Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Olympic Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great Game

Sweden 2- Czecks 1....Great game to watch. I have never watched a game with so much talent on the ice. Jaromir Jagr was a magician and if it wasn't for the play of both Salo and Hasek the score in this game would have been outragous. It is amazing to see how much the larger ice surface benefits the European players. There speed and finesse is a step ahead of the North American slugs. Mats Sundin had another good game scoring one and having one dissallowed. Hopefully Canada will not embarass the country tomorrow.:rolleyes:

mehmet

Aug 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada BETTER turn it around

The Canadian team should be ashamed of themselves, after the game against Germany (full credit to Germany, too). I sure hope Mario can turn it around, but naming him team captain looks like we used up a roster spot that should have gone to someone useful like Thornton, Recchi, Bertuzzi, etc.

Patrick Roy's rejection to play for Canada is disgraceful. Just because we have a collection of NHL superstars wearing the Maple Leaf at the Olympics, doesn't mean we're the best hockey nation in the world. Didn't we learn anything from Nagano?

Also, how did Canada get to be the favorite, if the Czechs are the reigning tournament champs? Canadians always perform best when they're the underdogs. Couldn't Quinn use this little bit of psychology to the team's advantage?

If Canada loses this tournament again, will we come up with a lame excuse like "it doesn't matter - winning the Stanley Cup is what hockey is really all about"? Come on Canada - show the world we're no. 1 and make all of Canada proud!!!!!!

Lots of questions I know, but come on boys - lets get down to work!

CANADA, CANADA, CANADA!!!

Mehmet. :mad:

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Meh-muppet

nice flag Aussie:rolleyes: the only thing disgraceful as far as Canada should be concerned is all of the broken legs from the soo-called fans that are jumping off the Team Canada Bandwagon (in the meaningless prelims):mad:get some nuts and show a little support rather than do the easy thing and pick appart where we are falling down!!! Super Mario willbe back and like you said Canada always comes through when (for Dude)they're underdogs!!! I still don't think we are underdogs, but we will prevail...;)

GuinnessstillsaysGoCanadaGo!!!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also, how did Canada get to be the favorite, if the Czechs are the reigning tournament champs? Canadians always perform best when they're the underdogs. Couldn't Quinn use this little bit of psychology to the team's advantage?

We are now, and I'm betting the team will come though, get to the finals (all 3-2 or similar type scores), and win this damn thing with their backs against the wall.

The “big ice surface” stuff is overplayed. We have the best mix of youth and leadership, the best skill, and the most championship experience. Our guys are the best the NHL has to offer. I don’t care what anyone says about the “Torpedo” being a better system, and about the Euros being faster…our guys are, for the most part, the best in the NHL…the fastest league in the world!

The boys will adjust, and beat Sweden 3-2 in the final.

mehmet

Aug 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Get your head out of your moose's ass!

Nuts? The easy thing? How can anyone support the performances from Friday and yesterday? Canada was attrocious. They looked like a bunch of nervous teenagers and barely eked out a victory against a game Germany. Talk about dealing with the pressure of 'favorites' role - Quinn should bring Sale & Pelletier into the dressing room before tonights game for some instruction on how to deal with Olympic pressure. Quinn should be concerned about the ccoky attitude of his Canucks - could lead to their downfall.

As for the prelims, you should be happy that Canada has 3 games to work things out - otherwise we'd have been finished off in record time and you would be suffering from a broken leg. Canada has a chance to make an impression on the world of hockey. I hope they take it. Come on boys - get it together!!!!!!

One other thing - I always hated Mike Pecker, but now that he's wearing the (red) maple leaf, I think he's the greatest. Here's a guy that Canada is going to rely on more and more as the tournament progresses. He's been the best Canuck so far.

