Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The US Flag at the Olympics

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard about this issue on the news yesterday, and thought I’d see what others thought. I was actually surprised to have not heard about it sooner…I guess I haven’t been keeping up.

The US Olympic Team wants to carry the now-famous US flag that was propped up by Firefighters as a show of resilience at Ground Zero. If I recall correctly, they actually managed to stand the flag up on the same day the twin towers came down. I’m sure everyone has seen the photograph; personally, I find it quite inspirational, and am trying to find a suitable print to hang in my office.

That said, I disagree with the team requesting to carry it during the opening ceremonies. The Olympics is unique in its ideals. The games are supposed to be about peaceful competition and equality…in all sense of the world. It is one of the rare opportunities where even athletes from warring countries can gather to compete side-by-side, and where everyone is treated the same. I don’t think it is appropriate for the United States to be making such a bold political statement. In doing so, they are bringing their “either you’re with us or against us” attitude into the Games, and that is not right. What if this were the Summer Games? Would it be appropriate, then, for Afghan athletes to carry one of their flags that surely had been tattered by US bombs?

I have been 100% supportive of the US actions, post September 11th (we can continue that debate in the Terrorist thread if you like). I just think that too many innocent people all over the world have been needlessly killed being bystanders to terrorist attacks, regional wars, and political actions. We don’t need to bring those sentiments to the Olympics.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
overcome....

Christ, pass me a hanky. What an inspirational move. Hopefully they'll play 'The World's Greatest' by Rse Kelly over the tannoys while they're at it. That would be sure to inspire everyone.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
flag

good call dude.....i found the early flag waving days after sept 11 inspiring but agree that is now agression. it is everyone's right to have an opinion on the events following and the show of the flag goes with the ridiculous sentiment that if you dont agree with george baby you are either anti american or pro terrorism.

this crap has NO PLACE in the olympics

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Time to take it down a notch.

What did you expect? The Ra Ra America stuff is going to be around for awhile. We'd better get used to it. I didn't mind it after all that happend, but it is getting a bit much now.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This story seems to suggest that the Americans believe that they need this flag to induce some sort of inspiration and spiritual support for their cause. Think again: don't be suprised if every second American athlete is going to dedicate his/her medals to those lost in N.Y.. Just the fact that it's held in Salt Lake will be enough to bring out the patriots.

There were enough tributes at the Super Bowl. We don't need to see any more.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
same dif?

Would you guys feel the same about that Canadian Flag that filled the whole in-field at the last two Olympics:confused:

+SCisjustcuriousaboutwhatyouguysthink

BTW, those damn Aussies think that 'we' Canadians are more arrogant than Americans when it comes to our patriotism (not necss. tiner and deb):rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not the same dif

The US is using the WTC flag issue as a political statement. Having all the athletes carry their own individual, undamaged flag is a sign of patriotism.

Not a great argument, but I think there is a significant difference.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
regardless, we are all rolling our eyes at them anyway.

What is the difference between an American at the Olympics and a Canadian at the Olympics?

The America has a big Maple leaf sewed to their back pack while a Canadian only has a little one. - Joke from the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney...:rolleyes:

+SChopestherearenopoliticaldemosorretaliationattheOlympicsites:(

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW, those damn Aussies think that 'we' Canadians are more arrogant than Americans when it comes to our patriotism
I'm starting to agree with you now that these Canadian Hockey/Molson Canadian commercials are bombarding the television airwaves.

Americans are naturally patriotic and ignorant -- they do it without thinking. We, on the other hand, are conciously trying to catch up to them.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
glad you see, but

Canada does rock though!

No really, it is all about the North American style/way. Canadians get linked up with the ignorace. We can't help it, we live close. I'm sure others can agree here, non-North Americans are the first to knock us, but when you travel abroad, every tv show, or sports network just mimicks the Americans. =this is not to say that we don't mimick other tv styles from other parts of the world.

I'm off topic, sorry. Point being, If they raise the flag, I won't be knocking it, or praising it.
If they raised any African flag in memory of those who have lost their lives to starvation/malnutrition/aids, that is another story. But we wouldn't see that now would we?:eek:

"Cheers to the non-political Olympic Spirit" - if there is such a thing now-a-days

+SC:(justputtwoterribleparagraphstogether:rolleyes:

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ooooohhhh how I crave the approval of Australians.

I wonder what Yahoo Serious thinks about the whole thing.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One Question

Dude,

Is this what you really think the Olympics are all about, after all the Bullshite and contraversy about the games over recent history?

