Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Imperial Cup 2016 Imperial Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cup predictions (early as per Regs)

Guildford v Rinos SC
Would be surprised to see Guildford slip up vs a team well below them in their own division irrespective of any recent slight dips in form.

Tigers/Rinos v North Delta
I said it earlier and I will stand by it: I would take any of the top 3 in Div 1 to beat Rinos prem. Given Delta's success in Provincials last season they are no strangers to knock out competitions and with their eagerness to prove that they belong in the top flight of the VMSL I'll take them to win comfortably.

Westside v Inter
The reverse fixture from last season when Inter cruised to a 5-0. Westside are in better form at the moment this season compared to last and will get to host the match this year. Still though, now that Inter are safely looking up the table towards a Provincial spot (as opposed to behind them at a relegation battle) I fancy them to have the quality to see off their lower division opponents.

South Delta v EDC
Two teams having very different seasons. SD are the surprise new boys punching above their weight in Div 1, while Chile-the defending Provincial Champions-are being threatened by a relegation fight in Premier in a season that has struggled to get out of first gear. South Delta are very difficult to break down and have already proven that they should not be taken lightly with 3 wins and a draw vs the top 5 in Div 1, plus they will be at home in Tsawwassen. I think there are decent odds on an upset here, that being said a loss in the first round to a team from a lower division (newly promoted to boot) for the Provincial champions is surely unfathomable. If the upset were to occur, it would certainly turn a dissapointing season for EDC into an impending disaster with a relegation batlle on the horizon. I'll take the Chilean's to get their season back on track with a cup win en route to top flight survival.

Columbus v Hibs
There's usually an upset somewhere in the bracket and though I am tempted to give it to South Delta (no I do not consider ND over Rinos to be an "upset"), I will call it here instead. Truth be told I would be more comfortable making this prediction when Columbus were in blistering form back in the fall, but I am going out on a limb and saying the Italians will be the surprise of the first round. Richmond are likely safe from the drop and are in decent form (.500 over their last 7 games), but Columbus will be hungry to prove that their relegation was an aberration and looking to demonstrate they can still compete at the highest level.

Croatia v Bingers
Bingers are wily veterens and remain near the top of Div 1, very much in the promotion race at present. Their form has cooled of late however, since the begining of the season and with two very tough matches coming in the weeks ahead of the cup they could well fall back a bit if they cannot get the results. I will expect Croatis to show their premier pedigree and take care of business against the plucky Army.

Tbh these predictions could be out the window by Monday hahaha.......:D

big gk

Oct 28, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well played Bingers!

Looking forward to a match report from @big gk
It was a great win for us. We didn't have any subs due to the long weekend but the 11 guys really fought hard. 0-0 at half time not many good chances either side. Croatia comes out flying in the second half rattling two off the bars in the first 10 minutes. Army scores off a corner in the 65 th minute as the wind held the ball up and hunt knocks it home we have a glorious chance to score another but amazing goal line save by their defender after Sandhu was beaten. They have a guy get a second yellow in the 75 th minute and then we held on for dear life. Croatia is a good team and very well coached and a classy organization but I don't think they will be thrilled losing to a div 1 team.

Marcus

Jan 25, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well in guys, you're definitely a hard working team and you have the talent, congratulations big win versus those Croats! Good luck the rest of the way buddy.

Rino's Hat

Nov 22, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seeing as Bingers weren't going to turn up to next week's league meeting (congrats on the big win) we figured we'd take down Guildford.

Coming up, can a Rino's team beat a premier side...

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
ND 3-2 Tigers

Tigers came out the first 30 minutes and played us off the park, up 2-0 after 20 minutes and they could have had a few more by the 30 minute mark. They play a very very high defensive line to almost half, basically 11 guys in your end which leaves you no room or space to play. Honestly we were at 6s and 7s, didn't know what to do and they had about 80% possession. They spread the two center backs wide and have two good holders that come get it, just very comfortable on the ball and we couldn't seem to find our shape. We were chasing shadows to put it bluntly. We managed to score one late in the half on a quick ball over the top which caught their high line and our player nicked it past the keeper.

