Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scottish Premier League News 2008/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walter Smith's Guide to Football

Rule Number 1

Goals do not win you games, buying players who run around like headless chickens - that wins you games!

Rule Number 2

Play your players out of position to get the best out of them.

Rule Number 3

When you require a goal, make sure you play one man up front - who doesn't score goals.

Rule Number 4

Do not be tempted to play a former player of the year in his preferred holding role, put him on the bench and play a central defender in that role.

Rule Number 5

Ensure you give your most prolific goalscorer 120 seconds worth of football. Then ask your defenders to launch the ball over his head.

Rule Number 6

Spend £3.5 Million on a player, but only play him for 60 seconds.

Rule number 7

When playing at home in Europe, dont try and win the game, just try and not concede.

Rule Number 8

Ball must be in the air as often as possible, at no point try and play football on the deck

Rule Number 9

Systems which utilize 5 midfielders require having 4 midfielders in the squad. Spend £2.7m in total
Systems which utilize 1 striker require having 8 strikers in the squad. Spend £13m in total

Rule Number 10

Centre Backs are like gold dust you can never have too many in your team at once.

Rule number 11.

Players who havent either made it to the UK leagues or played against Rangers simply arent good enough and there is absolutely no point in sending a scout to watch them play or sending club officials to open negotiations.

Rule 12

Never ever buy a player unless a google search matches either the words 'utility' or 'dig' with him. If both are matched, immediately offer at least £2.5 million for him.

Rule 13.

All corners and free kicks must hit at least one defensive player immediately after they have been struck.

Rule 14

This same rule applies for crosses.

Rule 15

Wingers and full backs are not important. Anyone from centre halfs to strikers can play in these positions.

Rule 16

If you sign an aging player as emergency cover for one of your talented holding midfielders, that player should be given an extension to his contract on it's expiry even though he is not required must keep your highly rated player out of the team.

Rule 17

Always treat the opposition with the same respect. Whether playing Barcelona at the Nou Camp or a third rate, part-time, pub team from Lithuania at Ibrox, play the same very defensive formation - 4 centre halfs in defence, another 1 as holding midfield, 4 other defensive midfielders and a wank striker

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CELTIC’S Under-18 side showed character and strength in abundance to overcome adversity and sweep past rivals Rangers to win the Glasgow Cup with a convincing 3-1 victory.

The Hoops’ preparations were thrown into disarray before a ball was even kicked when the football authorities informed Celtic that three foreign players, whom the club were led to believe would be allowed to play, were banned from taking to the field.

Having only returned from the EuroFoot Tournament in Belgium this week, and with a trip to Villarreal coming this weekend, this unexpected setback meant that Celtic were stretched to the limit.

However, John McLaughlan’s outstanding group of young guns came out fighting and left Rangers shell-shocked with three quickfire goals in the opening period through James Keatings, Richie Towell and James Forrest.

In the second half, Celtic played with composure, style and discipline, and thoroughly deserved their win against a Rangers youth team that has been lauded as one of the best the club has ever produced.

All in, it was a magnificent team effort from a talented young Celtic side and showed that club as a whole is leading the way at every level of Scottish football.

It was a first half of drama and excitement as Celtic showed a ruthless streak to take command of this showpiece clash.

Yet, it was Rangers who started brightest and they took the lead in 13 minutes when Kyle Hutton latched on to a through ball and sent a left-foot strike past Connor Fairley from 20 yards.

Celtic coach McLaughlan was looking for a response and he got it as the Hoops responded with three goals in seven incredible minutes.

Keatings grabbed the equaliser in 15 minutes. Meeting Luca Santonocito’s free-kick, the striker planted his header beyond Grant Adam to pull Celtic level.

That gave the young Celts a massive boost and Towell put them ahead 120 seconds later. Forrest beat Adam to a long ball and lobbed an attempt towards goal. The tenacious Irish midfielder followed up well and forced the ball over the line.

Rangers were stunned but Celtic were on fire and Forrest added a third in 22 minutes. A loose ball broke to him in the box and he lashed his finish into the bottom corner from 14 yards.

