Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL O40' league...thoughts and discussion

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thoughts and discussion on this delightful topic....we are all aging...do we really need to be chasing 35 yr olds??

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
There ya go Freddy...I started it....more views are welcome...no one under 40 need post their views...haha...

Cheers!

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Scottyshell. The trick here is commitment. I can say on behalf of Westside, we would field a team.

Hurdles to overcome here are:
1. Getting 6 teams
2. Being a part of VMSL so we continue rules, refs, fields, insurance, etc. (probably a big hurdle), but if 6 teams come marching now, there is no reason why this can't happen

Maybe we can extend it to North Shore lads and some of the Fraser View league?

It would be good if it was a CAT'ed league so people could play up and down as they had the opportunity.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
No promises, but I think our club can put a team in. The real Peg Old Boys have a team in that over 40 league now (so do Firemen and others I guess) but are not yet officially affiliated with our club. The reason is these grumpy old bastards refuse to give up the Pegasus name, and the VMSL won't let them be affiliated with us when Surrey Peg has that name, bought and paid for, out at NAP.

Maybe we could get Reedie to sign a waiver or something.

But I do think it is do-able for our club, definitely.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, I can honestly say this is the first time I have even contemplated it. This is truly a sad day. It happened. I got old in one day. All it took was a thread to open and it happened.

I'm gonna check my ball sack and measure the distance from the base of my roger to the one testicle everyday for the 2007-08 season. If it drops 1 inch, I will play O-40's. Of course, I will need at least 10 other players to perform this beta test........on themselves........of course. Anybody have a 25m tape measurer?

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Since I brought it up I'd say Firemen could field a team....it's tough to imagine but the level of play would be the same as we are all used to although a tiny bit slower???
I do agree with a CAT system although a "one way"..meaning if a guy wants to play O35...go for it...but no one under the age of 40 to come up...notice how I said "up"....harhar....what do you all think?

Cheers!

ps: and then we should have our league cup play downs in VEGAS!!

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree on the no under 40s. I am still not sure I understand why you can have three 32 years olds on the O35 team. I don't even think I know a 32 year old soccer player (although played against a number from Columbus).

As for the ball measurement, mine are still in hiding from Sunday's cold windy rainy game.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that the outlaw over 40s league allows 1 or 2 39 year olds. But I think you should be allowed to CAT back any over 40s guys back to the over 35s or else some over 35 teams would struggle and oppose this.

FRANCIS

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The previous year, as mentioned above by someone, 6 teams semi-committed and then jammed out when decision time arrived.

At the Master's meeting before the season started this year, it was discussed again. Once again about 6 teams said they would be in for next year (08/09). The Cat system would be used only for guys to go down to O35, with no underage players allowed. Bringing teams in from other leagues was also discussed, as was fields, etc. Teams seemed alot more interested this year than last year. I bet this goes next year, as everyone seemed quite positive about it. I recall Columbus, Firemen, Westside, an SFU team for sure were interested and I think maybe PCOV, Inter and a couple other division one teams, but don't quote me on that.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
It should be +42 year olds though, why cut it so close to +35's? I don't know anyone in their early 40's who can't compete physically if they work at it. Wait till you guys get in your late 40's though... sub!

Phatanslow

Oct 2, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
We could probably feild a team or two from the valley if the city teams didn't mind the travel. Maybe as far out as langley ? If this does look as if it may go please be sure to let the valley know..maybe a couple players would drive in if the league won't come out .

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Crossing a bridge constitutes a road trip...does it not? Some of us will call crossing city boundaries as road trips....hmmmm...road trip!!!

Cheers!

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
... Old Coot! did someone say old coot? ... some of those 40 year olds are like greased lightning, TV. How long till Mangela is 40, eh. The rules will soon be allowing one under 39... next you will want refs and big goals. I'm sticking to plinking!

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
P&P....NOW there is an idea! Golfing in Victoria and rooming at the Strath!!!!
THAT would be an expensive weekend of fun...er..soccer...what's that dear?..not in your life?...Oh really!.....

Cheers!

Sir M....get Jimmy E. on that will you!

badknees7

Sep 15, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm in Scottyshell!!! Enough of this crap 0-40's 'fun and fitness' league!!No standings,no refs,no fields lined.What is football all about?The *&!!% Cup man!!! Battle til the end.....and then drink a dozen cold ones!!

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the cut-off should be for those born on or before Sept 20, 1966. League and playoff winners could have two spots - one taken from the Fraser Valley and one played off against the NSCL.
I am sure there would be more than six teams interested with groups from the other divisions.
Perhaps even $$Man would want to buy a franchise.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0