Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2022 WC Qualifying

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ill admit Herdman proved me wrong.

But lets be real here lots of talent came on board after the fact.

Take out tajon and staq and laryea and david and see where we would be.

Those players combined with herdmans leadership and tactial knowledge got us thru.

Without those guys joining and instead playing for usa(david) portugal(staq) and tajon and laryea being picked up by mls teams then being scouted for Canada we would not be where we are. Laryea was struggling and his path changed once TFC got a hold of him and he excelled and then got a call up.
We did have a decent 2017 Gold Cup without those players but of course they have pushed us to another level. Just saying there were some good things building up there. Gotta think Herdman had a part in convincing some of these players to choose Canada too.

What are our odds of winning the World Cup? I'll put down a hundo or two! haha

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is grassroots across Canada the issue or just BC Soccer? IMHO the shyte that goes on here (in BC) and more specifically the lower mainland is the issue. There is no representation from BC on the CMNT.

Davies doesn't really count as he was here as part of the Whitecaps program, not one that developed through the youth program of BC Soccer.
I read an article in the weekend globe about how Brampton has like six players on the CMNT alone. Surprise, surprise... low income area but a shite ton of immigrants who happen to know and love soccer. It ain't rocket science, and it's got far less to do with the coaches and the administrators than most of those people would like to believe. The best we can do for a young Davies (who I also give extremely limited to the Caps for "developing") is guidance on the margins and then leave them the canvas to paint in their own unique way.

I don't know what Ontario does re fees etc with their grassroots programming, but there's a much bigger issue in BC. Everyone has bought into the idea that the best and brightest need to be shuffled off to the Whitecaps residency ASAP. How many kids have come through that program, start to finish, and turned into anything remotely useful? The main problem in BC is the complete incompetence of the Whitecaps at developing young talent - full stop.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
We did have a decent 2017 Gold Cup without those players but of course they have pushed us to another level. Just saying there were some good things building up there. Gotta think Herdman had a part in convincing some of these players to choose Canada too.

What are our odds of winning the World Cup? I'll put down a hundo or two! haha
It's was 100 to 1 right after the weekend victory, for some reason it's now 200 to 1...

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Without getting into too much youth soccer politics on here but here is a funny story...

Cliff ave united would not move my nephew up to div 1 At age 13.

He wanted to stay at the club and play with friends. He was fine with div 1.The technical director said he was div 2 player based on the assements from the parent coaches over the years. Flat out would not give him a look.

He said forgot this loyalty and went out and tried for a SPL team as well as Burnaby Metro and made both teams. Being the smart kid he is he went metro as he knew he would get a lot of playing time.

You have parents who have never kicked a ball in their life doing assesments and placements for kids into select or house. Good luck ever getting out once you are placed on a team.

Many of these parents just write up good assesments for their own kids and friends kids and make sure they get a select spot.

I wonder how many kids have been left behind due to this?

Why do clubs not run proper assesments? Too lazy? Dont care? Cliff for sure doesnt care and its all about fees for them not developing kids.

Maybe in ontario the system is better is why no bc kids really make it thru.
Yes the population is bigger there but we have year round outdoor soccer.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
POT 3 UPDATE:
For Pot 3, Canada needs to pass two teams.

Canada needs 2 of these 5.001 possibilities:

Tunisia draw or loss.
Nigeria knocked out!
Morocco knocked out!
Egypt loss to Senegal by one goal, but advance on away goals.
Portugal knocked out!
Costa Rica beat USA by 6.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Please give us this draw

Group A
qa.png
Qatar
nl.png
Netherlands
ca.png
Canada
ec.png
Ecuador
Avg. Ranking 1511

Last edited:

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lots of interesting debate on whether Pot 3 or Pot 4 is actually the "weaker" pot based the teams that will be in them.

The appeal for Pot 3 is if you are hoping to draw Qatar from Pot 1, then you have a 1 in 5 shot of getting them if you are in Pot 3 given there are three other AFC teams in that pot who cannot play Qatar in the group.