The Ibrox men were then reduced to 10 men when Jamie Ness saw red for a late challenge on Italian midfielder Santonocito. The Rangers midfielder had already been booked and referee Frank Connor had no option but to send him packing.

Bunting threatened with a header as the second half started, while Hutton also glanced an effort wide of the upright at the other end.

Forrest, gliding in from the right, fired a shot wide of target in 60 minutes and Santonocito bent a free-kick inches past a post as Celtic looked to add to their lead. Keatings was also unlucky with a low shot as Celtic cruised through the closing stages

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is an article taken from March, 2000.............:D :D :) Good stuff.

FROM THE HERALD, MARCH 2000

Murray's Blueprint

Just as promised, Rangers are moving on to another level from the rest of Scottish football, as chairman David Murray announced a new investment of £53m for the Ibrox club, with a further massive cash boost soon to follow. The eventual cash injection could soar as high as £80m as Murray guides the club into what he believes will be a new, golden era for the Scottish champions.

The money involved, the biggest financial boost for any Scottish football club, will enable them to move into Europe's elite over the next few years. Yesterday, however, Murray maintained, as always, that he will not turn his back on Scottish football to play in any other league, and that while he remains in charge of the club, he will retain a responsibility to the domestic game."

It is clear from this latest move, however, that the Glasgow giants are setting an agenda that no other Scottish club can match - and that appears to include their Old Firm rivals, Celtic, who are trailing by 15 points in the Premier League championship and are now looking at a financial gap which the Parkhead club might not be able to bridge. There have been hints around Glasgow that Celtic could be ready to attempt a share flotation of their own, but it would seem unlikely they would be able to match the financial clout that Murray has put together. The Ibrox chairman promised his shareholders good news and a more prudent financial strategy at the last annual meeting of the club. He has now delivered this by taking on board several very heavy financial hitters, South African-based David King is worth around £300m - £20m of which he is investing in the club he followed as a young man in Glasgow."

The Ibrox chairman has spent several months and many sleepless nights piecing together the plans which will eliminate Rangers' debt, currently sitting at around £40m, provide finance for the new training centre and the soccer academy which will be housed there, and still allow cash to invest in
new players.

He said: 'I want to make it clear from the outset that while our small shareholders, our supporters who have an interest in the club, will have the opportunity to invest again if they want, there is no pressure on them to do so. The bulk of the rights issue is being taken up by myself and David King and some other smaller investors, including Alastair Johnston, who is a long-time Rangers' supporter.'
'We also have Trevor Hemmings coming in as an investor and Tom Hunter will join us some time in the future. Essentially, the investment we require is in place and we also have a major media deal in the pipeline which is very exciting and will bring in further serious investment to the club. I told you earlier this week that I had run the club up to now on a high-risk strategy which has involved carrying large debt. These days are over. The whole method of running the club is going to change, because we are in a situation right now where we do not need to take the risks we have had to take in the past. We don't have to spend the same money on players, for example, as we have had to do over the past two years when we were restructuring the team after the arrival of Dick Advocaat. At the moment, we have two new players set for next season, Allan Johnston and Fernando Ricksen and Dick is looking for another quality striker. He is working hard on that right now.'

'Dick and myself know what we are aiming for. We want to be in the Champions League every season. This is what we want for the club and this is what we have been working towards. However, we shall not be going on any wild spending sprees in the transfer market.'

'We have a player or two to add to the squad - a top-class international front player, as I said, but we don't need to buy Numan, van Bronckhorst, Mols, Reyna, or McCann - because we have these lads in place already. Believe me when I tell you that we are going for it this time - we want to be successful in Europe, and the money we are raising now will take us there.'

'This is the last part of the jigsaw for me, but we shall always be a part of Scottish football and we will take our domestic responsibilities seriously. We respect the other teams in the Premier League and we know this news will make them try even harder against us. But, so be it. 'Barcelona don't win every week. Bayern Munich don't win every week. Manchester United don't win every week. Yet, our supporters expect us to do so and we shall always try to do that. What we do know is that to be in the Champions League, we have to win the Scottish title, and that is our aim every season. We shall always be here with our roots.'

