Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Takin The Piss- Whalley Soccer Club opens office @ NAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No kidding.

The "Affluent" argument seemed to be the battle cry at CCFC last year, in comparing themselves to Surrey United. Give me a break. There is PLENTY of affluence in the Newton, North Surrey, & Delta bordering areas of Surrey. Yes, there are also some poorer families that play, too...which is (or was) the beauty of this game. But guess what? Cloverdale & Langley also have their less affluent neighborhoods. As I was discussing w/ an old friend- who Ball shall remain nameless baby- I saw at CAP this weekend, the real secret to Surrey United has been slow, steady, consistent growth. Not overnight growth through acquisition.

The argument that Burnaby isn't affluent is laughable. Sure, there are some poorer families, but also some of the most affluent areas of Metro Vancouver happen to be in Burnaby.

Now some roses...being involved in CCB this year as part of the Breakers / CC merger, the technical staff have done a good job organizing the Academy / Staff training options for teams, and the club has been very good with field availability. We've had Randy Taylor running a "Team Training" day for us once a week, a total 12 week program (I think). The total cost is something like an extra $600.00, which amounts to less than $5.00 per session / player. Very reasonable, IMO. These sessions are excellent, professionally run, and are also useful for us rusty coaches who are always looking for ways to improve. We've also have great access to fields this year, and are taking full advantage. This is where the strength in numbers advantage comes into play. Membership = pull w/ the city and field allocation. For us, as a young team, this works great. Gives me 4 nights / days a week w/ the girls right now (including games), which we’ll cut down to 3 shortly. All can’t make all sessions all the time, but 8-9 are at every session, and mostly full turn out to games. The coaching staff run sessions gives us a totally different workout, and leaves us with great drills we can use going forward. There are also some people overseeing the field allocation & registration that I’m sure have been pulling their hair out w/ what must be 3 x the workload, but they’ve done a really nice job- in our case, anyhow. Communication has been jumbled, but that’s to be expected. They’ve put in place some reps for the different divisions that serve as a communication liaison, and that has been very helpful.

Long term, I’m hopeful the club executive will take on the personality of the technical staff. Posting on TTP and taking digs at the other clubs, and in membership meetings, is not real well received by the membership. Many of the members have kids playing for other clubs as well, or have experience at other clubs to draw from, so they tend to receive those types of comments with a substantial grain of salt.

For what it is worth…

A

AMA

Now some roses...being involved in CCB this year as part of the Breakers / CC merger, the technical staff have done a good job organizing the Academy / Staff training options for teams, and the club has been very good with field availability. We've had Randy Taylor running a "Team Training" day for us once a week, a total 12 week program (I think). The total cost is something like an extra $600.00, which amounts to less than $5.00 per session / player. Very reasonable, IMO. These sessions are excellent, professionally run, and are also useful for us rusty coaches who are always looking for ways to improve. We've also have great access to fields this year, and are taking full advantage. This is where the strength in numbers advantage comes into play. Membership = pull w/ the city and field allocation. For us, as a young team, this works great. Gives me 4 nights / days a week w/ the girls right now (including games), which we’ll cut down to 3 shortly. All can’t make all sessions all the time, but 8-9 are at every session, and mostly full turn out to games. The coaching staff run sessions gives us a totally different workout, and leaves us with great drills we can use going forward. There are also some people overseeing the field allocation & registration that I’m sure have been pulling their hair out w/ what must be 3 x the workload, but they’ve done a really nice job- in our case, anyhow. Communication has been jumbled, but that’s to be expected. They’ve put in place some reps for the different divisions that serve as a communication liaison, and that has been very helpful.

For what it is worth…
Newton was in desperate need of a club that understands and meets the needs of the local soccer community and ccbfc have delivered that . The office is open longer hrs with people ready to help and answer questions . There,s a brand new turf being laid on the field to the left behind the clubhouse. That will make 3 awesome turf fields with a 4th in the future .Teams are doing well and they have the most membership of any club in bc .
Well done guys and good luck . The bc prem leage franchise next !!!!!!!!!!

nap

Sep 8, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well I have been reading the thread for a while and honestly amazed over the comments. Now many ppl know that the South fraser BCPL U 14 girls teams is basically made of best players from CCB/SFC. At the time of the tryouts both club supported and asked their talented players to go to BCPL teams. If ppl love the programs they are in you cant force them to leave. It be a shame if CCBR disn't land BCPL soon. Now I also hear that SUSC/GAC honeymoon is over so watch out for GAC to join CCB/SFC that be a force.

