Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
A new season is upon us so that must mean it’s time for...

Completely Baseless Predictions:

Completely Baseless SEASON PREVIEW

In an effort to continue to broaden the interest and discussion regarding top level amateur soccer I will be trying to add more FVSL content this season. I won’t be able to commit to doing weekly previews/predictions for the FVSL (heck there’s some weeks when I can’t get the two VMSL ones done!). I will however do my best to try and get out to more FVS Umbro Premier League games and issue match reports (though I am not sure I will venture all the way out to Aldergrove again, THAT was a trek) and it all begins THIS WEEKEND. I will be at Newton Athletic for VMSL Opening Day and, wouldn’t you know it, there is an FVSL Umbro Premier game at 2pm right there. I will try to have a look at it!

Standard Disclaimer:
For those not familiar with my column, I am largely just pulling this stuff out of thin air. I try to find whatever information is readily available online, but, ultimately, I am just trying to generate some interest in local soccer in BC. If I have omitted or overlooked facts that you consider relevant to your team, it's not done intentionally...get over it...
clip_image001.gif
;)

1) Aldergrove Utd.

Last year’s Champions and Provincial Cup Finalists and I will tip them to retain their crown this season. The Aldy boys had it wrapped up nice and early last campaign with limited resistance along the way. True, once the league was done and dusted, their form dipped somewhat and they would, I’m sure, like to see better performances in both domestic cup competitions this year, but overall they still look the strength of the league. With BC Soccer Player of the Year Connor Hildebrant back stirring the drink in the centre of the midfield it will be a strong engine room and if Brett Wiens returns up top, and manages to stay healthy, then the goals should flow as well. The real challenge for Aldergrove will be forgetting about their Provincial Final let down and focussing on doing the business in the league to give themselves the best chance and returning to the big dance.

2) Langley Utd.

They were bridesmaids last season and are on course, it would seem, for the same again this year. Langley finished the campaign smartly last year to consolidate their runners up credentials and rode that wave all the way to a Provincial Cup Semi-Final (before losing to the eventual Champion Club Inter). Veteran goalkeeper and TSS Rovers number one Andrew Hick is scheduled to be back in the stick once the CIS season wraps up, but he could use some more fire power around him in the squad if LU are to make a title charge. Despite heavily trying to recruit Nick Soolsma from the VMSL’s Rovers Tigers, it seems Langley were not able to pry him away.

3) Surrey Utd.

After an offseason return to the Fraser Valley Soccer League prior to the 2016/17 season, Surrey proceeded to completely underperform. The club failed to qualify for the Provincial Cup for the first time in recent memory and, thus, further retooling has commenced. The club is rumoured to have swallowed up Port Moody Rangers, last season’s Pakenham Cup Champions. This should provide the springboard the club needs to be relevant at the top end of the table and, one would expect, pave the way for their return to the Provincial Cup. If things really click they could be in the hunt for a title, especially if last season’s leading scorer, and Fraser Valley Golden Boot winner Sean Einerson, can recapture similar form.

4) Coastal FC

In another bold offseason merger, Coastal FC has completely revamped their Premier set up. Out (again...) as top flight manager is Ron Stevenson and in, along with what is rumoured to be most of his team, is long time North Delta man Corrado Lenzi. North Delta left for greener pastures in the VMSL two seasons ago in an attempt to solidify themselves as a top men’s team in the Province. However, after finding things more difficult than they expected in Division 1, and earning promotion only via Surrey United’s departure to the FVSL, they now return to the Fraser Valley after a last place finish and relegation from the VMSL’s top flight. Enter Coastal FC and a landing place, with a chance to return to the Provincial Cup and start punching with the heavyweights again (...in a format that allows for a “one-off” victory because clearly the whole “prove it over the course of a season” thing didn’t really work out). All that being said, this is a team that was much better than their record last year, they absolutely can hang with the big boys and it would seem likely that last year was just a case of bad luck, bad timing and bad psychology when losing becomes expected/habitual. A few early positive results will do this group a world of good and, once that winning feeling returns, this lot should be back to looking down the table at teams below them, rather than propping it up.

5) Abbotsford Utd.

It would appear to be a case of standing still while everybody else around you strengthens. Abby finished third last year, but with the addition of the new and improved Surrey Utd. and Coastal that seems likely to be a tough feat to repeat. Abbotsford are a long time pillar of strength in the Valley, but were far from overwhelming last season. Case in point, they were the lone team to be swept aside by an Island club in last season’s Provincial tournament where the Island looked very weak indeed. Certainly don’t expect the Abby boys to be whipping boys by any stretch of the imagination, they will hold their own, but I would expect to see them on the wrong end of close games with those above them in the table. Not a season for silverware, but they should be in the conversation for the fifth and final Provincial Cup berth.