However, the mega-deals Murray has been working on are sure to carry Rangers out of the reach of their rivals here at home and unless Celtic can somehow find the means to strengthen their own financial standing even the age-old rivalry between the Glasgow giants will be threatened as the Ibrox men grow ever stronger

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain, please stop...The wounds can not take anymore salt...some vinegar perhaps, but no more salt please...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay, JBN, these should cheer you up, m8. :)

http://i37.tinypic.com/r2m3d1.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2lwsjuh.jpg

http://s4.tinypic.com/2f08tbd.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/2ce0l1l.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/nzg03b.jpg

And a good article by John Hartson too. :)

No Kaunas clowns would get a game in Gord's team

By JOHN HARTSON

Published: Today
rigTeaserImage
MY old boss Gordon Strachan is absolutely desperate for players these days.

It’s so bad he’s not got enough experienced bodies to sit on the Celtic bench at the moment.

Youth team players are being thrown into the side.

Even outcasts Thomas Gravesen and Derek Riordan are being handed jerseys.

But if Gordon could swap any of his lads for any one of the players who played for Rangers the other night, I know what he’d say . . .

Thanks, but NO THANKS.

It might sound harsh but for me that’s the best way to describe how bad things have got at Ibrox.

There isn’t one first-team player available to Walter Smith at this minute in time who’d get a game for Celtic.

Not one.

Barry Ferguson and Carlos Cuellar are the only two he’d gladly take to Parkhead.

But those two are out injured at the moment and I honestly can’t think of anyone else.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some guys in the Rangers squad who aren’t any worse than their rival across the city.

Sasa Papac, for instance, is on a level par with Lee Naylor.

But if you start by comparing Allan McGregor with Artur Boruc, and work your way through the team-sheet, Rangers don’t have anyone who would be preferable when picking a side.

I bet that’s unusual if you look back through the years.

Even during Rangers’ nine- in-a-row days there were Celtic players who’d have walked into the Ibrox side.

It’s now a sad state of affairs from Rangers’ point of view.

But you know what, let me say here and now that I still don’t think Celtic will run away with the league.

People who think that really should know better.

It’ll be nip and tuck like it always is this season.

Celtic may be in a far better position right now but Rangers are still more than capable of lifting the trophy.

What they can’t do is start feeling sorry for themselves.

Their supporters are so down at the moment and quite rightly giving them stick for their poor performance in Kaunas.

But they’ll be back wearing their red, white and blue scarves on Saturday, screaming as loud as ever.

What they don’t want to see is the players who are pulling on the shirt going into their shells.

They have to come out and act like men, not little boys sulking after they’ve had a slap.

Trust me, I’ve been there and can prove it with two words — Artmedia Bratislava.

I was there the night we were thumped 5-0 in the first leg for what was Gordon’s first real game as Hoops gaffer.

I was there for the second leg when we crashed out of Europe after winning by four.

For what it’s worth, Craig Beattie hit the post in the very last minute.

But the bottom line was that we were humiliated and out on our ear, just like Rangers now.

However, we got back to the dressing-room, regrouped, and ended up winning the league at the end of that season.

Rangers can do the same.

I’m not saying I think they will because I’ve gone on record already by tipping my old club for the title.

I said that before the game last Tuesday, by the way.

But my point is that it’s still possible that Walter could get his side pulling in the one direction and turn things around.

Sure, the pressure is on, but when is it ever off?

I always think back to the day I signed for Celtic.

I walked into the dressing-room and the first thing Chris Sutton said to me was: ‘John, as long as we’re above them that’s all that matters.’

It didn’t take me long to realise he wasn’t wrong. And that’s the bottom line in all this.

If Gers get their act together and get their noses in front of Celtic in the title race, the Ibrox fans who are giving the players pelters today will be giving them support tomorrow.

Put it this way, the lads at Celtic wouldn’t have celebrated Rangers going out of Europe, thinking it’s fantastic. The truth of the matter is that they would not have been bothered one way of the other.

The result would have been mentioned at training at Lennoxtown on Wednesday morning. It would have been talked about, of course it would.

But the Celtic players wouldn’t have been rubbing their hands together the way Hoops punters were.

They wouldn’t have been thinking: ‘Let’s go all-out and kick them when they’re down.’ Trust me on that one.

