Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sapperton Rovers vs Royal City Club Coaches

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good one, Rob.:)

This was Peter Vranjkovic's, an executive at Sapperton Rovers, idea. He applied and received a grant from the BC gov't to promote the province's 150 year anniversary. Since the 1st football game in BC was in New Westminster, we decided to re-enact the game.

The 1862 game was between the Royal Engineers (or Sappers) and the local town's folk. The outcome was never recorded. Thus the 2008 outcome will establish past history :rolleyes: - and we wanted to be apart of that history!

The game is:
Sat, May 24, 2008. 3PM at Queens Park Stadium..

A mix of older, younger, and past Sapperton Rovers and New West players and coaches will participate.

We have bought the vintage 1862 jerseys for both teams - knickers, stripped uni's, socks - the works. Programs of the rules will be available to all that attend. The rules are a mix of rugby and soccer; in those days it was a very aggressive game (suits me just fine!:D). I really hope it doesn't get out of hand because it has the potential to do so.

We have politicians attending from all levels of gov't and there will be a lot of media attention. 'God Save The Queen' will be sang prior to the game. Dancers will perform at half time. And the beer garden is open!!!!

It will be a great day. I hope the soccer (and for that matter, the rugby) community come out and see how football was played 150 years ago.

Bryan Wevers

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Royal City owes them points, this could get ugly!
No one knows the 1862 outcome of the game, so we're writing the last 150 years of football history on May 24th.

The old game is a complete mix of soccer and rugby - so it really could get ugly if some guys get worked up. It's a good thing Brian Donald can't play.:D

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Careful WAB - you never know who you are playing against .... I hope your knickers fit. Is the beer garden open before the game ?

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
No one knows the 1862 outcome of the game, so we're writing the last 150 years of football history on May 24th.

The old game is a complete mix of soccer and rugby - so it really could get ugly if some guys get worked up. It's a good thing Brian Donald can't play.:D

Are you TTP, Brian must be what? 43

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Beer Garden open during the game.

This game will be a bunch of young and old guys. Its basically a celebration of the beginning of the game in BC as well as New Westminster soccer history with a Sapperton influence. Arnie Meers, Kevin Morris to name a couple who will be playing.

Honourary Coaches: Dave Corr, Joe Bell (yet to confirm)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh no. I’m not falling for that one again. Last time Walks asked me to wear some funky knickers and grab a couple of balls and play tackle with him it didn’t turn out as I expected. Once bitten, literally, twice shy.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If it's for couples, can walks and knvb get a run?

Since it's just down the road for me, I may stop in and have a look ....... from the beer garden of course :D Steve, maybe you can come down and speak to the lads about personal accountability :rolleyes:

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Had our 4th training session tonight. A little choppy still, but it's all coming together. I think we'll put on a pretty good show.

The players put on the uniforms tonight - apparently those knickers and tops are as hot as hell, but they looked great.

CBC Radio, City TV, Shaw Cable, and the local paper were all there to snap some shots and interview the guys. Now I know how Beckham feels:rolleyes:.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The game is also a fundraiser for Myanmar - Burma relief. WAB polled the players and they voted overwhelmingly to do this.

Sapp will share its 50/50 revenue with Save the Children Fund, and we ask that everyone bring a cheque with them made out to Care Canada or Save the Children Fund, two aid agencies which have been in Burma for many years. If you give a cheque over $10 then you geta tax receipt. With those agencies we don't have to worry about the Burmese military taking the goods.

We'll count up all the money at the game and have Azzi or somene from BCSA donate it on behalf of the local soccer community.

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Since it's just down the road for me, I may stop in and have a look ....... from the beer garden of course :D Steve, maybe you can come down and speak to the lads about personal accountability :rolleyes:

Nice avatar Walks. You wearing Doliba's contact lenses for this one?:D

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any one check out the front page of the Sun? Classic picture of the Sapperton boys.

Speaking of mugging for the camera... anyone check out WAB in the Sunday Province as part of the "best" high school basketball team ever.

Who is this mans press agent?

:D

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0