Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Blockbuster vs Rogers Video B Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

What's your Provincial Cup Ice Cream

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry, that game goes to PKs without the ref playing hero. Rinos full value, but thank the ref. Underwhelmed.
We have never seen this ref before he said he refs Burnaby league and Fraser valley games
Our player did get kicked in the throat
He was off for 35 mins to recover
Only came back in OT
He looked bad when I got to him on the field
We did not get a PK when our forward was knocked down from behind in the box
And a goal called off side
A ball hit underside of post
Netting moved video replay needed
So we never got much in the way of calls in our favour

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes it is only an opinion, and yours holds little weight because I know that you are just baiting looking for a reaction. Once again you are coming here to create a narrative that Campo are the underdog, and should you lose you can fall back on this litany of excuses rather than the inability of yourself to prepare your team or react accordingly to the situation at hand. I believe this was already the case when you lost the most important game of your season, the title deciding match vs Norvan.

Anyway, since I know that what you really crave is validation, I'll make you this offer with no strings attached:
If @Soccer Coach can lead Campo to victory over both Rino's Tigers in Summer League on Thursday, and Rino's Fury in the Provincial Cup on Saturday I will refrain from posting anything negative about Campo on this site for 1 full year. I will also proclaim @Soccer Coach to be a visionary leader, and worthy of the status as best coach in BC.
This is a nice dare. We will not bring our main team for Thursday. No point for us to play less than 48 hours before a final. However, having said this, you have proposed a nice bet. What about if Campo wins then you and any of Rinos posters do not post for a year any of their Trumponian discourse on Campo? If Rino wins, then I will stop post about Rinos specially the one related to making a deal with the Saudi manager who was paying players?

We know the real issue that you have with us. Players leaving your club to join us and we call straight your double standard of criticism Tigers and then joining them once they reach to premier.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Soccer Coach I just gave you an opportunity to get what you want. If you can't even motivate your players to beat a bunch of teenagers then you are clearly not the mastermind that you claim to be.

I think you might even be chicken.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Before we start with the specific events of the game, it should be acknowledged that both Burnaby teams should be very proud of their performances on the semi-finals and the competition. Impero Calcio beat GN convincingly and Mudiovocat beat Strikers. Impero Calcio posed a difficult challenge against Campo, and Mundiovocat tied 0-0 during regular time with Rinos. Referee decisions (highly questionable red card and missed off-side that ended in first goal) gave Mundiovocat and non deserved situation and a loss.
These results beg the question. Is really the BMSL behind the VMSL?

I tend to believe that the VMSL is stronger than the BMSL, but the games that I watched are making me question this assumption. The FSVL is clearly quite behind and very poor in their quality of play. The Richmond league is behind the BMSL, at least in this tournament. However, as now GN, Strikers, and Rinos have experienced, a VMSL team should not think of the BMSL teams as an easy walk on the park.

Campo Atletico 3 - Impero Calcio 1
I must say that Impero Calcio has very skilled players. Some of them are also very fast and show a high level of creativity. I am not surprised that they beat GN quite convincingly.

Campo Atletico started the game well. It dominated possession and created easily chances in the first 20 minutes of play. Two hit the posts and two of them were converted into goals. I will not describe them because they videos are available.

Campo Atletico dominance was clear. It was not the difference in skill but the organization in the attack and defence and the transitions. I do not think that Impero Calcio brought a proper coach, so it is like watching very talented players play with limited organization. Unfortunately, once they saw themselves behind on the score, they turned to rough play to try to contain Campo players.
We had two very hard tackles that left our players on the ground. A third rough event left our player profusely bleeding on the face. I would tend to think that the action was deserving of a red card, but perhaps the referee did not have a good angle on the play. I note that for a milder situation in the Rino-Mundiovocat game, a player got a straight red card.

The referee unit was very good and perhaps this was the only questionable call on a very though game to manage. In the middle we had Oliva or D'Oliva. I am not sure of his last name. He did extremely well on a difficult game that could have ended in a brawl after a couple of hard tackles. Some of our players also retaliated with very hard fouls. On the sidelines we had a young man with a bear and a female referee with long black hair (very cute by the way). Both of them had all off-sides well called. No complains with all of them.