I just think Rangers have enough about them to get back on track. Enough quality in their dressing-room to at least put up a fight.

First thing’s first, they need to beat Falkirk on the opening day and show they mean business this season. Show everyone they are a bunch of players fighting for each other.

A lot was said about their character when they went all the way to the UEFA Cup Final last term.

Their team spirit was mentioned on more than one occasion. It’s time to get some of that back

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
1-0 Gers over Falkirk.

Velicka.

Looked better, but still poor up the right flank with Dailly behind Whittaker, and somehow Beasley stays on the bench :confused:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
1-0 Gers over Falkirk.

Velicka.

Looked better, but still poor up the right flank with Dailly behind Whittaker, and somehow Beasley stays on the bench :confused:

JBN, you're joking, right? Looked better? :confused: I woke up at 4:00 and couldn't sleep. Someone had a link to the game and I watched it. Falkirk took the piss, m8. Falkirk missed a penalty at 0 - 0 and didn't leave Rangers half........the 3 times Rangers came across, the managed a goal on a miskick by Lafferty who was shooting and it sliced to the Lithuanian diver, Velicka. He tapped it in from 2 yards. Honestly, it was VERY poor by Rangers and yes, the 3 points is the most important, but they looked HORRIBLE. Falkirk move the ball well but struggle in the final 3rd. Boyd and Lafferty up front created nothing......literally. The only chances came from giveaways.

Anyway, if you think that looked better, then I'll be very pleased where Rangers finish this year. :D Beasley is injured still I believe

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Better doesn't take much after losing to Velicka's old pub team mate.

also, Beasley was on the Bench, injured or not, he has got to be better than Whittaker, whose 1 shining moment was a 45 yard run in Europe against Porto, a moment of magic.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Celtic were ALMOST as bad as Rangers were yesterday. St. Mirren deserved at least a draw. Celtic was given a GIFT of a penalty....never should have been called and the defender was red carded for his troubles.

****ing shocking.....I suppose it can only get better? :confused:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Craig Levein ring a bell........probably not.

As mentioned, it was a TERRIBLE call and never should have been a red card. Time to move on I suppose.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forgot about this one.......

Strachan tempered criticism over the award of the winning penalty by claiming Celtic should have had one just beforehand.

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was challenged by Saints goalkeeper Mark Howard. Unfurling the flag maybe takes the edge off the game

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan

"We could have had one five minutes before and we didn't bother, because it was sucking the life out of us on the bench, that game," he said.

"Speaking to the lads on the St Mirren bench, they definitely thought it was a penalty."

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cuellar Goes To Villa | Rangers | News | News | News
Cuellar Goes To Villa

DETAILS were finalised this evening with Aston Villa Football Club for the transfer of Carlos Cuellar, subject to him passing a medical tomorrow.

On Sunday morning the player and his representatives informed the Club it was their desire to invoke an exit clause for 10 million Euros and today an offer for that amount was received from Aston Villa.

An offer to extend the player's contract and to increase his salary substantially was declined as the player was adamant it was his desire to leave and play in the Premiership.

Carlos Cuellar wished to state the following: "I came to Rangers due to the professional manner of their officials and management and their promise of success. Everything I had been told about this fantastic Club has been true and last year's UEFA Cup run is something I will never forget.

Walter Smith"My ambition has always been to play for my national team and I believe that playing in the biggest league in the world for Aston Villa will help me realise that.

"When I told Martin Bain on Sunday that I wanted to leave, I did so with sadness. The Rangers supporters have been fantastic to me, but I am young and want to play at the highest level and I hope they will always welcome me back. I want to thank them for everything."

Manager Walter Smith, expressed his disappointment. He said: "This has come as a surprise and I am disappointed. Carlos Cuellar has been a great player for the Football Club and inevitably there has been speculation about him playing in the Premiership.

"The Club has received a substantial uplift in fee and we will now reinvest in the team."

Joke. I am gutted with this team...This sounds like Cuellar is the one wanting to be off and not like the Hutton saga where he was basically forced out the door... 10 Million Euro is like 7.8 Million Pounds...1.2 less than Hutton.

