Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nationals [2006 Challenge Cup] Senior Men's National Championship

BC Teams @ Nationals
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ottawa vs. Calgary on the turf should make for a cracker! Post dawn kick-off for the ladies is an absolute joke though...

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
alikira said:
The men's final was ****ing shite to be honest.......The Calgary goalie cost them the only goal, which wasn't surprising as he was the worst player on the park. Having said that, there was still time left when I left so I don't know how it ended up.

Both teams had VERY good defenses.....

Larsson, I didn't see you on the park. I can't believe you spout off so much about a team you don't even play on. But then again, it's not that surprising......:)

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No real pace, flow or passion to this match at all... I realise these teams don't have much time to hate each other, but you'd think if they're playing for the National Championship they'd want it more??? Horrible mistake by the keeper on the lone goal, VERY disppointing over all...

Really.

NO2

Sep 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Would have to agree that the final was somewhat of a disappointment. I only saw the second half, but it was uneventful and lacking in intensity.

The Ottawa goal was against the flow of play and it's one the keeper will be thinking about for some time.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have a feeling thats not the first one the keeper has let in like that. As guinness said the game lacked passion it looked like a summer league game out there except defensive.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't see the game. I read that it wasn't the greatest.
Sidenote though,..
These guys have played 5 games or so.
Shared a bed with a guy for 5 nights.
And played on turf!!!

Congratulations Ottawa!!
notgoingtobethatwestcoasthater!!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to Ottawa. As mentioned, both teams had VERY stong defenses but no players on either team took the game by the 'scruff of the neck'. Two evenly matched teams which lacked something...........:( Yes, 5 games in 6 days.........difficult but it's for the National Championship so it shouldn't be difficult to get the adrenalin going.

That keeper was an accident waiting to happen and it did.......

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Final

The way Calgary was playing you would have thought the game was tied and they were waiting for OT. There was no urgency whatsoever after the goal; very boring....

What a complete disgrace of an event. 3 south fields were in perfect condition and sat idle on Monday, the North fields were the worst fields I've seen in a long time. Rules were being made as they went along, time changes, what a complete joke. Some one from Nations Cup Organizing Commitee should bid for the next one in BC.

Sapp vs NFLD in the seeding round. Didn't want to play soccer, just sit back and wait for their counter. They got it 20 in and almost held on with 10 men.

Played PEI on the very worst pitch: 60 yards wide and a massive crown, 8" grass down the flanks. Gord "Super Sub" Sanders, the old bugger comes on and pots the 1-0 winner with 15 left. PEI stacked 10 within 25 yards of their goal from the opening whistle. 5th place!

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice to See.....

ONT wins it. Played everyone of their games on turf. Just yet ANOTHER stupid scheduling issue with BCSA and SFC. Never had to play in the shite.

Alikira, after playing on the North fields, the turf was very much a luxury.

4-0-1. Sapp is their only blemish. Only team they couldn't score on and they played everyone except the guy with the rouge frow and the balding, pigon-toed 6'5 dude. I believe his last name was Regn...;)

Sapperton
2-1-2 (only loss vs a BC team) 5th Place.

I feel Sapp can be proud of their effort. We pushed to the end for the best seed possible next year. Against PEI and NFLD, they were both very intense right to the end and played hard. Sapp had to pick up their game to win and did so. Everyone on our 20 man roster played. The brutal field conditions us and Firemen played on for 7 of our 10 games took its toll on the guys. Both teams finished the tourney with 13 healthy bodies and I attribute that to our game against each other and the heavy, heavy pitches.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WAB,

Was the banquet at least half decent? How about the officiating? The guy who did the final did a great job in my opinion. Congrats on 5th in Canada. Not a bad accomplishment under the circumstances. :thumbsup:

NobbyStiles

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
alikira said:
WAB,

Was the banquet at least half decent? How about the officiating? The guy who did the final did a great job in my opinion. Congrats on 5th in Canada. Not a bad accomplishment under the circumstances. :thumbsup:

The banquet was adequate and congrats to Sapperton for bailing out the event.

The ref in the final was a complete wanker and destroyed any hope we had of keeping the game flowing.

Game was shite and poor entertainment due to referring, pitch and tiredness.

