Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who supports HEU!

Do you support the HEU?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
Stepchild, I did mean to put teachers and the like into that as well.

Honest question: Why can't they have tiered system. Teachers (for example) level 1 pay, Janitors and Cafeteria staff Level 2. Same as hospital. Doctors 1, nurses 2, orderlies, kitchen, janitors etc 3 ...

????
Tiered system would be a great solution with the insertion of a grandfather clause.
My 2 cents............ years ago the medical profession (MD's) was making huge $ (80's to mid 90's). The MD's got greedy and noted that other practitioners (DC's, Dentists, etc) were making huge $'s as well. Since this became a competitive market with the rise of alternative medicine, MD's looked to fukc everyone else. The short term result was that they got capped on patient visits per day and took a $ loss as a result. Years passed and the MD's bitched again, this time they got their wish at the expense of other healing fields. This was 2001 when everyone got booted out of MSP. Ex. Chiro's, Accupuncture, Physio, Dentists, Optomotry, etc. Lots of jobs were lost and many businesses went bankrupt. This is a different situation, but the same cut brought on by the gov. It is for this reason that I cannot support the HEU, our non-union professions took a huge kick in the ass and no one stood up for us. I don't like what they are doing at all, but I am not going to support cooks and janitors for an overpaid job that an independent company can do for less. Tier the system and make room for those that should be paid well, not waste $ on basic jobs that can be done for less.
Yell as you please, but I too am getting worked by the loving gov. and have to deal with it.
Sorry, carry on!

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll support the cause.

This isn't about janitors, kitchen workers and security guards getting paid too much. They've already been laid off. They don't have their jobs anymore. It's about Pharmacy assistants, Records Clerks, Accountants, Purchasers, Electricians, Plumbers...who were getting a fair wage and had 15% knocked off in a very disrespectful way. The United Nations already made an official protest about the way this Liberal gov't ripped up the Heu contract over a year ago...

Although, I don't think a 15% roll back in wages is too much, especially with the benefits package they have. The tax difference will make it a small difference in the take home pay but, why would anybody just sit back and take it? There are ways that contracts are done that are acceptable and then there are ways the Liberals are doing it.

The way the Liberals are legislating these contracts and basically doing whatever they want is wrong.

BTW, The private company’s that took over Security and house keeping are still charging the gov’t $18/ $20 an hour per worker and paying them around $10 an hour. The rest is profit and the savings to gov’t are minimal. So what the Liberals really accomplished was to make thousands of people poorer and help private company’s (foreign) make a profit at the tax payers expense… and have our tax dollars leave the province and country.

cside17

Better Bastard
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank you Ballbaby!

Regs, the offer we had last year was rejected by 57%, not 57% voted! The reason it was voted down is; The Island heath region and the North health region, told employees they would not be contracting out work. Therefore those people thought they should vote no!Ehy should we take a pay cut The rest of the province far out numbers, the lower mainland. Each facility/local gets one vote, there are so many little facilities outside greater vancouver, that we didn't stand a chance. There are 6 locals on the North Shore, five voted in favour, 1 against(LGH). Nanaimop has 8 locals, who all voted no, that vote cancelled out North and West Van, even though we have twice the amount of members! By the way I voted yes, because I wanted the job security!

I will add more later, but have to go back to the picket line.

Thank you all for the support, much appreciated.

Those that don't support us, I hope you never have an illness in your family, use birth control, as you don't want your wife delivering in our hospitals. I would hate in the future on here to have to say I told you so! As there will be a hospital horror story, onm here sooner or later.

Solidarity forever!!!!

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
I read yesterday something about less than 50 percent of this union bothered to come out and vote on the contract that was negotiated last year, an agreement that was in turn, rejected (by only 57%).

If your own membership can't be fcuked to care, why should I?
~Gordo.