And Cuellar is really delusional enough to believe that he can play in Spain's A side? He should get introduced to Mikel Arteta, the two could have a good chat about playing in Britain and what kind of chances you have to play for Spain if your name is not Xavi, Cesc, or Fernando.

So is Boyd off to Cardiff in the swap for Loovens?

Surely Weir and Bougherra is not what we are in for this year all year?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh... And supposedly McGregor is going to be signing at Newcastle today and Boyd is off (whether to Germany or Cardiff remains to be seen)

and Cuellar is a Cnut. :(

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's hard not to laugh................This from August 8th......

Cuellar not on market says Smith

Rangers have not received offers for Carlos Cuellar
Walter Smith has made it clear that Rangers need not sell star man Carlos Cuellar to balance the books following their Champions League exit.

"We've not had an offer for Carlos Cuellar," said the under-fire manager at Ibrox.

"We don't want one and we are not seeking one. We don't have to offload players simply because of that situation.

"There is some money there for us to bring in a couple of players yet."

Cuellar has been linked with teams in the English Premier League in the wake of Tuesday night's defeat to Lithuanian side FBK Kaunas, which ended Rangers' European campaign before the start of their domestic season.

The Spanish defender endured constant speculation over his future last season thanks to performances which earned him player of the year awards from both the Scottish Football Writers' Association and SPL sponsors Clydesdale Bank.

However, Smith insisted his club's failure to bank a Champions League windfall that could have been worth over £10million does not mean he must sell players - in fact, he is looking to add to his squad.

"We don't have to sell the player or any player at this stage," he said.

"Some players were going to leave anyway and that will still happen. But it's not entirely because of our failure to qualify for the Champions League.

"We had some money there anyway but we are finding a difficulty in getting a level of player that we want to bring in, that's been a difficult task over the close season.

"But there is some money there for us to bring in a couple of players yet."

Smith has come in for a barrage of criticism over the last few days despite his long and successful association with the club.

However, he accepts it is part and parcel of the job and only hopes his team can put the disappointment behind them for Saturday's Scottish Premier League opener at Falkirk.

"Nobody likes to be criticised in any way, shape or form," he said.

"But you don't become a football manager expecting to go through your career without receiving a level of criticism.

"If you are not prepared to accept the criticism, you shouldn't become a football mananger. MY SPORT: DEBATE
Should Rangers cash in on Cuellar?

"It comes with the territory. When you lose out in the manner we did, you expect criticism and it's deserved.

"From the chairman all the way down, we feel the disappointment.

"The one thing we have to make sure of is that the disappointment doesn't allow our domestic results to be affected.

"There is that little bit extra pressure on us to do well in the league and our thoughts must be on that - we can't let ourselves be affected too greatly going into our first league game.

"Like every other club, when you don't have European football, that's what's left for you to aim for and everybody aims to do as well as they possibly can.

"We would hope to do well in the league. We certainly made up the gap that was there between ourselves and Celtic last season and they were good enough to go on and clinch the championship at the end when we fell just short.

"We have to make the SPL our aim for the season and the retention of the two cups we won last year would be something we'd look for as well.

"So that's where we start in terms of our domestic season to try to make up for the disappointment of getting knocked out the European arena so early."

Hmmm, someone is telling porkies again...............:D

Getting better every day.........

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shambles.

Smith had his hands tied on this one...Cuellar (so it seems) asked for this transfer because he aims to get a national Cap. unlikely at best imho. He is 27 and hasn't had a sniff yet after playing well in La Liga.

Rumours abound that little Shaun Maloney is part of this deal, If that happens I don't know what to say.

This club is in ruins front to back.

Murray park has really only graduated one class player in Alan Hutton.
The current youth crop just lost the thing to Celtic
The current A squad is probably on par with the reserves side of only 3-4 years ago, such a slippery slope.
Bain and Murray still look to be running th club with a view for it to be sold, yet who would buy a club in the SPL!? You'd be better served buying a team in the Championship and hope for promotion to the BPL (read QPR)

Getting better every day is right... :(

A distinctly average Sellick side will waltz to a 4th consecutive SPL title

RangersNowLookLikeCelticInThe90's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0