Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

US Open 2008

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A little late, but word is he's a maniac at the gym, he bench presses 340 lbs for reps, thus the huge power he hits with.

I seriously doubt that Tiger benches that amount for reps. Not that he can't but it would be stupid training for his chosen sport....golf. The risk of injury at that weight outweighs the benefit. My opinion and experience.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Again, an athlete playing a leisure activity. If the rest of the guys had his drive to succeed, and spent as much time in the gym, they may be able to compete better.

Or maybe not. Take any individual sport, and you would not see a late 40ish or 50 something guy w/ a gut being able to compete for a championship w/ the fittest, strongest, fastest guy on the planet doing the same thing. Doesn’t happen.

I think any athlete w/ his mental fortitude could do extremely well in their chosen sport.

I have a hard time separating golf from curling, in terms of these actually being "sports".

Doesn't mean it isn't hard.

Doesn’t mean it doesn’t require a high degree of skill.

Doesn’t mean it doesn’t require a high degree of mental toughness.

Does mean you DON'T have to be an athlete to do well at these activities.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What about Texas Holdem?

I bet a stats degree helps. Just don't tell anyone. Especially when drinking is involved.

My opinion and experience.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Great "Sports" debate...

personally I enjoy all aspects of games/activities/competitions shown on sports tv except Basketball, it isn't that I don't respect it or appreciate what others see in it...it just isn't for me...

Is anything that requires judging rather than concrete evidence of victory (More goals/points than the opposition) really a 'sport'
Figure Skating, Boxing and MMA (other than knckouts) etc I find tough, because judges can get things wrong...

Whereas Golf, Darts, Pool, Poker, Bowling does have scoring, yet you need not to be a good athlete (Again see Tub 'O lard John Daly)

Same for Driving, NASCAR's are the athlete's, doesn't mean the drivers don't require skill, mental toughness etc...But truly Walker losing Athlete of the Year to Jacques Villeneuve's car was a travesty...

Baseball probably requires less physical fitness than Golf if you really think about it...Sure Fielding Fly Balls and Running the bases is needing quickness, but that hardly puts any emphasis on Stamina (How many Major Leaguers Smoke!?) Yet in Golf you need to walk 7000+ yards if you don't miss the fairway with anything and need to walk into the trees (I'm good at finding my balls I miss with ;) ) I wonder how many Golfers (Even John Daly) could actually walk The Falls...

I know the Pro's have caddies and don't carry their own bag...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Skill, startegy, agility, mental toughness, strength, and the "sweat" factor. Meaning, you need to be athletic to compete. You need to be a superior athlete to be good. IMO, you need all these to have it considered a sport.

Golf, curling, bolling...all those don't qualify due to the lack of an athletic element.

You could argue both ways w/ baseball. Certain positions, clearly, you need to be an athlete, even though most of the time is spent not being athletic. But, you will never convince me Dave Wells was an athlete. Hell of a pitcher.

Anyhow, it is a great debate, and usually a non-starter w/ golfers, as they will fully admit it isn't a sport.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What about Texas Holdem?

I bet a stats degree helps. Just don't tell anyone. Especially when drinking is involved.

My opinion and experience.

You left a Kilkenny in my fridge. Odds of it sticking around one more evening are negligible. No stats degree needed to figure that out. :D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Certain people will not need a stats degree to figure out their average playing time next year either :mad:

:D

OK, sorry about getting off-topic here, don't tell ghouse, I don't want to duke it out for I am just a geek.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Certain people will not need a stats degree to figure out their average playing time next year either.

Don't tell us, the old reggy is the head coach of the BRM next year, well we have got to get a head to head game with the Mighty Rangers and Slurrey U. now, I can see the late night posts from coach and reggy now.

No playing time for you, one year.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just saw on CNN that Woods is now done for the 'season' having to get his knee reconstructed. How's that for fortitude, playing the US Open with, in actuality, one leg, and still winning after an extra 19 holes.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0