Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Setanta Free in March?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Update on Satan-Ta

One SPL club chairman told the BBC that, if the broadcaster goes into administration, it would be "absolutely horrific" for the future of the game in Scotland.

Setanta has too few of the "big" Premier League games, say observers

He went on to say that it will have a massive impact on the whole financial structure of football and restrict the clubs' ability to bring in quality players.

Players would leave the country in search of better wages and jobs will be lost at all levels within the game.

Another SPL club has told BBC Scotland that income from Setanta alone accounts for 33% of their income, while another said it was 20% for his club.

"With cuts already being made for next season, the loss of revenue of 20% would undoubtedly have a knock-on effect on and off the pitch," said a source.

It is feared that the loss of cash from Setanta could force as many as three SPL clubs into administration.

'Weaker' matches

The rights to show the English Premier League - and the subscribers that this pulls in - lie at the heart of Setanta's business model.

But the firm had only about 60% of the subscribers it needed to break even, said Professor Chris Brady of the BPP Business School.

"They have predicated the whole thing on getting those subscribers. The problem is they are taking on Goliath in BSkyB," he told the BBC.

Not only did Setanta have only a small percentage of televised Premier League games but they tended to be "weaker" matches, he added.

There had also been problems with customer service, Professor Brady told the BBC.

Setanta's viability was cast into doubt earlier this year when it lost the rights to show 46 live Premier League matches from 2010/2011.

In future, it will show only 23 games per season, compared with BSkyB's 115, with industry observers saying that thousands of customers would give up their subscriptions.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good Riddance is right. I have never understood the idea of paying that much for the service here in Canada with the advent of newer technologies via the internet like streaming sites, bit torrent, etc etc etc.

For me the Setanta package was going to be appealing to watch SPL games, but then even that was yanked as the Supporters Clubs in North america hold the exclusive rights to live games, leaving me to only watch my Gers games while I should be at work at 11:15 on Tuesdays or Wednesdays... :(

So instead I go to the Supporters Clubs for the big games and watch everything else on the web or via a torrent.

These "Specialty Channels" will die a death if they are considered "premium" whether it covers sport, cooking, pron, home improvement, fighting, what-have-you.

It has to be in a packaged add on to your basic cable/satellite package, or the lions share of people won't pay for it.

My $0.02 worth.

You have to make money (as a broadcaster) in ADVERTISING not SUBSCRIPTIONS, there are too many alternative mediums out now.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting quote from Jonesy's link:

Setanta founders Michael O'Rourke and Leonard Ryan are examining a range of options, including spinning off its US and Irish subsidiaries
Would this keep the Setanta channel going in Canada?

If the channel goes under, what happens to the special one?

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk sakes, just when I thought I'd never see Tommy Smyth again :rolleyes:

Soccernet.com said:
ESPN has won the rights to broadcast 46 live Premier League matches in the United Kingdom for the 2009-10 season, and has also been awarded a contract for the 2010-13 seasons.

The sports broadcaster, parent company of Soccernet, picked up both 23-match packages on offer in Monday's auction. ESPN's 46 live games will be split between Saturday evenings and Monday nights in the coming season. For the three seasons from 2010-11 to 2012-13 ESPN has the rights to a single package of 23 matches previously awarded to Setanta.

The Premier League ended its association with Setanta on Friday after it failed to meet a final deadline over a £30m payment which had been due this month. Setanta was also stripped of its Scottish Premier League contract on Monday.

"We are clearly delighted that our bid for exclusive media rights to the Barclays Premier League matches in the UK has been successful," said Lynne Frank, ESPN Managing Director in Europe, Middle East and Africa. "This is a huge step for our business, and we look forward to working with the Premier League, football clubs and distributors to bring UK sports fans all the excitement they expect in Premier League football."

"Premier League football is one of the world's most sought after sports properties, and we are very excited to be expanding our business in the UK with England's top football product," said Russell Wolff, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, ESPN International. "This move demonstrates our commitment to British sports fans and our ongoing commitment to delivering football to fans around the world across a variety of media."

Premier League Chief Executive, Richard Scudamore, said: "The Premier League is extremely pleased to have added ESPN as a UK rights holder. They have a formidable worldwide reputation and experience in sports and I am sure we will enjoy a long and fruitful relationship with them."

ESPN plans to make its Barclays Premier League coverage widely available across multiple pay-TV platforms. As a first step to this distribution strategy, ESPN has reached an agreement for its coverage to be retailed by Sky to residential and commercial customers.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is clearly for UK distribution rights.

No ESPN feed here in Canada.

I believe Setanta Canada released a statement on Friday/Saturday saying that they are a different entity than Setanta UK and thus, are not affected by any of the fallout.

Allegedly.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like you're spot on Regs :

http://www.setanta.com/ca/ said:
As has been widely reported in various media channels, Setanta Sports has today had its agreement to broadcast 46 Barclays Premier League matches in the UK terminated.
This development does not affect our channels and other services in Canada.
Setanta Sports Canada is a separate operation that has separate agreement to show the Barclay’s Premier League. Our channel and other services in Canada continue to broadcast and our subscribers can still enjoy our programming including the Lions Tour of South Africa and the Churchill Cup.
New customers are welcome to subscribe to watch some of the world’s best soccer and rugby either by contacting our cable and satellite partners or online at www.setanta.com.
We thank you for your continued interest in Setanta Sports and look forward to bringing you a wealth of sport over the coming months and years.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0