Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Imperial Cup 2016 Imperial Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the level has gone up in recent years in premier. As Reedie mentioned. The players are technically better these days.
And they are getting better coaching coming out of youth compared to "dads" coaching in my time. (HPL now, every club has TD's and better coaching available)

All old guys think it was always better in their time. But I don't believe that's the case. The game is a lot faster now. At least from what I watch. Would anyone agree here?
Metro Ford is stacked with Talent. Same with Westvan. What was not impressive? Any certain player or aspect of the game?
Lots of these guys play at UBC and sfu etc and have gone far in recent years on those levels as well.
I think the difference @LION is from Gregs era, is teams were not stacked with UBC and SFU players they were stacked with off season 86ers/whitecaps and guys fresh out of pro -Indoor or national team duty.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
We're circling all around the main issue here: it's apples vs. oranges when it come to the present compared to the past. There's a myriad of factors, I'll highlight a couple that jump out to me:

The game is different than it was a decade ago and even before. It's about speed and skill and youth. It's why we want the professional teams we cheer for to get younger and faster. It's all about finiding the next great teen sensation, not developing the next great 25 year old.

With that youth comes ambition. Guys are less routed in a club culture because most of them are looking to go somewhere with the game. Playing prem is nice, but for kids who are 19/20/21 many still have dreams of making soccer a career. Others still get picked up by their parents. Few of them are willing to pay their dues in a society that has always told them they are ready now.

Another thing to consider is that the laws around drinking are much stricter now. Of course nobody is suggesting its OK to pound 6 or 7 back in the locker room and then hop in your car and drive, but now with things the way they are it's dodgey even to have 1 or 2. Not only that but the cities that run the complex's are cracking down more and more and are much less willing to look the other way.

It takes a ton of behind the scenes and managerial effort to instill a club culture. The previous generation that we are pining for still exists by and large at the Master's level, but no one is putting in the effort to pass that down to the youth. Sure the young guys have a different mind set from a new era, but it's easy to just write them off. It's a lot harder (and perhaps more humbling) to pass the torch and say, OK I can no longer cut it at this level personally, but the Open team is important to the club, the flagship team, and it's important that I still put in the effort to support it however I can.

So called "clubs" are disconnected, most teams don't play at the same park, nevermind stick around to support the each other. It's a big time committment when you have kids and a family to say "honey, I am going to play my game and then stay and watch the next one and maybe one more after that" or when you have school to say "I'll get all my studying done on Saturday, so I can spend all day at the park Sunday." I can remember a time when familes made a day of it at the park with everyone's kids playing together on the playground while the adults watched the games and socialized. Now you have younger players and guys at different stages in their lives, add in modern technology and no one needs to go to the park to socialize any longer.

There's other factors too, like the econmic ones @LION was mentioning, but those are the ones I am noticing most at the moment.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another thing to consider is that the laws around drinking are much stricter now. Of course nobody is suggesting its OK to pound 6 or 7 back in the locker room and then hop in your car and drive, but now with things the way they are it's dodgey even to have 1 or 2. Not only that but the cities that run the complex's are cracking down more and more and are much less willing to look the other way.
This is a huge factor. Personally I don't trust myself even at my age to stop at one after a game or training session :(

So it's hard for me to judge the youth of today for not sticking around and keeping the team/club culture alive.

That being said, if the ones still being dropped off / picked up by their parents weren't so self-involved, they would be arranging rides for their teammates weekly :)

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hate to say it but they're healthier too.
All the pubs are dying in Britain as the youth there don't consume the way Mum and Dad do.
Couldn't believe it how many were shut when I was there back in August.
The drinking culture is changing globally.

That said, we have non-drinkers on my Masters team and we just make sure there's Gatorade, pop, etc. for them in the cooler.
They still stick around though and have a laugh with us.
And, some of them just light up instead...:cool:

Stringer

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's definitely a whole bunch of different factors playing into it. The younger kids these days just seem like a bunch of wussies, not all but most loll even at 19/20/21, it is near impossible to make a career out of soccer if you already haven't.

I guess it was just better back then because your team felt like it was your family and you busted your ass for them when it mattered and then enjoyed spending time with them afterwards. Nowadays, its all about social media for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0