6) Port Moody Gunners

They needed all sorts of last minute SX Cup heroics last season to squeeze into Provincials, but they were also Pakenham Cup finalists, so perhaps knockout competitions are their thing. With local cousins Rangers folding up shop and heading off to join Surrey Utd., the Gunners might have had the chance to bolster their ranks with those not wanting to cross the river for training and games. A cup win looks likely to be their best bet of securing a seat at the table everyone wants to be at come April, but expect to see them fighting it out with Abbotsford for the fifth and final spot should the cups ultimately go to one of the top four.

7) Burnaby Firefighters

A bit of a wild card here. This group waltzed through Division 1 last season and is a rare newcomer to the Umbro Premier League via promotion (with most teams getting in via political mergers, etc. or staying in via the inability for Division 1 teams to be promoted). If these guys are the real deal they could contend for a Provincial Cup berth, but that would be highly surprising. A good season if they can simply consolidate their place in the top tier.

8) Chilliwack FC

It’s been a few years of steady decline for Chilliwack with possibly their best advantage being that they are so god damn far away. Friday 8pm kick offs on the far side of the Valley might earn them a few bonus points, but I am certain teams will be all to happy to welcome them for the return fixtures. Despite Chilliwacks recent banality, there always seems to be someone worse, but they were almost dragged into a relegation battle at the tail end of last season and could be again this year. That’s assuming there is a relegation battle (given that there are only 9 teams in the league this season and the fact that the FVSL is the FVSL, I’m betting on no one getting relegated).

9) BC Tigers Dasmesh

Everybody wondered where this club had come from last season to be gifted a Premier spot and, as it turned out, everybody was right to wonder. A dismal last place finish, coupled with an independent and ambitious team in Division 1 below them seemed to spell the end for Dasmesh. However, thanks to Westcoast FC and Port Moody Rangers respectively folding, the league was not in a position to relegate anybody. This year though, when everybody is wondering where this club has come from, the answer will be simple: Coastal. Yes, Ron Stevenson and Co. have taken their show on the road once more after being displaced thanks to the Coastal/North Delta reshuffle. Last season’s Coastal team finished only one place ahead of bottom team Dasmesh, so it doesn’t exactly instill confidence given that this new BC Tigers Dasmesh is essentially just the two bottom sides merged together. If there is relegation (which, again, I am not certain there will be) you would have to think these guys are the prime candidates. There is always hope though, that why they play the games!

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Canucks4Ever Hicks is graduated from TWU already, but only plays half the fvsl games as he splits time with the coach's son on Langley.

Also it seems port moody gunners picked up more of the defunct westcoast talent than they did ex-Rangers. Guys like Almond, and Meers could add some offensive punch and help them finish higher up the table

Last edited:

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't even make a list on who's going to finish where. The Premier division this year is incredibly strong, I agree with the bottom two picked by @Canucks4Ever, but the other 7 could end up in any order. Even last years champions could end up outside of the top 5, unlikely but wouldn't really be surprising considering the other 6 teams all becoming stronger.

Can't wait to get out and watch some games this year, should be some good battles.

KS9

Nov 21, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
BC Tigers Dasmesh is no longer listed on the Fraser Valley Soccer Website. Have they withdrawn their team ?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Organisations that commit and then pull out at the last minute should be ostracized in the soccer community full stop.

What a mess for everyone.

mob1.jpg

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Abby 3-3 Surrey

Good back and forth entertaining game from both sides. Every goal Abby scored, Surrey equalized within 5 mins. Draw was probably a fair result with both teams having lots of chances.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coastal 7-0 BBY fireman

Not much to say Dude, they were missing 6-7 players apparently so maybe not a fair reflection of the team they are going to be putting on the field most nights. They clearly lack some depth as 7-0 was a fair result.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coastal 4-3 Chilliwack

3 points but a poor performance on our end. We went up 1-0 early and were controlling the game. Chilliwack responded on a set piece, terrible marking with a man left wide open to score a looping header at the back post. They then went up 2-1 on a long ball and some nice hustle and bustle from their striker to beat our centre backs followed by a great finish. We continued to get quality chances and tied up the game just before half.

Second half again we were the better team and went up 3-2 on a nice build up and finish. We then got about 7 quality chances before we finally made it 4-2. Chilliwack gave us trouble all afternoon on long balls and just very direct play. Stoke in November is how I would describe them. They came within 1 on a corner followed by a scramble. Didn't feel comfortable all afternoon as the long balls were taking us out of our game and we had a hard time keeping the game settled.

We will take the win but need to be much better against the top sides.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
After having just spent 4 days on a boys trip in Vegas, then returning to Chicago for maybe the 20th time in my career, I still say I'd rather do 2-3 nights in Chicago for a boys trip, given the choice. Fantastic city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0