Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Phillips AWOL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What does the esteemed TTP Football moderator think of this development? :rolleyes:

Anyone hear more details on why he walked out on the team? Drugs?

~Regs.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here we go.

(CP) - Lawrence Phillips is missing in action again.

The Montreal Alouettes suspended the CFL's leading rusher Monday after he left the team Sunday morning and skipped practice without explanation. Phillips' only contact with the club came Monday morning, when he complained of knee pain in a brief phone call to an Alouettes trainer. General manager Jim Popp suspended Phillips when he missed the team's 5 p.m. EDT flight Monday to B.C., where they play the Lions on Wednesday.

"I really don't know anything," Popp said from Montreal. "I haven't spoken to him, no one from our organization has except for our trainer.

"He called our trainer this morning complaining his knee was bothering him. That's no reason why he hasn't been there for the last couple of days. If it is, he surely hasn't told us."

Andy Silverman, Phillips' agent, shed some light on the situation late Monday, saying his client was unhappy with both the medical treatment he was getting and his contract situation.

"He's real banged up, his knees are bad," Silverman told TSN. "He left (Sunday) on two problems. The medical care he's getting wasn't good enough it wasn't helping. They don't have certain things a normal training room would have.

"Secondly there are things going on behind the scenes with contract negotiations. Basically, he's the No. 1 back in the CFL, he's the best running back the CFL has ever seen and he wants to get paid for it. He doesn't want to break the bank."

Phillips apparently was still in Montreal when he called the trainer, Popp said.

The CFL's leading rusher with 594 yards, Phillips is best known for his much-publicized off-field problems during his time in the NFL. The Als brought him to the CFL in attempt to rehabilitate his career.

Phillips has now walked away from the team twice.

During the first week of training camp, he left the team after accusing Popp and coach Don Matthews of dishonesty in their dealings with him. He later returned and won the starting job from popular incumbent Mike Pringle.

Montreal (8-0) plays the B.C. Lions (3-5) Wednesday (TSN, 10:30 p.m. EDT). Matthews has planned for the game without Phillips, leaving the running duties to Ryan Terry and Eric Lapointe. Pringle is out for the season after knee surgery.

Popp wouldn't close the door on having Phillips play in the game, although he called it "doubtful."

"We can take him off the suspended list at any time," said Popp. "No hard feelings about this, he's been great ever since he came here. We just wish we knew what was going on. Right now, it's just not a question we have all the answers to.

"We'll sit and talk as an organization on what we need to do (when he contacts them)."

While a star tailback at the University of Nebraska, Phillips pleaded no contest to domestic violence in a confrontation with a girlfriend. Still, Phillips was selected in the first round of the 1996 NFL draft by the St. Louis Rams.

He played 25 games for St. Louis before being released for insubordination in 1997. His 19 months with the team were marked by three arrests and 23 days in jail for violating his probation after a drunk-driving arrest in California.

Phillips signed with Miami later in the '97 season, but was released after pleading no contest to hitting a woman in a nightclub.

Phillips appeared to be on the way back in 1999 with NFL Europe's Barcelona Dragons. He ran for 1,021 yards and scored 14 touchdowns - both league records - and was voted the league's top offensive player.

He then signed with San Francisco, but was released during the '99 season for missing practice.
With the leagues best rusher the last two or three years standing on the sidelines, why would the even sign this guy in the first place? Sure he's a good, but Pringle is no slouch either. Just another idiotic move by Don Mathews, which brings me to another question. Why do teams keep hiring that guy? Montreal won't miss a beat because of this. they're too good.

Happy?

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Philips is AWOL because of one reason. His paycheque. His salary as the league's best running back is $43,000 per annum which after taxes and expenses (like cleats, training gear etc. which the CFL boys pay themselves!) works out to exactly fcuk all. All that and he gets to live in Quebec too. Mike Pringle's salary for being the leagues SECOND best runner and now a backup is $250,000/year. Go figure why Philips ain't there. It ain't fcuking worth it.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Or is it his Long Rap Sheet, I ain't talking Music

Originally posted by Dapotayto
Philips is AWOL because of one reason. His paycheque. His salary as the league's best running back is $43,000 per annum which after taxes and expenses (like cleats, training gear etc. which the CFL boys pay themselves!) works out to exactly fcuk all. All that and he gets to live in Quebec too. Mike Pringle's salary for being the leagues SECOND best runner and now a backup is $250,000/year. Go figure why Philips ain't there. It ain't fcuking worth it.

The guy had to come to the CFL because he screwed up so many times in the NFL, that they would'nt give him a chance any more. So he comes to the CFL to back up Pringle, who has proven himself in the CFL, so he gets a big salary. Pringle goes down with a knee injury and yes Philips has shinned, but the 43,000 is the contract he signed, so live with it.

I can't stand all these pro-athletes that want to re-negotiate as soon as they start playing well, and doing what they are paid to do.