Mehmet. :mad:

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Meh-muppet

What are you trying to say here???
barely eked out a victory against a game Germany
anyway, as I said before the prelims are for getting out the rust!!! I tend to agree with the Peca shout, he is top drawer!!! As for supporting Friday night's performance; I will always support our Boys win, lose or draw!!! I didn't exactly like the way they played, but their skill and experience will come through in the clutch!!!;)

GuinnessstilllikesCanada'schances!!!;)

Oilers27

Feb 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadians

The Canadians should change the colour of their uniforms to orange cause they look like a bunch of injuryed cones right Now!!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Eddie

Originally posted by Oilers27
Sounds like eddie's going to be playing in goal tonight for Canada

I've read the same. Why not? If Eddie stones the commies, ride him in. If not, we can always go back to Marty. Cujo looked fightfull Friday. Going down earlier than Guinness' missus at a Surrey United bachelor party.:eek:

Dude- whowantsaninvitetothenextstagg;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Apprentice,

Instead of a :rolleyes: , why don't you offer an opinion...i.e.: who has a better overall package?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He's very young(even younger than you:eek: )and still learning Dude. Lay off the Young Padiwan would you?

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude, It is always good to have a mix of young stars and veterans who have been to the show and know what it takes to win the big games, but it is another thing to be able to play together. Look how much offence our team has generated , none of the line combinations have been producing anything. When it comes down to the semi's or finals Canada could have an edge mentally due to the "Championship Experience" but they got to get there first.

Gange, Smyth, Iginla ...our youth, have been invisible. I don't even know how Gagne made the team and the only reason Smyth is there is because of Kevin Lowe. Iginla earned the spot with his huge point total but so far he hasn't played to his potential, along with every one but fleury and Peca.

And Finally, we are not the most skilled team in the tournament. Russia, Sweden, and the Czecks all have more skillful players than we do. They play a more finesse style of Hockey which is more suitable for this type of competition. They are clearly more comfortable using the long pass and with the lack of physical play they are able to use the large ice to there advantage.

You can earn your way up to his sidekick once you shed those Hab colors!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
dreadful so far

It's obvious, Canada has been playing terrible thus far, but I think they can turn it around. I think their main problem is that they look way to nervous, making some terrible passes and having trouble controlling the puck. However, when it comes to the elimination rounds, every team will be very careful and the games will be much tighter. I'm not saying they will win for sure, but at least they'll be close games and hopefully they can pull them out for the win.

Also, I think McInnis is playing terrible and should be the one sitting out!

Cheers, Gomes

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
appy

I agree that a lot of the Euros have some skilled players…Sundin, Naslund, Jagr, Fedorov, Bure, Dopita, Radzinski all come to mind. We have a couple of guys named Lemieux, Sakic, Karia, Yserman, Niedermayer, and yes, Gagne that most people would say have a bit of skill and soft hands. Add Mike Pecca, who’s a perfect fit for the larger ice surface, where his skills become more evident.

You, like 90% of Canada, are panicking right now. The boys are simply gripping the sticks too tight right now. They were caught off guard and shelled Friday. Better effort yesterday, but had trouble finishing, and had about the ugliest goal ever scored against. Best plan now would be to SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT from anywhere, and hit everyone in sight. Keep it simple, and they’ll win today.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear there's a new Russian player- Annatov Kornakrutov- on the trading block. I'm pretty sure Anna has been involved in swaps before...:eek:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Finland 3 - 1 Russia

Should Canada needs to rethink their strategy for tonight?

No doubt Canada wants to beat the Czechs, but a win will put them against the Russian in the quarter finals -- a loss will match them up against the Fins.

What would you do?

:confused:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Go for the win

I think you go for the win regardless. The boys need to know they can beat the best (Czechs are defending champs), and the momentum can't hurt.

Interesting scenario though.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You, like 90% of Canada, are panicking right now.

why the fcuk would I be panicking...I could care less if Canada lost all three round robin games. I was just trying to point out that Canada is not the most skilled team in the tournament. Your the one that keeps jumping all over everybody if they say Canada is the shites. They have been playing like crap so if I state the obvious am I also a turncoat?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0