Now about the structure and funds available:

CCB provided free regsitration to the kids of all volunteers. Provided two coaches on each team winter jackets. All players got complete kits including free practise shirts.

Following CSA guidelines all teams got Coaches kits including pump, cones, pinnies. first aid kit and medical cards for all players.

Has anyone been around and looked at the micro program in action. 1200 kids at the ages of U 6,7,8 and they all get free technical session every sunday and saturday. Some of you haters should coem out to NAP on Sunday's and take a look at the program in action and its included in the fee.

Metro Teams Kicking ass should be a under statement and the club is ready to challenge BCPL teams. Contrary to the big clubs the mmeebrs have a say and are treated with a smile for their questions and requests. I am challenging SUSC that CCB/SFC is here to stay and will soon take over as leaders in soccer development in Surrey. Of course SUSC or South fraser can be quiet as they have what everyone wants BCPL.

Just stay tuned........................

parent

Mar 16, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stay tuned...for what?

As a Richmond parent, I am not following the significance of what all this means in Surrey. Also, why should SUSC or SF be quiet?

Thanks!

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm having a hard time following this too. Is there some sort of program guide for this soap? Cole's notes maybe?

Are there people out there that think that because they can find one or two examples of where a MSL team could likely beat one or maybe more BCSPL teams that BCSA will roll on over and hand out a BCSPL franchise? Or are there people that think BCSPL franchises are being handed out like candy? Or that franchises will be revoked in the next couple years because a club has a couple weak teams? Or is this just another BC soccer dysfunctional element?

I'm all confused.

heanjob

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well I have been reading the thread for a while and honestly amazed over the comments. Now many ppl know that the South fraser BCPL U 14 girls teams is basically made of best players from CCB/SFC. At the time of the tryouts both club supported and asked their talented players to go to BCPL teams. If ppl love the programs they are in you cant force them to leave. It be a shame if CCBR disn't land BCPL soon. Now I also hear that SUSC/GAC honeymoon is over so watch out for GAC to join CCB/SFC that be a force.

CCB provided free regsitration to the kids of all volunteers. Provided two coaches on each team winter jackets. All players got complete kits including free practise shirts.

Following CSA guidelines all teams got Coaches kits including pump, cones, pinnies. first aid kit and medical cards for all players.

Has anyone been around and looked at the micro program in action. 1200 kids at the ages of U 6,7,8 and they all get free technical session every sunday and saturday. Some of you haters should coem out to NAP on Sunday's and take a look at the program in action and its included in the fee.

Metro Teams Kicking ass should be a under statement and the club is ready to challenge BCPL teams. Contrary to the big clubs the mmeebrs have a say and are treated with a smile for their questions and requests. I am challenging SUSC that CCB/SFC is here to stay and will soon take over as leaders in soccer development in Surrey. Of course SUSC or South fraser can be quiet as they have what everyone wants BCPL.

Really, sounds like a slam dunk. Wow. What happened first time round?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
CCB/SFC having strong metro teams doesn't really apply to BCPL however. The other factors you mentioned are impressive, of course. And I am sure there are some good people doing some good things in the CCB/SFC club. However, my question is this - is CCB/SFC recommending/encouraging its players actively right now to have BCPL as their target or are they suggesting to the players to stay where they are? BCPL is a step-up in play, and visibility (Whitecaps and PTP/NTC). As with every league pro or amateur around the world there will always be some "lower level" teams better than "higher level" teams are various age groups/genders....ie, is Bolton better than West Ham this year? Closer to home....is the bottom VISL or FVSL team better than the top VMSL Division 1 team this year? Probably not.

parent

Mar 16, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
"bettermirror" (from Chilliwack?):

Agreed!

It is my understanding the EA Sports BCPL franchises are a done deal!
Surrey already has two franchises. What exactly is the problem? :)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
nap said:
Maybe you should think about being quiet, how's that for a challenge?