The Olympics is unique in its ideals. The games are supposed to be about peaceful competition and equality…in all sense of the world. It is one of the rare opportunities where even athletes from warring countries can gather to compete side-by-side, and where everyone is treated the same.

Just a question for clarifiying things....;)

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's official:

From the IOC Website:
GROUND ZERO FLAG TO FLY DURING OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES
05 February 2002

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) agreed earlier this week in Salt Lake City to allow a US flag found at Ground Zero to fly above Rice-Eccles Stadium during the Opening Ceremony of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games.

The flag will fly during the Opening Ceremony just as it did during the Super Bowl. Raising the flag during the US National Anthem was the preferred way to include the flag during the ceremony. While some parts of the Opening Ceremony change to reflect the culture of the host city, the procession of athletes is a part of the universal Olympic Protocol that has essentially remained unchanged in the modern Olympic era.

"The IOC decided flying the flag above the stadium during the Olympic Ceremonies was the best way to honor both the flag and the Olympic Protocol which has withstood the test of time," said Anita DeFrantz, senior US IOC member. "This way all participants and spectators can honor the flag.

"The Olympic Movement around the world has expressed its sympathy for the victims of September 11th in many ways since that tragic day," said DeFrantz. "Showing the flag this respect is just one more way."
Meanwhile, they're discussing the whole issue on Politically Incorrect. There's some wishy-washiness, but it seems pretty even, and Bill Mahr's against it. It was mentioned that if the US is allowed to drag this flag out, then other nations should be able to argue to have symbols of their national tragedies paraded infront of everyone as well. Then the Olympics will simply turn into a competition of who's tragedy is more gory and depressing.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: One Question

Originally posted by 5bigtoes
Dude,

Is this what you really think the Olympics are all about, after all the Bullshite and contraversy about the games over recent history?

Just a question for clarifiying things....;)

In a nutshell I do. I view the Games as a rare opportunity for the world’s best athletes to gather in peaceful competition. I think the US has crossed this line with their insistence on flying the WTC flag; they're bringing their wartime sentiments into the arena, which I don't agree with. I view this as an issue over and above patriotism.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chill people

"Flag waving Americans"...
I do not see how anyone can be offended by a country (happens to be the most powerful nation in the world) still trying to mourn the loss of their loved ones and the fall of their symbol for Capitalism... after all I did have the US Flag as my avatar post 09/11... that said, we all know the Yanks like the cheese and any opportunity to prolong their moment in the spotlight... yes we are ALL at War and this is quite a debatable subject!!! In my honest opinion
I do not see how anyone can be offended
:rolleyes: really, if they want to parade "Their Flag" in their "own" country I can't see the problem!!! Furthermore, (answering SC) if it happened in Hogtown I would be the first to continue with the 09/11... I'm sure not many of us can really say how it feels to have lost a family member in such a horrific way, Televised for the whole world to see???
Give them what they need :confused: if that is the case, quoting the little Vancouver Police sticker on my office bulletin board "Never Forget"!!!:(

GuinnessisgoingtoPMhisbuddySmilesandaskforhisYankyopinion!!!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree...kind of

Guinness,

I agree with nearly everything you've said. Just so people understand, I'm not anti-American at all. I have many business associates- and good friends- located in the States, and I feel their pain.

I'm not opposed at all to any country flying their flag. As you know, I'm about as proud and as patriotic a Canadian as they come. I just think this particular insistence to wave the tattered WTC flag can be viewed more as a hostile message than a show of patriotism. I would rather see their flag bearer waving a brand new, beautiful "stars and stripes". They can be as loud and proud as they wish.

Anyhow, that's my take on the issue. I thought it would be interesting to see what others thought.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude

I hear ya and am on the same page, however it doesn't bother me nor should it be taken offensively by anyone!!!
I just think this particular insistence to wave the tattered WTC flag can be viewed more as a hostile message than a show of patriotism.
If they want to fly the Tattered Flag as a sentimental show of strength and support then God Bless them!!! (fcuk I don't have a religious bone in my body):rolleyes:

GoodthreadDude;)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's up doc?

To me it seems like they are trying to re-create the image of those old Bugs Bunny cartoons. You know where they were back in the civil war. Bugs with torn and shot up flag, Elmer on the drums and Tweedy limping side by each with a crutch, walking into the sunset.

Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about either.

Let them have the flag. Who cares. Really when it comes right down to it a just a another American patriotic photo op.

From what I heard no one even wants to carry the Dutch Flag......

Yankie doodle Dutchman

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0