Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2006/2007 Masters Preseason Banter/Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRANCIS

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: VMSL Masters March/April 2006 Banter/Results

VMSL had a special Master's meeting tonight. Just a couple of topics but interesting topics none the less.

The VMSL will have an O40's division (more than likely) to start the 06/07 season. Discussion included O45, O42, O40, the use of underage players and the CAT system. The result was to have an O40's (including 40 year olds) division with no use of underage players allowing teams with the CAT system to utilize it. The division will consist of 6 or 7 teams to start, with alot of interest from other teams
for the following year.

Other topic was the discussion of how to deal with teams outside our league that are interested in joining our league (specifically the Premier division). It seems there is interest from a fairly competetive team to join our Premier division. Ideas were tossed around but no decisions were made as it was simply a discussion forum.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

I don't know, the only reason you need an over 40's Division is that you have underage people playing in the Master's Division. Physiologically, the under 35's create problems with the older players. It's a waste of time having them, I don't see why the league keeps lowering the age. The complaining that there are just not enough over 35's is not the case anymore.

I can see the need for an over 45's to have somewhere for people like me that are just waiting to join an over 50's league, but really, I had no problems at 40 keeping up with 35 year olds. But a 31 year old, come on, if he is any good he can play open, and if he is just too out of shape, he can play in Div 2 or rec somewhere. He doesn't need to come out and hit me late.

Hey, and I really didn't like the first suggestion, which was if there were not enough over 42 teams signed up that teams that did sign could play in 4th Division! The balance of Wickham's team that clawed their way into Premier last year was over 42, thank you very much.

Okay, that's my rant.

PS Physiology sucks.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I don't see why the league keeps lowering the age.
Time to disconnect his buzzer again...:rolleyes:

The league did not LOWER the age [of players]. FIFA (and by extension the CSA and BCSA) mandated that all affiliated Masters' leagues should consist of players over the age of 35. At the time we had over 30 soccer instead, and BC was the last jurisdiction in Canada to make this change. The WCOTSL (precursor to VMSL Masters) decided that this would not be fair to teams that had players between the ages of 30 and 35 on their rosters (or to these players), so the league grandfathered these players in (other leagues also did this) with the proviso that none of these players would be able to play in provincial/regional/national (if it ever happens) cup games.

After this, it was felt by some clubs that it would be too difficult to attract players in the narrow age band between 35-40, so clubs were also permitted to add 3 players between the ages of 31-34 (with the same proviso about cup play). Yes, this was a bit of a planic move, and could have been seen as lowering the age, but at the time, WCOTSL, VMSL, FVSL, NSCSL, and Millars were all competing for the same players, with pressure from BCOTS at the high [age] end. Since VMSL and WCOTSL merged, this pressure is much lower.

But a 31 year old, come on, if he is any good he can play open, and if he is just too out of shape, he can play in Div 2 or rec somewhere. He doesn't need to come out and hit me late.
Whine, whine, snivel, snivel...

If a 31 year old is too out of shape, he'll most end up with a desparate 3rd div o35 team, or a 3rd div team in Burnaby. He won't be able to make an open age 2nd div side, and any o35 team looking to improve will want to save their 3 underage spots for a player who will be able to make a difference to their side. The only place you're going to get whacked by one of these guys (and you should be) is on Saturdays.

Personally, I think an old fogey like yourself should already be playing o40 (I think I told you that 5 years ago, too:D ). I actually like the idea of an o40 division, even though our loosely-affiliated o40 side won't be joining this year, because it means that you can stay with your club, and if the CAT system works properly, move old geezers like ours around as needed (our median age was substantially higher than 42 last year).

Yes, your physiology sucks.:D :D

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

I agree with Trece. I think that the complaints about a couple of underage players (and there are not very many if any 31 year olds that are gamebreakers in this league of which I am aware). Last yeat there were a coupl of 34 year olds (Danny V, Sarge) who were dangerous, but again I dont think it was a huge difference. I note that the critics of the underage players are generally guys way past 40. I doubt they would have the same complaints if they were 36 or 37. I think we should continue with the 3 player 31 or over rule, it gets these guys into sides they want to play for earlier and makes the league better. I also, based on this year's BCs, do not believe that one can argue that it makes the VMSL less competetiive in the over 35 Provincials.
Just my thoughts.

