Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Results & Banter December 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Continue on as you were... is there a movement offline for club stakeholders to meet as a group this month?

With 6 teams tied for first, I'd really like to know the answer to the question I posed last week: What are the tiebreakers for getting into the super league?

When are teams going to start throwing games in order to not be the chosen few? :D

browncrow

Nov 11, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
can we start a new thread for the "alleged" new league. i prefer reading posts analyzing richmond's performances and mr.base's color commentary. lets start with everyone's perception that the vmsl is this great league that has so many good teams fighting for top spot. i for one will look at the realistic side of things and tell you that all is not well. yes the standings are close which makes results each week that much more exciting, but the fact remains the only change is results. the product on and off the pitch is the same just in different jerseys each season. there are a couple younger kids that do well and show they are capable of something more, and a few veterans that show using your brain and finesse are still more important than speed and agility. wait a couple years when guys in their mid to late 30's start retiring and playing in lower divisions, there will be a loud call for reform and for a new "bc super league", as we all know its the old timers that make the real impact in this league and not the young kids who get the glory. lets hope for the league's sake that those kids grow up and learn to lead and play the game properly.

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
pretty sure there already is a BCPL thread....just seems like the "super league" gets the most action in these threads....

Seems to me, the younger kids are a lot more focussed on playing college and university ball, than full time in the VMSL, and will probably be the same for the BCPL. Sure they come on half way through the season and cause a little headache. However, by the time they are full timers they arent really that "young" anymore.

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Until someone directs me to another thread, I guess I have to post about the Super League here.

As to the notion that the VMSL clubs have agreed to subsidize the Island team's travel, I can say absolutely not. This was not raised at either the organizational meeting or at the AGM. I think there would have been a riot if we had been asked to pay for the Island clubs to travel.

In fact, I asked at both meetings whether WE, as VMSL clubs, would be compensated for travel, i.e. grant from BC Soccer or from the VMSL. This was one of the many "details" we were told to expect later.

I am deeply troubled that a newspaper article from the Island has more details about this league than has been given to the member clubs.

I think it is horrible to just blindly say that these sponsors and funding issues will be worked out in the next few years...

We need to know how this will be paid for next fall, not a few years from now.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm still waiting for this answer.....how is this going to give B.C. a better chance of winning National Championships at the AMATEUR level? That is one of the objectives is it not? :confused:

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think anyone on this sight knows the answer to that Captain.

I always thought that's what Provincial cup was about. I can't wait to see how much it will cost to register teams and players in this league, and no I am not saying that Delta will make it, just curious. If a great team makes it but don't have the funding so they pass does it still make it the best league to play in?

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone on this site know what number Johnny Sulentic wore against Delta??? :rolleyes: Weak Rob, very weak!!!!

:bronco:

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
With 6 teams tied for first, I'd really like to know the answer to the question I posed last week: What are the tiebreakers for getting into the super league?

the answer:

According to Section 4 of the VMSL By-laws, the following formula will be used, in case of a tie in the final standings, to determine which teams will qualify for the BC Premier Soccer League.

1) In the event two teams are tied for fourth place, a play-off game will be played. The game will be played on a neutral ground, with extra time periods, and penalty kicks if necessary.

2) In the event three or more teams are tied, the following formula will be used to break the tie:

(a) Total points in games played among tied teams.
(b) Goal difference (goals for minus goals against) in games played among tied teams.
(c) Goal average (goals for divided by goals against) in games played among tied teams.
(d) Goal difference in all games played.
(e) Goal average in all games played.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its nice that the vmsl premier teams have aggreed to subsidize The VISL teams travel costs even though they haven't agreed to the new league

FCN

Jan 25, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain...this new BC league will not give BC a better chance at winning a national championship. The competition might be marginally better but the teams will remain essentially the same.
The answer to a BC team winning a national championship I think rests with the clubs affiliating with or taking on some responsibility for development at the youth level. There has to be a passion for the game developed at the youth level and the kids have to develop a loyalty to the club and feel there is a place to play in their club beyond youth. The goals of the youth should perhaps be to play with the first team no matter at what level and then there should be a common goal of the club getting a team playing at the top level. That will foster the competition needed to develop the players and teams required to develop a national champion from BC. Clubs like Richmond, Surrey and Metro Ford I think I think are on the right track.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone on this site know what number Johnny Sulentic wore against Delta??? :rolleyes: Weak Rob, very weak!!!!

