Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe Robbo needs to get a game suspension and watch from up in the press box. Or just some postgame tape.

Either we're all idiots and don't see what he sees, or he's blinded by something. Guess that could go either way, but maybe a big mixup for a game? I'm not opposed to giving Solkowski a game as a mixup.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's hard to watch what's happening on the pitch. We want to be entertained and we want to support winners but maybe I'm one of the crazies but I'd support the idea of having more Canadian players on the pitch(one day). We have 3 teams playing at the highest level of play in North America and it would be beneficial for our MNT if we had more players getting that level of experience. It would possibly mean that we'd have to support losing campaigns for a while. Are we willing to do that though? There's no fear of being relegated to a 2nd division. Just the fear of the fan base abandoning I suppose. Your thoughts?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's hard to watch what's happening on the pitch. We want to be entertained and we want to support winners but maybe I'm one of the crazies but I'd support the idea of having more Canadian players on the pitch(one day). We have 3 teams playing at the highest level of play in North America and it would be beneficial for our MNT if we had more players getting that level of experience. It would possibly mean that we'd have to support losing campaigns for a while. Are we willing to do that though? There's no fear of being relegated to a 2nd division. Just the fear of the fan base abandoning I suppose. Your thoughts?

No.

I would fully support the Whitecaps bringing in Canadians like Atiba, Larin, Hoillett, etc. who can actually perform, but to play inferior Canadian players just for the sake of playing Canadians would be ass backwards for a professional franchise competing in a league with our American neighbours who have no such restrictions. Could you imagine if Swansea or Cardiff decided they were going to play a minimum number of Welsh players while competing in the Leagues they're in?

Now, if there were an actual Canadian league, and you had minimum requirements on Canadian players, I would have no problem with that. It would be an even playing field for all teams involved, and would be the right situation to sacrifice quality for the purpose of creating development opportunities.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are we still trying to intentionally use Canadian content? Is this the CRTC? fcuk me, I thought we were trying to be successful? Shouldn't we just be going after the best players we can, Canadian or not?

In reading the reports (didn't see the match), sounds like the only Canadian for us that didn't play up to a reasonable level was Tiebert...which has been the case a while. Was Davies bad, or average? Sounds like Ritchie was pretty good.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Davies was invisible. Apparently he only touched the ball 12 times, and I can't remember him doing anything useful with it.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Could you imagine if Swansea or Cardiff decided they were going to play a minimum number of Welsh players while competing in the Leagues they're in?

I was interested to fact check...Swansea had 13 Welsh players on the books in their promotion year. Cardiff, 5.
Swansea had a few first teamers in Allen, Willams, taylor and to a lesser extent Cotteril(16) and Richards(8). Cardiff only had Craig Bellamy playing any significant role.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@machel how many Welsh players on Swansea now? :)

If you look at the development/academy/u23s squads for these clubs, there's no shortage of Welsh players involved, but at the end of the day with the 1st team, you have to play the best available players.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had my doubts after I renewed my season tickets for this year and as the season has started I think I made the wrong decision. If they do make a coaching change without changes in management it will not be enough. This group underestimated the league the year they joined, they fired Tueter (sp can't be bothered to look it up) replaced him with Soen (again can't be bothered with sp), then Rennie and now Robinson. Add in Omar Salgado, Jarju, Camilo, Rochat the list goes on and on and someone in the front office has to be made responsible even if the decisions were not theirs it happened on their watch. They had a perfect opportunity to build some fan support while the Canucks are in a down period and the Lions struggle but they are blowing it. In two or three years the Canucks are going to be relevant again and they are not going to get any attention.

Sucks being a fan in Vancouver. Rant over. Happy Monday

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Last exciting year was the Kenny Miller days. At least he brought some excitement to the games he played,
We seem to keep all the average at best players, same ones we complain about.
Harvey, Manneh, Tiebert, Waston, and lose the fan favourites like DeMerit, YP Lee, Miller.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
True but I do wonder the involvement from the likes of Lenarduzi, Rachel and ownership. It is one thing to balance your budget most years but sometimes you have to look at opportunity for long term gains vs. short term pains. They knew they had Champions league games this year that could potentially garner interest at the same time people are tuning out the Canucks. They should have made the investment early in the off season to bring in impact players and not wait till right before the season begins to have an unfit Montero fall in their lap. They will very shortly be out of Champions league and 5 league games in without a win. Not to mention it is unwatchable just brutal. If this ownership doesn't want to win sell to someone who does. Clearly they have no clue how to build a winner and it is not just bring in another coach.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brek is past it. You can see it from match 1.
Montero needs someone to balance him up top. Perhaps Hurtado is the guy to run and hold and just allow Montero to be the fox in the box type striker.

Can we really rely on a 16 year old winger to produce lots of our chances and offence?
Manneh seems like he got a little cocky and took a step back in development.

I like Nico, and Bolanos. But it needs to be balanced with some pace and strength.
And as I said all last year, our midfield balance needs to be there and it simply is not.
Laba is a great ball Winner, but NEEDS a partner in there to advance the ball with vision.

Its all about balance on the field. especially in the middle of the park.

Perhaps search out for some euro talent? I love the latin vibes but its been years of getting their left overs when they come here.
Tchechera is past it to. I think he is simply just too small and doesn't have the pure speed to over come that.
So he pushes it by a guy and doesn't have the pace or power to keep possession. Brek, the Bug, Rosales, are passed it. Rather have one proper starter then the depth of guys that are past it.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd try and Bring Back Koffie. Not sure he would though. Looks like he has it Pretty good in Sweden these days. Caps really screwed that one up. Haven't been the same since

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yep.
I get developing young talent with the hopes of selling one of them off for decent money one day. But at what cost?

We didn't have balance with Morales.
I like the idea of Montero, but after watching him play, he will need someone to balance him out as well now.
Laba is extreme highly defensive and a ball winner but doesn't offer the other stuff. Manneh the opposite.
Can we not find some players that are 7/8 out of 10's on both sides of the ball?
like a Nico... he seems to work his ass off defensively and on the ball as well. Its North American soccer, not Italian league where its all methodical and built up.
Now we can barely balance our mid, but little Montero is going to have to hold up the ball against much stronger and faster CBs. ?
Is that his game? can we get him some touches in some matches please?

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
To be fair I think Koffie always planned on leaving to try Europe and the caps knew that so they traded him early to get something for him instead of losing him for nothing. I don't blame them for losing a player that wants to try Europe but I blame them for not finding a replacement when they leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0