Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The legacy of North Delta

O. Guy Oglethorpe

Mar 22, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
It probably started with players like Steve Watts and Sam Saundh. Then, there was Gary Price, Killer and Keith Izzat. The team with Graham Brown, Ron Dirksen, Dave Shirle, Jamie Horvath, Paul Adams, Brandt Watkins etc. was the first great team to come out of Delta and one of the best teams ever. Later teams brought out players like Doug McKinty, Gareth Wiltshire, Rob Wilkinson. Coaches like Cormack, Mantei and Friesen came out of the system. Good players and excellent people like Jackson Reeve, Shawn Maxwell, Mike Favaro, the Aujilas. I don't think that another soccer community could compete with the talent that's come out of this middle-class bedroom community. What do you think?

Of course, I grew up in Delta and have known everyone that I've named. I currently live in QC with a pregnant girlfriend, graying hair and I'm getting a little bit of a paunch in my early middle-ages. Who am I?

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
the Aujilas

Of course, I grew up in Delta and have known everyone that I've named.
:rolleyes:

It's Aujla's and they are from Richmond.

North Shore, Coquitlam, Richmond, Surrey, Burnaby can respectively counter a list just as impressive or better.

Sandman

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Sandman

Way to narrow it down captain obvious!:rolleyes:

BTW, how the hell did Stepchild make this list of late greats? He's the shits!;)

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
O. Guy Oglethorpe said:
It probably started with players like Steve Watts and Sam Saundh. Then, there was Gary Price, Killer and Keith Izzat. The team with Graham Brown, Ron Dirksen, Dave Shirle, Jamie Horvath, Paul Adams, Brandt Watkins etc. was the first great team to come out of Delta and one of the best teams ever. Later teams brought out players like Doug McKinty, Gareth Wiltshire, Rob Wilkinson. Coaches like Cormack, Mantei and Friesen came out of the system. Good players and excellent people like Jackson Reeve, Shawn Maxwell, Mike Favaro, the Aujilas. I don't think that another soccer community could compete with the talent that's come out of this middle-class bedroom community. What do you think?

Of course, I grew up in Delta and have known everyone that I've named. I currently live in QC with a pregnant girlfriend, graying hair and I'm getting a little bit of a paunch in my early middle-ages. Who am I?

I've thought about it for a long time. You are a fat grey haired guy who doesn't use birth control.:rolleyes:

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
the man is right.
North Delta is where its at.
most of the Rangers are from N.D.
Half of the Whalley Storm boys are from there, as well as the G.N. boys.
and obviously, the Lions.
and many of the delta metro boys too.,
so a good percentage of the prem.league.
i guess. don't quote me on this one.
actually,,, just joking...but seriously..

LION

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
O. Guy Oglethorpe said:
Who am I?

I don't see Stevie Millars name on that list and he is the Greatest player to come out of North Delta by far.

Way to easy O. Guy, I mean Thrillar Millar.

Who's next, perhaps I could do up a Burnaby list, no that would be way too long of all the Great Orange and Black from Cliff Ave United teams gone by.

hos

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
North Delta has definitely produced a load of talented players, many not listed. Definitely one of the deepest pools but I would say Coquitlam would be right with Delta. I believe that ND and Coquitlam have won the most High School Provoncials which should be a good guage on the talent levels over the years.

I am a proud ND boy and was lucky to play with many of those guys listed. :D

Oglethorpe sounds like a Old Ranger fan to me.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Balsa said:
ND and Coquitlam have won the most High School Provoncials.

No I don't think so, look at Alpha and Burnaby Norht and all the Provincials throught the 90's that were won. And in the 80's there was many a Provincial from one of the many strong Nroth Shore teams, I would say those two areas are much stronger than Coq and ND.

hos

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is only One ND in BC and that is Notre Dame. Football was our sport, no soccer during my days, but we did hold exhibitions and beat other top schools in soccer. Soccer was finally instated into the school a few years later. Then again we did win 14 titles in football.... my year being the last. East Van Football Rules!!! :D

Cheers

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS, I meant as an individual school, not a district. But I have been wrong before (just don't tell Spazz;) ).

Really it is a debate that could go on forever. Over the years every district has had a team or player that dominated a specific age group. Cliff Ave was a machine in the early 80's, Metro Ford in the 90's. Northe Delta also had some amazing team's in the 80's and 90's. So many great players out there from all over the lower mainland.

There'smypoliticallycorrectanswer :D

Can't forget Buckfast's Fraser Vally Team will Deamon and Gill. :)

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sandman said:
:rolleyes:

North Shore, Coquitlam, Richmond, Surrey, Burnaby can respectively counter a list just as impressive or better.

Sandman

it's tough not to agree with this, but i think if you look at the population of each of the districts, north delta, percentage wise, has to be at or near the top of producing quality players compared to the population of the area, and that's just north delta, not the delta district

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does the name Todd Baily ring a bell???

posted by: LIAR
most of the Rangers are from N.D.
Half of the Whalley Storm boys are from there,
as well as the G.N. boys.
and obviously, the Lions.
and many of the delta metro boys too.,
so a good percentage of the prem.league.
i guess. don't quote me on this one.
actually,,, just joking...but seriously..

LION
You haven't noted a good team in the lot!!!:rolleyes:
actually,,,just joking...but seriously..

O. Guy Oglethorpe

Mar 22, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
For sure, Bailley and Steve Millar deserve to be on the list. Really, Hleucka and Russ Pontin are others, as well as Randy Schick. Also, it's true. The Aujlas are from Richmond. And I've got to say that Cliff Avenue has had great teams as well.

I know most of the old Rangers. One thing I've got to say about the ((hiccup)) Delta players, though. We sure know how to drink.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess I am going to have to agree. North Delta per capita has produced some very good players. I seemed to have forgotten, as Surrey United blood as I am, that I did coach North Delta Select for a couple of seasons. Rich Pasqua, Troy Wood, Matt Cooper, among others. Excellent team.

I went to school with Sherle and Dirksen and Paille, and Booth. Queen Elizabeth. They were Surrey boys playing in the North Delta system. I believe the advantage that North Delta had was coaching at a time when very few good ones were available. Superstar Stevie Watts had that team organized and the basics absolutely covered. Big advantage in those days when everyone else was playing reactionary, playground soccer.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is a funny thread keep it up!

All these "give me strength" posts! My mom would love a thread (bless her heart) with her favourite saying being repeated...

"give me strength"...:D

Shiser Koze

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs and Reedie(sp?) might agree that there was a pretty decent Surrey United team around in the 80's, and won their fair share of hardware. Raided a few liquor cabinets as well.

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
None of the teams listed above were as strong as the Wesburn and Burnaby Central combo. Most of the Fireman team is ex-Wesburn from various years. Dream on .....

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0