I don't see any of the "big clubs" opening their gobs and putting down other programs like we see here from members of your group. Think about that.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
CCB/SFC having strong metro teams doesn't really apply to BCPL however. The other factors you mentioned are impressive, of course. And I am sure there are some good people doing some good things in the CCB/SFC club. However, my question is this - is CCB/SFC recommending/encouraging its players actively right now to have BCPL as their target or are they suggesting to the players to stay where they are? BCPL is a step-up in play, and visibility (Whitecaps and PTP/NTC). As with every league pro or amateur around the world there will always be some "lower level" teams better than "higher level" teams are various age groups/genders....ie, is Bolton better than West Ham this year? Closer to home....is the bottom VISL or FVSL team better than the top VMSL Division 1 team this year? Probably not.

In response to your question posed, which of course you know the answer to and thus why you've posed it, are they (CCB) actively encouraging their players to set BCSPL as their target? They have not and are not.

Obviously they won't, because BCSPL is no good, * unless of course they get a franchise, which they already bid on and did not receive....then of course BCSPL WILL be the right way to go and WILL be the path for the elite player and WILL be better than Metro....but course until CCB gets that franchise...no, BCSPL isn't something you parents or players should pursue.

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Focus on player first? Or is it about the club?

Hmmmmmm.......

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just to be clear, I am not assuming CCB/SFC are or are not recommending players try and make BCPL teams.

However, it is not surprising whatsoever they are doing well in metro (I haven't checked the league tables...). Not to put down metro, the teams in it, the coaches who put time into it, or the players who are in metro but CCB/SFC would be a big fish in that particular pond - along with the new West Van amalgamation (Van United?) - and the odd team here or there being particularly strong in various age groups/gender. It's a numbers game. Only so many kids from Surrey can play on the BCPL teams - roughly 18 males per age group x2 if you count South Fraser as "Surrey" totalling 36 out of thousands of Surrey-registered players. Then only a few Surrey players will leave Surrey to play on an "out of town" BCPL franchise (no different than any other community)...which leaves loads left over for strong metro teams - which is exactly what we saw in Gold over the years. Surrey always had strong gold teams as well, they are now just re-branded as Metro. Not that CCB/SFC don't have good, honest, hard-working coaches, every community does, but when you have more numbers you have more strong players - it's like comparing the Canadian national team to the American one. Yanks aren't necessarily doing anything better than we are - they just have 10x the population (though I don't know if they have 10x the soccer-registrations).

@parent - I hate my nick too. It's a reference to Pearl Jam that I created years and years ago. I'd change it on here if I could - but that'd be re-registering under a different email etc etc....#notbothered.

A

AMA

There,s alot of people at the so called bigger clubs who look down on CCBFC but for many of the guys coaching and playing at the Newton club soccer is their only sport and they give 100% committment towards it . This is empasised by the fact that players from Newton/Surrey won the Nations cup last year and runners up this year and the local team based at NAP is the BC champions.

Theres alot of barriers that need to be overcome but CCBFC guys just keep on doing your best for the kids and u won,t go far wrong.

A

AMA

Really, sounds like a slam dunk. Wow. What happened first time round?

The guys will have learnt from their first bid but with hopefully GAC joining up there is a much better chance of CCBFC coming into the reckoning for BCSPL granchise and on the playing front becoming a real power.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is that the baseball, soccer or both sides of GAC joining up with you?

You're making it sound like North Fraser was the real reason you didn't get a franchise the first go-around. Nice.

Sep 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@parent - I hate my nick too. It's a reference to Pearl Jam that I created years and years ago. I'd change it on here if I could - but that'd be re-registering under a different email etc etc....#notbothered.

Your nick is fine. I'd never forgive you though if your email started with "bigdog@". That speaks volumes.... :supercilious-look:

A

AMA

The guys will have learnt from their first bid but with hopefully GAC joining up there is a much better chance of CCBFC coming into the reckoning for BCSPL franchise and on the playing front the teams are becoming a real force.

The CCBFC and GAC team coach,s are also proving themselves to be just as good and even better than the coach,s at other so called bigger clubs as shown by the success of their teams in the select leages and at the various Thanskgiving tournaments. These coach,s are so committed to soccer and are getting opportunities to coach they prob wouldn,t get at other clubs in Surrey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0