about the Burnaby Selects model and how well it worked so I won't repeat now - but it's easier said than done.

And yeah, I wouldn't even give the CSA that much credit. Hiring Herdman at that point was like being at the bar for last call and a 6 or a 7 slides up and asks how you're doing... come on...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude - I'm actually fine with giving Herdman a lot of credit - for him I was just pointing out that he also had a lot more talent than his predecessors. But yes, he's done a lot right and good on him.

Re BCSPL fees - who is going to subsidize them? It isn't going to be the (lower) grassroots players, that's for sure. They need to come down - I've ranted on here years ago about the Burnaby Selects model and how well it worked so I won't repeat now - but it's easier said than done.

And yeah, I wouldn't even give the CSA that much credit. Hiring Herdman at that point was like being at the bar for last call and a 6 or a 7 slides up and asks how you're doing... come on...
I'd suggest if CSA is seeing a cash windfall, inject money back into grassroots in order to subsidize fees at the elite levels. The WC qualification also means corporate Canada will be taking notice. I've said it before and will repeat till blue in the face: we can't follow the hockey model. That doesn't work. Look at the baseball model, that does.

Michael

Jan 25, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is grassroots across Canada the issue or just BC Soccer? IMHO the shyte that goes on here (in BC) and more specifically the lower mainland is the issue. There is no representation from BC on the CMNT.

Davies doesn't really count as he was here as part of the Whitecaps program, not one that developed through the youth program of BC Soccer.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0