Half time we made a few adjustments and completely shut down their system of play taking away their midfields space and time very high up the park. we played very direct getting balls in behind, yes balls in behind. We tied it about 20 minutes in on another breakaway pass catching their high line again. We carried the momentum from there and with 5 to play our winger beat his man, crossed an early one behind the defense and our forward was robbed by the keeper but we scored on the rebound. great come back after it looked like it was going to be ugly. They are the best team we have faced this season in my opinion, very skilled just young. They play to high of a line to be honest as speedy players that can run from the midfield and can out pace you are going to get in behind. We would literally be 10 yards from half and they were almost at the half way line.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good report @bulljive

I only caught the first 30 mins and it was all Rino's. Centre back and centre mid are both 16 years old and acquitted themselves very well. Was speaking with @dezza and the high line has been a theme all year but they stick with it for the development of the players. Surprised they haven't won some games this year as they have talent.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good report @bulljive

I only caught the first 30 mins and it was all Rino's. Centre back and centre mid are both 16 years old and acquitted themselves very well. Was speaking with @dezza and the high line has been a theme all year but they stick with it for the development of the players. Surprised they haven't won some games this year as they have talent.

Wow that's incredible 16. I knew one of the center mids was young, the little Asian fella. What a tidy little player. The center back was very confident on the ball, can't imagine at 16 playing at that level.

I talked to a view VMSL premier guys after the game and everyone kind of says the same thing. They can play but we just played direct balls in behind their backs and eventually you catch them.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
ND 3-2 Tigers

Tigers came out the first 30 minutes and played us off the park, up 2-0 after 20 minutes and they could have had a few more by the 30 minute mark. They play a very very high defensive line to almost half, basically 11 guys in your end which leaves you no room or space to play. Honestly we were at 6s and 7s, didn't know what to do and they had about 80% possession. They spread the two center backs wide and have two good holders that come get it, just very comfortable on the ball and we couldn't seem to find our shape. We were chasing shadows to put it bluntly. We managed to score one late in the half on a quick ball over the top which caught their high line and our player nicked it past the keeper.

Half time we made a few adjustments and completely shut down their system of play taking away their midfields space and time very high up the park. we played very direct getting balls in behind, yes balls in behind. We tied it about 20 minutes in on another breakaway pass catching their high line again. We carried the momentum from there and with 5 to play our winger beat his man, crossed an early one behind the defense and our forward was robbed by the keeper but we scored on the rebound. great come back after it looked like it was going to be ugly. They are the best team we have faced this season in my opinion, very skilled just young. They play to high of a line to be honest as speedy players that can run from the midfield and can out pace you are going to get in behind. We would literally be 10 yards from half and they were almost at the half way line.

Fairly accurate representation of the game. I absolutely thought we were going to cruise to a 4-0 or 5-0 win the way things were going at the start, but we hit the crossbar, you nicked one before half, and that changed things. Certainly you guys adjusted well, and seemed a different team in the 2nd half. To be honest, once it was 2-2 it only ever looked like it was ND that was going to score a winner. As good as our boys are technically they still have a lot to learn on the mental side of the game.

I appreciate your observations based on actually having been at the game, as opposed to the donkeys on this forum who spout things like "worst premier team ever" without ever actually seeing them play. Aside from the top 4 teams who are strong squads top to bottom, I think we've given everyone else a decent run this season. A little bit of luck and we would have even won a few.

Good luck in the next round, and with the promotion hunt.

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Round of 16 (with league positions in brackets):

• Coq M-Ford Wolves A (Prem, 2nd) v Rino’s Vanc SC (D1, 8th), Town Ctr PP Stad Turf – COQ, FRI / 7:30 PM
  • West Van FC A (Prem, 3rd) v FC Romania A (D1, 12th), Ambleside D Turf – WVAN, FRI / 7:30 PM
  • Binger’s Army (D1, 5th) v NVFC Norvan (Prem, 11th), Trillium Turf East – VAN, FRI / 8:00 PM
  • Pegasus FC (Prem, 1st) v EDC FC Burnaby A (Prem, 10th), Newton Athl 1 Stad Turf – SRY, FRI / 8:30 PM
  • Club Inter (Prem, 6th) v Pacific United BCT A (Prem, 9th), Empire Turf North – VAN, SAT / 2:00 PM
  • ICSF Columbus FC A (D1, 1st) v Langley FC (Prem, 8th), Bby Lake West 2 Turf – BBY, SAT / 3:00 PM
  • North Delta Olympics A (D1, 2nd) v Metropolitan A (D1, 7th), Delsom Turf – NDEL, SAT / 6:00 PM
  • Surrey United FF (Prem, 4th) v Sarajevo FC A (D1, 10th), Cloverdale Athl 2 Grass – SRY, SUN / 2:00 PM

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guildford v Rinos SC
Would be surprised to see Guildford slip up vs a team well below them in their own division irrespective of any recent slight dips in form.

