Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Predictions, Results & Banter 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WFC 3 - Richmond 1

Little late on the game report but here goes.

We started brightly and created some decent opportunities inside the opening 20-25 minutes, with their keeper making a couple notable saves, but just we just couldn't convert. IMO Westside seemed content on chasing down hopeful through balls. Getting a foul called against us, and the subsequent free kick curled and bounced into the far post as neither team got a touch on it. First attempt on goal and we're down 1-nil, staying that way until the half.

We again started the second half brightly, and kept creating, but couldn't seem to force the ball over the line, again with the Westside GK making a couple notable saves, and their back line throwing themselves in front of everything it seemed. We managed to get the leveler with 30 min to go, off a scramble in the box off of a corner. From there we we pushed for the winner, but gave up a quick counter down our right side, ball was knocked in to the far post, and headed home with 10 to go. They got their 3rd with basically the last kick of the game.

Credit to Westside, they played hard and in the end got the rewards, but we felt we created enough opportunities that we should have gone on and won that game.

This way my first experience playing out at Musqueam turf and found the pitch quite narrow. I understand that playing at this level, any player should be able to play in tight spaces and all, but when the edge of 18 yard box is 8 yards from the touch line, you know something ain't right.

On to Inter tomorrow night.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yah that field is terrible. Massive home field advantage to them. Hasn't all their points come at home on that Youth field?
Like west Vans Friday night 7:30 kick off. Massive advantage.

I think we are going to create a little homefield of our own. Slanted in our favour both halves with hydrolics, and wind machines. Let alone the 7:15 kick off and you have to hike 20 min to get to the field. Perhaps we can get a few points that way. ;) it's needed. Trust me.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Credit to Westside, they played hard and in the end got the rewards, but we felt we created enough opportunities that we should have gone on and won that game.

Seems to be a common theme so far this season, and the table backs that up. Looks like just about anyone can beat anyone on any day, and moreover, teams that are coming away on the short end are thinking that they surely could have had, not just one, but all three points.

Should keep things interesting and entertaining if this is maintained all season!

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wait ALL twelve teams are playing this weekend...surely somebody will chime in with a PPD...

West Van v Rovers Tigers
MOTW right out of the gate here as second plays third. At this point first seems almost beyond reach even though it's not yet November. That being said if West Van is going to catch Coquitlam, surely they need to start hitting the levels of perfect that Metro Ford are displaying, beginning this week. One has to think that any title ambitions Tigers had coming into the season have faded to nothing more than a glow at this point. Should they wish to rekindle the embers however, a win to track down second place West Van is a must. Enter Friday night. With West Van coming off that massive loss to Coquitlam and Tigers having gotten back on song against bottom of the table Columbus, both teams should be highly motivated. So far this season Tigers have yet to make a real statement and beat a top club, in form. That's enough to tip the scales towards the boys at the foot of the mountains in my opinion. Add that to the earlier North Shore kick off and I'll back the West Van lads for the points.

Chile v Columbus
Chile are back after a week off with their last action having come when they were, by all accounts, pushed to the edge by a 10 man Westside team. Columbus however are in a complete tailspin and will need to get their finger out in a hurry to avoid losing touch with the pack and dooming themselves to another trip down to Div 1. EDC has been far from convincing this season, so there is certainly an opportunity to get something out of this one for the Italians. Based on their recent form however, I have no idea where that little bit of extra quality is going to come from. Could they get the points? I think they are there for the taking. Will they? I just can't see it at the moment. I'll say the Chileans have that little bit extra to make the difference in those big moments when games are won or lost.

Metro Ford v Croatia
Not much to analyze here as it's just the latest installment of "Can anyone stop Coquitlam?" Chances of it being bottom dwelling Croatia this week are slim I reckon. Still, stranger things have happened, that is after all why we play the games. No chance I'm betting against the Tri Cities lads though.

