Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012 Whitecaps Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Caps looked pretty good yesterday against the first place Earthquakes. Richards is a great fit on that wing and was causing fits all night and deserved a solid finish on his first Caps goal. Barry Barry Barry Barry Robson, is really coming into his own and controlling that midfield. Camilo with another shocker IMO, and would be nice to see him replaced with a healthy Salgado, but he did get us the PK, which was his only bright spot tbh. Thought the Southsiders Eric Hassli chant in the 29th minute was very classy as well. If we can keep played this well and not playing down to other teams level we have a good shot at keeping our play off spot. Also great work by the Whitecaps U-18 who came 2nd in the Nationals in their first year. Ben Fisk with 7 Goals. Great job to them.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What would have been better from yesterday is if Miller scored less than a minute being on the pitch :)

I'm still not convinced with Mattocks... I'm sensing a bit of arrogance on the pitch from him and not working/showing when he should.

Dane Richards is 100% an upgrade over Le Teux for this team's system.

Is it just me or does Rochat seem out of sorts?

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mattocks lacks some of the soccer basics. On the Quakes goal Robson was playing a ball in for Mattocks to come back for and instead he turns away from Robson looking for him to dump it so he can chase. What should have been a basic build up out of our half resulted in a turn over and a goal. That is the difference between Hassli and Mattocks.

I listened to an interview with Rochat before the game and I got the impression he is not happy to see Hassli gone and not keen on been played all over the park. I believe he said he doesnt mind playing out of position due to injuries and suspension but would like to play a little more consistently in a position. I think we will be seeing him at centre back because Bonjour is suspended and Demerit is playing in the allstar game wednesday, I dread the thought of a Rochat Mitchel pairing again. Hopefully Rennie can keep him happy because we need a happy Healthy back four to make he playoffs and hopefully win a few games.

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What ever happened to Boxall? Why not play him and Mitchell in the middle since they are both CB's and play Rochat in his normal position? I thought Boxall was decent last year. Part of Rennie's problem this year is he hasn't really rested any of the back four. If they continue playing every freaking game then they will start fading in the next little while. I don't think he understands the concept of squad rotation. To me it looks like Demerit, Bonjour and Lee can use a rest, Bonjour especially.

NVM I noticed Boxall got waived. I guess they are down to only 3 CB now?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Koffie a beast once again and Mattocks, well, do I really have to say it again?

Great result

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess we're officially moving into playoff watch 2012... and it's nice of the league to finally announce the tiebreak criteria a little better than halfway through the year. :confused: MLS reveals new set of standings tiebreakers for '12 season | MLSsoccer.com

Caps have 10 games to play and are tied for 3rd with Seattle, but 4th on tie breaks...just ahead of LAG. Caps have a nice sched from here on out. 5 games home and 5 away. The away matches are to Portland, Seattle, LAG, Dallas and RSL (In that order) the first 4 of the last 5 games are at home. There's also no multiple games in a week involving travel either.

I'd say things look good to almost a lock for the playoffs, in fact some unexpected points or wins away to LAG and Seattle and RSL could see them challenge for the conference.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess we're officially moving into playoff watch 2012... and it's nice of the league to finally announce the tiebreak criteria a little better than halfway through the year. :confused: MLS reveals new set of standings tiebreakers for '12 season | MLSsoccer.com

Caps have 10 games to play and are tied for 3rd with Seattle, but 4th on tie breaks...just ahead of LAG. Caps have a nice sched from here on out. 5 games home and 5 away. The away matches are to Portland, Seattle, LAG, Dallas and RSL (In that order) the first 4 of the last 5 games are at home. There's also no multiple games in a week involving travel either.

I'd say things look good to almost a lock for the playoffs, in fact some unexpected points or wins away to LAG and Seattle and RSL could see them challenge for the conference.

Yeah, from what I've read, the teams have been aware of this tie-break system since January but why it wasn't announced with the new playoff format is baffling and a little micky mouse. As for the playoff run, it will be tight with the LAG not going anywhere. Need to finish 4th or above to host a playoff match... and maybe open the entire lower bowl ;).

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isn't the PO format simply top 5 from Each conference getting in, the qualification round sees #4 host #5 in a game, winner goes on to play #1 and #2 plays #3 in 2 legged affairs till the finale?

less mickey mouse and baffling to sliding scale wildcard/crossover berths innit?

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The first place teams from the south side get a bye. Then they will play the winner of the 2nd and 5th team from the lower east. Then 3rd and 4t from the north and west will contend. the winners of each game will then play the final in mordor for the championship of middle earth. so simple JBN, so simple.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isn't the PO format simply top 5 from Each conference getting in, the qualification round sees #4 host #5 in a game, winner goes on to play #1 and #2 plays #3 in 2 legged affairs till the finale?

less mickey mouse and baffling to sliding scale wildcard/crossover berths innit?

Yes and huh? Baffling that the tie-breaker wasn't announced at the beginning of the season and need to finish 4th or higher to host. Isn't that what I said earlier?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dallas 2
Caps 0

I have to ask, WTF was Robson doing out wide once Nanchoff came in?!?!?!

Camilo out wide in front of Rochat COMPLETELY wastes Rochat's strengths.

For me, a coach/manager who has a good system should not have it completely fall apart when a couple of starters are missing... and last night was a complete falling apart.

For me, Miller actually wasn't as bad as others are making out. Sadly, he will not be given a chance to succeed because he is surrounded by players that are 3 fcuking steps behind when it comes to vision.

We shipped out 2 players who were not selfish (davide & hassli) and kept the 2 most selfish and arrogant players (camilo & mattocks) ... not the best way to get long-term success in my books and it sucks for fans of the game.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
agreed. Robson has not the pace or dribbling ability to play out wide in this league where technical ability is often overlooked for Athleticism. He's never going round the speedy wingers and full backs of the other team at his age and with his skill set. Rochat was not overlapping at all last night, I wonder if he was told not to, or whether he thought it was useless.

Chiumiento leaving was probably more him holding the Caps ransom for what thats worth. Hassli scored last night and set up the other in the Porkland TFC 2-2 draw.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's the play most will remember from last night...and it was a great little play that reflected the game in full. Caps doing dumb things, Dallas theatrics and MLS "Officials" buying into the rubbish.

Ferreira should be banned a few games and/or severely fined- this is the stuff that sours football in North America when trying to sell the game to fans of throwball, hockey, etc

YP Lee doesn't even touch him, when Davidson goes to torque him up off the field Ferreira springs to life and isn't hurt anymore, didn't even need the magic spray... and somehow the official gives Lee a Yellow card.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Huge points dropped last night. On the road for 4 now.. Seattle, Portland, LA and Dallas. Caps could be out of a playoff spot by the time they return. SMH.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Portland is awful, the Caps will have everyone back for Seattle save perhaps Demerit and his broken egg. LA is a different team depending on who is in their lineup... The Caps will be VERY fired up for their match in Dallas.

I'm not trying to be too optimistic here but it's not insane to expect at least a draw and a win from the 4 games, even nicking a win in either LAG or Dallas (Hard to imagine the Caps winning in Seattle with 60k behind the Sounders) 4-6 points from these 4 games leaving the Caps with 40/41/43 points going into the last 5 games, 4 of which at home, 3 of which are against the 3 basement dwellers of the WC (another 9 points)

Just keep Thorrington and Harris off the park and we'll be fine ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0