FRANCIS

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Rumor has it that Surrey United Masters just snuck under the VMSL July 31 deadline yesterday and applied to play in VMSL for this upcoming season. I assume division pending.

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

They should start in a lower division and earn their right for promotion.

I have my doubts they would want to enter anything but the Premier Division. I have no idea what the stance is from the VMSL on this. If you were Regs age, would you want to spend 4 years starting in the 4th Division of the VMSL Masters and come 2010 you are hopefully in the Premier Division???:confused: :D :confused: :D

For us, (West Van FC) we were accepted direct into the WCOTSL Premier Division before that league was accepted into the VMSL.

If the rumor is true, that would be great for the Premier Division, as it only makes it stronger. However, would be a disappointment for a 1st Div team that feels they deserve a shot.

Interested how this all shakes out.

JAGS

FRANCIS

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Not sure exactly what has happened since the Master's meeting a few weeks back, but this is what was discussed.

At the time, the key issue was what the Firemen were going to do. If they went to O40's it would leave a spot open in Premier. As ourselves (MF Wolves, no more Celtic) and Wickham are up, the league policy is to ask the next team in line, which would be Richmond if they wanted to come up. If they said no then the league would work their way down the standings....If a team accepts, then a new team, say SU could have the spot in first division. If everyone said no then I am not sure if they would go to second division or just give it to the new team (SU). My thought is this is what they would do.

It gets even tougher if Firemen stay in Premier though because there are no spots available. Some sort of agreement must have been reached since the meeting because I can't see them coming over unless they are in Premeir or first division.

What does this do to the Valley? Who might be next? Rangers, another Sapperton squad?

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I don't think you'll see us leave.
Seeing our arch rivals leave though will definitely be a big blow to the FVSL.
They have been the team to beat for ages out here.
It's going to leave a gaping hole for sure.

Another Sapperton team?
I've heard a bit about that too actually.
I don't know about this year if one is being formed but I've heard rumours.

twoleftfeet

Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

According to what I know the Richmond Firemen are going over 40s and S.U. were invited into the league (Premier Masters) since they already have a Premier Team and a Cap team in Metro they voted that it would be in the best interest of the Club.

Rumors: Mission entering a team this year and Sapperton folding?? Anyone talk to Gameboy??? Sooo 7-8 teams....

FVSL Masters is definetly weakened but other than the Rangers the playing field will be more balanced. Perhaps Rangers should field TWO squads? :D

Oooot

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

As far as I know, entering a team right into the Prem Div. is against the VMSL constitution, thats the sticking point. Hopefully they can reach a common sense solution and put SU in the Division in which it belongs.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

Mission? Crap - they better all be away games for them. I would need to charter a helicopter to get to Mission

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Entering a team directly into the WCOTSL Premier was a no-no as well (I don't know if there was a formal constitution for the league). It's a no brainer for the VMSL Masters, the only sticky point is if the O-40's will fly, I heard it's a go pending all the teams who said they would do it actually doing it.

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Richmond Firemen????? What league are they in???It's the Vancouver Firemen who are thinking of going to O-40's.

Cheers!

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay...talked to our key guy...VFF are committed to the new O40 league.
Also of interest..or not..the Westerns for O35 may not even happen due to nobody wanting to host. Only hope is that maybe Langley/Chilliwack/Victoria step up as BC soccer says they are too busy hosting the Nationals in Surrey to worry about us O35 guys/gals. Seems Manitoba and Alberta have internal problems..nothing from Saskabush. Oh well..looks like we won in the wrong year...turkey at home.

Cheers

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That doesn't seem right - too busy? Who - BC Soccer or Surrey Youth/FC?

I would have a strong hunch that if Peace Arch Soccer Club were approached, they would put something together to host in October.

This would be 2 years running that the tourney has been a bit of a debacle :rolleyes:

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard the O-40's is not going to happen this year as well. So I guess there are a few balls still up in the air...

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Scotty's right, we have absolutley no desire to host the Masters!

Why would we????????

There will be no Masters Over 35's Westerns this year.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There will be no Masters Over 35's Westerns this year.
Yes there will be and it will be a road trip for the Firemen.

Further updates to come at 11.

In 2 days.

:D

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now you've got me scratching me head......???? This road trip in the province of BC? Will I miss turkey dinner at home with the family? Or can I get there and back in an hour? Or less? You know how us Firemen love road trips!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0