Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Possible new small stadium for Surrey in 2012

FriendsofSoccer

Apr 29, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Last week, Surrey was awarded the 2012 BC Summer Games. As there is no current spectator facility in the city, it would seem that this would probably open the door for a new multi-use small stadium south of the Fraser.

Surrey is already BC's second largest city at about 420,000...and it is still growing. The city is incredibly well equipped when it comes to recreational fields. But it's still the largest urban centre in Canada without a significant stadium.

There may be an opportunity here to create a new facility that could host events like small international friendlies between Canadian and foreign clubs, PDL & PCSL games, rugby, and community festivals. I think it's fair to say that Surrey is certainly lacking even a high-school quality stadium.

My concern is that the City of Surrey may be thinking too small on this with initial projections of a grandstand capable of holding 800-1200 in South Surrey. This might hamper the ability to expand the stadium in the future as space in this area is limited (Think Swangard) and there is no transit access as well.

I'm a fairly new resident to the area, so I want to get an idea as to what those of you who live in the Fraser Valley feel about this. Would you like to see a new small stadium in Surrey, what should it accommodate and where should it be?
[/FONT]

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It should be in the Fleetwood to Cloverdale area imho. centrally located in amongst where some of the most high density homes are built on postage stamp lots etc without being too close to the coty centre that is very drug addled and prone to vandalism (see Tom Binnie Athletic park that had a fire lit on the plastic pitch a week after it was opened some years ago now)

It should be built with a track and should probably not be as big as Swangard, but more along the lines of Mercer in New West with the ability for temporary stands to be built.

The problem with a location like Fleetwood/Cloverdale is lack of decent rapid transit.

Is that Valley Light rail project a reality? or just fodder for billboards on a few parked Semi trailers about town?

Cloverdale Athletic Park has a lot of gravel field space available for conversion, but it is smack dab in the middle of suburbia, not urban enough a spot for something like imho.

never really thought about the fact that Surrey never had a facility like this, and you are dead on.

FriendsofSoccer

Apr 29, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Regs,

I'm just going by some newspaper articles in the Surrey Now & Leader and some local scuttlebutt. A few people seem to think that South Surrey Athletic Park is a natural choice for a small stadium, but the city's quiet on the whole subject.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It does seem like the perfect setting down there in South Surrey - large complex surrounded by trees (Swangard like even) and with the Softball complex there, hosting world-class events already, they seem to deal with parking no problems.

I really think that there are only 3 logical places in Slurrey to put a small stadium: South Surrey, NAP, & Cap. You have to put it where there is already a complex of fields... I would model it the same as they have in Langley at MAP.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great ...build it in surrey where some drug addicted person will light the track/washrooms/bleachers on fire.

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great ...build it in surrey where some drug addicted person will light the track/washrooms/bleachers on fire.

that doesn't happen in south surrey - only privileged yahoos doing donuts on our grass pitches...

i think south surrey would be good (partly considering I live in WR). they have quite a number of facilities already in the area, and it would be a natural complement. Reg is dead on with our ability to host internationals (albeit it's only softball), and a small stadium (circa 5000?) would be good.

problem would be the WR/SS nimbyism... but we have a very strong, loud fitness oriented population that would (hopefully) out shout the retirees ... :D

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Girth
If they built it in Maple Ridge I sure they wouldn't have have changerooms as that caters to senior soccer! :rolleyes:

South Surrey Athletic Park is the ideal location. They already have the mold in place. A great grass pitch with floodlights, track around it and surrounded with trees. They just need to build the stadium on the side of the hill.

Check out the layout by typing in south surrey athletic park on the link.

Google Maps

bluebird

Mar 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
If they built it in Maple Ridge I sure they wouldn't have have changerooms as that caters to senior soccer! :rolleyes:

South Surrey Athletic Park is the ideal location. They already have the mold in place. A great grass pitch with floodlights, track around it and surrounded with trees. They just need to build the stadium on the side of the hill.

Google Maps

we also had a fire at westview girth remember some arse left the nets up and another arse took them down and burnt them in the 6 yd box one cold night :rolleyes:

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sounds like it could have been one of the guys from last years GEU premier team that got mad after another loss:D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Just being the Devil's Advocate on this one...but where else is the CITY OF SURREY going to build a stadium for the CITY OF SURREY?

Masry

Dec 15, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard kwantlens building a stadium as well for their soccer program. Or maybe thats the same thing?

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

Google Maps

Your spot on here G.
I use to be involved in the other football and the Surrey Rams have been pushing for a Stadium right where you are talking about. Infact they are now called the South Surrey Rams because of it and they have blue prints made with their design.
Unfortunately it will be used for ThrowBall too and that means the grass will be shite.

WestCoast

Oct 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't know if its a stadium but from what I've heard anthoer artificial turf field at NAP

Thats what it looks like they're building right beside NAP #2. Why not replace NAP #1 because that turf is done for.

Why not build a stadium at Bear Creek park. Pretty central and away from the crackerjacks. They have the space would just need more parking.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure they are going to start a construction site in The Park after they just fought tooth and nail to avoid 84th ave from blasting through there.

Also I think they would rather a "Small" Stadium the size of maybe Swangard to be closer to Rapid Transit.

and I agree with you on NAP #1. That pitch is as bad as PoMo's.

brutal.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0