While Qatar is obviously the weakest team on paper in Pot 1, hosts traditionally do very well at their own World Cup (again being automatically in Pot 1 helps - but South Africa is the only host nation in the history of the World Cup not to advance at their own tournament).

Personally, the only team I really want to avoid from Pot 1 is Brazil. I would not be keen on France either, but the others, I think Canada can give them a game. Obviously Canada would be underdogs, but our offense can cause teams problems and England, Belgium, Argentina and Portugal all have a history of the occasional off game. Spain is a wild card in my opinion.

For me, the entire tournament comes down to who we get out of Pot 2. Hopefully not Germany. Ideally not Croatia either. Uruguay and Holland are annoying, but I would take them over the other two, plus Uruguay here means no chance of getting Ecuador out of Pot 4 if we are in Pot 3. Switzerland or Denmark would be ideal.

If we end up staying in Pot 4, the only team I would be worried about in Pot 3 is Poland. Lewandowski against our defense is not something I am keen on at all. If we climb into Pot 3, as mentioned, I am not keen on Ecuador because, like Canada, I think they are much better than their ranking.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also curious to see what the rules are for the playoff teams. Obviously the UEFA one gets treated as a UEFA team so it cannot end up in any group that already has two UEFA teams.

But will they put the other two playoff sides in any group (ie Canada could play Costa Rica if we are in Pot 3 and they end up winning)? Or will FIFA say the CONCACAF/OCEANIA winner cannot be drawn into a group with a CONCACAF team already and the CONMEBOL/AFC winner cannot play in a group with a team from their federation?

The UEFA and CONCACAF ones are easy enough, but the CONMEBOL/AFC TBD could get tricky if its drawn late...

Presumably they have to have the same rules for both the CONCACAF/OCEANIA winner and the CONMEBOL/AFC winner though, no?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Without getting into too much youth soccer politics on here but here is a funny story...

Cliff ave united would not move my nephew up to div 1 At age 13.

He wanted to stay at the club and play with friends. He was fine with div 1.The technical director said he was div 2 player based on the assements from the parent coaches over the years. Flat out would not give him a look.

He said forgot this loyalty and went out and tried for a SPL team as well as Burnaby Metro and made both teams. Being the smart kid he is he went metro as he knew he would get a lot of playing time.

You have parents who have never kicked a ball in their life doing assesments and placements for kids into select or house. Good luck ever getting out once you are placed on a team.

Many of these parents just write up good assesments for their own kids and friends kids and make sure they get a select spot.

I wonder how many kids have been left behind due to this?

Why do clubs not run proper assesments? Too lazy? Dont care? Cliff for sure doesnt care and its all about fees for them not developing kids.

Maybe in ontario the system is better is why no bc kids really make it thru.
Yes the population is bigger there but we have year round outdoor soccer.
Weird; not my experience with how Cliff was operating when I was with the Selects and then Mountain - they were far and away the Gold standard in Burnaby for developing kids - and I played at Wesburn and coached both there and at South.

WHich I suppose proves my point...

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was thinking there would be another WC rankings before the draw, but I guess that is not the case. I was wondering how you could then know all those permutations.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was thinking there would be another WC rankings before the draw, but I guess that is not the case. I was wondering how you could then know all those permutations.
World rankings will be released tomorrow and those will be used for the draw.

The formula is public, though, so, thanks to Twitter, there are plenty of people with enough time on their hands to update the rankings "unofficially" minute by minute.

Based on all the math, with Nigeria going out and Tunisia settling for the draw instead of winning their way in, the door is now open for Canada tonight to vault over Tunisia with a win.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
How does it work? Is it based on the world rankings? And, what is that algorithm?

I assume that for the above situations, it also means that Canada must win the next game?
Canada needs 2 of these 5.001 possibilities:

Tunisia draw or loss. (done)
Nigeria knocked out! (Done)

Morocco knocked out!
Egypt loss to Senegal by one goal, but advance on away goals.
Portugal knocked out!
Costa Rica beat USA by 6.

Canada wins and they are in Pot 3 now

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0