Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2003/2004 VMSL Rumours and Scuttlebutt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
With about 6 weeks to go to this year's Nation's Cup, let's get the rumour mill churning...

What's the deal with Sportstown and Firemen having talks? I've heard from 2 seperate sources that high-level meetings have taken place... Didn't Sportstown buy a spot to get into Premier in the first place? And now they are bailing out?

One more reason why the league needs to ban the sale of spots in Premier :mad:

Game on,

~Regs.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
From the excellent site:

WICKHAM FC (formerly Hagar's SC) -- Division 1 team based in North Vancouver is looking for experienced players in all positions for the coming season.

What's the deal there? Wickham FC?

~Regs.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've heard from a friend of a friend, who knows this guy who dated this girl who over heard someone at 32 flavors last night say that the Pacific 96ers have bought back their spot from Khalsa and that "The Big P" is out because of family commitments.

HOS, Ankle? Anyone?

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Regs
From the excellent site:

WICKHAM FC (formerly Hagar's SC) -- Division 1 team based in North Vancouver is looking for experienced players in all positions for the coming season.

What's the deal there? Wickham FC?

~Regs.
Hagars became synonymous with losing, hence the name change!

good move on their part....;)

revolutionary

May 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver Firemen of Sportstown???

Regs

I have heard from several unconfirmed sources that the talks are of a preliminary nature and that they are regarding an amalgamation(sp) instead of a sale. Firemen and Sportstown have a very solid connection as several sportstown employees are or were strongly associated with us. As a player I have heard nothing either way from the executive so im not getting my hopes up. Apparently a few years back when we were relegated Sapperton tried to amalgamate(sp again) but the conditions were not good enough for us so they opted to spend the next year in first division(which has now turned into 3) letting the young guys mature a bit. Thats all i know.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Rev,

I thought SYSA/SFC though was at the "helm" (for lack of a better term) for firemen? Was that a 1 year thing?

~Regs.

cside17

Better Bastard
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's in a name!

Wicham Fc is named after an old fellow, 84 I believe, who has followed Hagars for years. Now that the 3 teams are not sponsered by the pub, they decided to change their name in honour of Joe Wickham. Unless the game times clash, he is at every game week in week out. The name change was started by the womens team, and followed up by the 2 mens teams.

Quite a classy move in my opinion, also, as now Joe has been diagnosed with the big C,so playing on borrowed time.

Wishing Joe all the best!!
cside

PS, another rumor I heard today, from dickens-cider, who spotted Henrik Larsson this past week end in Whistler

revolutionary

May 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey FC/Firemen

Regs

I think our arraingement with Surrey was a little different than yours. My cynical understanding of the deal was that we basically sold them our U21 spot in compensation for balls, and training time. The two exectutive groups called it a "working agreement" whatever that means??? A few times during the year we had some players play with them because they were so bad and needed some help but other than training at Newton and using balls with their logo on it I saw no difference from years past. And Im almost certain that it was a deal that would be renewed every year.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rev,

Firemen and Sportstown have a very solid connection as several sportstown employees are or were strongly associated with us.

Employee's? We aren't talking about the blonde waitress are we? Seriously though, I guess there is Buck and Hutton, but other than that, what is the connection.

SandmanwhothinksFiremenwillbeinpremiernextyear

revolutionary

May 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Sandman
Rev,

I guess there is Buck and Hutton, but other than that, what is the connection.

Sandman

Colin Elms who I believe has some influence in the direction of Sportstown FC was a key player in the firemen dynasty years. I believe he was on the team that won nationals in 1983. 3 people who have big ties to both clubs is what i would say is a solid connection. I never said overwhelming but solid nonetheless.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS NO play for P. 96ers

Originally posted by knvb
Pacific 96ers
HOS, Ankle? Anyone?

Did not hear that rumour knvb, but I guess anything is possible, but the team is doing so well in the coast league. I can't see that after such a strong first season in Premier.

Big Rumour out of Little Italia. ColumBus has taken over AC Milan in Premier, to bring back the once big Italian power house in BC Soccer to Premier. I think they were relegated at or near the same time Inter gained promotion to Premier in the early 90's.

Should be INTEResting to see what players stay with the 30 man Inter sqaud and who leaves for greener pastures.

Rumour has it that a certain young "All Star" from the Capitals could be on the move to a new team next year, but they have all kinds of scoring with Larsson up front.

Lastly, Slurrey United in an attempt to save money for the Trip back east to Nationals, have rented a Old School bus for the Journey, they are now taking applications for a Driver/Trainer/Physio/Beer man Job.

HOS

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fresh off the Slurrey lot...

I knew KNVB was dutch but who's the other guy?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: HOS NO play for P. 96ers

Originally posted by Hands of Stone
they are now taking applications for a Driver/Trainer/Physio/Beer man Job.

Forgot one, Clean-Up man/ First Aid Dude.

That bus is way too nice for Slurrey, they need one like the boys in Slapshot, "I'm trying to make it look mean" knvb with a sledgehammer to the bus.

The team could get a few games on the way back east, just don't put your gas money on the line.

HOS

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've heard the Fireman/Toon rumour, but who's going to coach the squad. After the melee at the end of Fireman's last game, word has it that Gary Wilson may not be back. On another note, I have it on good authority that a team associated with Wilson's past has been in serious negotiations for his services this year.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Columbus FC

Originally posted by Hands of Stone
I think they were relegated at or near the same time Inter gained promotion to Premier in the early 90's.

HOS

Very true, as I was a part of it.....
Playing for Columbus in Premier was very difficult, as we very often had ten players show up for the games. Not exactly what I thought a dynasty would be like.
What a difference a year made, as in Div 1 we still had many of the veteran players.....but, once in Premier they left for O-30's and left us to field teams of 10 guys....needless to say we often got spanked.
Once the demotion was confirmed, many players were already eyeing a tranfer to Inter (although, the Captian may not be aware, I was heavily considering a tranfer to Club I!:eek: )

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peg

Here's the scoop for our squad in the upcoming season:

VMSL Premier
VMSL 1 div Cat
VMSL 2 dic Cat
VMSL U21

Concerning the Firemen/Toons stuff... isn't there an O35's team as well that is involved with the SFC/SYSA "deal" last year?

Cheers,

~Regs.

revolutionary

May 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
O35's

Regs

I dont think that the O35's were involved in the deal. As far as i know the O35's have too many good players to only have one team so they split up into Valley and Vancouver Firemen. But for this i am unsure???

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I haven't personally confirmed this but rumour has it that North Van Parks has taken the use of Kinsmen away from Peg... Supposedly our home games will be played mainly on Friday nights on the turf at Carson Graham :mad:

No Kinsmen Stadium in the VMSL Premier. That sucks. I'm a bit biased but it's the best venue in the premier to play at :rolleyes:

Cheers,

~Regs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0