Send him back to the States, where he can work the streets instead of play Pro-Football in the CFL.

Roar Lions Roar vs. the 8-0 Alles

HOS

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't stand all these pro-athletes that want to re-negotiate as soon as they start playing well, and doing what they are paid to do

Really, if that's the case HOS then you must have severe hypertension. Perhaps you should consider regular blood pressure tests. Loyalty in sports has not existed since Grunge music rocked the world and I seriously hope you have moved on since then. It is by no means a player-only problem as well. I could list numerous examples of Owner/Manager backstabbings. Here's one:The Vancouver Canucks, a well known hockey team play a certain centre, let's call him Brendan Morrison, on the right wing for the first half of the NHL season. Morrison, not enamored of the situation but nonetheless a grateful and loyal employee sucks it up and plays hard. The only problem is he is playing out of position and therefore doesn't garner as many points as he usually would playing his "normal" position. He is then criticised in the media by the coach for not contributing enough although he is working his ass off FOR THE TEAM. Later on the coach moves Morrison back to centre ice and he immediately gains attention for his excellent play. The Canucks make the playoffs and Morrison is a big reason why. All is good in Canuck land. BUT...here comes the off season and contract negotiation time for Morrison. What happens? Brian Burke, General Manager for the Canucks claims that Morrison does not deserve salary parity with the rest of the league because he really just didn't produce enough. Well, why the fcuk did he not produce enough? Try playing half a season out of position and playing hard out of loyalty for the team then getting reamed in the ass by Burke in the Canadian media. Lucky for him the salary arbitrator doesn't have his head up his ass like the Canucks management. I'm not defending Lawrence Philips. He's a prick, but he puts people in the seats, he helps the team win and it's garbage if you think players are the only greedy/unloyal people in sports.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
110/70 and a big Pearl Jam Fan

Really, if that's the case HOS then you must have severe hypertension. Perhaps you should consider regular blood pressure tests. Loyalty in sports has not existed since Grunge music rocked the world and I seriously hope you have moved on since then.
...it's garbage if you think players are the only greedy/unloyal people in sports.

DaPotato, would you like some wine with your fries.

I am talking about the norm of pro sports athletes behaviour. Morrison may be one of the few cases of where a player can get the shaft and still go into arbitration and get 2 million a year.

This Philips story happens every week in any one of the major pro sports. It has gotten so bad that the sporting world is looking at a Major League Baseball strike in 2002, and an NHL lock-out in 2004. The reasons behind this is no salary cap, but there are other issues that are present.

I am not saying that management and the owners are Saints in this whole twisted sports game, but player salaries have gotten out of hand, and contracts that are signed don't seem to mean a thing anymore in this day and age.

Look at why this player signed for 44,000 in the first place, no one else wants him because all the B.S. that he brings with him, play for the money you signed for then re-negotiate after you put up the big numbers at the end of the season.

The top stars in all the leagues have the owners by the balls because they put the asses in the seats, so they can get the big bucks, this guy is not a star in the CFL yet, so play out your year, and then go after bigger money.

HOSchecksBloodPressureatDrugStorewhilelisteningtoGrunge

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS, I agree wholeheartedly with you. Pearl Jam Rocks.:)Now Regarding Philips: Dude, he makes $40k/yr. Almost everyone except practice roster guys make more. I don't want to be whining on his behalf but I sure as fcuk wouldn't stick around for that kind of money.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
play for the money you signed for then re-negotiate after you put up the big numbers at the end of the season.
Not to get on a Hockey rant, but then you get guys like Iginla(sp) in Calgary who has ONE great year and demands 7.5 Mill. He's nothing but a glorified Kamloops Blazer. (a bit strong )

Players would not get, if owners did not pay. If there was a limit on what guys can get contractually then none of this would happen. Again sorry about the Hockey example, but if I were an owner I would give Iginla(sp) 4.5 and pay him his 3-mill if he put up the numbers again. Call it a well earned bonus. Make him prove it.

I fear Pro-sports as we know is dead. I can't blame the players for taking whatever they can get, it's the bloody owners who are the lazy ones. I say there should be a min. and Max. salary and every thing else is based on performance. Make guys part of the Franchise, give them a chunk of the pie. Any self respecting company does it. Why can't sport? With that you'll probably improve the quality of the any of the pro games.

For the Phillips debacle, I say piss on him you have Mike Flipping Pringle(sp) on the bench. What else do you want? Let Phillips be someone's else's problem. Owners need to put there foot down collectively. It can't just be one.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do you think it is just a coincidence that this all went down after Pringle had season ending knee surgery?????????

The guy is a great talent but a complete IDIOT! I just hope that Montreal lets him go and we never hear from him again.

I like the CFL for a couple or reasons and one of them is the fact that the players aren't paying for crazy dollars, just an average guys wage! They do it to get to the big show in the NFL and it's why the games are usually so good!