Callies GK kept us in the game v Quebec and was unable to claw out the flukey shoulder header. Cheap goal!!

The final was originally planned for grass #5 field but was changed for some strange reason!! Probably nothing to do with Ont playing all games on turf!! We wanted grass as it was 10 yds wider and we could have run them. We weren't consulted about the change!!

After having attended 14/15 nationals of varying degrees I have to say that this was the worst ever. Couldn't even produce a program or a t-shirt as a souvenir. Last year Calgary was fined $6G for "discrepencies" - god knows what CSA will fine the LOC here.

Thats all for now,
have at it!!

Nobby Stiles,
Callies FC

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I blame the CSA for everything about this final. You would think they would send someone out a week before the start date to evaluate and confirm that things are up to snuff. You would think that there would be a strict guidline to adhere to before you signed of on hosting such an event.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Couldn't even produce a program or a t-shirt as a souvenir.
Seriously? That's fcuking embarrassing. I'm surprised all the teams weren't shacked up at the Green Timbers Motor Inn.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
NobbyStiles said:
The banquet was adequate and congrats to Sapperton for bailing out the event.

The ref in the final was a complete wanker and destroyed any hope we had of keeping the game flowing.

Game was shite and poor entertainment due to referring, pitch and tiredness.

Callies GK kept us in the game v Quebec and was unable to claw out the flukey shoulder header. Cheap goal!!

The final was originally planned for grass #5 field but was changed for some strange reason!! Probably nothing to do with Ont playing all games on turf!! We wanted grass as it was 10 yds wider and we could have run them. We weren't consulted about the change!!

After having attended 14/15 nationals of varying degrees I have to say that this was the worst ever. Couldn't even produce a program or a t-shirt as a souvenir. Last year Calgary was fined $6G for "discrepencies" - god knows what CSA will fine the LOC here.

Thats all for now,
have at it!!

Nobby Stiles,
Callies FC

Nobby,

Unlucky with the result. I honestly said thought the game was going to penalties OR your goalie would blow one....unfortunately for your squad it was the latter.

As for the ref, I honestly thought he did a good job. It is the teams who usually hurt the flow of the game, with needless fouls(clutching/grabbing stuff). He had to call MOST of the stuff he did. I missed the last 15 minutes or so......right after Ottawa scored its goal. Why do you think the ref was so poor?

As for the tournament, it's a ****ing shame. I was thinking that the venue was not good enough for a final. During the womens final, either a ****ing fence or floodlight was in the way......For the guys final, not much different except people's heads were in the way. Why could they not host most of the games there(especially if they cut the grass) and have the final at somewhere like Swangard Stadium? :confused:

Too bad about the tournament organizing being a shambles.......:( Who was directly in charge of that? BCSA? Surrey F.C.? CSA?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FYI Captain: Langley has a brand spanking new 2000 seat stadium that was just recently finished, field turf, with natural grass pitches flanking the sides. Swangard, Chilliwack, Langley...take your pick. Bottom line, the CSA, BCSA, and SFC all had a hand in bottling this- in that order.

Especially disappointed in SFC. This club used to take pride in it's men's programs, and in the days Dave Woodward or even Roy Mitchell ran the club, this would have been handled much better. They would have picked up the slack for the two worthless associations and their bumbling idiots.

stoonsoccer

Oct 10, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Ref in this game did not technically do anything to blow the game but we all should know that the game is not played in a book. His calls were technically correct but completrely unneccessary. He made senseless call after senseless call and never allowed the game to actually happen.

As an official it is part of your role to judge in the early game how the teams want to play and govern the game within the rules to get the best game possible for the 2 teams. He was only concerned with the rules and of course not giving the Assessor anything to to correct him on. He did allow the Spirit of the game to enter into his officiating!!! He set the tone at the 30 second mark with a warning talk over a nothing foul.

I watched every game that both these teams played and was looking forward to a great wide open game as they are both very offensive in nature. This is where the Ref really screwed this final.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As an official it is part of your role to judge in the early game how the teams want to play and govern the game within the rules to get the best game possible for the 2 teams.

That makes things so much simpler. Who needs to worry about following the LAWS OF THE GAME when your job is to get the best game possible for the two teams that are playing. The players really don't have any role in playing the best game possible, it's all about the ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0