Regs,

You seem to be a fairly intelligent fella. It is for this reason I am a little surprised at your comments. Having mentioned this point twice now, it seems to be the basis for your arguement. Don't believe everything you read. You've gotta know that the government has some backdoor influence on the media, and can therefor get the message they want out through them. Campbell continues to downplay this whole thing, trying to brainwash the public by maintaining that the bulk of the members affected are overpaid laundry workers, and toilet cleaners. This is simply NOT the case. In fact, the laundry workers have long since been dismissed of their duties and the govt. has been sending hospital laundrey to Alberta to try to cut costs. :confused: I have a close relative who is currently on the picket line at Surrey Memorial. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that within the lines are Lab Techs, Engineers and many other highly qualified, professional people. I think Ballbaby said it best in his eloquent post. It's time to stand up to this dictatorship, and let Campbell know that we won't fall for his BS.

The CUPE workers in Surrey will be out in support of HEU workers on Monday, and the we Teachers will happily honour picket lines as well. This isn't about waiving the union flag as much as it is about standing up for what's right.

~Skip

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
what argument is being made? i don't think the so called argument put forth has anything to do with the right or wrong of the gov't tearing up contracts or the privatization of health care. the way i read regs post (and fully agree) is that a union membership that only manages a 50% turnout for contract is an indictment both on the membership and the union leaders.
the union "leader" is on tv several times throughout the day. why has he not refuted the less than 50% turnout for the original contract offer?
notwithstanding the above, i fully support the heu in this cause. hi mom! :D

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
"The Leafs have not won a 2nd round series when going down 2 games to none against their opponents since 1936" (a bullshite stat)

My point???

Stats are meaningless in some cases, and often miscalculated, and misinterpreted. I could give a fukc if 20% of the members voted on the new contract! I-fukcing-rrelevant in my mind. The point is, Campbell and his govt. are working their way through a very scary agenda, and it's time to tell him to stuff it.

TheGreenparty'slookingrealgoodaboutnow :eek:

cside17

Better Bastard
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
$6570.00 kick in the balls. That's what this imposed contract, is costing me for a year. I am a skilled/trained worker, and I deserve every penny of what I earn, and should receive more!

The worse thing about this legislation, will be for the FIRED kitchen employees, as o f today they have 15 shifts left to work. The govt, will be docking there next chque 15%, plus it's retroactive to Apr 1st, they also will have a small chq, as a result of not working this past week. But they all walked the picket line this week, even though our local executive, said they could work and make as much money as possible! Only those deemed essential went to work. They realize this is bigger than, over paid "jello stirrers, and toilet cleaners. It's about respect, and being able to earn a decent living. HEU has been around for 60 yrs, and have fought for pay equity for women since day 1. I did some stat crunching today on the picket line.

On May 21st 54 kitchen employees will be fired in my facility

46 of them are women.
12 of them are single mom's
1 is a single dad.
23 employees have been there since the facility opend 23yrs ago. And qualify for a supperanuation pension.

One lady, will be 4 days short of 10yrs, which you need to qualify for severance pay. She has never phoned in sick since she has been there, and has a large sick pay bank(we get 40% sick time payout with severance or retirement). She is out, without a nickel of severance. By the way, she's a single mom with 2 kids. Destined for welfare!

How does all this help our economy?

Aramark, is the company that replaced our fired housekeepers! They make $10.00hr, the janitor works 2 full time jobs, his wife works fulltime, and also has a part time job. He say's they can go 3 days without even seeing one another, never mind getting laid! They have to do this to make there mortgage pymt.

That's not right! Everyone should get laid, I mean make a decent wage!!!

Campbell and co are assholes, this was done mean spirited! It's mean't to break our union! But we may bend, but we won't break. It seems that we are getting more and more support. Monday should prove interesting, and this province could be shut down by Wednesday!

csideisreallytiredfromwalkingroundandroundbutwilldoitaslongasittakes!!!!!!!!!!

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The 20% or so that voted on the first contract is an important number, it goes to show how much apathy is in the labour movement today. But there are a few problems with that stat. First, with any vote, you are lucky to get 30% - 40z% out becuase people are so busy with thier lives allready and the fact that people often think thier vote won't make a difference.
Second, the Liberal governemt split the Union by saying that it was only the un-skilled workers that would get a pay cut and all the skilled worked force would be fine. Well it doesn't look that way does it.

But now the Liberals have rammed Bill 37 through in the middle of the night, and the workers are supposed to roll over and take it, no thank-you.

