Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ok, say a person's back into it, now equipment:

jaco

Jun 27, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can anyone list a few mid-priced shoes that are worth looking at?

I know in every sport there's over the top equipment and then there's equipment that is a good bang for your buck (no comments on that please).

I haven't bought a set of cleats inover 20 years.

What about shinpads. Any good models that I should look at also.

Is buying used shoes like buying used underwear, a no-no? Well a no-no for most. After reading quite a few posts here I can tell that for a few, used underwear might be a selling point. :D

I didn't see an equipment forum here, I think.

Thx again.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You said you last played 20 years ago. Don't you have your old ones anymore? Even a shitty pair of adidas will last for at least 53 seasons.

But even if you don't and you must buy a new pair, stay away from Greek equipment. Greek companies are all corrupt and there are pictures to prove it.

There are many important choices to make when buying a new pair of boots, but by far the most crucial is purchasing the correct colour. The right colour will first give your manager an idea of what kind of skill and attitude to expect from you. Also -- after you've made the team, of course -- the right colour choice can have a psychological impact on your opponent. Red or yellow, and you'll come off as a Brazilian or some other nation of latino descent -- this could be good but you'll need to be able to pull it off, otherwise you may look impressive for all of 60 seconds after the kick-off.

Blue can also be sharp at times, particularly if you're a defender. The Italians are known for this and, as such, look fantastic in anything blue.

But lastly, and most importantly, don't be fooled by the 16-year old sales clerk who may try to sell you a pair of anything in white or silver. Or, for that matter a pair with a red cross on it. You'll be laughed right off the park on your first try out with some valley team and worst of all you'll never achieve more than 2nd place, at best. PM Inspector Blake for more info on this.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
jaco said:
Can anyone list a few mid-priced shoes that are worth looking at?

I know in every sport there's over the top equipment and then there's equipment that is a good bang for your buck (no comments on that please).

I haven't bought a set of cleats inover 20 years.

What about shinpads. Any good models that I should look at also.

Is buying used shoes like buying used underwear, a no-no? Well a no-no for most. After reading quite a few posts here I can tell that for a few, used underwear might be a selling point. :D

I didn't see an equipment forum here, I think.

Thx again.
Funny, I never gave that much thought about shin pads. I hate the damn things. In my opinion buy the cheapest ones you can, especially if you are going to be playing FVSL Div 3. They don't hack and are more concerned about finesse.:rolleyes:

As far as cleats go, ask for the Argentinas or Golas. :D

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some things that seem to be making a come back and you should get out and buy today are: very tight (nut hugging) shorts to eliminate opposing players from grabbing onto and slowing you down. As for shin guards as I stated in an earlier post you're a tough one due to the fact that your legs and ankles are so badly out of shape that you may want to look at something a little larger to accomodate your lack of muscle and to eliminate the blubber from seperating on your ankles which may put your legs asleep during play? Your shoes should definately be made from a harder plastic as appose to your traditional leather that you see in this day and age. The reasons for this is due to the fact that if your opponents see you wearing plastic shoes that look awkward and uncomfortable they will not kick you or even mark you for that matter as they will realize right off the bat(not just after they see you play) that you are a very terrible soccer player and that you probably should have never laced them up again. I also think that since you will probably not touch the ball alot or at all during games that you should try and go to every practice you can as the sport can be expensive especially after your team mates see you out there in that first game back from 20 years off cruising around tripping all over the place probably making a complete ass of yourself. Once again I want to wish you all the best and I hope that some of these tips help you in your comeback.

jaco

Jun 27, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
girth said:
I also think that since you will probably not touch the ball alot or at all during games that you should try and go to every practice you can as the sport can be expensive especially after your team mates see you out there in that first game back from 20 years off cruising around tripping all over the place probably making a complete ass of yourself. Once again I want to wish you all the best and I hope that some of these tips help you in your comeback.

I was hoping that at least I would be able to chase after the ball when it goes out of bounds. Sounds like silver plastic shoes would fit the bill nicely.

I was thinking of getting one of those GPS armband things so that I could tell how fast I was running (walking) and tell where I was on the field. Now I haven't run in a long time but I do know how to race walk so I can probably keep up to the pace with my racewalking.

The more I read about it all, the more I can't wait to get on the pitch!

Socceroos

May 19, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
girth said:
Some things that seem to be making a come back and you should get out and buy today are: very tight (nut hugging) shorts to eliminate opposing players from grabbing onto and slowing you down. As for shin guards as I stated in an earlier post you're a tough one due to the fact that your legs and ankles are so badly out of shape that you may want to look at something a little larger to accomodate your lack of muscle and to eliminate the blubber from seperating on your ankles which may put your legs asleep during play?