John

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
$40 G not bad for 6 months of Footbal

HOS, I agree wholeheartedly with you. Pearl Jam Rocks.:)Now Regarding Philips: Dude, he makes $40k/yr. Almost everyone except practice roster guys make more. I don't want to be whining on his behalf but I sure as fcuk wouldn't stick around for that kind of money.

I hear you Dapotayto, 40k is nothing in the big picture of the sports world. Well the CFL is barely on the Map in the sports world. The minimum salary is like 34k and rookies min. is 32k. It is a working mans sports league, most guys probably have jobs in the off season, or else thay make the same amount as most working stiffs like me. The Lions have been pushing the average guy football league to try and get the fans out, I don't think it is working. I guess we want to see the over paid cry babies that are in the major 4 sports leagues.

I even had a guy come to my house last year trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner, this guy played for the Stampeders the year before, but was dropped in the offseason.

James "Quick" Parker works for the City of Burnaby, doing alot more work than therob and making less money.

knvb, on your issue of Iginla and Calgary, he had a great season last year, with not the best players surrounding him, playing in a very difficult division. If he did what he did in the States, the money woul be automatic, but it is small market Canada, were there are no big buck for the all-stars.
Iginla may not deserve 7.5 mil., but based on what other guys are getting down south he should get that kind of money.

Canadain hockey will develop the stars, and the big yankee clubs will pay them the big bucks.

H "Quick" S

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anything to do with Lawrence Phillips has the disclaimer "GO FIGURE" attached to it.

Sure he's not making alot of dough. Last I remember you have to have done something to earn any kind of Money. He has been given chances at several NFL clubs. Phillips has done nothing except washout every where he has gone. He had one good year in the Euro-football league (shite competition). He has a bad history as a player and a person. Oddly enough, people keep routing for the guy to make it (even 5BT).

I think the three strike rule has been applied to Mr. Phillips a few time.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did anyone watch the news tonight? There was an interview with his agent, erm, former agent now, who said he has personally apologised to the Als management, saying they have done absolutely nothing wrong and that he had quit as Phillips' agent.

The reason was due to Phillips making stuff up that wasn't true.

Somebody needs to stuff this piece of work on his ass. How the hell was he even allowed into the country with a criminal past? The clown has punched out women, including his girlfriend, uttered terrorist threats, and a bunch of other things.

No wonder the CFL is dying :rolleyes:

~RegswantsLeonNeonBrighttocomeback:mad:

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Phillips WILL be gone

I agree with everyone who is condemning this guy. I suspect this might be Pringle's last year based on his age and how banged up he is now. Phillips may not have known Pringle's very high money when he signed but Pringle has been a franchise player as they say pretty much every year since he has been in the league. It is likely no consolation to Phillips that if he were patient and had a great year, that he could be hauling down similar dough next year if Pringle retires.

I agree with HOS' posts. Depaytato: You are probably wrong on CFL salaries for American players. QBs and some top receivers like Darren Flutie and probably Alfred Jackson and Milt Stegall are all making more than $43000 but I don't think all those American DBs are making that kind of money any more. I used to be closer to it when friends were in the CFL, but I doubt that a lot of US players and some younger Canadians are making more than $30,000 and some, I know today are between $22,000 and $25,000. The days of the big CFL salaries went with the crowds leaving. Guys like Darren Flutie are probably between $82 and $85,000 as are the top Canadians depending on position.

Right now with Pringle out you'd think Don Matthews would want to find a way to get Phillips back. On the other hand, he can be pretty tough when guys screw up like this guy is. The Als likely had no salary room to pay Phillips more as they already were out a reported $250,000 for Mike Pringle and a similar amount for their QB, Rocky Cavillo.

I didn't like Matthews media presence when he coached here but I did not hear a single player in those days (unless they got cut) say bad things about him even privately. He is a winning coach who is now better with the media, but not a great interview from a fans point of view. His coaching record speaks for itself. He gets attacked in the media because he sure isn't buddy buddy with any of them. And he can't keep a wife. He has a huge frigging ego, but like a former CFLer told me - they all do! Players like Matthews so he must have something going for him.

Phillips agent quiting says it all about that guy!

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well it's becoming obvious that Philips position is indefensable and the CFL should just say bu-bye to the guy. Besides all the crap he brings he takes attention away from the guys in the league who deserve it. Don Mathews is probably just the guy to get rid of him too, the only problem being Mike Pringle's injury. The annoying thing about all this is that any publicity is good publicity and with the NFL season about to begin Lawrence Philips is probably just one serious knee injury away from getting another shot at the big time. It's the Mike Tyson syndrome. Inevitably some team is gonna be desperate for a runner and look who's available. Anyone have any thoughts? Will Philips be back in the NFL? Man, it's not like they don't have their fair share of criminals in the league already.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just heard Phillips is back and spoke this afternoon will team officials. Sounds like they all kissed and made up. He will play this weekend...

Appartently Phillips was just frustrated and stayed home for a couple of Lawrence Days. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0