Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Vancouver Canucks 2002/2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done Burke indeed!

Quite surprising I think that Jovo settled for $5 mill per... that's a lot of dough, for sure, but at current comparative salaries? I think this deal is going to have far more ramafications than first perceived on the surface. I think it actually could be the first step in correcting the "crisis" in the health of the NHL today (teams not being able to turn a profit).

I would surmise that the NHLPA isn't too happy with Ed today :D

~Regs.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would also imagine this deal will mean the end to Linden's stint as president of the NHLPA! Bob won't be thrilled that someone just took a 50% pay cut, let alone its leader.

As for the Nucks, Burke has to be up for some sort of award for Jovo's signing. To get Jovo for that number is unbelievable! And as for the current payroll, this move doesn't increase the total teams salary as the two players basically just switched checks!

Well done Burkie,

John

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WOW!

Along the same lines, anyone hear Brett Hull’s comments the other day? “As it is, about 70% of the players are overpaid.”

These are early signs that the NHLPA will be divided. Hopefully, this will mean that a hard cap of some sort is on the way.

That cnut Burke is doing it again…making it impossible for us to hate him. Early leader in the running of executive of the year.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brilliant!!!

Players like Jovo, Linden and Nazzy (from last season) are character guys that are proving to us all that they aren't just about the money... Don't get me wrong, $5 million is a lot of dough, but Jovo could have got much more somewhere else... Same goes for Nazzy last season!!! Apparently he stated he wanted them to use the extra money to sign some of his teammates and other free agents... Linden took a HUGE pay cut... Not that he is worth millions for his offensive stats, but he brings a lot of intangibles and signed on for half of what he is currently being payed!!!
This says alot about the Canucks management team and the commitment of its players!!!

:wa: :bronco: :knvb: :wa: :bronco: :knvb:

Panties

Aug 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
JoVo's contract is right where it should be. A little stunned it is such short termed with the cba coming up. True he might of got more in the open market but would then be overpaid. The reason the likes of Blake and Lidstrom get the huge dollars is that not only are they among the best defensively, but you can seriously expect 15 goals and 65 points from them. Not yet realistic for JoVo on a yearly basis.

Naslund signing for his 5 mill plus was a pleasant surprise and has now looked to set up an internal salary cap like NJ used to have. Naslund is your best player, so how can you get paid more than him.

Good job Burke.

3 years and a club option for another at 2 mill for Linden, wow I hope he gets at least a little resurected.
He means a lot to the fans, but in this town, 2 years later if he is still struggling, it could get ugly down the road.

Lupoman

Nov 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Damn Burke....

Yup, just when you think management ain't worth their weight in spam, they go and be competent. Just pisses me off.

lupoman

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Brilliant!!!

I'm not going to bother with the Ed Jovanovski situation. The Canucks ripped him off, because he could have went to a cup contender like Montreal and recieved more money. Good For Brian Burke.

Originally posted by Guinness
. Linden took a HUGE pay cut... Not that he is worth millions for his offensive stats, but he brings a lot of intangibles and signed on for half of what he is currently being payed!!!
:

Trevor Linden has 14pts. He is a -9. And has been invisible for...lets say, 36 out of the 39 games he has played in this year.
I'm sure he's a huge off ice presence:rolleyes: and considering he used to be the captain,I guess that gives him enough credibility to make an ubsurb amount of money. He is 32 years old and most of the time it seems he does not have the legs to keep up with the younger, faster players in the NHL. Why not sign him to a one-year deal in the $1.2 million dollar range. Including his $300,000 signing bonus and the extra money you save in the contract you could go out and get a free agent or try to land a upper tier goaltender .

He made enough money when the HABS brass signed him while sniffing excessive amounts of glue and should seriously sit down with the team and look for a role in the organization other than on the ice.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Special Ed

How about this quote from Jovo yesterday:

"When I got traded here, it turned my career around 360 degrees..."

Good thing you can play hockey, Eddie.:D

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Panties
Naslund signing for his 5 mill plus was a pleasant surprise and has now looked to set up an internal salary cap like NJ used to have. Naslund is your best player, so how can you get paid more than him.

Good point. People often forget about the "internal cap". Only seems to work with teams who exist well with each other in the dressing room.

I get the feeling the Rangers wouldn't adhere to such a policy.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Re: Brilliant!!!

Originally posted by The Apprentice

He made enough money when the HABS brass signed him while sniffing excessive amounts of glue and should seriously sit down with the team and look for a role in the organization other than on the ice.

When the Habs signed him, they (the Habs) were only on the hook for about 50% of his contract.
Keep in mind, they gave up a 1st rounder to get him.... does Raffi Torres ring a bell?

No. Didn't think so....

Not to mention he played only 50+ games and had 34 pts...not bad for Trevor's standards. He was also 56% for faceoff wins.

Zaurrini

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
try to land a upper tier goaltender
Let's see.

Vancouver Canucks - 63 pts. Tied for fourth in the NHL.

Montreal Canadiens - 52 pts. 15th in the NHL.

A lot of good their "upper tier" goalkeeper is doing them. They should never have traded him:eek:to Boston. How about a little side bet Appy? Think of something and get back to me.

Canucks to avenge their loss to Minny last week and throttle them tonight. A big win. By 4 perhaps?:D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
COTW reset

Originally posted by The Apprentice
I'm not going to bother with the Ed Jovanovski situation. The Canucks ripped him off, because he could have went to a cup contender like Montreal and recieved more money. Good For Brian Burke.

Trevor Linden has 14pts. He is a -9. And has been invisible for...lets say, 36 out of the 39 games he has played in this year.
I'm sure he's a huge off ice presence:rolleyes: and considering he used to be the captain,I guess that gives him enough credibility to make an ubsurb amount of money. He is 32 years old and most of the time it seems he does not have the legs to keep up with the younger, faster players in the NHL. Why not sign him to a one-year deal in the $1.2 million dollar range. Including his $300,000 signing bonus and the extra money you save in the contract you could go out and get a free agent or try to land a upper tier goaltender .

Yeah? At least the 'Nucks are better than the Habs.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by TheRob

Let's see.

Vancouver Canucks - 63 pts. Tied for fourth in the NHL.

Montreal Canadiens - 52 pts. 15th in the NHL.

A lot of good their "upper tier" goalkeeper is doing them. They should never have traded him:eek:to Boston. How about a little side bet Appy? Think of something and get back to me.

If you believe that Cloutier is your man come playoff time....

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver took a 2-0 series lead in Detroit but the momentum began to swing to the Wings after Cloutier allowed Lidstrom's winner in Game 3 on a knuckleballing slapshot from the centre red-line.Since then, he stopped only 23 of 33 shots for a .697 save percentage as the goaltending critics shifted their focus to Cloutier .

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You guys are too predictable. Theodore looked real good in the last couple of games vs. the Canes to didn't he.:rolleyes:

Yes I believe Cloutier can lead them deep into the playoffs this year. How far? I don't know. I do know they'll make them which is more then the two of you can say about the Habs.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice try....

Theodore = MVP

Cloutier =
Cloutier could not stop a 90-foot slap shot by defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom with 24.6 seconds to go in the second period, sparking the Wings to a 3-1 victory.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hehe

Only one thing easier than getting a rise outta a HABS fan...

and that is getting one outta TheRob

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Modano named Captain

All STar Game

Nazzy should have been picked Captain....
what were the Fans thinking???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0