The Labour Movement of B.C. is protesting this for not only HEU members but also every workier in this Province, Mr. Regs would not make what he does per hour if it was not Unions setting the level of pay through-out history, we would all be heading to work for our 6 day work week today, if not for Unions, and Our children would still be in the coal mines if not for Unions.

This is why it is very important for all workers to take a stand and protest this government next week, Monday is goind to be a dooosy.

HOS on his Union built Soap Box.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But there are a few problems with that stat. First, with any vote, you are lucky to get 30% - 40z% out becuase people are so busy with thier lives allready and the fact that people often think thier vote won't make a difference.
They have time to vote now don't they?

HOS, I'm with you man, but this is so flawed.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
cside17 said:
I am a skilled/trained worker, and I deserve every penny of what I earn, and should receive more!!!!!!!!!!!
What makes you more special than all the other qualified people who cannot get jobs due to unionized companies. They too are unemployed, why not support them?

vratar

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too many Unionized gov't employees + Too many politicians + Too many beaurocrats = high taxes for everyone(Income & consumption taxes)

BTW, This will go to arbitration anyways like it usually does. So the big loser here will be the taxpayer like always. The cause of the problem has to be the federal government. It is obvious with the transfer cutbacks for healthcare this initiative was well thought out in Ottawa. The inevitable solution will be the closure of hospitals, privatization of certain hospital employees and eventually unafforable MSP premiums for many middle class taxpayers. The bottom line here is the middle class taxpayer will continue to subsidize the chronie(sp) system in this country.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You got it, you wanted it, what abou t your post, post your coed naked dance? beautiful by the way...

If there wasn't ever a dream, Travis would be the money... Good showing Regs, Notty and HOS...and travi by the way... R-E-S-P-E-C-T-pasta penne, M-O-N-E-Y :wa:

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Monday should prove interesting, and this province could be shut down by Wednesday!

This is brilliant, so in order to sort out your greviance with the Gov't the rest of us have to be used like pawns for a few days. I'm suprised that the Ferries are still running, there obviously has'nt been any dropped hats in the province for the last few days.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am proud to say until further notice all the buses and skytrain are shut down on Monday.

Proud CUPE 7000 member.

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
We should all set our own selfish inconveniences aside for this breif period of time, and realize it's all for a much greater cause.

The more that gets shut down now, the larger and more convincing the voice of the public is. Hopefully, the result will be quicker movement by the govt. in realizing they simply can't bully the province the way they have.

There is strength in numbers

~Skip

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well this portion of the public has had it up to here with these fcuking strikes :mad:

I work just as hard as the next guy so don't give me that bullshit anymore. And I feel the exact same way now as I did when listening to the teachers rhetoric... Union leadership tends to pick the best case studies and paint their entire membership with the same brush.

For example, how many teachers out there actually contribute extra-curricular services? 5%? 10%?

How many of the HEU members are actually mothers with 7 kids, no husband, and can hardly speak english? Cside17, how weeks of paid vacation do YOU get, 7 weeks? 8 weeks? 9 weeks? Would you be willing to give up 1 week or 2 if it meant saving a couple of jobs?

Cranky from the heat,

~Regs.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Well this portion of the public has had it up to here with these fcuking strikes :mad:

I work just as hard as the next guy so don't give me that bullshit anymore. And I feel the exact same way now as I did when listening to the teachers rhetoric... Union leadership tends to pick the best case studies and paint their entire membership with the same brush.

For example, how many teachers out there actually contribute extra-curricular services? 5%? 10%?

How many of the HEU members are actually mothers with 7 kids, no husband, and can hardly speak english? Cside17, how weeks of paid vacation do YOU get, 7 weeks? 8 weeks? 9 weeks? Would you be willing to give up 1 week or 2 if it meant saving a couple of jobs?

Cranky from the heat,

~Regs.

You need a vacation Regs. :D

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Selfish inconveniences, come off it. You have no resolution in sight, so you do what unions do, and try to "bully" thier message across. As Cpt Shampoo would sat, Kettle this is pot. Have a nice holiday, i'll be at work.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0