Wow you are weak man trying to start something I tell you what we'll finish this conversation in person unless you delete your post and reply pm. There was no protest put in by me or Delta for the record ask the VMSL.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I tell you what we'll finish this conversation in person unless you delete your post and reply pm.

First of all, I do not respond to threats. Second, I did not suggest you did anything. All I did was ask a question.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain...this new BC league will not give BC a better chance at winning a national championship. The competition might be marginally better but the teams will remain essentially the same.
The answer to a BC team winning a national championship I think rests with the clubs affiliating with or taking on some responsibility for development at the youth level. There has to be a passion for the game developed at the youth level and the kids have to develop a loyalty to the club and feel there is a place to play in their club beyond youth. The goals of the youth should perhaps be to play with the first team no matter at what level and then there should be a common goal of the club getting a team playing at the top level. That will foster the competition needed to develop the players and teams required to develop a national champion from BC. Clubs like Richmond, Surrey and Metro Ford I think I think are on the right track.

FCN,

Clubs are taking on some responsibility for developing youth players but there are a couple of issues...first of all, not every vmsl premier team is associated with a large club that has youth players. But, more importantly, the path for player development does not focus on club soccer, especially men's amateur senior soccer!!! This is a key point. Yes, players are identified at an early age initially through their youth clubs but then it is the provincial program, the national training centre, regional training centre, the local professional team's youth programs, and even the private academies that do the development...as it should be!!! The mens and womens senior club teams are more of a "landing ground" for former professionals, former college/university players, former provincial and national level players, and long-time amateur players...all of which enjoy the game.

The vmsl, fvsl, and visl are all amateur leagues for men...full of players that are, for the most part, far beyond development and focussed more on playing a high level of soccer, having a few pints and some laughs with their mates after the game, and not having to commit too much time to the cause because they have other priorities. I'm not saying the game doesn't matter to these players because once the whistle blows, nothing could matter more and the games and rivalries are fierce....but the goal of these leagues is not to "develop players".

Anyway, we have been told that the main goal of the BCPL is to "improve the status of soccer in BC", which makes no sense to me. Are we saying that by posting the BCPL standings in the local papers or doubling the crowd from 25 to 50 will make everyone feel better about the game and put the sport on the map in this province? Seems more to me like an ego stroke for amateur soccer. The status of soccer in BC is going to be improved dramatically with the MLS in 2011....imagine that, a professional team that can actually afford to take flights all over North America, never mind 3 or 4 ferry rides to the island with 5 or 6 guys that can't make it because they have to work that day and 2 more who miss the ferry because they were out partying the night before.

The level of play in BC should be measured by the performace of our provincial teams and our ability to generate players for our national team and professional teams at home and abroad. How our senior amateur teams perform at the national championship level is very important to the teams that qualify but should this be one of the speculative reasons for destroying the 3 amateur leagues? I believe the majority of players in all of these leagues are more interested in sticking with their mates than trying to get a small ego stroke or sacrificing what they currently enjoy so that we can maybe, just maybe, earn more national amateur championships.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Where is the question in this? You mention my name in this how would you take it? Where did you even hear this?

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
[QUOTEWhere is the question in this?QUOTE]

The part of the sentence that has these (??) after it.:D

Rob, chill out. I didn't say you did anything. I asked you because you are the manager of Delta. Union business has you very stressed these days.

Notice the :rolleyes after the question? (By the way, there's that question mark thingy again) It's called sarcasm. If you're going to get your panties in a knot every time someone has a go at you, this probably isn't the site for you. It comes with the territory, especially because you're a union guy, and manage a team with Millar on it! :p

kumbaya

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Further, I in no way intended to implicate you did anything wrong.

lastpostfromme!

vancitysbest

Mar 28, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Blah Blah Blah. "superleague" this, "superleague" that. Just let it happen.

While you guys have been blabbering about the "superleague" you have missed what is happening in the background.

Alleyezonme has been so quiet on TTP recently b/c he has created his own league next year.

Every team will wear Arsenal kits, have their own personal Asian Physio (waist-to-hip ratio of between 0.67 and 0.80 and 36 24 36 accordingly) strictly enforced for the physios. All matches will be played at Westview Park in North Delta, and the player of the week will get "one G.I.B winter ale" to share for his team.

Back to VMSL game action this Friday night at Andy Livingstone between SUFF and Croatia. News is apparently the "safe injection" site has moved 6 meters off the sideline to accommodate the players and spectators. Pigeon park residents are in a uproar, so expect protests and various pop can throwing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0