This is for you jaco....i dont wanna be nasty but....there come's a time when all you're good for is in the 'management' position.... or, better yet, beer bitch is often appreciated in most summer leagues. but, if ya can't handle these positions, there's always referee positions required...you fit the bill: fat ankles, over 38, S - L - O - W, and completely outta touch with today's game. be kind to the rest of us. admit your age, admit defeat......

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jaco,
Black boots are out, colours are in. Preferrably white ones. I believe the companies call it pansy white but you can check that out.
Other than that, luscious red and robin's egg blue or similar colours will help you fit in nicely.

SCP

Aug 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jaco: if you have no idea what equipment to buy...maybe you should try your luck at basket weaving and I am sure your local community colleges would be able to help or your mommy!!!

jaco

Jun 27, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
SCP said:
Jaco: if you have no idea what equipment to buy...maybe you should try your luck at basket weaving and I am sure your local community colleges would be able to help or your mommy!!!

Holy shite some of you are bitter. Just cuz you can't afford the newest and best equipment, don't take it out on us who can!!

Its not always he who plays the best but those who look the best.

Or is that for a different board, crap - I can't remember. Anyway I have to go eat another dozen doughnuts.

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jaco, welcome to TTP. There's an ongoing battle between 'Us' and 'Them' here.

You seem well on your way to being an 'Us' :)

Oh, and definitely go with the white boots.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
jaco said:
Holy shite some of you are bitter. Just cuz you can't afford the newest and best equipment, don't take it out on us who can!!

Its not always he who plays the best but those who look the best.

Or is that for a different board, crap - I can't remember. Anyway I have to go eat another dozen doughnuts.

Jaco,

You appear to be a fud of the highest order. I'm quite surprised people are seriously responding to your 'questions'. What gives?

jaco

Jun 27, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Jaco,

You appear to be a fud of the highest order. I'm quite surprised people are seriously responding to your 'questions'. What gives?

Ah nothing gives, comoon sense got the better of me.

On a more serious note. I appreciate the feedback and I'm gonna try a 20 year "comeback" over the summer.

Cheers.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
taco,

fcuk it all! boots, shin-pads, it's all crap and over rated! wear your old yellow Nike waffle trainers with 2 pieces of cardboard for shinny's on the pitch! thatll do till ya pull your hammy which after 20 years should be in the first five minutes! then it off to the beer gardens for another twenty.......years that is! :D

5bt back in action after a wee TTP hibernation :bronco:

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I, for one Jaco, am a big proponent of black boots, preferably with a high quality polish job. This style of footwear can prove to be very versatile; just throw on a string of pearls and you are ready for a romantic evening of candlelight dinner and dancing under the stars.

Socceroos

May 19, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
kurgan said:
Jaco, welcome to TTP. There's an ongoing battle between 'Us' and 'Them' here.

You seem well on your way to being an 'Us'

I am not quiet sure if is ready for "Us" yet. I propose we arrange a meeting and put him through some wind sprints and such....just to see if he is ready for "It"

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter, nobody's truly ever ready for your lot..... :D

Don't make Jaco see the 'roo yet - you'll scar him for life, and then we'll be stuck with another burden on the public healthcare system :rolleyes:

Jaco: welcome aboard the train to loonyville. Please watch out for psychotic mercedes drivers in shopping mall parking lots, bad fashion advice, match-fixing Greeks in the trees, and fvsl div 2 teabaggers while you navigate these treacherous waters.....

Hope your comeback goes well. Personally, I'd recommend getting yourself into as many games of pickup soccer as possible before you try the league stuff. At least you can get to use whatever stuff you decide to buy, and nobody can cut you from that level....

beerz,

stew :cool:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jaco, this is Rino garble garble garble, I will make grable you some garble boots grable, you come down garble to my garble shop garble. Best boots garble you ever have garble.

Rino

Is "Garble" a good way to discripe Rino talking, love the guy.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby said:
Funny, I never gave that much thought about shin pads. I hate the damn things. In my opinion buy the cheapest ones you can, especially if you are going to be playing FVSL Div 3. They don't hack and are more concerned about finesse.:rolleyes:

As far as cleats go, ask for the Argentinas or Golas. :D

Forget buying the cheapest shin pads use some old magazines they'll do the trick.

Army and Navy sells good quality boots for $9.99. Remember it's the player that makes the boots. Unless you are CDK.

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've found that a couple copies of the Laws of the Game work quite well as shin pads. Although the one time I pulled one out to help explain to the ref where he was mistaken I got a Yellow.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Perhaps Rino could make him a copy of the very same soccer boots he made for Aerosmith FC garble garble?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0