Pegasus v Westside
Westside showed once more that their home field actually does give them an advantage with an impressive showing last time out, beating Richmond. Back on the road this week out to Surrey to face the Provincial Champions who dispelled rumors of them losing a step last weekend, polishing off North Delta 3-0. The Westsiders are clearly up for it at this level and have thus far enjoyed more success than their promotion cousins, but I have to think this should be straight forward for Peg at home.

Inter v North Delta
A case of teams heading in opposite directions as Inter's midweek make-up win over Richmond has vaulted them into the top four. Meanwhile, North Delta are struggling at the moment after making a decent start to life at this level. Only one point in their last five, but more concerning has to be their goal difference over that span, having only scored 3 while allowing 15. I've heard rumors that goalkeeping is an issue for the boys South of the river and heading in to face a hot team who look to be rounding into form after their traditional slow start is the last thing ND need at the moment. I take Inter to keep it rolling at home.

Richmond v Pacific
Richmond will be looking to avoid a third loss in one week when they host Pacific Saturday. Another defeat would be a real kick to the stomach for a team that found themselves in the top four this time last week. Pacific too have fallen out of the top four by virtue of being idle last weekend and are no doubt hungry to get back in. Pacific had won two straight before their week off and while there is potential that the break has cooled their form, you would have to think they are still the hot hand in the one. That being said, I just can't see Richmond losing three games in seven days. I'll hedge and call this one a draw.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hearing rumors that Coquitlam Metro Ford will be presented with the league trophy at their next home game... In the meantime, here's my predictions for this week:

Croatia v West Van
No idea why or how the wheels have fallen off in Croatia's world, but they are barreling head on towards a complete tire fire the way they are going at the moment. West Van obviously want to be in a position to pounce, should Coquitlam ever falter, so I expect them to do the business on the road Friday night.

Rovers v EDC
Chile dusted off bottom of the table Columbus last time out, while Rovers were involved in a two vs three stalemate out in West Van. Only one win in four for the vaunted Tigers and that too came against Columbus, so you just feel like they are due for a break out. Chile have allowed 16 goals over 7 games so you have to fancy Rovers finding the net in this one and if their offence is able to kick into gear these guys can be lethal. Chile have lots of offensive weapons themselves, but if the teams are going to be trading chances I think EDC might be bringing a knife to a gun fight. I'll take Rovers to win a good old fashioned shootout.

Pacific v Pegasus
Two likely ornery teams, who find themselves coming off losses, meet in what will be a home game for both squads. Pacific were no doubt disappointed to fall to Richmond last week, but surely Pegasus never expected to lose at home to Westside. Despite having two games in hand over the majority of the teams above them, Peg, one assumes, are less than satisfied to see themselves sitting ninth in the table as we turn the calendar to November. Meanwhile, rumours that the answer to the question @dezza is always asking (Which team will get the largest influx of UBC varsity players?) seems to be Pacific. Those reinforcements are still a couple of weeks away, so for now I think Peg flexes some muscle in a close one at Newton Athletic.

Columbus v Richmond
They just can't stop the bleeding at the moment at Columbus. These two teams did meet last season in the Imperial Cup when the then high flying Div 1 Italians knocked off a sputtering Richmond side. Fast forward 6 months and the script going into this weekend could not be more different. Richmond have had a solid start to the season and were as high as fourth place until back to back losses allowed the pack to catch up and, in some instances, over take them. Columbus, for their part, look entirely listless rooted to the foot of the table. I'll take Richmond to heap more misery onto the Italian's plates at Empire.

North Delta v Metro Ford
Two more teams who I believe met in the Imperial cup last season. Coquitlam had no trouble seeing off ND then and, given their current cruise control situation, I can't see them stumbling at this time of asking. North Delta showed good spirit to scrap it out for a point against Inter in their last match and there's no reason at all to think these lads are planning on throwing in the towel just because Prem has not gone the way they would have imagined. That being said, this week they are most likely just another installment of the "Can Metro Ford win every game this season?" experiment.