Nice result for Rino's there. All three matches at Trillium ended in upsets—I reckon we should lobby to have it renamed "Prenton Park."

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Round 1 - 4/6
Overall - 4/6

ROUND 2 PREDICTIONS:

Metro Ford v Rinos
A big Round 1 win for Rinos against a rumoured-to-be "weakened" Guilford side. (Supposedly Guilford was "resting" players to focus on a title/promotion push). Whatever the case, all credit to Rinos for turning up a doing the business. They pushed Guilford to a 3-3 in the league as well, so perhaps the match up just favours the Vancouverites. In Round 2 they certainly won't encounter any weakened sides as they travel to Coquitlam to face Premier League leaders Metro Ford. Look for this one to be comfortable for the home side.

North Delta v Metropolitan
ND came through the first round with a predicted win over Premier basement tenants Tigers, albeit reports indicate they did not have an easy go of it. Lots of plaudits floating around for the play of Tigers, but the Div 1 promotion hopefuls came through with the win and will continue in the cup while Guilford "prepares" for their two massives clashes. North Delta's reward for their win is a home date against Div 1 mid-table Metropolitan. Students went to Delsom early this season and left with all 3pts, but ND have hit their stride of late as the league reaches a climax and, as in Round 1, will be looking to a cup run to assert their belonging in the VMSL's top flight. I see the home side finding a way yet again.

Surrey United v Sarajevo
Both teams had Round 1 byes. Sarajevo spent their week giving their survival bid real hope with a convincing win over Akal. They now control their own destiny as a massive 6-pointer looms against fellow strugglers Shaheen. Surrey's week saw them lose a Surrey derby to rivals Pegasus. The loss was the Firefighter's second on the spin and ended their faint title hopes after an impressive 9 game winning streak. The league championship is now out of reach but an Imperial Cup run could be right up the alley for a team looking to prove they have returned to their impressive form of earlier this decade. Sarajevo on the other hand may relish a chance to have the must-win pressure of a relegation battle off for at least one weekend, I Surrey starting a serious push for silverware with a win this weekend.

Inter v Pacific
Inter were pushed (perhaps slightly more than anticipated) by Westside in Round 1 but, as expected, did the business. Pacific meanwhile enjoyed a week off with a cup bye and no league fixture. Inter squeeked out a 1-0 at Newton in the only league meeting thus far and, like Surrey, with the title out of reach are likely gearing up for a decent run at the cup. I see them again coming out on top in Round 2.

Pegasus v EDC
Chile avoided a meltdown at South Delta in Round 1 while Pegasus, as mention, used their bye to knock off SU and ensure the title race will go right to the wire. No doubt the Chileans will be geared up to get a cup run going and salvage something from their Provincial Cup defending season, but Pegasus are in form and I don't see them slipping up early in the tournament.

Columbus v Langley
Columbus did manage the upset over Hibs in Round 1 and now face the team one place below Richmond in the table. Langley spent their bye eeking out a 1-1 with NorVan who are scrambling for any points they can get. Certainly Langley would have prefered all 3pts, but it is indicitive of their mid-table season that seems stuck in second gear. The Italians are in form as their Div 1 title charge continues, they pulled it off once and I will tap them to continue and claim yet another Premier scalp.

West Van v Romania
It's a complete mismatch as Premier title favourites draw Div 1 cellar dwellars. Both teams had a bye in Round 1, but there's not much to analyze here. Should be comfortable for West Van.

Bingers v NorVan
In possibly the most interesting fixture of Round 2, surprise upset Round 1 winners Bingers host relegation candidates NorVan. While the Army was pulling off the shocker NorVan saw their survival chances dealt a hammer blow with a draw against Langley. Obviously any point helps, but they no doubt who have been desperate to take all 3 given that they have now played 3 games more than their nearest competition. Certainly you would have to put Croatia ahead of NorVan so it follows that if Bingers could beat Croatia they could beat NorVan. That being said the recap of the Croatia game seemed to indicate that maybe it was more a bounce and a sending off that tipped the scales. This one really sets up as a pick 'em and I would not be surprised to see it go either way. I will have to go with the Premier pedigree on this one and give the nod to NorVan, but I think there are decent odds on a upset here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0