Because of the injured players we got disorganized and had to change positions and formation. It took us long time to stop the bleeding of the player and then we had to wash his jersey and shorts. We also had them dried. Finally we had him ready during the second half and the referees approved for him to come back. During this time we had an injured player just limping and acting as a distraction.

The confusion that the injuries were well exploited by Impero Calcio. There was a good player with a broken rib leading them, and I think that he changed their formation and strategy. It was a good move on them because for 30 minutes they got the upper hand. Another player got injured from a late tackle, so we now were forced to have two players who could only run, but not kick the ball. We tried to disguise this so they would not notice them. It partially worked, but they managed to score a good goal. It was a good finish. A nice combination between players and good dribbling gave them a well deserved goal.
For a while I thought that they deserved to tie the game. However, they had another weakness. They were not really fit. They had plenty of substitutions, but in the last 10 minutes they were tired and started to make mistakes. Our counter attacks became very dangerous. We had three that ended up in a good shot on the net, but the goalie saved them well. One was a superb dive that deflected a well placed goal. Most goalies would not have saved this shot. Finally, towards the end one more counterattack ended in a goal. This gave us some relief. We just needed to pass the ball for the four minutes of injury time. The final whistle came.

It was a good win for Campo, but Impero Calcio, in my opinion, can have their heads up. They fought well. Showed intelligence and skill, and could have tied the game. Perhaps the only reproach is the use of excessive force.

We are happy to reach the finals. I am personally very proud of the Campo players because with only 11 players and sometimes really only 10 functional players they have managed to overcome very difficult teams which have challenged us in different ways.

The game with Rinos is going to be hard. At this moment we have only 9 healthy players. We are working hard to have three more ready for the game, but sometimes you can not force recovery. Oddly, all these challenges have motivated us to show that a humble and small club and team can play equal against the favourites.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Soccer Coach I just gave you an opportunity to get what you want. If you can't even motivate your players to beat a bunch of teenagers then you are clearly not the mastermind that you claim to be.

I think you might even be chicken.

Do not count your chickens before they are hatched. This elusive cup is so close in your hands, but you know well that Campo can take it away from you, and you know this team is capable of doing it even with only 9 or 10 players This is why you have always feared us. Our players have raised that cup before, but yours have not. You might be the bigger club, have more players, and be the favourite, but this does not assure you a victory.

Your biggest fear has come to be true. The team that can defeat you survived to fight you.

My last for post a while guys. Time to bunker, and concentrate, and prepare for this game.

vmsl_post.jpg

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
.....The VMSL is without doubt the better league, so at the end happened what it needed to happen. The best team of Division 2B is playing with the best team of Division 2A for a provincial final.

Correction, the Provincial B Cup. It is not a Provincial Final. Surely someone told you there is an actual A Cup?

True Lies

Nov 8, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So the Provincial B final sets up as a story book... Caught both Semi's this weekend and the VMSL teams were the better bunch.

Rino's were organized and work hard, but generally were uninspiring. Campo has quality and some great finishers but as Soccer Coach has detailed (over and over) are stretched pretty thin.

Prediction... this one goes to OT. Winner is whoever can finish.

True Lies

Nov 8, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rino's should have scored 7 before the end of regulation.

agreed they "should have" but they didn't and most of Rino's better chances came after Mundiavocat were reduced to 10 on a questionable red card. What did impress me about Rino's was their composure and structure.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
First half. The game was competitive at 11v11. Rino had zero shots on goal during the run of play 11v11. Having said that, our keeper made a great save on a nicely taken free kick and then they shot horribly wide on a break away gift wrapped to them by our centre back. We had 2 tame efforts on goal but most of the work was being done in midfield by both squads. 0-0 at half. On a personal note, I pulled my hammy early and wasn't much of a factor and had to be taken off...gutted.

Second half a terrible red card decision killed the game off and Rino took advantage. They created at least 4 good goal scoring opportunities but were wasteful in front of goal. So in that aspect, I'll agree with @Soccer Coach. And if you'd ask @SmartCoach or @dezza, they couldn't have been happy with the lack of finishing against 10 men. 0-0 after 90mins.(obviously)

We were exhausted with some playing injured in extra time and tried to bunker down to get to pks but Rino finally put a few of their chances away. The first goal was a tad controversial but goals 2 and 3 were decent strikes. The 3rd goal by the 42yr young winger was also on the Rino championship winning team in 2006. That's for @Soccer Coach :)

We were missing our midfield talisman and our #2 and 3 goal scorers on the day. Not making excuses(the red card was the decider)...we just weren't at full strength on the day and through out the whole competition actually.