Westside v Inter
Well who would have picked this to be a match up of 4th vs. 5th when the season started? This one I think has to be the MOTW because of where these teams are in the standings and for the fact that I believe Inter are the last visiting team to win at Musqeum, defeating the Westsiders this past season during, you guessed it, the Imperial Cup. Much has been written of the "advantage" that Westside have playing at home, but Inter have had recent success on this ground, so no reason to think that will be a factor this week. Westside became the latest team to take advantage of the win two games in a row and shoot up the table situation currently prevailing in the VMSL's top flight and they proved they could get a result away from Musqeum with their impressive win in Surrey against Peg last time out. These teams are very familiar with each other having been relegated together, then promoted together and then playing the past two seasons in the cup, despite being in different divisions. Should be a good one on Sunday, Westside, as mentioned, are coming off a win while Inter are unbeaten in three, though they did share the points with ND last weekend. I think it could go either way here and I will refuse to get off the fence and say this one ends in a draw.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pacific v Pegasus
Two likely ornery teams, who find themselves coming off losses, meet in what will be a home game for both squads. Pacific were no doubt disappointed to fall to Richmond last week, but surely Pegasus never expected to lose at home to Westside. Despite having two games in hand over the majority of the teams above them, Peg, one assumes, are less than satisfied to see themselves sitting ninth in the table as we turn the calendar to November. Meanwhile, rumours that the answer to the question @dezza is always asking (Which team will get the largest influx of UBC varsity players?) seems to be Pacific. Those reinforcements are still a couple of weeks away, so for now I think Peg flexes some muscle in a close one at Newton Athletic.

Christ, someone should probably inform those kids they are joining a club which is suspended for the next 2 years!!

from https://www.bcsoccer.net/discipline:
Code:
Name                            Role                       Sanction Length & Dates                       Sanction Details & Notes
Pacific United Football Club    Affiliated Soccer Club   2 Years (Nov 1, 2016 to Nov 1, 2018 inclusive)    Suspended from All Soccer Related Activity

tremy-1

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Christ, someone should probably inform those kids they are joining a club which is suspended for the next 2 years!!

from https://www.bcsoccer.net/discipline:
Code:
Name                            Role                       Sanction Length & Dates                       Sanction Details & Notes
Pacific United Football Club    Affiliated Soccer Club   2 Years (Nov 1, 2016 to Nov 1, 2018 inclusive)    Suspended from All Soccer Related Activity

FYI
One other exemption from the club suspension is the adult teams currently registered and participating in the VMSL for the 2016—2017 season. These teams will not be placed under any sanction and are permitted to operate independently for the remaining of the 2016-2017 season.

wednesday

Jun 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Columbus 0 Rmd 1
Ripper free kick from 18 at 10th min. Columbus unlucky not to tie 30 minutes later. Chances at both ends in second half. Good job by officials

Crazy-K

Feb 22, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
Huge result for the Croatians, much needed.

Any more info/game report??

West van got the first goal and hit the post about 5 min later. That was about it for them Croatia took over with a nice goal just inside the box. It was 1-1 at half about 10 min into the second Croatia took the lead with the terrible decision wast van goalie made by coming out of his net passed the ball to his defencmen which lost the ball to a young croati player he hit it from about 30 yards out open net goalie nowhere to be seen. West van fought back last 10 hitting the cross bar but Croatia held them of for the 2-1 victory.

Both team fought strong west van look good like they usually do. Croatia looks extremely young And talented definelty should be in the position they are in.

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Croatia over West Van, didn't see that coming.

As Wednesday said, we managed to get all 3 points on Saturday afternoon out at Empire.

Not the most entertaining game from either side but the end result is all that matters. We took the lead from the above mentioned free kick early on, and for the most part, felt in control of the game. Some sloppy distribution and change of possession across our 18 almost proved costly but disaster was adverted with a timely save. Second half is more of the same, both teams going back and forth creating half chances, but I felt we were the more dangerous side, just unable to capitalize properly, which has been an ongoing issue it seems so far this season. I thought Columbus relied heavily on set pieces, as they didn't have any pace throughout their squad other then the small lad on their right side in the first half. A late effort from Poli from 30 yards out hit the bar in the last 5 minutes but that was as close as they got.