Rino have a good midfield core that will do them well in Div1. Too bad they all don't play at the same time on the pitch due to their formation.

Good luck to Campo and Rino! Creative flair and pace vs athletic and systematic formation.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't have a chance to get this up last night but here's all the goals and some other highlights from the Mundiavocat - Rino's Fury game. Didn't realise it was as windy as it was till I heard the audio on this!

Was it hot air? Were you sitting near @Soccer Coach?

I think the video speaks for itself regarding chances in the match. Yes our team's finishing was poor on the day, but it could have easily been 4-0 before the red card. I thought Mundi looked the most dangerous when their CB #3 moved forward with the ball, but it happened infrequently as he knew it would leave them too open at the back.

Mundi are a good side, and worked hard to keep it 0-0 as long as they did. I acknowledge that they were missing some key players, but it's B cup soccer and you deal with the hand your a dealt. Injures/conflicts are a reality at this level and you just do the best with what you have. Congrats Mundi on a great provincial cup run and winning the top division in the BMSA. Good luck to those of you heading to Spain for the Mundiavocat Lawyer's World Cup.

Rino's Hat

Nov 22, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rinos had a rather pyrrhic performance, perhaps they see it differently.

I would imagine the guys do indeed see it differently. Had to google pyrrhic, naturally enough:

pyr·rhic
ˈpirik/
adjective
  1. (of a victory) won at too great a cost to have been worthwhile for the victor.
The victory was very worthwhile seeing as it got Rino's into the final. As for the cost, well we came out with no injuries and no suspensions.

So you know, pyrrhic is not in very common usage, it's a strange word to have thrown in. I think the word you are hearing all the time is prick, which to be fair does sound very similar.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So we are coming up to the massive battle on the Island between the two opposing forces of VMSL Div 2. This match is very interesting as it pits two opposing styles of play and philosophy in a high stakes match.

First you have the Latino flair of Campo Atletico. That also comes with the flamboyance and diving tactics that CONCACAF teams are so well known for. Campo are to VMSL Div 2 as Mexico are to CONCACAF. They are the perennial favourites, they have won before (Campo were promoted from Div 2 and won the Provincial B Cup in 2012), and they have a seemingly endless pipeline of fresh new talent (Campo were adding better players throughout the season as they continually demoted players deemed surplus to the point of needing to add a CAT team so they had somewhere to send them). Like Mexico, they also have a rotating carousel of coaches (4 coaches in 5 years I think? An Italian Coach, @Soccer Coach, an injured Irish player coaching, a Girl Coach, @Soccer Coach again), and sometimes in their desperation they select a coach who seems very passionate about the game, even if he has no tact in public forums

and usually this works for a while, until the coach goes too far and embarrasses the organization

I hope the occasion won't be too much for @Soccer Coach and he will not react this way to any criticism he receives. It will be especially difficult if Campo lose as they are such major favourites for this competition.

On the opposite side, are the Rino's Fury lads. At the core of their success is consistent teamwork and an incredible belief in themselves to find ways to win. They proved that this year on multiple occasions with improbable victories achieved by reversing early deficits, or scoring late match winners. They have a mix of skill and grit, and are always well organized, but make no mistake they are the underdogs in this situation. It will be incredibly difficult to contain Campo's attacking powers and also to stay disciplined against Campo's antics as they have forced Harps and Strikers to take red cards in previous cup matches. In this scenario I think Rino's Fury are a bit like the brave Canada Team that shocked the world by winning the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2000. Of course on the road to victory they faced the super power of CONCACAF Mexico, and this was the result:

So who will win on Saturday in Victoria? The flair and panache of Campo Atletico or the honest hard work and camaraderie of Rino's Fury? I think if the Fury can play a near perfect game and keep it close, then just maybe someone can step up and be their Richard Hastings.

True Lies

Nov 8, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting read Dezza... amazing the how personalities have taken over from what is a great sporting conversation. Both teams deserve to be in the final and hopefully the mud slinging ends on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0