Looking forward to returning to our old stomping grounds, McNair Park in Richmond against Rovers on Saturday for our only game on grass all season. Unless @LION switches Delsom out for Westview...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
This week:

West Van v EDC
West Van were stunned by Croatia last time out, so the question now turns to how will they respond? Surely the league title is now out of reach (12 points back, assuming Coquitlam wins there game in hand) so what is West Van's approach to the remainder of the season? Is there pride in fighting for second? Or is it a case of make sure you get everyone some minutes and develop younger players ahead of the cup competitions? EDC have essentially gone to form this season, beating teams below them and losing to teams above them in the table. Assuming West Van isn't busy wallowing, I'll suggest that form continues and the former Trollers get the points on home turf.

Croatia v North Delta
It's an early season relegation six pointer as Croatia look to follow up their impressive win on the North Shore. Surely if the Eastern Europeans can make it two on the trot they will finally start to have some breathing space on the relegation battle. That being said, given Croatia's struggles, North Delta must see this as an opportunity to pick up their first win since opening day. The South Fraser boys have chipped in a few draws, but nothing replaces that winning feeling and they could sorely use a dose of that just now. Not to mention that a loss will leave them fully four points away from safety. At the moment though, the fact that ND is just bleeding goals (another 3 shipped to Coquitlam last time out) while scoring the fewest in the league (only 7 in 9 games and they've been kept off the score sheet altogether 4 times) is not a recipe for success. I think Croatia ride the wave of their win over West Van to three more points this week.

Metro Ford v Westside
Another stop on the VMSL Champion Coronation Tour. This time Westside comes to town after a hard fought loss to Inter at home last time out. Maybe the law of averages catches up with Coquitlam at some point, but it seems even without their strongest line up they are still able to win without getting out of second gear. Certainly if they are to lose a game this season, based on the soccer gods conspiring against them or whatever else it may take, I am sure they would rather it be during the season than say, oh, the Provincial Final. If and when they do lose I doubt anyone will see it coming, I'm certainly not about to pick against them.

Pegasus v Columbus
By all accounts Columbus have strengthened somewhat and almost took points off Richmond last time out. The games though are melting off the calendar and, as we approach the half way mark, the Italians are rooted to the bottom of the table with 4 points from 9 games, all off teams that were in Div 1 last season. The performances may be improving, but it would seem there is some distance still to go to reach competitiveness and then respectability. Can they take a step further in that direction this weekend? It's possible, but I doubt Peg are in the mood. Last time out at home Westside stole the points and I doubt the Surrey lads will be caught off guard again. They took the boots to Pacific last weekend, I would expect something similar against Columbus this week.

Inter v Pacific
It was a big, hard fought win for Inter at Westside last Sunday and that made it 10 out of 12 points since a loss to Metro Ford. That form has launched Inter to a tie for second place (though they are still working on clawing back some early season goal difference). Pacific are an erratic bunch, with their performances and results being tough to predict. They are definitely a threat, but I think Inter are quietly confident about picking up some silverware somewhere along the way this season. In contrast, Pacific seem closer to a surprise relegation fight and could find themselves teetering on the edge of the drop zone after this weekend's action. Should be a good game Saturday at Empire, but I think the home team's good form continues with a win.

Richmond v Rovers
On grass presumably because of long weekend tournament conflicts on the turf...? Regardless this one is the MOTW as third plays fifth. Rovers followed up their strong showing at Ambleside, where they drew West Van, with a comfortable win over Chile last week. The Surrey boys have rebounded from a slight dip in form by picking up 7 of the last 9 points on offer. Tigers, of course, boast the league's top goal scorer in the ever dangerous Nick Soolsma, who continues to lead the way having netted an impressive 9 times in 9 games. Richmond posted back to back victories after losing two in a row and come into this match with confidence. This one sets up nicely, but then what factor, if any, does the grass play? I would suggest that history shows us a miserable November day in the muck favours a high tempo, hard working team like Richmond over a quick strike, high skill team like Rovers. There's lots of ways to look at this one and in the end I'll say it all saws off as these two teams split the points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0